• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Even Warren had previously reported Lockhart was dead, Matt was caught off guard as well. With Don't cancelling events because of coronavirus, we wouldn't know for sure if Feb reveal was initially planned. The statement on their website about "not quite ready to unveil" is perhaps a hint.
Yeah, I know. Check my post-history. I've been using these arguments since what feels like forever.

We are so close to laying all the fanboy shit to bed... I just want it to end. Sony better announce the PS5 soon!

We are closing in on a year since the first Wired article (April 16th).

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Real talk Colbert.

Why did Sony develop a RNDA1 based chip line (ariel/gonzalo/flute)?

Why do you think Oberon is not simply part of this chip line and what leads you to believe it is RDNA2?

If it is the RNDA2 final design why is it so advanced when the Xbox RDNA2 design was in its infancy at the same time?

Any time I ask the GitHub believers to explain these inconsistencies they ignore or dance around them.

We KNOW Sony have developed a 36/40CU RDNA1 line of chips in Ariel/Gonzalo/Flute. The timing of Oberon, the purpose of the testing (BC testing) and the relative infancy of the XSX RDNA2 chip all strongly, STRONGLY suggests that Oberon is simply an evolution of that RDNA1 platform rather than an RDNA2 design.

If PS5 is RDNA2 then Oberon isn't it, I'm telling you that right now.
What inconsistencies?

The Github leak had data about BC testing (PS5). Stating a full count of CUs. A 2000 Mhz mode is documented in there as well which would make more sense for a smaller chip.

There was no info about an architecture. The architecture is a missing information and I actually don't think it would have any relevance to be in there, just like the info about RT and VRS because BC was tested and not something else.

That chip being RDNA 2 makes actually more sense as those 2000 Mhz are easier to achieve by it.

Edit:
That silicon is semi custom anyway, so it is actually something different than pure RDNA 2 would be.

Jan 2, 2018
I mean,seriously,is 9.2TF RDNA2 GPU for PS5 is that bad? it will probably be more powerful than RX5700XT which is a pretty powerful I would say and a year ago we wouldn't even consider this level of performance for a console.

Oct 27, 2017
They most likely did it for BC/to get a devkit early. I don't know why they went through numerous revisions, but this is most likely the answer.
I originally said that this was most likely the case as well. This really isn't that surprising to be honest.

We should probably be viewing it through the lens of Sony investing in their hardware-based bc solution going forward.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Everyone in this thread was talking about next gen beeing 8 tflops of GCN and tgey won't use SSDs, because that would be to expansive. And they are doing tests with a 5700, because that is the bst thing there is right now.
Not everyone...

Next-gen would be between 10-12TF.
Will be 200W+ consoles.
Will use SSDs that are probably embedded on their MBs.
Wil have 16-20GB of RAM.

Those were all my predictions for next-gen before we got any snippet of official info.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Yeah, I know. Check my post-history. I've been using these arguments since what feels like forever.

We are so close to laying all the fanboy shit to bed... I just want it to end. Sony better announce the PS5 soon!

We are closing in on a year since the first Wired article (April 16th).
Get hyped for 12-14TF.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Not enough!

L7jijMy.gif
Well, Klee also said slightly higher than 12 tflops for SX. So you might get another 0.1 at most... But not much else, Betty! 😈

Oct 25, 2017
I mean,seriously,is 9.2TF RDNA2 GPU for PS5 is that bad? it will probably be more powerful than RX5700XT which is a pretty powerful I would say and a year ago we wouldn't even consider this level of performance for a console.

Would be it so bad if it was much higher than that? For some people answer is a resounding yes.

Yeah, it's bad to a lot of people. They can't justify their ps5 purchase if it's under an xbox power level.

And some people can't be happy if they are on par. I see more of that that anything. They will be on par though and this thread will be hilarious when it happens. I'm dipping out of this shit show again until the next major info drop though.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I have been in this thread for over 2 plus years and can tell you that did not matter when people were guess specs 2 years ago .
We in here have no idea how things are with these consoles just not enough data .
One big eg of this is people thinking the consoles would not be RDNA 2.
It's confirmation bias.

Because it's more than those that were named that really seem to know alot about this stuff.

