• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Lockhart reveal soon is interesting. The one thing about it that is disappointing is that it will likely play the Xbox One S version of games rather than the X. Maybe they just will stop production of the Xbox one consoles and get rid of stocks completely like what they did with the VCR Xbox One to the One S. I do get why it exists and am predicting that these are going into the server racks for xcloud.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Without the price, I don't know why they would announce it at this time.

"The same as Xbox Series X, but weaker (and possibly no disk drive)" ?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
As an Xbox guy I didn't even think about it as a potential second device for the hardcore but this makes sense. My brother is a huge playstation guy who always say that he would love to play some of Xbox's exclusives but doesn't want to fork over the money for a gaming PC. This could be the perfect middle ground to enter the xbox ecosystem next gen.

ive seen a lot of sony posters here saying just that.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Lockhart reveal soon is interesting. The one thing about it that is disappointing is that it will likely play the Xbox One S version of games rather than the X. Maybe they just will stop production of the Xbox one consoles and get rid of stocks completely like what they did with the VCR Xbox One to the One S. I do get why it exists and am predicting that these are going into the server racks for xcloud.

If thats the case I actually just don't see a reason why I'd want this instead of an Xbox One X considering they're the same price (presumambly the XBX is just going to be $299 till the end of the year at this rate). Like Lockheart seems like a compromised device then.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Without the price, I don't know why they would announce it at this time.

"The same as Xbox Series X, but weaker (and possibly no disk drive)" ?

My guess: it'd be done now to try to get ahead of the narrative that it's a bad idea, and so will be attended by a smattering of friendly dev commentary about why it's not a problem at all etc. etc.

Announcing it at the eleventh hour with pricing might leave too little time before launch to try to 'wash out' the effects of any negative commentary/perception around it.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's 4 tflops then RDNA 2.0 performance improvements must be around 25% over RDNA 1.0. This 4 tflops GPU must be able to run all xbox one x games at the same resolution. Which means it needs to match 6 tflops of Polaris performance. RDNA 1.0 cards are only around 25% more powerful per flop which gets us to 5 polaris tflops.

this is really good news for RDNA 2.0. That would make the 12 tflops series x offer 3x the performance of an x1x. or 18 polaris tflops. And over 20 tflops of GCN 1.0 performance.

Amazing.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
i think lockhart has the (obvious) potential to reach a bigger, mass market on day 1, but ALSO to be an attractive 2nd device for the hardcore. IF it works as *advertised, its a great plan
I hate the idea of Lockhart...that said as a 'secondary' console for like the kids room or just a spot with small tv I actually kind of get it.

Crazy thought, what if MS has some kind of 'bundle' incentive..like Lockhart is normally $299 but if you purchase it along with your Series X you get it for $199? That sure would move some units fast.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
If you are referring to weird / difficult to really use feature (touchscreen of DS 4 for exemple), yes.
Adaptative trigger, if easy to use, can be a feature dev liked. If they liked it they will probably used it.

I wonder if they will add features at the OS level for controller customization that would allow us to adjust this directly, especially if the developers choose not to.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
My guess: it'd be done now to try to get ahead of the narrative that it's a bad idea, and so will be attended by a smattering of dev commentary about why it's not a problem at all etc. etc.

Announcing it at the eleventh hour with pricing might leave too little time before launch to try to 'wash out' the effects of any negative commentary/perception around it.

i definitely expect MS to work with DF to show off games running on both consoles in the lead up to launch - but after e3 when they shown the games at their best (on series x)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the idea of Lockhart...that said as a 'secondary' console for like the kids room or just a spot with small tv I actually kind of get it.

Crazy thought, what if MS has some kind of 'bundle' incentive..like Lockhart is normally $299 but if you purchase it along with your Series X you get it for $199? That sure would move some units fast.

it sure would. craigslist would be flooded with brand new, "dsicounted", $249 lockharts :D

but other than that, i dont think that would sell well and certainly wouldnt expect it

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Don't care for? Think you are under selling that a bit
www.resetera.com

Windows Central Journo Telling People to Follow Homophobic Toxic Gamer

I'm really surprised to see Jez Corden telling people to follow Dealer Gaming. For those of you who are unaware, Dealer has been one of the most toxic gamers in the community. He literally did a video calling Playstation users F@gs and talking about their mothers. Why in the hell would a well...

good lord that thread. Yeah I undersold it on purpose I don't want to start a shitstorm of arguments

You sure about that? Pretty sure dealer knows about as much as the rest of us. Besides the fact he is a toxic rabid fanboy.

