• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Maybe texel shading in texture space in hardware

US20170178397A1 - Texel shading in texture space - Google Patents

A graphics processing unit is configured to map pixels of a first frame of a video stream to texels, select a subset of the texels for shading based on previously cached texels that were shaded for a second frame, and shade the subset of the texels. The graphics processing unit is also...
Yes that too. We need parity with Turing at the minimum imo.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In one slide, they said RDNA2 is perf improvement +RT + VRS and more. It is in slide 9 of Graphics Roadmap and technology overview the David Wang presentation.

AMD-Radeon-Roadmap-2020_4.png

Maybe RDNA 2 feature set is not fully revealed.
For that audience the slides were shown of course not all was revealed. I think we may see another technical deep dive where AMD presents those new PC Gaming APUs and the architecture differences between RDNA1 and RDNA2. I would expect that at E3 or later in the year. I do not expect AMD is talking about details about the consoles though. That would be the job of Sony and MS. I see some sort of DigitalFoundry or AnandTech article incoming.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the lack of next gen news bothers some here. You can always bide time by going through your backlog. Does it suddenly invalidate or take away from all the great games that have come out this gen and have yet to release just because next gen consoles are imminent? I'm currently going through Yakuza 0 and having a blast and I can't wait to play Resident Evil 3 in less than a month. Hell, if most on Era are already supposedly working adults, I'm sure you're all short on time to really play everything you initially set out to. This behavior of craving for something new is more teenager like than anything

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I don't understand why the lack of next gen news bothers some here. You can always bide time by going through your backlog. Does it suddenly invalidate or take away from all the great games that have come out this gen and have yet to release just because next gen consoles are imminent? I'm currently going through Yakuza 0 and having a blast and I can't wait to play Resident Evil 3 in less than a month. Hell, if most on Era are already supposedly working adults, I'm sure you're all short on time to really play everything you initially set out to. This behavior of craving for something new is more teenager like than anything
Your on an enthusiast website in a thread about enthusiasts of next gen hardware and you are surprised?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You are right. Easy to fill in time with games ...

I picked Dishonored 2 from Game Pass for the last week. First play through was non-lethal, ghost and the playable young queen character, now I do NG+ with Corvo and high chaos and some of the achievements not possible with the non-lethal, ghost approach.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your on an enthusiast website in a thread about enthusiasts of next gen hardware and you are surprised?
By all means, discuss the possibilities, potential strengths and weaknesses of both next gen consoles if you must. It's the whining about Sony's silence I don't understand. Almost as if some people's life depended on it

You are right.

I picked Dishonored 2 from Game Pass for the last week. First play through was non-lethal, ghost and the playable young queen character, now I do NG+ with Corvo and high chaos and some of the achievements not possible with the non-lethal, ghost approach.
Yeah, that's a great way to spend time until more info finally rolls out, for sure. There's been so many great games this gen that one simply does not have enough time to play them all and yet here we are complaining and overly anxious about next gen

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't understand why the lack of next gen news bothers some here. You can always bide time by going through your backlog. Does it suddenly invalidate or take away from all the great games that have come out this gen and have yet to release just because next gen consoles are imminent? I'm currently going through Yakuza 0 and having a blast and I can't wait to play Resident Evil 3 in less than a month

I'm playing Yakuza 0. and I cant wait for animal crossing, doom and resi 3 but I dont play games all day and I like to break off and catch up on gaming news. I know exactly what games I'll be playing this year and as we are in the 7th year I'm excited to get news on what next gen will look like. Microsoft got the ball rolling on that in december and sony, outside of a logo have been radio silent.

Sony dont owe me shit, and you could say I'm being selfish, but in a world where phone info leaks...design...rumblings that create excitement I'm just frustrated at Sonys approach thats all. That's fine too, I can take it I'm a grown ass man....I'm just hungry for some tech news it excites me. If sony is taking this approach hopefully ms step up to the opportunity more.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
By all means, discuss the possibilities, potential strengths and weaknesses of both next gen consoles if you must. It's the whining about Sony's silence I don't understand. Almost as if some people's life depended on it
I think a lot of people had banked next gen information being of a similar cadence and style to the last gens. Humans are very much habitual creatures. With Sony focussing on ending the PS4 cycle I could see them starting their media cycle in July after ghosts has run its media cycle. That's disappointing for people who were banking on the PS4 cycle of feb release event and blowout e3 conference (which they have already pulled out of)
Personally I'm not bothered by it, information comes when it does. But I understand how having their expectations subverted could frustrate some people

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

US10062206B2 - Parallel micropolygon rasterizers - Google Patents

A parallel adaptable graphics rasterization system in which a primitive assembler includes a router to selectively route a primitive to a first rasterizer or one of a plurality of second rasterizers. The second rasterizers concurrently operate on different primitives and the primitive is...

