• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I am finding it interesting that RDNA2 and RDNA3 are both officially part of the Navi family now, with GCN each generation had a different name (polaris and vega), but this time all are under Navi.
Assigning a number to each revision is probably easier from a marketing perspective.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question: why do you neee 36 CUs for BC? Can't you have a higher amount and turn off a few?

Nov 2, 2017
Is there some proof for this? + we don't know how big rdna2 scale ;)
www.computerbase.de

AMD Radeon RX 5700 und RX 5700 XT im Test: Architektur-Vergleich, Preis-Leistung, Custom Designs (Update)

AMD Radeon RX 5700 (XT) im Test: Architektur-Vergleich, Preis-Leistung, Custom Designs (Update) / Navi vs. Vega vs. Turing vs. Pascal

It doesn't compare Polaris vs Vega but it compares both of them against Navi and the gap between Polaris vs Navi is 39% while Vega vs Navi is 28%.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Sony pls...

DSflu74.jpg
lol

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Can't believe some are still questioning PS5 RDNA 2 and are still citing GitHub.

For months now it has been right in front of us. Kleegamefan's descriptions of the game he saw running in real-time on a PS5 Navi-based dev kit in June 2019 show this:

Kleegamefan said:
So imagine you are doing a slow flyby along a river under a medieval-looking stone bridge during the day and you are seeing:

1-Dynamic and totally accurate-looking water reflections

2-Life-like super bright HDR highlights

3-Secondary environment reflections highlighted on wet stone and realistic moss

4-Volumetric, low hanging fog which realistically distorts the ray traced reflections when viewed through it in certain instances

It blew my fucking socks off

A few more posts in the various threadmarks too.

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
Can't believe some are still questioning PS5 RDNA 2 and are still citing GitHub.

For months now it has been right in front of us. Kleegamefan's descriptions of the game he saw running in real-time on a PS5 Navi-based dev kit in June 2019 show this:

A few more posts in the various threadmarks too.

No one is questioning RDNA 2. It was pretty obvious when Xbox had it PS5 would too.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
dont You guys think is Sony had an equal or better gpu they would had countered xboxes announcement by now with some type of tweet or something.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Probably worth posting this here from the sony first party thread:
Pete Hines was on the Kinda Funny podcast yesterday and he and Greg got into a conversation about how three years ago he was on the podcast. They talked about how he's rarely even in San Francisco and he said that he really doesn't think that he's even been back to there since then. So, Greg asked what brought him back and he said that he was over at Sony getting an update on new PS5 stuff

They don't go into it any further than that because Greg obviously knows that Pete can't say anything. So, while Sony has been quiet publicly they're clearly doing stuff behind the scenes with devs.

Seems like Sony are briefing third parties on PS5 now, maybe its about PSM and deadlines for preparing a trailer?

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Hold longer as they can, the reveal will be amazed for sure.
The next-gen games have been brewing a long time. I can see why they dont want to prevail too early because of the read/write speed, and the ray tracing can be unpredictable if they haven't got the final kit. They want to show the true contents, run on the real final next-gen model, not pre-config next-gen on PC based hardware.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dont You guys think is Sony had an equal or better gpu they would had countered xboxes announcement by now with some type of tweet or something.

I believe MS have they edge on teraflops. However, I don't think Sony would try and counter anything Xbox say/reveal. They have their own marketing plan and there's no reason to believe Sony would try to go tit for tat against Microsoft on console reveals.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I'm leaning on PS5 not being as powerful, but... no, not necessarily. They wouldn't want to look so reactionary or to be marching to MS's beat. They've left speculation, based on MS saying something and Sony not, out in the ether for months before. e.g. re. raytracing. They'll say things in their own time whether those things are favourable or unfavourable.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the ps5 ends up being 9tf, would you console users, who don't have a pc, and have a bit more expendable income consider buying an xbox as well as the ps5 for third party content? My system now is that my one x is used for third party games while my ps4 pro is used for exclusives. Its worked pretty well so far.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
With GoT having a release date, and every month until then having something big, I wonder if Sony will start quiet until after it releases. A lot of people thought they were quiet because of tlou releasing soon but with no time at all between tlou and GoT, might they just wait it out and do a shorter than normal reveal

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
A 4TF part having 56CUs seems a bit bizarre, something that might warrant some looking into by one of our GitHub masters

Ah yes, I think that the assumption was that Sparkman was Lockhart based on earlier info (not sure what info exactly) and that the rest of the info was from Arden and had been copied and pasted across.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think this is how Sony operates.

They'll do their own stuff on their own timeframe. I wouldn't be suprised if they show the TF on a spreadsheet behind Cerny without even talking about it. Like they did with HW Raytracing.