Tom Warren said 12 TF back in November 2019.

yes I'm sure. Dealer essentially outlined the December Win Central article before it even released like I said I'm pretty sure he's getting info from somewhere and he wouldn't have guests like Ybarra, Blackley, and other MS Xbox staff on his podcast Without at least having contact with MS marketing or them personally. Do I think his word should be gospel...no I'm just saying I think he knows more about Xbox plans than we do it for any other reason his ability to have MS people in his comment section on the reg (Ybarra) and his video about XSX before Windows Central launched their article.

ultimately I still say wait for confirmation but Jez for sure like Tom Warren knows things and there is enough smoke to deduce that something will be discussed in the near future.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
If thats the case I actually just don't see a reason why I'd want this instead of an Xbox One X considering they're the same price (presumambly the XBX is just going to be $299 till the end of the year at this rate). Like Lockheart seems like a compromised device then.

Because the only thing that the XOX can offer that Lockhart can't is a disk drive and Lockhart will be equivalent (GPU) it far superior (CPU, SSD) in every other way, and won't see support start to dry up by 2022 or so.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Because the only thing that the XOX can offer that Lockhart can't is a disk drive and Lockhart will be equivalent (GPU) it far superior (CPU, SSD) in every other way, and won't see support start to dry up by 2022 or so.

The post I was replying to was saying that Xbox One games would look better on an X than a Lockhart.

I feel like thats just a non starter for a device like this. It's literally a downgrade in certain regards if thats true. It has to play Xbox One games at the same level of an X.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
The post I was replying to was saying that Xbox One games would look better on an X than a Lockhart.

I feel like thats just a non starter for a device like this. It's literally a downgrade in certain regards if thats true. It has to play Xbox One games at the same level of an X.

Apologies, missed that. But I don't believe it's true, I reckon even with equivalent GPU power, the back compat team will be wringing some extra shinies out of previous-gen games.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
it seems to me that it would be a given to have a disc drive, for physical media and multimedia. if any segment of the market would be savvy enough and willing to go all digital, i'd think it would be the hardcore.

I think Microsoft is banking on the idea of physical media dying off to cut the drive and hit their price point.

I don't feel like that's a bad bet either, but time will tell.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody have a link to Shinobi's tweet? I was looking through his page, but not finding anything that stood out from the past 3 days.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Me when lockhart is revealed:

ubP48XN.jpg

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
The fact that his content is allowed to be posted anywhere on Restera is truly stunning to me.

Not an excuse but I think he has apologized for those remarks. I think no matter how you feel personally about someone's orientation it's never acceptable to use homophobic slurs. I do see your point however and agree that it should only be posted here once it's corroborated by a journalist.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Does anybody have a link to Shinobi's tweet? I was looking through his page, but not finding anything that stood out from the past 3 days.
Next time we get new stuff should be fun.

Week ten into the year now, looking forward to what else is in store.
Don't lock yourselves into thinking one way. I mean Lionhead Studios? Oh dear lol.

Anyway, I don't have the heart to tease further.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
If Lockhart turns out to be exactly what's been rumored it will have far better performance than the PS4 Pro and the One X. I think that's all that matters for an entry level system. As long as they price is right, of course.
Exactly. A 4TF Next Gen CPU is going to be much more efficient and capable versus the 6TF GPU in the "X". The biggest thing will be the CPU in the Series S, that alone will be the big game changer pairing it with a next gen 4tf GPU. It would easily run circles around the PRO/X. I think if everything is true is that Lock is designed to be 1080p and some cases perhaps 1440p at the max with good frame rates. I would think that depending on what effects they turn on that most games will be 1080p, which for an entry level next gen system is really good depending on the price of the unit.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
If it's 4 tflops then RDNA 2.0 performance improvements must be around 25% over RDNA 1.0. This 4 tflops GPU must be able to run all xbox one x games at the same resolution. Which means it needs to match 6 tflops of Polaris performance. RDNA 1.0 cards are only around 25% more powerful per flop which gets us to 5 polaris tflops.

this is really good news for RDNA 2.0. That would make the 12 tflops series x offer 3x the performance of an x1x. or 18 polaris tflops. And over 20 tflops of GCN 1.0 performance.