So many I would like to thank, including those 2. But I don't wanna leave anyone out.

For bringing a wealth of knowledge to these OT. I have and am still learning alot. And so much I don't know.

And when Locuza post I just throw my hands up and put my phone down.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone...

Next-gen would be between 10-12TF.
Will be 200W+ consoles.
Will use SSDs that are probably embedded on their MBs.
Wil have 16-20GB of RAM.

Those were all my predictions for next-gen before we got any snippet of official info.

Of course everything there was call crazy, stupid etc etc by people who though they knew better .
Man the last 2 years have been very funny in retrospect if you look at what certain people were saying .

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Github had no info about the used architecture as far I am aware.

For example to think because it is RDNA 2 (which I actually stated PS5 is before the AMD event) it must be more CUs. That is not the case, still a maybe, and I am still not convinced about a 3 SE GPU.

But more important. With the again 50% gain in power efficiency over RDNA1 a 2 Ghz clock seems to be more achievable with 36 CUs than ever, Don't you think?
But again, my question is, when or if did Oberon have RDNA2 technology? I don't think anyone can answer that, although assuming the process to design that chip started in mid 2018, I'd say its unlikely it had it at that time.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I know I was one that asked what could it mean wrt github data. So thanks for the explanation.

Right now, I got this new info and the recent AdoredTV clip in my head right now. Throwing out questions.

Exactly, lol. If it was for BC testing only....I don't think Sony would feel like it was wasted. It would have helped them accomplish their goals.

Now....if they decide to scrap BC...then I could see it as wasted.

Whole reality is crumbling for some people and we're first row spectators lol

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
But again, my question is when or if Oberon had RDNA2 technology. I don't think anyone could answer that, although assuming the process to design that chip started in mid 2018, I'd say its unlikely it had it at inception.
I cannot answer that too because the info is not part of github and honestly wouldn't have any relevance for the tested chip as it is custom anyway especially with the modifications for PS4 BC.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
lol here comes the revisionist history.
More like actual story:

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

How much of Nvidia raytracing is handled by the GPU vs. CPU. Does the CPU do a lot of denoising. How does the denoising work? All on the RT core of the GPU I think.

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

How much of Nvidia raytracing is handled by the GPU vs. CPU. Does the CPU do a lot of denoising. How does the denoising work? All on the RT core of the GPU I think.

Not a week ago there was evidence that Ps5 was RDNA2, and it was discussed on the next gen thread.

Like I said, of course people are going to say all the things even when it has been pointed out, some might have missed it, but this happened before today

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
www.resetera.com

PS5 Speculation |OT12| - Aw hell, Transistor's running this again?

Literal quote from AMD guy: "We're on the cusp of the next generation. So the next generation consoles will use our latest Zen technology, use our latest RDNA technology aswell. Really creating this really immersive experience with ray-tracing, 3d audio and fast load times to really excite a new...

A literal quote from the AMD guy. It can in no way be interpreted in a way that he's only talking about Xbox.

Okay, that wasn't in the slides. Is the quote transcribed somewhere? I want to read it verbatim.

I knew that Sony was using AMD's raytracing but I didn't think they would be using RDNA2.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I cannot answer that too because the info is not part of github and honestly wouldn't have any relevance for the tested chip as it is custom anyway especially with the modifications for PS4 BC.
But the final PS5 chip has AMD's RDNA2 technology, based on what we heard today. I don't understand how the chip being customized makes today's news irrelevant to Github, if you believe Oberon is indeed the final chip.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So AMD said today that they co-architected the DirectX Ray Tracing API with Microsoft to take full advantage of their RDNA2 ray tracing solution. Does this mean that Sony will be rolling their own API to leverage the RDNA2 architecture for ray tracing since I don't think that they will be using DXR?

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
User banned (1 week): Trolling over multiple posts. History of similar behavior.
Pretty sure that is a parody account

No, it's called "FACTS" and "Evidence", that's how things should work. If you can show me FACTS and Evidence of it being RDNA2 and not some silly slide with DXR 1.1 (which Sony doesn't use), then fine.

See how easy that was? Amazing!