And maybe this patent too for more efficient rasterizing of small triangles

Graphics processing systems generate images of scenes that are represented by models that can be created and manipulated by the processing system. Objects in a 3-D model of a scene are typically represented by sets of patches (such as Bezier patches) that are high order surfaces defined by a set of control points. The patches are processed by a graphics pipeline to produce images for display on the screen. A conventional graphics pipeline for processing 3-D graphics is divided into a portion that handles geometry workloads and a portion that handles pixel workloads. The portion that handles the geometry workload is referred to as operating in object space and the portion that handles the pixel workloads is referred to as operating in image space. The geometry portion of the graphics pipeline includes a geometry front-end that processes higher-order primitives (e.g., the patches), a tessellator that receives the higher-order primitives and generates lower-order primitives from the input higher-order primitives, and a geometry back-end including a rasterizer that processes the lower-order primitives and converts them to pixels in image space. The lower-order primitives include polygons such as quadrilaterals, triangles, lines, points, and the like that are formed of interconnected vertices. The lower-order primitives are interconnected to form a mesh that represents various objects in the scene.

Last edited:

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Yakuza 0. and I cant wait for animal crossing, doom and resi 3 but I dont play games all day and I like to break off and catch up on gaming news. I know exactly what games I'll be playing this year and as we are in the 7th year I'm excited to get news on what next gen will look like. Microsoft got the ball rolling on that in december and sony, outside of a logo have been radio silent.

Sony dont owe me shit, and you could say I'm being selfish, but in a world where phone info leaks...design...rumblings that create excitement I'm just frustrated at Sonys approach thats all. That's fine too, I can take it I'm a grown ass man....I'm just hungry for some tech news it excites me. If sony is taking this approach hopefully ms step up to the opportunity more.
Just to clarify, being frustrated at Sony's silence is perfectly fine and understandable as long as you act like an adult. What I can't fathom is whining like a kid and acting as if Sony is fucking up big time by staying silent. We're still too far out to be making such judgements but as usual, some love jumping the gun

I think a lot of people had banked next gen information being of a similar cadence and style to the last gens. Humans are very much habitual creatures. With Sony focussing on ending the PS4 cycle I could see them starting their media cycle in July after ghosts has run its media cycle. That's disappointing for people who were banking on the PS4 cycle of feb release event and blowout e3 conference (which they have already pulled out of)
Personally I'm not bothered by it, information comes when it does. But I understand how having their expectations subverted could frustrate some people
I think expecting the reveal timelines to match up exactly like last time is just silly. For one thing, Sony is in a different position coming out of perhaps their strongest generation yet. For better or worse, they earned the leeway to experiment with their reveal plans

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the 4chan rumor from last week is still making the rounds across to other sites.

• 13.3TF Custom RDNA 2 GPU @ 1.7GHZ with 60 Compute Units
  • AMD Zen2 8 core @ 3.4 GHZ (Sony is working on boosting to 3.7GHZ)
  • RAM 16GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4
  • [email protected]/S @ 1TB
  • Dedicated RT and 3D Audio cores
  • 565GB Bandwidth
  • Full digital backward compatibility with every PlayStation console and handheld for a library of 1000's of games on day 1
  • Enhanced Dual Shock 5 with haptic triggers, heartbeat monitors and built-in microphone
  • PlayStation AI assistant that allows you to change games create parties and more with voice commands

bgr.com

PS5 specs might've finally just leaked

Sony’s PlayStation 5 still lacks a full specs sheet, as the company is yet to announce specific details about the console’s hardware. The PS5 is …

Damn this sounds great

Adum

May 30, 2019
I would but bets are haram :(
Brother

Nintendo Switch says hi. And current gen games have been ported down to the Switch.
It's amazing that games like Witcher and DOOM look and run so well on the Switch - but visually speaking they're noticeably behind their console counterparts. I hope that's not true for the Lock/Ana comparisons because I don't think that'd be very good for MS's marketing.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The PS3 outsold the 360 launch aligned, yet had almost no exclusives worth playing in its first year (Resistance 1? Folklore?) until Uncharted 1 shipped in late 2007. Meanwhile in the same period, the 360 had genre-defining games like Mass Effect, Gears of War, Oblivion, and Halo 3. If exclusives are meaningful, shouldn't the 360 have killed the PS3 when compared year-to-year?

