• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone explain Texel density to me like I'm 5 please

In practice it means the exact same thing as what lay-people have been calling "texture resolution" all this time -- "how pixelated or blurry do the textures look?"

Detailed explanation:
"Texel" means texture pixel. When people say "Texel Density" they are referring to how many texture pixels per unit of the surface the pixels are on.

So like, a 4096x4096 texture is big, and if it was displayed full size on your 4k screen it'd be bigger than the whole screen -- but if it's stretched out along a 1 mile square terrain, it starts to look extremely blurry. That's "low texel density". Just the same, a 128x128 pixel texture is very small (I think quake 3 characters used this size, or bigger) -- but if one is used to texture a cigarette butt on the ground, it would have dozens of texture pixels per each pixel rendering on the screen. That's high texel density.

Artists and programmers have been saying this forever (at least 15 years), console manufacturers just now picked it up as a marketing term.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
It was the same with Phils "do the math" and "next-gen RDNA". Many doubted the 12tf and many more doubted that next gen RDNA could possible mean RDNA 2.0.

I think we'll get a 54 CU for the PS5 but not at 2 GHz. With the XSX tower I can't see a higher clocked PS5 with a faster SSD and maybe a bit slower CPU in a more sleek design.

BELIEVE

54 [email protected] GHz 14 TFlops
Power VR ray tracing
HBM2E 16GB@820GB/s + DDR4 [email protected]/s
SSD 5.5 GB/s x 3 times compression

THIS WILL BE ACHIEVABLE with RDNA2 and V-shaped case.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Shits been around since Nintendo/Sega in one way or another. Probably before that in C64/Spectrum with colors displayed and sound capability. We just didn't have "internet" meeting grounds to argue back then.

So what if you've got a 7% faster CPU for slightly smoother 3D graphics. You can't even do hardware scrolling.. We've got a Blitter chip as our secret sauce and our chips have funny names.

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
Please bare with me if this is not what you're implying, but are you saying Sony created a customer raytracing hardware to throw it away and go with RDNA2 at a later date, and not just use a custom API for their solution?

Or are you saying PS5 isnt using RDNA 2 AMD raytracing and something completely custom from the hardware level up?

Sorry if I wasn't clear (i'm not native english speaker).
I'm only talking about the API.

- DXR API is a tech from Microsoff
Does Sony need to paid for it?
Even Nvidia use this technologie (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-gtx-ray-tracing-coming-soon/) and it can be easier for all devs to have the same one everywhere (for us too, as gamers).

- Or Sony can still use their own RT API
Or something based on Vukan API (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omGfxRlQsg this one looks a bit better than DXR)

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How bad was it back then in the old sites? People freaking out about the specs harder than us?
Tim Sweeney was quoted as saying 2.5 teraflops was needed to run the Samaritan demo, so "2.5 teraflops" was latched on to as "the number" needed to truly get a next-gen experience.

The announcement of consoles having 1.8 teraflops, and especially 1.3 teraflops went over about as well as you can imagine.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Even Nvidia use this technologie (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-gtx-ray-tracing-coming-soon/) and it can be easier for all devs to have the same one everywhere (for us too, as gamers).

Or something based on Vukan API (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omGfxRlQsg this one looks a bit better than DXR)
Nvidia and AMD use DX because they're primarily put into windows boxes. Qualcomm and ARM pay to license it because they want windows devices on their hardware. Sony doesn't pay for it because they'll just make their own API based on opensourced API (like Vulkan and OpenGL)

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Power VR ray tracing

We don't know about HBM2E. It is likely that the contract price is close to 16 GB GDDR6.

Total BOM under $500.
I don't think that's happening. PS5 will be +/- 1 TF. Aka 11 to 13 TF.

PowerVR ray tracing also sounds like it needs to be cut.

Biggest difference here should be SSD

Alienware

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Italy
It's kind of amazing how low-end this generation started off spec-wise, and how drastically things have shifted going into next-gen.

Zen2/RDNA2/SSD/Ray-tracing, so many technologies coming together for these next-gen consoles all at once, we're basically in wishlist territory.

And if we didn't had the weird never-seen-before mid gen update, the jump in power and features between the two generations would have been stupidly mindboggling.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Power VR ray tracing

We don't know about HBM2E. It is likely that the contract price is close to 16 GB GDDR6.

Total BOM under $500.

Nah.

First, if you have a 54CU chip on RDNA 2 as I assume you are assuming, then you don't need PowerVR. The additional CUs are there to support RT. Separate PowerVR only makes sense if you are using less CUs on the GPU and offloading the RT.

Second, this GPU is unrealistic. Would burn a hole in the floor with that many CUs and speed. You don't go wide and fast.

Third, 14TF plus RT separate is way beyond a console form factor.

Fourth, HBM2E is possible but unlikely. If you are betting on all the other parts you wouldn't also bet on HBM2E.

This entire console (if possible) would run for a BOM of like $750. Its a dream that would ruin Sony just like the PS3 almost did.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insider says XBOX Series X more powerful: Sony fanboys working overtime to discredit and debunk

Insider says PS5 more powerful: XBOX fanboys working overtime to discredit and debunk.

