• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The way the conversation and the "consensus" forms around various rumors here is hilarious. Even the tiniest implication is enough to "confirm" some aspects of the specs. First the Github leak was all but certain. Then there was some wavering as the numbers and elements being tested (or not tested) were scrutinized. Then Sony's silence and MS revealing tf numbers all but confirmed the Github leak again. Now we're back to another old-ass rumor. Looking forward to when we're back to the Github leak. >_>

Please Sony. The people in this thread are going insane.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I am not surprised this is coming from you.

Hmm, let's see ...
Dec 2019, I changed from parity to console specific prediction, see below. Not that off, when we think about where the discussion and the specs are now.

lhqjNXj.png

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Back. End of an Era - Banned for a meme. Decided to come back with something meaningful. Here it is! My updated prediction. Base: for Xbox: Xbox was easy. They already outlined the specs by multipliers. 2 times power of the Xbox One X GPU . What ever it is, as a firm value it will...

I would like you stay a little bit closer to what happened ...

Edit:
Bonus content below
www.thefpsreview.com

PlayStation 5 Rumors: 2 GHz Radeon Navi GPU, February 2020 Unveil

Serial hardware leaker @Komachi has returned with some news on Sony’s upcoming console. The PlayStation 5 utilizes a Navi-based APU codenamed Oberon, and one of the engineering samples is supposedly clocked at 2 GHz. BREAKING: THIS IS PS5. According to this leak- the GPU will be clocked at an...

Well, if you keep changing them to reflect what gets announced you are bound to be right eventually...

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I am not surprised this is coming from you.

Hmm, let's see ...
Dec 2019, I changed from parity to console specific prediction, see below. Not that off, when we think about where the discussion and the specs are now.

lhqjNXj.png

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Back. End of an Era - Banned for a meme. Decided to come back with something meaningful. Here it is! My updated prediction. Base: for Xbox: Xbox was easy. They already outlined the specs by multipliers. 2 times power of the Xbox One X GPU . What ever it is, as a firm value it will...

I would like you stay a little bit closer to what happened ...

Edit:
Bonus content below
www.thefpsreview.com

PlayStation 5 Rumors: 2 GHz Radeon Navi GPU, February 2020 Unveil

Serial hardware leaker @Komachi has returned with some news on Sony’s upcoming console. The PlayStation 5 utilizes a Navi-based APU codenamed Oberon, and one of the engineering samples is supposedly clocked at 2 GHz. BREAKING: THIS IS PS5. According to this leak- the GPU will be clocked at an...
You believe ps5 will be max 9.7 TF? Welp.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I haven't been in this thread for almost one month, what's the latest? Nothing? 😂
Same thing here 😂 I know november is far away with 8 months left. I guess now in 2020 a lot can be happen with a product with 8 months or are they perhaps redesigning the whole thing due to SX?
I'm starting to get more and more pissed with Sony. Why are they whisper quiet and don't talk to their fans? I have both SX and Ps5 preordered but this silence from Sony is killing me slowly and to be frank I feel kind of disturbed. One company talking loudly about their plans for the future, showing off their design and vision. Another company being completely silent.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
People look at fucking numbers and don't care for theoretically more powerful because better architecture. Come the fuck on now.

Jan 21, 2019
User Warned: Console warring
PlayStation fanboys losing it because more people get to play their precious exclusives.

I am very interested in how the game looks at console settings but at native 4K, since I love their upscaling on the PS4 pro.

Edit: I truly meant this as a joke, I am a PlayStation fan myself and I love the idea that more people get to enjoy Sony games. But I understand how this sounded wrong and that I was antagonizing people. This was not my intention and I am sorry for that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You believe ps5 will be max 9.7 TF? Welp.
The more info we got the more I narrowed down my prediction until my final one which is 9TF. I like full integers :)
You saw the bonus content?
You were all in for 9.2 TF too. Even in August 2019. What happened? At that point in time the Andrew Reiner and Jason Schreier statement about Stadia was already out.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The more info we got the more I narrowed down my prediction until my final one which is 9TF. I like full integers :)
You were all in for 9.2 TF too. Even in August 2019. What happened? At that point in time the Andrew Reiner and Jason Schreier statement about Stadia was already out.
RDNA 2 happened. Navi 2x happened.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Using this logic why does the Lockhart have to exist at all? It's going to be a sidegrade over an Xbox One X so why not just make that the default baseline console for the next 5-7 years? And being able to use the system you already own is more accessible. I guess I'm just missing something because I'm not seeing what this brings to the table thats a substantial upgrade over the box they're already selling.

The SSD and CPU alone make Lockhart a massive upgrade over Xbox One X. Then you factor in a RDNA2 GPU with raytracing and it's not even a competition.

In Terms of appeal Think of Lockhart as a successor to X1S while XSX is for those who must have top of the line.