Deleted member 64241

Mar 2, 2020
Earth
So AMD said today that they co-architected the DirectX Ray Tracing API with Microsoft to take full advantage of their RDNA2 ray tracing solution. Does this mean that Sony will be rolling their own API to leverage the RDNA2 architecture for ray tracing since I don't think that they will be using DXR?
Sony will be using its own API most likely. It's a given.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
But again, my question is, when or if did Oberon have RDNA2 technology? I don't think anyone can answer that, although assuming the process to design that chip started in mid 2018, I'd say its unlikely it had it at that time.

Doesn't Klee's game info strongly suggest the PS5 V dev kit has some form of RDNA 2 as the game had very impressive RT in June last year?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
More like actual story:

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

Not a week ago there was evidence that Ps5 was RDNA2, and it was discussed on the next gen thread.

Like I said, of course people are going to say all the things even when it has been pointed out, some might have missed it, but this happened before today
Yes but hasn't Oberon been listed as Navi10 on all the leaks? If so we already know it's massively changed since Navi10 only uses RDNA1. So everyone claiming it was too late for an architectural change is clearly wrong. No one knows how much has changed at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
You can check my post history I've been team the ps5 is better than 9.2 but I fail to understand why rnda2 invalidates anything.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

That's what it sounds like.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Oberon A0 is called Navi10 Lite. Lite just means APU. So Oberon is Navi10 which is contradiction with RDNA2.

I think it's fairly obvious to everyone now that Oberon is part of the RDNA ariel/gonzalo/flute line.

The only hope for team GitHub was that PS5 was RDNA1 based.

It isn't. So pack it up folks, Github is dead. Long live GitHub.

What inconsistencies?

The Github leak had data about BC testing (PS5). Stating a full count of CUs. A 2000 Mhz mode is documented in there as well which would make more sense for a smaller chip.

There was no info about an architecture. The architecture is a missing information and I actually don't think it would have any relevance to be in there, just like the info about RT and VRS because BC was tested and not something else.

That chip being RDNA 2 makes actually more sense as those 2000 Mhz are easier to achieve by it.

Edit:
That silicon is semi custom anyway, so it is actually something different than pure RDNA 2 would be.

Cling to your GitHub all you want, you still haven't answered my questions. So I'll ask them again.

Why did Sony develop a RDNA1 line of chips in gonzalo/flute/ariel if PS5 is RDNA2 based?

Why do you assume Oberon is not part of this RDNA1 line, despite so many similarities and literally no confirmation of a single RDNA2 feature?

Why is Sony's RDNA2 development so far ahead of MS's since Oberon was far and away more developed than Arden at the same point in time when they're using the same tech from the same company? Logically if they were both using RDNA2 and releasing at the same time they would be in very similar states of development. They weren't. Almost as if Oberon was a RDNA1 based evolution of ariel/flute/gonzalo...

Data is useful Colbert, but you also have to interpret it properly and look at it critically. GitHub's Oberon as final PS5 silicon hasn't made sense for a variety of reasons for some time. As time goes on it makes less and less sense. In fact the truth is that anyone claiming it is either RDNA2 or final PS5 silicon are basing those claims on precisely nothing. So if you're as data driven as you claim you should be very open to the likelihood that Oberon isn't RDNA 2, which all evidence points to, which means it isn't PS5's final APU.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yes but hasn't Oberon been listed as Navi10 on all the leaks? If so we already know it's massively changed since Navi10 only uses RDNA1. So everyone claiming it was too late for an architectural change is clearly wrong. No one knows how much has changed at this point.
Yeah, as far as I know Oberon has always been listed as Navi10, which if accurate would preclude it from being RDNA2, which would then preclude it from being the final PS5 chip.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Of course. They've always done their own API.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
But the final PS5 chip has AMD's RDNA2 technology, based on what we heard today. I don't understand how the chip being customized makes today's news irrelevant to Github, if you believe Oberon is indeed the final chip.
What does the news change on the data in Github?

You could easily assume Oberon was already RDNA2 at the testing (just like Arden already was). You could also assume Ariel was actually a RDNA1 part which would make a lot of sense that we had Ariel data in there too for comparison. The data doesn't give us the answer and the news of today doesn't change anything for me. It still stated 36 CUs full count which is independent from architecture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.