• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The controller (which history suggests will one day be called the DualShock 5, though Cerny just says "it doesn't have a name yet") does have some features Cerny's more interested in acknowledging. One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun. It also boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.
Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Force feedback for triggers, and two new highly precise vibration motors, connected to analogue sticks.

It looks like we are loosing the full blown "entire controller is vibrating" rumble, but we are getting transformative new tech that can directly impact the gameplay [or at least, offer better immersion].
giphy.gif

Jan 2, 2018
Here's my updated specs (or wishful thinking I guess) of next gen:

PS5:

CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @3.4Ghz,32MB L3
GPU: RDNA2 Navi based [email protected] 9.2TF,HW RT+VRS (call it however you want I still bet Sony's api will have some version of it)
RAM: Unified 16GB GDDR6 with 576 GB/S BW
SSD: Heavily customized with RW speeds >5000 MB/S
I/O: 1x HDMI 2.1,3x USB 3.2 Gen 2, 1x USB Type-C with Virtual Link support for easy PSVR 2 connection
MIsc: Wi-Fi 6,Bluetooth 5.0
Price: 499$,really can't see it being lower honestly.

Series X:

CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @3.6Ghz,32MB L3
GPU: RDNA2 Navi based [email protected] 12.2TF,HW RT+VRS
SSD: customized with RW speeds ~3500 MB/S
I/O: 1x HDMI 2.1,3x USB 3.2 Gen 2
Price:499$,can see MS taking bigger loss here than Sony

Hoping for a surprise in the GPU department of PS5,but I'll definitely be happy if the 2 machines will end up being something like what I speculated-
It will make it easy for me to use the PS5 as an exclusives machine only and the Series X for the rest,just like the 360/PS3 days.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Where? I want to see too!

You can hear it.

In case you can't:

"AMD as a company and RTG as a group we very, very strongly believe in the value and capability of ray-tracing, we really do. And that's the reason why Lisa has very clearly mentioned that RDNA 2, which is the next-gen, will actually support ray tracing in hardware.

The second point is this: most of you are already very, very familiar with this, and it's actually public information now. Both the next-gen Xbox, as well as the next-gen PlayStation, both of them are going to be powered by Radeon, and both of them support hardware ray-tracing natively."

Cerny on the 2nd wired article:

Before they do, Cerny wants to clarify something. When we last discussed the forthcoming console, he spoke about its ability to support ray-tracing, a technique that can enable complex lighting and sound effects in 3D environments. Given the many questions he's received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it's not a software-level fix, which some had feared. "There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," he says, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The facted it didn't had RT already confirmed the 36 CU wasn't the whole thing.
So yes before and yes after. But people will still say no.

Oh I know. Just thinking it is hilarious that people thought Sony would just go with a GPU that only has 36CU like the PS4Pro and no RT despite the fact that Sony repeatedly said the PS5 has RT.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Here's my updated (or wishful thinking I guess) of next gen:

PS5:

CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @3.4Ghz,32MB L3
GPU: RDNA2 Navi based [email protected] 9.2TF,HW RT+VRS (call it however you want I still bet Sony's api will have some version of it)
SSD: Heavily customized with RW speeds >5000 MB/S
I/O: 1x HDMI 2.1,3x USB 3.2 Gen 2, 1x USB Type-C with Virtual Link support for easy PSVR 2 connection
Price: 499$,really can't see it being lower honestly.

Series X:

CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @3.6Ghz,32MB L3
GPU: RDNA2 Navi based [email protected] 12.2TF,HW RT+VRS
SSD: customized with RW speeds ~3500 MB/S
I/O: 1x HDMI 2.1,3x USB 3.2 Gen 2
Price:499$,can see MS taking bigger loss here than Sony

Hoping for a surprise in the GPU department of PS5,but I'll definitely be happy if the 2 machines will end up being something like what I speculated-
It will make it easy for me to use the PS5 as an exclusives machine only and the Series X for the rest,just like the 360/PS3 days.
It really is a given that PS5 would have VRS even if it's their own version, just as they have multithreading that was to be a big thing with DX12. As well as Tier2 RT.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
These new hardware addons inside DS5 are also reason why DS4 will [IMO] not be supported for PS5 games.

In a new Rocksteady game, Batman can insert his hand into a safe lock and we can feel with the trigger the exact sweet spot for lockpicking. Also, the mere walking can inform us about the texture of the ground via vibration on thumbsticks. If Two Face leads blindfolded Bats across his hideout, we can later recreate the route by only remembering the thumbstick vibration of packed dirt, grass, freshly dug dirt, water puddles, etc.