1440p. games will dip below 30 fps. it happens every gen. devs will always push graphical effects over resolution.

i can promise you when devs saw that hellblade 2 teaser, they didnt say hey but our game runs at native 4k 60 fps! they will do everything in their power to get close to that level of visual fidelity.

we will see if switch like sacrifices wont be the norm. i stand by my prediction that those games will be severely handicapped compared to the series x ports. we can come to this after launch window has passed and we start seeing next gen only games being made for the series x. that said, switch ports seem to be good enough for DF and several other Switch users so im sure people will be fine with 720p ports of xbox series x games.

What is your basis for saying 1440p games will dip below 30 fps? And even if late gen 1440p games did dip below 30 fps, if the resolution drop is proportional to the GPUs capabilities, then the performance will be the same between the two systems.

You can have your prediction, but the switch comparison is simply disingenuous. We can compare a 12TF gpu with 4TF gpu right now and have them both run demanding games like Star Citizen, and have resolution be the only difference in performance - and that game isn't even optimized like your typical console game will be.

If you believe XSX and PS5 users on 4K TVs would be fine with 1440p games , then why wouldn't a Lockhart owner on a 1080p TV be ok with a 720p game?

Last edited:

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Some minor things that may be of interest.

streaming-experience-mvk41.jpg

Source: https://nabshow.com/2020/explore/on...-pavilions-and-theaters/streaming-experience/

NAB is not a gaming oriented show and does rarely feature any news on PlayStation/Xbox. Given the above mention of Xbox and PlayStation in a streaming experience context, I suppose there's a slight chance of something new. The form factor of Xbox Series X is already revealed, and with more information on the system coming March 18, I could see Xbox Series X being at NAB Show 2020 in some form. Whether PS5 could be shown in this streaming experience is entirely dependent on when the system will be (fully) revealed. Sony has a press conference on Sunday, April 19, but I wouldn't count on that to feature much, if anything, on PS5. At the same time, not much was expected from CES 2020 and that gave us the PS5 logo. If you want to watch Sony's NAB Show 2019 press conference, it's available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM05afkM1TA

sonyhallqjj0x.png

Sony Hall has private events on March 25, 27 and 30. Probably not worth getting worked up about, but I suppose could do well for a smaller reveal event for a very select crowd.

Live Shows in NYC | New York Shows | Sony Hall

Check out all of the live shows that are on the horizon at Sony Hall on our calendar. Artists from multiple genres perform at our NYC venue.
That last bit is interesting.... any chance it can be something other than PS5 related?

EDIT: Looking again, there's waaaaaayyyyy too many of those mf's on the list

Oct 25, 2017
If we're not accurate with the wording we use it's really easy to go off base.

He said "targeting" more that Stadia's 10.7 TF.

He didn't say they'd be "close", he said they'd be "similar"

CPU: 8c/16T
GPU: AMD RDNA
RAM: 16GB
Storage: NVME SSD

The rumored specs for both are quite similar.

This is absolutely correct. He posted his comments on the specs being similar on Twitter. His comment on aiming higher than Stadia was posted on here. His comments about 2080 performance were on a podcast (~38 minutes in).

In fact, when talking on that podcast his comments were "Don't hold me to this out there everybody...I'm pretty sure the specs they're going for are more powerful than the RTX 2080"

These three statements were never incorporated into one of Jason's Kotaku article (as far as I'm aware). They may end up being accurate, but at this time Jason has not been confident (proper sourcing) to put them in an article on Kotaku.com.
Nah, he said we wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between them.

That is cut and dry.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree I'm sure he has his own sources but to say he was the one that broke the rumor is incorrect. I think he's a great investigative journalist but the dude can't have sources everywhere, no one can. Like I say I take everyone's word with skepticism until confirmed by the horse's mouth that includes Jason, Tom. and anyone else.

no one can deny that they are well sourced individuals however.
to be fair, jason didnt do himself any favors by walking back his 10.7+ tflops comments almost immediately. I have had that post of his thrown back at me for almost a year now.

He did something similar with his >rtx 2080 comments by adding so many qualifiers in front of it, people were easily able to dismiss them as his own thoughts.

i believed him then and i believe him now. he might not want us spreading these rumors around, but it doesnt mean he didnt hear those things from devs in the industry. especially when the stuff he heard lines up with what other journalists have heard. klee, reiner and others.

Jan 20, 2019

You know what happen.

If you have something to say just say, if a console comes at 12 TF with 500$ it is obvious peopel want the other too.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Its funny to see the "GCN vs Navi FLOPS" argument rearing its ugly head again, and this time reversed. We're at peak insanity now.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why can't 12 TF RDNA2 happen with PS5? Because people think so? Literally every damn thing we have predicted has been wrong.

Colbert's entire chart has been off. We aren't RDNA 1, we aren't GCN, AND we aren't 9.2 TF

12tf rdna2 can happen for ps5 but it will be expensive and the size of the series x. If you think that's what sony would want to target then theres deffo a chance it will be 12tf.

Look at the size of a ps5 dev kit, it's as large as the ps4 one to me. Maybe a little larger.

I dont think Sony has been over 400 dollars even with the pro? They know that worked for them and a 600/500 dollar ps3 didnt.