The games will do the talking and even if the 9.2 tf thing is true nobody outside of Digital Foundry will be able to tell the difference. It wouldn't even suprise me if sonys first party ps5 exclusives look better than anything ms has for the Series X.

In the end, even at 9.2 vs 12 tf, the main difference will be a call of duty in native 4k60 on Series X and "only" 1800P/60 on ps5. MS eclusives will look fantastic or at least will run in 4k/60 and so will the PS5 exclusives.

The difference between 9.2 and 12 is smaler than this time around with the One vs. PS4.

If the ps5 ends up being 9tf, would you console users, who don't have a pc, and have a bit more expendable income consider buying an xbox as well as the ps5 for third party content? My system now is that my one x is used for third party games while my ps4 pro is used for exclusives. Its worked pretty well so far.

I'm going to buy a nice 3080ti this year if it releases and still will buy a PS5 + Series X day 1.

PS5 for most games
Series X for Game Pass
3080ti for some games i really rather play on a PC

But i like trophies more than achievements and the DS4 is my prefered Controller. The extra power didn't sway me to my Xbox One X or PC for 3rd party titles. The only game i wanted to play on my X over my PS4 Pro was Red Dead Redemption 2.

With GoT having a release date, and every month until then having something big, I wonder if Sony will start quiet until after it releases. A lot of people thought they were quiet because of tlou releasing soon but with no time at all between tlou and GoT, might they just wait it out and do a shorter than normal reveal

Nintendo did their reveal a few months before launch. Sony can do that if they want to. Now that it feels like E3 is dying it will be interesting to see how publishers will react.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

This sort of logic requires confirmation bias. You might think it would be prudent for Sony to immediately respond if they have a better GPU, but Sony might think it better to deliver that blow later.

OR

Sony might have a reveal plan in place and wont let their competitors strategy alter their own.

OR

Sony could have a weaker GPU.

Basically, the lack of info from Sony provides no insight whatsoever as to how their hardware stack up against MS'

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sony have a period of nothing between FF7R and TLOU2 for like 6 weeks, itll probably happen either during then or in july.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I never bought into the idea that the PS5 reveal date was affected by upcoming PS4 games. I think "they are waiting until some next-gen games are ready to be shown" is a more plausible reasoning

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If they have the more powerful one, it doesn't matter when they decide to announce it. Microsoft isn't going to force their hand.

If you have the weaker machine, it's usually safer to go first.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Still confused by the supposed 3~ times spend on cooling (than is standard) for a theoretical final chip (36cu@2ghz) which we now know won't run super hot.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The games will do the talking and even if the 9.2 tf thing is true nobody outside of Digital Foundry will be able to tell the difference. It wouldn't even suprise me if sonys first party ps5 exclusives look better than anything ms has for the Series X.

This is pretty much a guarantee. MS' games are going to have to run on an Xbox One for the first one or two years, they've already made that clear. Then you have the Lockhart factor. 12TF is a very nice number but when you have to design your games around significantly weaker hardware, it's not going to have that much of an impact. A PS5 at 9TF with exclusives built around those 9TF are going to look better and do things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, full stop.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much a guarantee. MS' games are going to have to run on an Xbox One for the first one or two years, they've already made that clear. Then you have the Lockhart factor. 12TF is a very nice number but when you have to design your games around significantly weaker hardware, it's not going to have that much of an impact. A PS5 at 9TF with exclusives built around those 9TF are going to look better and do things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, full stop.
Graphics are very scalable though. Drop the resolution and reduce some effects and you're sorted.

The potential issue with having games run on the OG Xbox One is the HDD and CPU bottlenecks.

The graphics of XGS exclusives aren't going to be limited by having to run on the Xbox One.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree.

Series X could be the same as the Xbox One X for MS. More native 4K titles and a few fps here and there (but that is going to be rather rare this time thanks to the new beefy CPU in both consoles).

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am starting to come around to the conclusion that lockhart will not limit the "graphical" quality of games on the Xbox Series hardware, especially as our tests have shown witha theroetical 4TF GPU. If you can just scale resolution, then it is the exact same thing you have on PC where an RTX 2080Ti can run games at 4K while a 1660/RTX 2060 or so does it at 1080p. Same graphical effects and everything. It only makes sense.

I see no reason why an exclusive XSX + Lockhart game would look worse than one designed around 9.2 TF GPU elsewhere. It should look better, and then just have lockhart be quarter res or a bit more depending upon what is the greatest limiting factor on the GPU.