On DS4, for all that we would only get crude rumble vibrations or audio/visual cues.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Since we entered March already. I think Sony's plan was and is to reveal the PS5 one day before or after Microsofts E3 Press Conference. Not sure if it will be a State of Play or in a building, but that's the only reasonable two dates I can come up with at this hour.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Do you mind if I ask why it *seems* like devs are on board with the platform-specific features of the Switch but not so much with other platforms?

Gyro aim gets a lot of love on this forum and is possible with DS4 yet it's not something you see on PS4 for some odd reason.

EDIT: your opinion on this phenomenon, not that you specifically know.

I'm not mega familiar with the switch to be honest, I'm not sure what unique things games tend to use ,

but If I were to guess...
There are less specifics to deal with overall thanks to messaging and parties and whatnot being bare bones, this
Some of the games being designed / ported with mobile in mind which have touchscreens and gyros by default.
Smaller porting houses a singular focus on porting to switch with staff who have a lot of love for the Nintendo hardware.

A friend of mine worked for a dev back in the 360 days and I remember him telling me that his colleagues simply did not understand what achievements were and how games were using them, he had to fight really hard to get the game he was working on to have anything beyond finish level 1 , finish level 2 , complete the campaign on hard.

Perhaps there is still an awareness component that prevents these things happening.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
He also said it was public knowledge and wether it's AMD RT or which RDNA is not public knowledge, just that they are powered by AMD GPUs.

And I said it before it is highly likely that they are using AMD RT, RDNA2 doesn't make sense for Sony or MS to me. RDNA1 with added features from 2 is what makes economical sense to me, especially RDNA2 release date being unknown and RDNA1 having been delayed.
Hmm I just think it's extremely unlikely that Sony will use non-AMD solution for their hardware ray tracing.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I can't wait to unleash his next beautiful brainchild on the world. It's going to be a good day. I'll get some chicken wings and beer and snacks and break out all my PS consoles in a high frenzy while singing some Seal Kiss from a Rose next to my PS2.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I hear it's public information already that both next gen consoles are powered by Radeon, not that they are both based on RDNA2.

The second point is this: most of you are already very, very familiar with this, and it's actually public information now. Both the next-gen Xbox, as well as the next-gen PlayStation, both of them are going to be powered by Radeon, and both of them support hardware ray-tracing natively."
Where does it say that RT is the sole feature of RDNA2 and that both consoles are based on RDNA2 as you are claiming?

Is it not possible for PS5 to have different RT solution and still use Radeon GPU? Or is it not possible for PS5 to use AMD RT and still be based on Navi(RDNA1), just as PS4 borrowed from GCN2? Didn't Klee mention that their RT is different?

What if Sony took AMD RT and made improvements to it and customized it in their own way?

Doesn't this guy say that things he just said are already public knowledge? Wether PS5 is based on RDNA1 or 2 is not public knowledge, so wouldn't those things contradict each other?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It could be, but it hasn't been confirmed by anyone yet. He said it is public knowledge that both Sony and MS consoles are powered by Radeon, that is nothing new said there that we didn't already know. I'm really not sure how some people just jump into conclusions how GPU being AMD=RDNA2 based lol. Also didn't Klee mention that RT was different? Would GPU stop being Radeon if Sony had AMD put Sony/3rd party designed RT in it? They are semi custom so anything can go.

And you do know that RT is not the only RDNA2 feature right? Just having RT that is also in RDNA2 GPUs doesn't make such device RDNA2.

I've already explained this: PS4 is based on GCN1, yet it has some GCN2 features in it, and it is widely reffered to as being GCN1.5 as it didn't have all of GCN2 features.

So it is really not a rocket science to conclude that simply even having AMD RT doesn't make PS5 chip automatically RDNA2.
While everything you and others that say this is true...we are refuting:

Mark Cerny for ray tracing (not you or those that refute this clip, this is another subject altogether)

This AMD engineer saying RDNA 2 for both consoles.

It's just gonna be the same song n dance until Sony says RDNA or RDNA 2. Even then I know some folks will be like naw, let's wait for DF to do their breakdown.

I just wanna know if this is the case, what does that mean for the github data?

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Can someone give me a cool gameplay example that would use adaptive force feedback triggers?

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Hmm I just think it's extremely unlikely that Sony will use non-AMD solution for their hardware ray tracing.
I 100% agree with you, but we don't know anything for sure as nothing has been confirmed. And if they are using AMD RT solution we don't know what the rest of the chip is based on or if they did any improvements to RT.

score01

Oct 27, 2017

How dare you question the sanctity of github?

