• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
A year ago, I was expecting something like 8TF from Sony because being more conservative and having a more mass market price seemed more important than specs. Some of the best looking games of the current gen, including the PC, were exclusive to a 1.8TF machine that had a Jaguar CPU. I was never going to be disappointing if Sony didn't chase top end as long as they maintain and cultivate their stable of talented developers. From a business perspective, if people really do care about getting a 12TF+ machine, Sony will probably have that for them in another 2-3 years like they did with the Pro. They make more on the double dip anyway.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Same. The only thing I don't want is a jet engine like my pro.
The same architecture for both CPU and GPU will be soooo good for multiplatform and every middleware engine game.
A good day for MS and Sony, for devs and for us, the players.
If people still wants to fight over GitHub, go on, but I think you should look elsewhere for a bit.
100% agreed on the sound issue. Really messed that up.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So I am on mobile and doesn't know how to the math.
What does a 2Gz with 3 SE active (my theory), so 54 CU, means in term of TF?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Oberon is Navi 10, it doesn't have RT or VRS.
Ariel was Navi 10. A name change implies a big shift. IMO Ariel was Navi 10, Oberon was the shift to RDNA 2. Stepping A0 through E0 are just like any other steppings: bug fixes, clocks improvement, power consumption improvement, testability improvement, etc.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Now, I don't speak fanboy, so please indulge me... Why would they be referring to a console that isn't even officially confirmed to exist?

My God, some of the people in here! I should really stay away.

See, what had happened was.....
Breh - you won't find a single Playstation fan upset with a 12 TF or even 11 TF PS5.

Precisely. Hell, 10 would be nice to me.
How can we still be talking about that Github leak?
Imagine if PS5 is only revealed in like...June. And we need to be around the Github data until then. Yikes.

I don't know. After recent info drops I'm like Doctor Avatar. The more info comes out the more doubt I have in the github results....being confirmation of anything....

Confirmation of BC testing? Yes. Of final cu amounts for PS5? Nope.

9.2tf is the friend we made along the way.

Last edited:

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm just popping in here once again to say I don't expect a major concrete announcement/reveal event to happen until at least August. Sony has tons of big PS4 titles coming out a couple times a month through to July now. Why compete with themselves right ? Once Ghosts of Tsushima is out , then I'd wager we will actually have something more concrete than a handful of wired articles and a logo. Because of COVID19 , I don't expect they'll rent out a theater to show it all off either. Just a big long video. I'd love to be wrong though.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
kOsvwaM.png

Consoles? So the series x and lockhart?

/takesoffrunning

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
How do we know the CU count since PS5 is not Navi 10?
We don't, I've quoted myself saying that the files had 36 CU active but maybe Oberon has more. 36 CUs are called "native" and "full chip" in the Github leak but the files are messy enough to seed some doubt regarding the CU count. From our knowledge of RDNA 1 and Sony's BC we assume Oberon is 2 SE with 36 CUs or 3 SE with 54 active CUs. At 2Ghz my money is on 36, but who knows, maybe Sony has some insane cooling.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight, we got info that both consoles are using RDNA2 and this thread went into console war mode over good news? Amazing

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I believe the PS5 will've RDNA2, and between 8-10TF.
Likewise, and I firmly believe they'll be much more successful with a system in the 8-10, at a pricepoint between Series X and Lockhart (e.g. $399 vs $499 & $299; or $449 vs $549 & $349), than a 12-14TF juggernaut that's priced comparably with SX. Though for us enthusiasts, more power is generally preferred I spose.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Well folks, we got truthers, we got deniers, we've got RDNA2! But you know what's missing?

anigif_sub-buzz-17563-1529811391-1.gif

No no no..... AVATARS! Let's do this! PJV3, PrimeRib, ppn7, JosephMichael, PunishedPrince, supkid. C'mon over. C'mon over babayyyyyy. For the crime of guessing the wrong PS5 reveal date, I hereby sentence you to the following:

PJV3, you can cuddle up with this monstrosity at night to keep the good dreams away

KjqntgM.png

PrimeRib, even this horrible Luke action figure doesn't know what the hell is going on in here.

