• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Maybe Sony is waiting the OT number to match the TF number of the PS5? They are doing another dimension of marketing. So the faster we go through OTs the quicker we can get PS5 information

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Remember Ds5 has also the trigger that can be made heavier or lighter directly from the devs. That seems huge.
It does seem nice, just as gyro is, hopefully they made it super simple to use that it actually gets used.

In my opinion biggest thing they can actually do is put a half decent battery in there to be able to get 20+ hrs of playtime or simply let you use AA batteries.

Oct 25, 2017
Posting this again for the new thread. AMD Engineer on tape saying both consoles natively support ray tracing which is part of AMD's RDNA 2.0 push.

That's a big hit against the "Github is final specs" crowd.
37CF2AA1E7DCAAF84129EFBB300479C50CDD653F

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't posted updated predictions since OT7, so here's what I've got for the new OT:

PS5
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.2 - 3.3 GHz, 8 MB L3
GPU: 9.2 - 11.3 TF. Custom RDNA (hybrid of 1 and 2): VRS, AMD RT
Memory (total): 16GB @ 512-576 GB/s GDDR6
SSD: 3,500 - 7,000 MB/s
Price: $399-499

Series X:
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.4 - 3.6 GHz, 16MB L3
GPU: 12.01 - 12.4 TF. RDNA 2.0: VRS, AMD RT(+), Mesh shaders
Memory (total): 16 - 20 GB @ 560 - 620 GB/s GDDR6
SSD: 2,000 - 4,000 MB/s
Price: $499

Series S:
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.1 - 3.4 GHz, 16MB L3
GPU: 4.3 - 5.3 TF. RDNA 2.0: VRS, AMD RT(+), Mesh shaders
Memory (total): 12 - 16 GB @ 336 - 448 GB/s GDDR6
Price: $299

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I'm pretty sure this is a pretty dumb question to ask, but is there any chance the new consoles will have any sorta dynamic resolution? I'm sure a lot of games will aim specifically for 4k but most people don't have TV's/monitors that support that resolution, let alone ones that have proper HDMI versions to support higher frame rates. Obviously things will be downscaled but I'm wondering if people will question the benefits of next-gen.
4K image looks better on 1080P tv than 1080p image, things are supersampled.

As of June 2019 31% of households had at least one 4K screen. By time consoles are released I'm sure that the number will be around 50%.

Then there is supposedly going to be 1440p console Xbox series S

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I haven't posted updated predictions since OT7, so here's what I've got for the new OT:

PS5

Series X:

Series S:
those are 3 excellent machines, especially if sony can keep the cost down.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I think (both console use Radeon GPUs) ∧ (both console supports hardware ray tracing natively) ⇒ both console use Radeon tech to do hardware ray tracing natively.

Still I wish they could make it clearer. Phil's "do the math" costed us the GCN vs RDNA TF debate, now this is gonna cost us some logical deduction.
He also said it was public knowledge and wether it's AMD RT or which RDNA is not public knowledge, just that they are powered by AMD GPUs.

And I said it before it is highly likely that they are using AMD RT, RDNA2 doesn't make sense for Sony or MS to me. RDNA1 with added features from 2 is what makes economical sense to me, especially RDNA2 release date being unknown and RDNA1 having been delayed.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

PS5

Series X:

Series S:
Why do you think MS does not have a custom chip? That actually is the strangest prediction I have ever seen.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Posting this again for the new thread. AMD Engineer on tape saying both consoles natively support ray tracing which is part of AMD's RDNA 2.0 push.

I think their target was 14 but they will settle for 13.

They would need to be on 7nm+, RDNA 2.0 and use HBM to bring down the tdp requirements and then push the clocks as high as they can.

i dont see them going with a 72 cu part. 50 some CUs and high clocks assuming their cooling solution is amazing, their console has vents coming out of its ass and those 7nm+ rdna 2.0 efficiencies are really that drastic.

This video never plays sound for me. Is it just me?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

PS5

Series X:

Series S:
If indeed ps5 soc is smaller I think more probable is that ps5 cpu clocks also will be higher than xsx

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Oh boy here we go again 😑
Again? Sorry if I'm trying to keep up same level of scrutiny as for every other place, or should we make an exception because it would be news for PS? What happened to "Navi was made for Sony"?
Besides did he say or insinuate that both consoles are based on RDNA2 even if they both use AMD RT? Don't forget that PS4 and Xbox one are based on GCN1, but also borrow features from GCN2. In case of those consoles having features from GCN2 didn't make them GCN2, so why should different rules apply now?