I would have thought it obvious when they say it is using Radeon and Native RT for both nextgen boxes that both Xbox and PS will be getting the same hardware but I guess we will have to wait for the words from the horses mouth to silence the naysayers.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
While everything you and others that say this is true...we are refuting:

Mark Cerny for ray tracing (not you or those that refute this clip, this is another subject altogether)

This AMD engineer saying RDNA 2 for both consoles.

It's just gonna be the same song n dance until Sony says RDNA or RDNA 2. Even then I know some folks will be like naw, let's wait for DF to do their breakdown.

Ahhh I see, I believe that missconception is when he says "next gen" he's not talking about consoles, but saying next gen AMD RDNA aka RDNA2 has RT in it. And then says on other note we all know both consoles are powered by Radeon and have RT. (Didn't know that anyone was still refuting Sony having RT)
In order for PS5 GPU to be RDNA2 it would have to be based on that which includes entire architecture not just RT.

I personally see PS5 as being RDNA2 based as highly unlikely, first because of timelines and how uncertain it was if RDNA would even be ready for 2020. Second thing is higher cost of doing RDNA2 based than RDNA.

It doesn't mean anything for github data, just that RT wasn't tested in that data.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm not mega familiar with the switch to be honest, I'm not sure what unique things games tend to use ,

but If I were to guess...
There are less specifics to deal with overall thanks to messaging and parties and whatnot being bare bones, this
Some of the games being designed / ported with mobile in mind which have touchscreens and gyros by default.
Smaller porting houses a singular focus on porting to switch with staff who have a lot of love for the Nintendo hardware.

A friend of mine worked for a dev back in the 360 days and I remember him telling me that his colleagues simply did not understand what achievements were and how games were using them, he had to fight really hard to get the game he was working on to have anything beyond finish level 1 , finish level 2 , complete the campaign on hard.

Perhaps there is still an awareness component that prevents these things happening.

Hmm, It could be my middle aged mind playing tricks on me but I'm sure that inclusion of achievements were one of the things Microsoft insisted on as part of Xbox 360 games dev? I never worked on the design side so I'm not 100% sure.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Welcome back, op. Glad to see you return. Things are getting back to normal. If only there was a way to block mod posts/spam this thread would be dandy for me

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Most 3rd party games don't use the Xbox triggers as the 1st party ones do, same with the touch pad and the speakers, the Ps2's analog buttons, the Six axis functions and outside controller 3rd parties don't use most of the Xbox and PS4's OS specific features either.

which is a shame , as many of those things are really cool.

I'm not saying that the DS5 triggers aren't gonna be cool, but experience tells me that we will see it in launch titles when it's the new hotness, then it falls by the wayside as developers prioritise resources on more valuable things.
This may just not be the case this time around. If the adaptive triggers are as big a deal as I think they can be, a lot of games would want to get in oni because it would just become the best way to do certain things.

Time will tell I guess.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It's highly likely at this point that the PS5 uses RDNA2, regardless of what people say. Sony will have been aware, as were MS, of what AMD would have available in late 2020. It's basically they either spend a huge fortune on R&D for their own, customised RDNA1 chip with RT or they use a form of the chip that AMD was going to make anyway and take advantage of additional features. The only reason I can see them not going RDNA2 is if there were severe problems in development

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
It's highly likely at this point that the PS5 uses RDNA2, regardless of what people say. Sony will have been aware, as were MS, of what AMD would have available in late 2020. It's basically they either spend a huge fortune on R&D for their own, customised RDNA1 chip with RT or they use a form of the chip that AMD was going to make anyway and take advantage of additional features. The only reason I can see them not going RDNA2 is if there were severe problems in development
RT is not the only feature of RDNA2, simply having RT does not make PS5 have RDNA2.

Making a chip based on RDNA2 would surely be more expensive than based on RDNA1 with AMD RT added.

Wether RDNA2 would be ready for 2020 was very uncertain, even Navi was delayed, they were going to release console in 2019 and then changed their mind and made changes to the chip. Would it not be cheaper to add AMD or w/e RT instead of making entire new chip from scratch, and which do you think is more likely?

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
RT is not the only feature of RDNA2, simply having RT does not make PS5 have RDNA2.

Making a chip based on RDNA2 would surely be more expensive than based on RDNA1 with AMD RT added.

Wether RDNA2 would be ready for 2020 was very uncertain, even Navi was delayed, they were going to release console in 2019 and then changed their mind and made changes to the chip. Would it not be cheaper to add AMD or w/e RT instead of making entire new chip from scratch, and which do you think is more likely?
No, it would be far cheaper to use an AMD chip already capable of HW RT, in which case an RDNA2 chip is the most obvious solution; like I said, Sony would have been well aware of how far along RDNA2 chips were in development, just like MS, and the only reason to not go with that is if there were clear problems in development; this also discards the fact that Sony very much won the last time they gambled on future tech and that would heavily influence their decision.

