• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get where this RDNA 2.0 is 25% over 1.0 comes from, even new architecture with node shrinks don't get those gains sometimes.
well the node shrink alone will get them 20% more die space and 10% more in power savings.

But I am working under the assumption that the 4 tflops Lockhart would replace the x1x.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
It will run extras, which is almost guaranteed, but I am saying I don't know if it will run Xbox One X versions of the games where you get 4k. I would bet new games or games that are patched will run higher than 1080p but for back compat games I don't know if that will be the case.

Fair enough. As I said in my other comment, I don't believe it will run anything in 4K, and, IMO, it shouldn't. If it's a 1080p/1440 box, make it a 1080p/1440 box, don't confuse the message with some titles in 4K.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
i think lockhart has the (obvious) potential to reach a bigger, mass market on day 1, but ALSO to be an attractive 2nd device for the hardcore. IF it works as *advertised, its a great plan

this is key for me, I'm impressed by XSX but not interested in leaving the PS ecosystem that I've build up over the last decade+.Depending on where PS5 comes in at and what the power is could determine which next gen console I get first. GamePass also will give me a instant library in the cheap.

If it's like this:
$600 XSX -12Tflops
$500 PS5 - 9Tflops
$300 XSS -4 Tflops

I'd just get the XSS to start the generation along with GamePass

consequentially if any of those factors were different price or performance wise I would get a PS5 instead.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
What you are claiming is unfair to Turing is actually not true, the card was designed for 1410MHz anything over that is Overclock not underclock.
Nope, what you are saying is blatantly wrong, NVIDIA uses boost clocks since ages ago, boost clocks is the rated operating speed of the card.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I hate the idea of Lockhart...that said as a 'secondary' console for like the kids room or just a spot with small tv I actually kind of get it.

Crazy thought, what if MS has some kind of 'bundle' incentive..like Lockhart is normally $299 but if you purchase it along with your Series X you get it for $199? That sure would move some units fast.
My guess is that they will offer some sort of plan, let's say XSS and three Years of Gamepass for 25$ a month for three years.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I am expecting delays with all that is happening. That or they will only be able to meet a very limited number of the demand.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Klobrille dropping hints in the XGS thread. Sounds like we might not be hearing more until next week.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I am expecting delays with all that is happening. That or they will only be able to meet a very limited number of the demand.
Only 100 people get to have the new consoles in each launch country. In order to get one you must come to the respective HQ and fight the CEO in hand to hand combat. The winners will receive a console.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Do you think Sony will take the opportunity of a new gen to improve their ecosystem?
The fact they multiple accounts are needed on PlayStation to buy games from different regions is bad.
You end up like I did with 5 different accounts and with games scattered between them.
Then they have the whole CUSA versions thing when the save game data only works on a specific CUSA. So if I get a physical game, play it and then sell it and get a digital version, it has to be from the same region or the save won't work.
That and also the DLC has to be bought on the same region as the base game.
And if I have a secondary account just to buy games and play them on my main account, digital extras are not shared, so if I buy a deluxe or ultimate edition of the game, some of the extras are not usable on the main account.

nothing of this happens on the Xbox ecosystem where I have just one account and my account can have different digital wallets with different currencies and I can use one account to keep all my games and dlc regardless of the region they are bought from.

I really wish Sony could improve their ecosystem. But at the same time, I fear they are in too deep on their system to be able to change it, which is a shame.

what do you think? Can it be done? Or a re we stuck with these multiple accounts until PS10 and more?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
That's a hell of a tricky thing to fix without wiping everything and starting all over again. Which isn't to say it's impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why I need multiple accounts? Are there many titles you cannot buy in US/Europe/JP that exists in the different regions?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is because of different prices. On my Xbox I have multiple adresses saved so I can switch region and buy from there for less.

Yeah, that's true. Trying to dodge pricing in one owns country is something I've seen people doing. Buying from Russia and such.

I don't buy digital so that's the reason for the question. But I thought most titles would be available everywhere these days.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I think MS is waiting for RDNA 2.0 to be fully unveiled before announcing lockhart. More so if there is any confusion about numbers, they can be more detailed due to the RDNA 2.0 features finally being public. (im probably wrong though)

Also, they probably want to control what they talk about with lockhart and not have a narrative about a "lower" number to anyone trying to compare that to something of similar price. (cough one x cough)

i also could guess that the messaging would be similar to how they market different Versions of Phones and Vehicles.