Xbox One though? Yeah that can definitely limit game ambitions unless we are looking at games that look or run dramatically differently. Kind of like Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, or Crysis 3 last gen.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am starting to come around to the conclusion that lockhart will not limit the "graphical" quality of games on the Xbox Series hardware, especially as our tests have shown witha theroetical 4TF GPU. If you can just scale resolution, then it is the exact same thing you have on PC where an RTX 2080Ti can run games at 4K while a 1660/RTX 2060 or so does it at 1080p. Same graphical effects and everything. It only makes sense.
This.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

How many of Sonys 1p studios are going to have a game ready to go within that time frame? I would expect only Horizon to come within that time frame and maybe Spiderman. Another thing that some may forget is that MS has a much better track record of targeting higher frame rates which impacts graphical fidelity.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

14 tflops might be improbable, but its the only explanation. both sony and ms went wide and slow, sony then got some fancy cooling solution and were able to clock a bit higher than MS. 13-14 tflops.

if anything, this proves that MS has a lot of headroom to increase clocks. they dont have to settle for 12 tflops. they should be around 13 tflops by the time the consoles launch.

Team 14 will prevail!

Seriously, I have kept believing and I do hope both consoles hit as high as possible!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
In this scenario, I'd get the XSX at launch and wait until the PS5 sees a price cut in 1-2 years. If the PS5 is indeed that much weaker.

If it's ~11 I'll probably just get the PS5 alone.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I asked this a while back.

Apparently it's because you have to turn them off in chunks for some reason.

Stupid chunks! :lol

Yeah, I guess it's paired or something in those veins. But as a person not this technical, it's just weird that you can't find something in between to at least have a few more of them.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Well, now I am of the opinion that we are at Oberon C0 and not E0. So maybe RGT has a good source.

Komachi lists CPU ID
[Family, Model, Stepping Identifiers]

ARL A0: 00840F00 (actual 0x840f00 - 10000100 0000 1111 0000 0000)
ARL E0: 00840F40 (actual 0x840f40 - 10000100 0000 1111 0100 0000)

The last two digits represent the revision (stepping + base model). We are at base model 4 (n+1) makes revision 5 hence E0.
We know that Ariel went through A0, B0, and also saw record of Oberon A0, B0.

However, the CPU iD does not explicitly give a name for an iGPU, but Ariel and Oberon do appear to share the same base family and extended family.

So when Komachi is listing the GPU name alongside the CPU-ID , he is simply guessing or going off known associations.

10000100 0000 1111 0100 0000
Stepping = Bits 3-0 = 0000 = 0
BaseModel = Bits 7-4 = 0100 = 4
BaseFamily = Bits 11-8 = 1111 = 15
Reserved = Bits 18-12 = 0000 = 0
ExtModel = Bits 19-16 = 0100 = 4
ExtFamily = Bits 27-20 = 1000100 = 4096/512 (reset 08h) = 8

Family = ExtFamily + BaseFamily = 15 + 8 = 23 = 0x17
Model = Concat BaseModel & ExtModel = 0x44
Revision = Convert BaseModel to letter (0=A) = E + Stepping (0) = E0

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

Deleted member 64241

Mar 2, 2020
Earth

I see no reason why an exclusive XSX + Lockhart game would look worse than one designed around 9.2 TF GPU elsewhere. It should look better, and then just have lockhart be quarter res or a bit more depending upon what is the greatest limiting factor on the GPU.

Xbox One though? Yeah that can definitely limit game ambitions unless we are looking at games that look or run dramatically differently. Kind of like Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, or Crysis 3 last gen.
Well said.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
They just revealed their Smart Delivery feature. I really hope they aren't stupid enough to drag the old Xbox One hardware for long just because they promised that you can play their games on any Xbox.

To be fair, smart delivery will be used for Lockhart vs XSX assets as well, but I agree with the hope that they drop XOS/X sooner rather than later.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

The way that i see it, there are 2 major ways lockhart can hold back this gen:
1) less memory and bandwidth, games need to be made for hardware with 12 GB GDDR6 rather than 16GB and the memory is also slower.
2) Lockhart effectively forces developers to stick to very high resolutions on the high end console, which inherently limits the graphical complexity of the game, because i dont think developers will let the game drop below 1080p on lockhart, so lockhart will determine our graphical complexity baseline. If we look at it the other way around, then i dont think we will see many games at all targeting below 1800p on the series X. Some would be happy with such a high resolution, but i favor pushing for new technological heights over a simple dry upgrade

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That only works as long no Sony dev simply starts lowering their internal resolution to boost the graphics. Sure the lockhart could possibly do the same @1080p as the Series X in native 4k but what if you design a game in 1080P and use the whole TFs to up the graphics up to 11?

Series X could do the same but Lockhart couldn't. I don't think ms would want to see sub 720p on their new shiny console just to compete with sony.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
If they have the more powerful one, it doesn't matter when they decide to announce it. Microsoft isn't going to force their hand.

If you have the weaker machine, it's usually safer to go first.

and got destroyed by the media later on and PR talks as well...

no it's not sater at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.