Also, if Sony was planning to release the PS5 in 2019, they would have altered that plan a long time ago: IIRC Matt hinted at plans changing around 2017.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

I like how you keep posting that Sony can't afford RDNA 2 and instead spent pointless R&D money (that AMD had already spent) to insert their RT tech inside RDNA 1. I don't even.

My head hurts.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mind if I ask why it *seems* like devs are on board with the platform-specific features of the Switch but not so much with other platforms?

Gyro aim gets a lot of love on this forum and is possible with DS4 yet it's not something you see on PS4 for some odd reason.

EDIT: your opinion on this phenomenon, not that you specifically know.
I've been screaming for more Gyro support across PlayStation gaming for years.
It was awesome in the few Vita games that supported it. Getting headshots in UC:GA and Killzone were incredibly satisfying. I don't know why Sony haven't pushed it as an optional control scheme in all their first party games since every PS platform since PS3 has supported it. FYI - Vita gyro isn't used over remote play - for games that used DS4 Gyro either...

I think for some reason - devs seem to think it works only on portable systems - even though it works less well because you inevitably tilt the screen away from you and light interferes with visibility.
Although I recently saw Rushy tweet recently about MotorStorm Gyro controls - there was internal resistance to implementing it(even from him) but he was glad they did - as it allowed handicapped gamers to play. He didn't explain the internal resistance though.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Can someone give me a cool gameplay example that would use adaptive force feedback triggers?
Besides different guns having different levels of trigger resistance, they could let you customize like trigger sensitivity. Battlefield V for example let's you set how little or much you want to press L2 and R2 to aim and shoot. With the option of maxing resistance in tandem, you could have triggers behave like short pull buttons.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

I won't name the developer but they are supporting stadia and there is a growing air of concern about the product. It's not just the game library and dev support that's the problem. Google should have done a proper beta run up instead of launching the beta.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
No, it would be far cheaper to use an AMD chip already capable of HW RT, in which case an RDNA2 chip is the most obvious solution; like I said, Sony would have been well aware of how far along RDNA2 chips were in development, just like MS, and the only reason to not go with that is if there were clear problems in development; this also discards the fact that Sony very much won the last time they gambled on future tech and that would heavily influence their decision.

Also, if Sony was planning to release the PS5 in 2019, they would have altered that plan a long time ago: IIRC Matt hinted at plans changing around 2017.
If it's cheaper then why is PS4 based on GCn1 and using some of GCN2 features instead of just going full blown GCN2? Newer tech is more expensive and process shrink also increases the price further.

So you are saying it's cheaper building brand new chip from scratch with all the portions of the chip being newer and more expensive than using a chip you already designed and adding a single thing to it. Yes and in 2017 release time for full RDNA2 chip were uncertain, since even RDNA got delayed going full RDNA was risking delaying your console for the second time.

Didn't Klee also say that their RT is different, so if they are both based on the more expensive RDNA2 and using what is already available how are their RT solutions different then?

Also, both Ms and Sony knew that AMD would be working on 80CU unit, does that mean consoles will have that? How can you say for certain that they were both targeting same price?

Didn't Matt also say that xbox series x would be beefier if xbox series s is a thing, in other words a premium console and low budget console, does that mean Sony was just targeting a premium console and ignores 90% of the userbase?

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Roll Call for Team 14 tflops. Who is with their captain?

Ym48pp.gif

I came to the conclusion yall are more insane than people waiting for the next direct

Sony got no money for RDNA2? Didn't Sony cancel releasing in 2019 in 2017? That would make it a 3 year time frame to do other things. Do you really think Sony is that incapable of looking at the future and basing their decisions on that??

I feel like you are searching for any excuse that you can find to make sure that PS5 is not RDNA2.... I hope you are very wrong :D

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I like how you keep posting that Sony can't afford RDNA 2 and instead spent pointless R&D money (that AMD had already spent) to insert their RT tech inside RDNA 1. I don't even.

My head hurts.
Where did I say that they can't afford it? I said it doesn't make sense to me for them or MS to do it, but MS will be having a premium and budget consoles gives them bigger and smaller BOM. It's not rocket science, that being based on RDNA2 every single chip would cost more to produce vs one time fee to add it onto a chip you already spent R&D money on instead of spending R&D money on brand new chip and every one of those chips costing more.

Again if it's cheaper to go newer tech then wby isn't Ps4 GCN2?

Status
Not open for further replies.