Logically I dont think they want to risk rocking that boat again but with Corona they may have to settle for 450-500 dollars.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The SSD and CPU alone make Lockhart a massive upgrade over Xbox One X. Then you factor in a RDNA2 GPU with raytracing and it's not even a competition.

In Terms of appeal Think of Lockhart as a successor to X1S while XSX

What is your basis for saying 1440p games will dip below 30 fps? And even if late gen 1440p games did dip below 30 fps, if the resolution drop is proportional to the GPUs capabilities, then the performance will be the same between the two systems.

You can have your prediction, but the switch comparison is simply disingenuous. We can compare a 12TF gpu with 4TF gpu right now and have them both run demanding games like Star Citizen, and have resolution be the only difference in performance - and that game isn't even optimized like your typical console game will be.

If you believe XSX and PS5 users on 4K TVs would be fine with 1440p games , then why wouldn't a Lockhart owner on a 1080p TV be ok with a 720p game?

I'll laugh really hard if 720p is a thing on Lockhart (I don't think it will be). What is this, 2005? 720p was unacceptable in 2013 on Xbox One, and it amazed me how people lowered their standards in order to defend it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

whats my basis? like half of the games released last year had performance issues and struggled to hit 30 fps. check borderlands, anthem, control and star wars to start off.
this is true for pretty much every gen. even tlou which was a first party exclusive had drops. gta5 ran like shit. best looking game last gen but ran below 30 fps.

star citizen started dev in 2012. its not a next gen game. you keep calling my switch comparison disingenuous but are bringing up a game that started dev when the most powerful card we had was a 3 tflops 680. lets see what happens when we get a game that uses 12 tflops as base.

and i literally said that some people will be ok with 720p games didnt i? switch gamers are happy. DF is happy with 360p ports of games. which is odd to me because they used to make a massive deal about 680p versions of PS3 games that ran at native 720p on xbox 360. im sure some people will be happy with those compromises. but it doesnt mean those compromises wont be drastic.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
to be fair, jason didnt do himself any favors by walking back his 10.7+ tflops comments almost immediately. I have had that post of his thrown back at me for almost a year now.

He did something similar with his >rtx 2080 comments by adding so many qualifiers in front of it, people were easily able to dismiss them as his own thoughts.

i believed him then and i believe him now. he might not want us spreading these rumors around, but it doesnt mean he didnt hear those things from devs in the industry. especially when the stuff he heard lines up with what other journalists have heard. klee, reiner and others.

Jason does this because he was angry someone uses his comment about next-generation consoles and Stadia to do an article. This is why he does not post often in Resetera. And I suppose he uses whispers and rumormongers and other things everywhere, he does not want anyone to use his tweet or post to do an article.

EDIT: When he will be ready he will probably do his own article.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the resolution thing will have to take a step back. More raytracing at 1080p will wow more than less at 4K.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You know what happen.
Just because A announces a higher spec than anticipated doesn't mean B changing their plans that became visible through a data leak that is referenced in the tweet, though at the time we did not know that the data was from that leak. Makes it even more strange if you look into the recent post history of him and his fight for the data is inaccurate.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wouldn't this mean it's time to update the chart.
I did here and on twitter. I even mentioned the node lol ...

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

Time to provide my last prediction LOL While I did not have to change anything on the Xbox side (Spec now confirmed for TFs) it is my final prediction for Sony PS5 now. Have fun ... Edit: Both will use a 7nm node for manufacturing the chips. Not 7nm+!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
12tf rdna2 can happen for ps5 but it will be expensive and the size of the series x. If you think that's what sony would want to target then theres deffo a chance it will be 12tf.

Look at the size of a ps5 dev kit, it's as large as the ps4 one to me. Maybe a little larger.

I dont think Sony has been over 400 dollars even with the pro? They know that worked for them and a 600/500 dollar ps3 didnt.

Logically I dont think they want to risk rocking that boat again but with Corona they may have to settle for 450-500 dollars.
Zhuge and bloomberg have both reported that the BOM is $450. thats $70 more than the PS4. if you think all of that went into SSD and cooling then i dont know what to tell you. Cerny knows GPU is the most important thing in a console.

Also a $450 console wont be $399. it probably wont even be $450. just like how that $381 bom ps4 didnt retail for $381.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony Hall has private events on March 25, 27 and 30. Probably not worth getting worked up about, but I suppose could do well for a smaller reveal event for a very select crowd.

Live Shows in NYC | New York Shows | Sony Hall

Check out all of the live shows that are on the horizon at Sony Hall on our calendar. Artists from multiple genres perform at our NYC venue.
March 25 is curious because a Rockstar insider on GTAForums which are supposedly very strictly moderated teased March 25th as the announcement date for GTA6.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Is this statement necessary? LOL. Come now, we haven't had specs leak yet to warrant console warring.

Nonetheless, I'm almost tempted to double dip just to increase texture filtering and LOD and most importantly run at 60FPS.
I'll buy it just for preservation. Probably on a deal, I already bought the game twice, Collector's Edition, and GOTY version. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.