Example :Series X is the fully loaded version while the Series S will be the base version. Both providing very similar upgrades/enhancements for next-gen, but also providing options a customer has. Difference will be form factor, price and GPU TF number. There are now plenty of different demographics to buy launch consoles than previous generations. So my previous thought process on just hardcore/enthusiasts vs casual is in the gutter now. there are multiple groups of people with similar buying habits that need to be accounted for and this method is what i usually see for a lot of products out there, not including the examples above.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
My guess is that they will offer some sort of plan, let's say XSS and three Years of Gamepass for 25$ a month for three years.

That's $900 over 3 years... maybe if it was $20 then I would bite. Honestly might still even bite for the first 6 months at $25 and then just pay the full console off outright.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
This is true, it's the mandate that will matter.
Yeah I feel like this is a massive point that isn't being talked about nearly enough.

If the mandate from MS says all games must be built for Series X and then ported down to Lockhart (and sort of let the chips fall where they may), doesn't that kind of instantly wipe out any fears of games being held back?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mistake then. But scarcity driving up component cost is a supply/demand dynamic, which is important to differentiate from a supply chain issue.

Reports last year predicted component prices would rise this year, so there's no real surprise here, outside of the virus concerns. I.e. Sony could have anticipated this.

Yeah, but you couple the high price due to scarcity on top of the reduced factory output in China and it's a rough time to be planning a new console launch.

If the virus is still going strong at the height of summer then it's definitely going to hamper the release of PS5 and XSX.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
All so you can flip it on eBay for twice the price.
Anyone caught flipping it will receive one of these:

tenor.gif

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Yeah I feel like this is a massive point that isn't being talked about nearly enough.

If the mandate from MS says all games must be built for Series X and then ported down to Lockhart (and sort of let the chips fall where they may), doesn't that kind of instantly wipe out any fears of games being held back?

that's just not how games get designed and would put a huge burden on developers

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
If the virus is still going strong at the height of summer then it's definitely going to hamper the release of PS5 and XSX.

Honestly, is the virus is still going strong at the height of summer, then I can see next gen dropping a few hundreds positions in the list of our priorities :)

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think they won't announce PS5 event until they know for sure if they're gonna be releasing PS5 this holiday or delayed to next year due to coronavirus. So very possibly nothing till mid april/may

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

There'll be no such mandate. It would constrain developer options for dealing with the landscape, and it would be effectively unenforceable anyway. Who's to tell a developer they didn't 'start with Series X and downport', if they actually did the opposite for budget/time/development constraints? MS can't police development practice like that, they have to leave it to devs to decide what is best for their game and their development context.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
I think they won't announce PS5 event until they know for sure if they're gonna be releasing PS5 this holiday or delayed to next year due to coronavirus. So very possibly nothing till mid april/may

Same. It's much more likely Sony is withholding information based on multiple factors, one of them mainly being this coronavirus and how it will be impacting the manufacturing and logistics in the months leading up to a new console release.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
User Warned: Platform Warring
There's so many great ps4 exclusives out this year that i would prefer the ps5 to be delayed until autumn 2021 and this will give me a chance to play the new and old games i still have to play.

Series X will also suffer poor sales with everyone waiting for the ps5, which will be 14tf+ at launch.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yeah, but you couple the high price due to scarcity on top of the reduced factory output in China and it's a rough time to be planning a new console launch.

That assumes China is in the critical path for components. SoCs, memory and flash are all made primarily outside of China. China would mainly be in the final assembly supply chain, which is months away.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
There'll be no such mandate. It would constrain developer options for dealing with the landscape, and it would be effectively unenforceable anyway. Who's to tell a developer they didn't 'start with Series X and downport', if they actually did the opposite for budget/time/development constraints? MS can't police development practice like that, they have to leave it to devs to decide what is best for their game and their development context.
Yeah I see your point.

Before reading that post I was thinking of it as more of a suggestion from MS. Like theyre designating XSX as the 'lead' platform and telling devs to build games for that system and then scale back resolution/framerate as needed for Lockhart. But maybe that's much easier said then done even with the similar architect.

Status
Not open for further replies.