Amazing.

Or maybe it just plays Xbox One S versions of games. I hope you are right but I am guessing against it. You will still get the SSD, stable framerates, and dynamic scaling.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
People are falsely using PS4 Pro vs X power as the expectation for what will happen for Sony's next gen console.

It's flawed. Sony has always highly prioritized power at the start of a new gen. They didn't go all out on the Pro because it wasn't a new gen.

Cerny has always said 6-8X leap is required between gens. That's a minimum of 11 TF
Bingo.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't have guests like Ybarra, Blackley, and other MS Xbox staff on his podcast Without at least having contact with MS marketing or them personally. Do I think his word should be gospel...no I'm just saying I think he knows more about Xbox plans than we do it for any other reason his ability to have MS people in his comment section on the reg (Ybarra) and his video about XSX before Windows Central launched their article.

ultimately I still say wait for confirmation but Jez for sure like Tom Warren knows things and there is enough smoke to deduce that something will be discussed in the near future.
Can you show me what he said in December? Cause I am almost certain it had already been known.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Or maybe it just plays Xbox One S versions of games. I hope you are right but I am guessing against it. You will still get the SSD, stable framerates, and dynamic scaling.

The One didn't simply run 360 and OG Xbox games as they existed before, I'm not sure why you'd presume that Lockhart would simply run XOS games without any extras.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

That wouldn't make any sense since the Lockhart has a next gen CPU, GPU as well as the SSD. It seems like a next gen console, but with a much weaker GPU.

If you're talking about BC games, I think it should easily handle Xbone X versions.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I have no reason to doubt windows central but to the lay person, hearing that one box is 12TF and the other is 4TF...or even 6TF, which would match the Xbox One X, without showing evidence that it could handle next-gen games seems like a hard thing to do.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
But yes, I do think that Lockhart will likely be running games at 1080p not 4K. From a marketing and messaging perspective, I think doing some stuff at 4K and some at 1080p would just be unnecessarily confusing. I do expect the back compat team to work a bit of magic on those One games, however.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
User Banned (1 week): trolling, history of similar behavior
Lots of smoke last couple days regarding Xbox. I think we will get something within the next week and I still think Xbox May be discussed tonight at AMD's FAD. First Dealer this morning and Jez as well reminds me of when they discussed the 12Tf stuff in December dealer posted first then Jez had the Win Central article up not long after.

I'm aware some here don't care for dealer but there is no denying someone is feeding him information whether that be a journalist or someone within MS idk. I still think grain of salt is important when discussing any of these things as anything outside of official communication is rumor and speculation.
Why don't people here like dealer? He gets good info and does a good show. And you're right. There is lots of smoke.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Amazing.
I really don't get where this RDNA 2.0 is 25% over 1.0 comes from, even new architecture with node shrinks don't get those gains sometimes.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ive seen a lot of sony posters here saying just that.

I can see the value although I personally don't want a 1080p box. I don't play a ton on Xbox but have gamepass and a good 4k TV so would just buy the more expensive box.

My son literally wants an Xbox for university as a 'FIFA box' (his words). Would be almost tempting to get a lockhart as he could presumably share my gamepass access and it wouldn't be super expensive (and he'd be running on a small 1080p TV/monitor)

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
The One didn't simply run 360 and OG Xbox games as they existed before, I'm not sure why you'd presume that Lockhart would simply run XOS games without any extras.

It will run extras, which is almost guaranteed, but I am saying I don't know if it will run Xbox One X versions of the games where you get 4k. I would bet new games or games that are patched will run higher than 1080p but for back compat games I don't know if that will be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.