The Xbox was killing the PS3 then, in North America. It wasn't until 2009 or so that Sony started to really turn things around...partly on the strength of their marketing, partly on reaching price parity, but also partly on the strength of their exclusives. Uncharted grew and grew as the generation went on; Halo didn't. The Xbox 360 peaked early, as far as core-focused exclusives go (later Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls games weren't exclusive), whereas it took PS3 until 2010 to get a God of War and a Gran Turismo.

The PS3 is one of the most dramatic examples of a company successfully turning around a product's potential, and a big part of that was investing in exclusives. It was a very different strategy than, say, Microsoft dialing back XBO investment and riding out the generation with basically one big Q4 game a year, hoping to turn things around with the next system.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of a disappointing answer. Star Citizen is literally the only game I can think of that isn't designed for 7yo hardware, and hearing "well", "very well", and "not 100% perfect" doesn't tell me much of anything. And I'm pretty sure Expy was talking about main memory and they specifically said CPU speeds, which are other rumoured Lockhart cuts.

I still don't buy that a developer can build a game 100% for the 12TF XSX in mind and have it run on a 3x weaker GPU, with reduced memory and CPU speeds on top of that, by only lowering the resolution. I'd dying for someone to prove this could actually work.

Why do you think target hardware changes the math of a resolution downgrade? Regardless of a game being old gen or next gen, if it costs 12TFs to render a 4K image and then you cut the resolution down to 1080p, you're cutting the cost of rendering down to 4TFs. And if you reduce the assets as well, you'll be reducing the CPU and memory needed to display the 1080p version of that image.

You can already see this with Star Citizen: the recommended specs for SC require a 4TF GPU... because they are targeting the 1080p to 1440p resolutions most PC users play at... just like Lockhart

GeForce GTX 1060 (4.4TFs) can run Star Citizen at 1080p/60+ fps using the High graphics setting. If you want to run Star Citizen at 4K with those same settings the RTX 2080 ti (13.2TFs) has got you covered.

Notice the 3X difference? It's no coincidence. This relationship is exactly why the rumored specs are what they are - because they match the cost savings of dropping resolution from 4k to 1080p.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'll be happy with simply a PS4 BC on PS5. No need for PS3, ps2 and ps1. Let's be honest here, how many people will really go back that far to play games on those ancient consoles

I'd love to replay some of my PS2 favorites, like Silent Hill 2+3, Shadow of Memories and SSX, but not so much the PS1 ones. PS3 games are pretty much a moot point for me, since most of them have been remastered, aside from Siren: Blood Curse, Resistance 1+3, and Killzone 2.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

US10062206B2 - Parallel micropolygon rasterizers - Google Patents

A parallel adaptable graphics rasterization system in which a primitive assembler includes a router to selectively route a primitive to a first rasterizer or one of a plurality of second rasterizers. The second rasterizers concurrently operate on different primitives and the primitive is...

And maybe this patent too for more efficient rasterizing of small triangles
That reads a lot like the hardware tessellator they already use. When is this patent from?

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I think PS1 and PS2 back compat is going to be the game changer. PS3 would be great but it's still new enough for people to still own their consoles and for Sony to maybe work on it throughout PS5 gen.

However, if they had a basically full compat for PS1 and PS2 that is already an insane library of retro. Particularly PS2. I think that even though people want it the majority will still spend most time with their current gen titles. It's just liberating to know that you can collect or dig out those old titles and have a go at them whenever. Not to mention playing couch multiplayer games etc will just really put Sony over the edge. I will be very happy with 1 and 2 and then work being put into 3 as MS has done but ignoring certain titles for the initial stages. Badly received ones, sports titles that have since improved etc. It's good to also be able to gauge what people liked in the past. Crash trilogy has reignited interest in that brand for example and it wasn't a huge effort for Activision to pull off. So I think by giving old titles a new platform we may see interesting things happen with retro IPs.

On the topic of them being quiet, it kinda sucks to not have news but we all know it's coming and let's rather just be stoked that a new console gen is on the horizon. The when isn't as important as the what.

I've never been disappointed with a product from Sony and MS is doing better as well - the competition is great for the industry and I hope the spirit is held up by both parties and they push each other hard.

