• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Why did Microsoft go with RDNA 2 when they could have saved money by using RDNA 1 and buying the Ray Tracing Lego blocks separately?
Sony's and MS's RT solutions will probably be AMD's solution and AMD's solution will probably reside fully in the CUs. IMO both are RDNA 2. Before XSX we've had doubt, but now that we know RDNA 2 is ready for prime time for XSX, Sony is probably using it too.

If I had to guess, RDNA 2 will have a modified CU that also has a bigger cache (L0, maybe L1 too), which will also improve IPC and lower the memory bandwidth requirements.

I actually did not know that either that it was derivable from Github (or I forgot it - old man lol). Always nice to see things add up from different angles (die size calc and github in this case).

I already feel satisfied with both consoles and the expected specs. The good thing is, it only can get better if I am wrong with the PS5.
Maybe I should do some sort of a Github crossed with Flute post aggregating all the data.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know about that tweet, but if factories are x weeks behind schedule with no sign of improvement, is it not conceivable that they know certain deadlines are blown now, without actually being in Q2?

I think it's at least very conceivable that they're having to wargame out a delay scenario now, and/or are delaying reveal marketing until things are clearer.

100%. I think they at the very least wouldn't want to reaffirm a "Holiday 2020" release if that's now potentially in doubt.

I personally don't they ever planned to reveal the PS5 this early, though, for reasons I've described a bunch of times.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't know about that tweet, but if factories are x weeks behind schedule with no sign of improvement, is it not conceivable that they know certain deadlines are blown now, without actually being in Q2?

I think it's at least very conceivable that they're having to wargame out a delay scenario now, and/or are delaying reveal marketing until things are clearer.
I think the biggest problem is being sure the other one will delay too. We know console sales are a marathon, but leaving christmas to the other one isn't the best.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I read that Foxconn is restarting but if by April full productivity is not reached a delay is most likely.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That relates to the 'stopping distance' thing I mentioned. In the patents there's a mechanism to push the back 'stopper' to any point along the trigger's travel. So that, yes, you can 'stop' the trigger being pushed at some point. Or you could say, stop it half-way, and then when the user is applying a certain level of pressure, release it suddenly, to give a sense of something breaking. Or stop it at a certain point to indicate distance to a hit (e.g. if you're swinging a sword with R2, you could stop the travel of the trigger depending on when the blade hits something. If you swing through without hitting anything the trigger would just travel all the way down - in that way, communicating spatial relationships through the trigger). Or even use the stopper to apply pressure in reverse direction of the trigger's travel - so, like in one example, you could simulate the controller being full of liquid, so when you squeeze down on the trigger on the left side, the 'liquid' pressure increases on the other side and pushes the right trigger up and out, and vice versa.

An actual 'dead-stop' stopping mechanism that prevents travel or even can move the trigger back out to another programmed position adds so much that I'm deathly curious to see it confirmed in real impressions. The Wired article did not, nor did it preclude it either. I'm really hopeful it's there.

Otherwise, it'd be a case of varying resistance on the way down the travel of the trigger, but whether the resistance could actually be so strong to stop trigger travel without that adjustable stopper, I'm not sure.
I see. Indeed a lot of potential for immersion, damn.

This sounds like something that will definitely make into the psrv 2.0 controllers.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You make a really "great" point here that I didn't think about...

PS4 Pro = 4.2 TF GCN * 2 = 8.4 TF (11 TF GCN)

Xbox One X = 6 TF GCN * 2 = 12 TF (15 TF GCN)

So, both Sony and Microsoft might have just taken their enhanced consoles multiplied it by 2 and called it a day.

NOTE: Mark Cerny did say it would take around 8 TF to be able to do 4K
From Dictator

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...check-out-the-staff-post.168732/post-29410071

8 PS4 TF = PS4 gfx @ 4K
8 Next Gen RDNA TF = next gen gfx @ 4K

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Mod edit: Removed. We do not provide a platform for Dealer Gaming or his content here.

Last edited by a moderator:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the biggest problem is being sure the other one will delay too. We know console sales are a marathon, but leaving christmas to the other one isn't the best.

Yeah, might be a bit of 'would prefer the other to announce first' going on, or hesitating to prematurely say anything. I mean look what happened when Sony announced it was pulling out of events 'early'/before others. They caught flak and conspiracy theories. Now imagine they announce a console delay 'early'/before others...

cta2417

Jan 10, 2018
So what's the lastest? AMD has there Financial earnings today and expect some RDNA 2 info collabed with Microsoft but anything from Sony?

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the lastest? AMD has there Financial earnings today and expect some RDNA 2 info collabed with Microsoft but anything from Sony?
Probably just a mention of the products using their technologies.

"This is RDNA2. It will be used in upcoming products such as the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5"

Yadda Yadda

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I've said 500 times in the past, the Github leak is messy enough for there being more than 36 CU. IMO it's either 36 or 54, but I'm not even sure 3 SEs is possible.
I know that you think both is possible. I was trying to be funny while also making a point and i don't think that user was intereseted in your 54cu thoughts. Sorry that you got involved in that conversation without being actually involved :)

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I don't really get denying RT in the PS5. After the first Wired article, it was fine, the whole thing was very ambiguous. But now? After we already know XSX is RDNA 2, after Sony and AMD are repeating it again and again in every way possible? What's the point of denying PS5 has hardware RT?

I know that you think both is possible. I was trying to be funny while also making a point and i don't think that user was intereseted in your 54cu thoughts. Sorry that you got involved in that conversation without being actually involved :)
It's cool, I've misunderstood you, sorry.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what time the AMD financial meeting is?
t1583442000z4.png

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
What's the chance that they say something along the lines of "We expect that the new consoles will be delayed"

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
AMD has an interest in notifying investors of potential delays to previously forecast earnings, as and when it learns about stuff like that. Likely, though, they would say nothing at least until Sony and MS did - but it puts pressure on Sony and MS to 'notify the chain' sooner rather than later if potentially earnings are going to affected.

However AMD could add warnings/cautions about the possibility of disruption in vague/general terms. I think that on its own would be telling-ish.

But if AMD knows something like this is likely, you can bet they're heavily pressuring the console vendors for clarity, so that they can be upfront with their investors by the next earnings call. Similarly Sony and MS will probably want to be able to give guidance to their own shareholders by the next earnings calls (April).

Status
Not open for further replies.