• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Not able to watch this live--did they explicitly say PS5 is RDNA2?
Genuinely asking, sorry if I sound like I'm doubting.

Having throughout the previous presentations talked about next-gen consoles in terms of PS5 and Xbox Series X, David Wang then talked about RDNA2 as the common architecture of the next-gen consoles to enable easy portability of RT techniques between PC and consoles. He didn't specifically name-check any console in that part of the talk, but with all else we know about PS5's feature set, it's as close as confirmation as he could probably offer without Sony saying something themselves.

So, I wouldn't say explicit confirmation - but it tip-toed right up to that line, I think.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I swore in that AdoredTV clip you posted recently he mentioned this?

Not for the github debates, but just in general. I asked about this too after looking at the clip.

For github debates....lol.
So now 2Ghz suddenly "makes sense" everyone? :)

This is a very pleasant surprise!

Frankly, i didn't expect AMD would be able to make these gains with RDNA2 on the same (improved?) node...really impressive!

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calling mark a liar aint no thang round here baby
This thread in January pretty much did.
Some said he isn't... a "genius" because he didn't "invent" X86. He basically did what anybody would do when building the PS4.
Then many users cast doubt on ps5 having HW RT even after it was confirmed twice by him.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I may have missed it, but I didn't hear any exact numbers. The first slide here they talked about ipc gains, but no specifics yet:

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
see if PS5 is RDNA 2, then the Gonzalo firestrike score don't add up. More reasons to be skeptical of the 36cu leaks.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Which tests of XsX would have required those RT blocks present?

If you are saying that github lacks context then yes that's what I have been saying for a long time.
XSX wasn't tested at all AFAIK. It's all just theoretical data in there. Arden and oberon had different data pulled.

And yes, that's what everyone here has been saying for months. Github is legit, but incomplete.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
So maybe PS5 is 9,2 TF of RDNA2, which is in fact still better than 9,2TF of RDNA1...

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I see that Tom Warren keeps being brought up.
Isn't he the dude that said some bullshit like Microsoft wants to catch Sony off guard, that's why a lot of devs still didn't have the Scarlett kit? lol

xem

Oct 31, 2017
wow so new amd cards not till end of year. so consoles will truly be cutting edge. interesting

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
"We have developed all-new hardware-accelerated ray tracing as part of RDNA 2. It is a common architecture used in next-generation game consoles. With that, you will greatly simplify the content development that developers can develop for one platform and easily port it to the other.

"This will definitely help speed up the adoption.

"We also provide lower-level API support that gives more control to the developers so that they can extract more performance from the underlying hardware platform. This will help mitigate the performance concerns of ray tracing."

--David Wang, AMD

UENy5Fh.jpg
Wonderful post!

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Having throughout the previous presentations talked about next-gen consoles in terms of PS5 and Xbox Series X, David Wang then talked about RDNA2 as the common architecture of the next-gen consoles to enable easy portability of RT techniques between PC and consoles. He didn't specifically name-check any console in that part of the talk, but with all else we know about PS5's feature set, it's as close as confirmation as he could probably offer without Sony saying something themselves.

So, I wouldn't say explicit confirmation - but it tip-toed right up to that line, I think.

Thanks! Yes, I agree--not explicit but the writing is clearly on the wall there.

Thanks again.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That segment was hard going

50% performance improvement per watt for RDNA2 over RDNA1 is impressive and useful info if one or both consoles utilises RDNA2 fully

Status
Not open for further replies.