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I think MS is in a weird place with how much they can improve/change their controller because of the existence of the Elite line. If they add too many *must have* features to Series X they will risk obsolescing their Elite controllers and alienating their whales. Sony is in a much better position to introduce new input ideas and they've already indicated that.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Again? Sorry if I'm trying to keep up same level of scrutiny as for every other place, or should we make an exception because it would be news for PS? What happened to "Navi was made for Sony"?
Besides did he say or insinuate that both consoles are based on RDNA2 even if they both use AMD RT? Don't forget that PS4 and Xbox one are based on GCN1, but also borrow features from GCN2. In case of those consoles having features from GCN2 didn't make them GCN2, so why should different rules apply now?
Based on language from before MS announced RDNA 2.0 in their consoles from both I will continue to speculate that Sony is on 1.5 or whatever you want to call a hybrid as the quoted video doesn't really confirm anything we didn't know.
Both are Radeon GPUs
Both have RT

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Just like RDNA 2 PC graphics cards' RT will be AMD-based design, consoles RT will be too. This is not rocket science.
It could be, but it hasn't been confirmed by anyone yet. He said it is public knowledge that both Sony and MS consoles are powered by Radeon, that is nothing new said there that we didn't already know. I'm really not sure how some people just jump into conclusions how GPU being AMD=RDNA2 based lol. Also didn't Klee mention that RT was different? Would GPU stop being Radeon if Sony had AMD put Sony/3rd party designed RT in it? They are semi custom so anything can go.

And you do know that RT is not the only RDNA2 feature right? Just having RT that is also in RDNA2 GPUs doesn't make such device RDNA2.

I've already explained this: PS4 is based on GCN1, yet it has some GCN2 features in it, and it is widely reffered to as being GCN1.5 as it didn't have all of GCN2 features.

So it is really not a rocket science to conclude that simply even having AMD RT doesn't make PS5 chip automatically RDNA2.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
I think MS is in a weird place with how much they can improve/change their controller because of the existence of the Elite line. If they add too many *must have* features to Series X they will risk obsolescing their Elite controllers and alienating their whales. Sony is in a much better position to introduce new input ideas and they've already indicated that.

I said this on Reddit, but I'm worried a default inclusion of paddles on the DS5 is going to work against Sony. This seems to be what the attachment is pointing towards. By bundling it in by default it will increase the price of the box and to be honest I highly doubt it's something the casual gamer will use / want.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Probably won't be utilised very much, just like all of those platform specific features.
If you are referring to weird / difficult to really use feature (touchscreen of DS 4 for exemple), yes.
Adaptative trigger, if easy to use, can be a feature dev liked. If they liked it they will probably used it.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Here we go again, another thread of madness. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the "haptic feedback" in the PS5 controller going to be basically the same thing the XOne has had since launch in "impulse triggers"?

Xbox One gamepad has a vibration on its triggers.

DS5 reportedly has true force feedback on triggers [force pushing the finger back], and both analogue stick have "haptic feedback" motors that can emulate various surfaces/game elements [different surfaces, bouncy bridge, etc].

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ehhh, using the trigger tension for a different feel when shooting different guns feels like something that could be implemented in pretty much any shooter, but we'll see what happens.

Most 3rd party games don't use the Xbox triggers as the 1st party ones do, same with the touch pad and the speakers, the Ps2's analog buttons, the Six axis functions and outside controller 3rd parties don't use most of the Xbox and PS4's OS specific features either.

which is a shame , as many of those things are really cool.

I'm not saying that the DS5 triggers aren't gonna be cool, but experience tells me that we will see it in launch titles when it's the new hotness, then it falls by the wayside as developers prioritise resources on more valuable things.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
You an insider or got info from official sources claiming such thing?
Most 3rd party games don't use the Xbox triggers as the 1st party ones do, same with the touch pad and the speakers, the Ps2's analog buttons, the Six axis functions and outside controller 3rd parties don't use most of the Xbox and PS4's OS specific features either.

I'm not saying that the DS5 triggers aren't gonna be cool, but experience tells me that we will see it in launch titles when it's the new hotness, then it falls by the wayside as developers prioritise resources on more valuable things.
I bet that haptics will be used more now that both have it. I really couldn't imagine playing racing game without having that tire grip slipping feeling lol.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

That really sucks - I thought enhanced triggers would make for much more logical implementations than esoteric features that require you to make whole new actions and mechanics.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

Do you mind if I ask why it *seems* like devs are on board with the platform-specific features of the Switch but not so much with other platforms?

Gyro aim gets a lot of love on this forum and is possible with DS4 yet it's not something you see on PS4 for some odd reason.

EDIT: your opinion on this phenomenon, not that you specifically know.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

The controller (which history suggests will one day be called the DualShock 5, though Cerny just says "it doesn't have a name yet") does have some features Cerny's more interested in acknowledging. One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun. It also boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.
Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Force feedback for triggers, and two new highly precise vibration motors, connected to analogue sticks.

It looks like we are loosing the full blown "entire controller is vibrating" rumble, but we are getting transformative new tech that can directly impact the gameplay [or at least, offer better immersion].

Status
Not open for further replies.