P77eNYn.png

ppn7, may the terrified look on this kid's face comfort you as you play your Tiger Electronic handheld!

hVdrqLT.png

JosephMichael, everybody loves Kenny G!

o9eoHP0.png

PunishedPrince, the Dilly Dog is a Texas treasure (might require a Costco membership now, I dunno)

PBuXx72.png

supkid, those weeds are mean

lEZZ3xL.png

Alright folks, that's it! Come back tomorrow for a new round of fun!

tumblr_m5691vJi4L1qcmptjo1_500.gif

I know, right?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Ariel was Navi 10. A name change implies a big shift. IMO Ariel was Navi 10, Oberon was the shift to RDNA 2. Stepping A0 through E0 are just like any other steppings: bug fixes, clocks improvement, power consumption improvement, testability improvement, etc.
Oberon was also listed as Navi 10.

Oct 25, 2017
Still not sure how the PS5 could be aiming for $399.99, (this is an assumption I'm making partly based on the bloomberg article) and have similar GPU specs to the XsX. I'm assuming they gave a bit somewhere, which is why the 9.2 vs.12 tf for a $100 savings makes quite a bit of sense to me. I think this would still line up with insiders saying they are pretty close and that there's more to it than just a straight Tf comparison.

I say this as someone who is probably going to get a PS5 regardless and not a Xbox mainly because I can only afford one.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
they're both semi-custom soc's, neither is "rdna 2" the same way a pc card will be. They'll have rdna2 features as they are based on the same architecture but they'll have very different implementations of it both from each other and from full fat PC GPU's and we know no more today than we did yesterday. The only difference is anything that isn't plain rdna is now just rdna2 for the next few years.

Last edited:

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
One person (from AMD) says both systems use hardware ray tracing. He also says AMD's hardware implementation of Ray Tracing is through RDNA 2. So from that people assume PS5 is RDNA 2; even though there are more people that said it was RDNA 1.0, including SONY. I just want to make sure I have the story right.

Jan 20, 2019
One person (from AMD) says both systems use hardware ray tracing. He also says AMD's hardware implementation of Ray Tracing is through RDNA 2. So from that people assume PS5 is RDNA 2; even though there are more people that said it was RDNA 1.0, including SONY. I just want to make sure I have the story right.

"We have developed all-new hardware-accelerated ray tracing as part of RDNA 2. It is a common architecture used in next-generation game consoles. With that, you will greatly simplify the content development that developers can develop for one platform and easily port it to the other.

"This will definitely help speed up the adoption.

"We also provide lower-level API support that gives more control to the developers so that they can extract more performance from the underlying hardware platform. This will help mitigate the performance concerns of ray tracing."

--David Wang, AMD

UENy5Fh.jpg

This is what peopel are quoting.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Oberon was also listed as Navi 10.
Well, if Oberon was listed at both Navi 10 (I don't recall that) and Navi 2X, it could be both. Just because I know what stepping is and how Oberon was still being worked on during 2019, I'm 90% sure it's the PS5's iGPU. I mean, unless there is a secrete APU that we never heard of.

What happens if the PS5 is revealed next week? Does it mean you have to find like 100 avatars in one day? This is becoming your day job.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It was also directly said during the stream today that both consoles use the latest technology.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i told you all. i fucking called it. basing your predictions on the 5700xt tdp was a colossal fucking mistake. it was as presumptuous as looking at the vega 7 tdp and saying 8 gcn tflops is the best you can do in a 7nm console.

Team thermals and team realistic just never bothered to take this stuff into account. absolutely baffling imo. but im not complaining. my 14 tflops future is looking pretty fucking bright right about now.

lets pull up the simulating gonzalo chart and apply the 50% perf/watt increase to these numbers to get an idea of what it takes to get 12 and 14 tflops.

resultsshjg4.png

so now all of a sudden, that 2.0 ghz that was taking 161w should now take only 106w. zen 2 should only be 20w. maybe even less. gddr6 and the rest should be 30-50w and you can have a nice 170w console.

if MS is at 56 cu at 1.7 ghz, they are only around 97w for 12 tflops.

now the question is why would sony go with an 106w 9 tflops gpu when they can go with a 12 tflops 97w gpu. is 15% more die space really that expensive?

56 cu at 2.0 tflops should be around 148w. thats a 200-220w console. i really dont see why they cant do this.

edit: this also proves you wouldnt need a super expensive fancy cooling solution to cool that gpu. unless its really 56 cus running at 2.0 ghz.
edit 2: my math was off. fixed it.

P.S DF with their 350w console predictions. sigh. just a big fat sigh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.