While I want to see the tech specs of the console, Sony as a brand are always trying to outperform and innovate. It's not a brand that follows status quo - you can be sure this console will be no different and even if it's not in TF count it's going to be an impressive piece of tech worth the money. I'm no insider, just stating this as their history speaks for itself.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That reads a lot like the hardware tessellator they already use. When is this patent from?

Filed from 2016 and it is not like the current rasterizer. It is about using a rasterizer able to rasterize multiples sizes of polygons per pixel efficiently. the title of the patent is "parallel micro polygon rasterizer" and in current rasterizer, this is not efficient to rasterize small triangles. It can help for example with geometric vegetation or hair or be able to tessellate silhouette of most object or character without it costing too much performance for example.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
It is doable. ZhugEx said the BOM on XSX was around $470 maybe a bit more and the PS5 is close in cost. This is a situation where the cost of a console will absolutely be a better value than a PC of similar power early in the generation.

Current gen is the only one at launch where this was not the case i think. I seem to recall the PS1, PS2 and x360 were quite powerful in comparison to PCs at launch (maybe not more powerful but much closer the PS4/X1).

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Looks like the 4chan rumor from last week is still making the rounds across to other sites.

• 565GB Bandwidth
  • Full digital backward compatibility with every PlayStation console and handheld for a library of 1000's of games on day 1
  • Enhanced Dual Shock 5 with haptic triggers, heartbeat monitors and built-in microphone
  • PlayStation AI assistant that allows you to change games create parties and more with voice commands

bgr.com

Sony’s PlayStation 5 still lacks a full specs sheet, as the company is yet to announce specific details about the console’s hardware. The PS5 is …
Looks like seriously wishful thinking.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just to clarify, being frustrated at Sony's silence is perfectly fine and understandable as long as you act like an adult. What I can't fathom is whining like a kid and acting as if Sony is fucking up big time by staying silent. We're still too far out to be making such judgements but as usual, some love jumping the gun

I think expecting the reveal timelines to match up exactly like last time is just silly. For one thing, Sony is in a different position coming out of perhaps their strongest generation yet. For better or worse, they earned the leeway to experiment with their reveal plans

Totally agree, you would have to be insane to think that sony is going to make some colossus mistake and not deliver incredible games. They may be weaker (not proven yet) but that doesn't matter when it comes down to the games. I just hope amazing games do not get overlooked due to some miniscule resolution difference etc.

I felt bad for games like Sunset Overdrive back then too. just because of 900p debacle. When the conversation revolves around some graphical deficiency, I feel for all the hardwork the devs etc must have put in for some childish attack on the internet to become the main topic of conversation.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It is doable. ZhugEx said the BOM on XSX was around $470 maybe a bit more and the PS5 is close in cost. This is a situation where the cost of a console will absolutely be a better value than a PC of similar power early in the generation.
While I imagine this might be the case like it was when the xbox 360 launched, I do not think it will be as stark as back then. We have a year of releases on PC of new CPUs and GPUs till the xsx and ps5 launmch, with Nvidias Ampere going to be a big disruptor if it is as performant as it is expected to be. We also do not have any idea of the RT performance on RDNA 2.0 yet, and where it lines up with NVs offering. What happens if the rasterisation performance of their best card is like a 2080Ti or more I would hope but the RT performance is much lower? There is also the fact that on PC you will probably have more dedicated RAM in total for each component vs. these new machines from Sony and MS. Or the fact that the CPU, while light years better than the Jag, will probably be well equivalated with the mid six core ryzens (2XXX or 3XXX) or the earliest 8 core ryzen.

I think it is a bit premature to say how cost efficient these consoles will be visavis pc at launch since there is not enough info there about performance (Sony has said nothing, for example) of the consoles and because the PC market for HW, is as always, changing.
Later in the future :) Kein Druck, Alex!

ich bin diese Woche sowas von entspannt

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh God, its 10th of March already... I wonder what is less likely, surprise PS5 reveal today or Transistor overlooking my name in the list tomorrow...

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Lol that 4chan guy actually thinks we're getting microphones in our controllers.
What next, the ability to change font size universally in UI?
The microphone mention might be one of the select few truths of the 4chan post lol

segmentnext.com

New Sony Patent Shows DualShock 5 Taking Voice Commands

Sony Interactive Entertainment has been granted a new patent earlier today that suggests DualShock 5 to be able to take voice commands through a built-in

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
A microphone in every controller? Sure. "Hey Playstation" could be a thing (edit: ON THE CONTROLLER, just to make it obvious...).

A heartbeat sensor, though? Building one of those into every controller seems like a lot of cost for very little benefit outside of some gimmicky uses.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
A microphone in every controller? Sure. "Hey Playstation" could be a thing.

A heartbeat sensor, though? Building one of those into every controller seems like a lot of cost for very little benefit outside of some gimmicky uses.
It's already a thing. PS4 already supports some voice commands.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
A microphone in every controller? Sure. "Hey Playstation" could be a thing.

There's a patent for that too. Mind you, this and the microphone are just parts of revealed patents--this doesn't confirm they will be actual features in the Ds5. But those pieces of the 4chan post are most likely based on already known information via these patents.
respawnfirst.com

Dualshock 5 Will Modify User Experience Based on Biofeedback

Sony Interactive Entertainment's new patent mentions Dualshock 5's tracking of biofeedback such as heart rate and sweat secretion.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's amazing that games like Witcher and DOOM look and run so well on the Switch - but visually speaking they're noticeably behind their console counterparts. I hope that's not true for the Lock/Ana comparisons because I don't think that'd be very good for MS's marketing.

If Lockhart exists, I'd imagine it would be closer in power to the Series X than the Switch is to the Xbox One.

And no, I don't believe it'll show up with a 4TF GPU.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's already a thing. PS4 already supports some voice commands.

I meant through the controller.

There's a patent for that too. Mind you, this and the microphone are just parts of revealed patents--this doesn't confirm they will be actual features in the Ds5. But those parts of the 4chan post are most likely based on already known information via these patents.
respawnfirst.com

Dualshock 5 Will Modify User Experience Based on Biofeedback

Sony Interactive Entertainment's new patent mentions Dualshock 5's tracking of biofeedback such as heart rate and sweat secretion.

I know there are patents. Companies have patented this sort of bio-sensing stuff for years. They haven't made it into shipping products because nobody can think of a use case that would be compelling enough to make it worth building the stuff into every controller.

That 4chan post seems very "everything they've patented will be in the PS5!" which is not how it ever ends up.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018

• 565GB Bandwidth

bgr.com

And I bet it's $299!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I already clarified that I meant through the controller? And then you responded to say that you could do it through a headset? Which, like, I knew? This whole conversation is in the context of a rumor that they are adding features like a microphone to the controller?

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
developer.microsoft.com

Save the dates: Game Stack Live schedule!

Join us March 17-18 on Mixer where we'll be livestreaming content we planned to share at Game Developers Conference

Game Stack Live Schedule
Day 1 - March 17, 2020

10:00 Welcome to Game Stack Live!
10:25 How The Coalition built Gears 5 to be more accessible
10:45 Building accessibility into your game - the Xbox Accessibility Guidelines
11:00 Panel: The changing nature of today's game industry
11:35 Panel: How to be intentionally inclusive in your game design
12:15 What is Microsoft Game Stack?
12:30 The Importance of LiveOps
1:00 Rare: Building Sea of Thieves with a LiveOps Mentality
1:35 What it means to run a game studio – a conversation with Turn 10
2:00 Maximizing impact and reach for your independent games with the ID@Xbox team

Day 2 - March 18, 2020

10:00 Previously on Game Stack Live 10:15 How inXile used creative iteration to drive Wasteland's development
10:40 Panel: How online services are defining the next generation of game development
11:40 Xbox Series X + Project xCloud = New Chapter in Gaming
12:40
The spark of creativity that drives Double Fine
1:20 What's new in DirectX: Raytracing, mesh shading, and more

At least, we will probably have some news next week from Microsoft.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
What if the only reason sony havent revealed ps5 yet is that they're not ready for preorders yet? Maybe they cant forecast properly due to corona

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
What if the only reason sony havent revealed ps5 yet is that they're not ready for preorders yet? Maybe they cant forecast properly due to corona
A reveal doesn't mean they have to open up preorders. MS revealed the series x, but didn't open up for preorders either.

only reason why Sony remain silent is because they don't have to show off anything. They are in a comfortable position with PS4 still selling well and big AAA games on the horizon.

PS5 is still around 9 months away. Even if the reveal happens around June- August time with preorders going live the same time, it's more than enough to generate hype and orders for launch.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Heck, they almost certainly won't even announce pricing or a release date at the initial reveal, much less start taking orders.

Chaostar

Oct 27, 2017
MS out here shadow boxing and flexing while Sony takes their time to stroll to the ring when they're ready.

MV5BOGNmOGRiY2UtZWE1OC00YWM4LTg1OWYtNWMxMmU1OTQ5ZDMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwNDM3OA@@._V1_.jpg

The great console war hype 😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.