It's so obvious guys.... So painfully obvious.

Do better
Since this seems to be allowed, I will bite.

I would love to see which insider said XBox Series X is more powerful and got harassed. IIRC, Matt said he thought Xbox was going to be more powerful and no one said a single word. More recently odium and another insider who i wont name both said Xbox had more tflops and no one worked to discredit them.

As for hmgqq, everyone's mostly been saying that things change, not that hes completely unreliable. And I agree, hes just passing information and his information is likely outdated. whats interesting is that hmgqq was not discredited for saying xbox was more powerful.

i will say that the anti github folks like myself are a bit sick of the github theories, but that doesnt mean we are going after insiders either. we discuss them with other forum members to discredit the github leaks, but its never against insiders like you made it out to be.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I would be extremely surprised if the PS5 was built around HBM, even if they could get HBM2E down to "close to the price" of GDDR.

A major ethos of Cerny-era PS hardware is avoiding exotic or esoteric technologies in favor of common technologies that are made by a multitude of vendors that have a clear path toward reducing in price. HBM just hasn't had that scale yet.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
thats me, just an entitled consumer, how dare i want more information on the thing im going to give you money for when your competitor has already shown more. Shame on me, im gonna give myself 3 lashings, then im gonna sit in the corner and be ashamed of my actions. Then finally, once ive reached the level of consumer enlightenment that you have, considering the feelings of these poor million dollar brands, i will make sure that anyone else who voices frustration on resetera over the lack of info is made to feel just as ashamed. Thank you so much.

While the frustration you and others experience right now is somewhat understandable, it's still coming from a place of entitlement and it's okay to acknowledge that. It's always fun to be informed and it's a good thing to seek knowledge about the things you wanna spend your money on, but Sony not saying anything right now literally doesn't matter. Them being quite right now cannot influence your purchasing decision because there's no way to make an actual decision at this moment in time. You talk about wanting to give them money when you don't even know the launch line-up. You can't buy or even pre-order the PS5 or Xbox Series X yet. So, what's the rush?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yes, I think sony will have custom API, but I don't think they had RT hardware in July last year.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
honestly I think education is more of a threat at the moment

Speaking of education, I'd love some knowledge. Hey Dictator , have you given any thoughts to my suggestion?

Do me a favour.

Take Star Citizen and do some benchmarks, maybe using the same setup you have now to do those incredible tech videos on the game. Now, replace the GPU with one that's 3x weaker (TF-wise) and only lower the resolution. Tell us what happens.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BELIEVE

Power VR ray tracing

THIS WILL BE ACHIEVABLE with RDNA2 and V-shaped case.
I know Imagination has had RT hardware for a long while but that was when they still got money from Apple. What makes people think their stuff is as performant as AMD's solution, which would be based around making DXR work?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Speaking of education, I'd love some knowledge. Hey Dictator , have you given any thoughts to my suggestion?
I can save myself the time and just speak rationally about it without testing. Like almost any game on PC, it scales its performance based on resolution well. Not 100% perfect, but very well.
They would need to also reduce the memory
that is how GPUs are sold on PC anyway. Pretty rare to see an ultra low end GPU with the same GPU memory as one with 3x its shading power.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): Platform wars
It's my first post. Here's my prediction:

If Sony prices the PS5 next or above XSX, MS can win with both SKUs (supposing XSS will be a thing) while Sony isolates itself. While I don't believe Sony could have another SKU, it's possible they heard from Lockhart a very long time ago and that may be why they need to know XSX price before PS5 price reveal.

I hate to break it to you, but the only way MS can "win" is if their exclusive titles can get to the level of Sony's first party. Even PS3 "won" when releasing later and way more expensive. And are you forgetting BC with PS4 and PS4 being one of the most succesful consoles in history? In fact, it's the second best selling home console of all time, behind the PS2. Sony has a HUGE advantage going into next gen. PS4 people immediately have access to their PS4 library and newcomers immediately have access to an insane library of PS4 exclusives and multiplatform titles. I dare to say this alone will guarantee at least 75 million sold units if Sony's software stays on par with this gen (and I'm being careful with that prediction). Only X360 surpassed that number.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Last gen was pretty wild. I'm just saying "ESRAM" aka Secret Sauce.
Interesting, can't wait to see what the secret sauce is this time around.
Tim Sweeney was quoted as saying 2.5 teraflops was needed to run the Samaritan demo, so "2.5 teraflops" was latched on to as "the number" needed to truly get a next-gen experience.

The announcement of consoles having 1.8 teraflops, and especially 1.3 teraflops went over about as well as you can imagine.

Holy shit that must've been a bloodbath, thanks Sweeney.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Since this seems to be allowed, I will bite.

I would love to see which insider said XBox Series X is more powerful and got harassed. IIRC, Matt said he thought Xbox was going to be more powerful and no one said a single word. More recently odium and another insider who i wont name both said Xbox had more tflops and no one worked to discredit them.

As for hmgqq, everyone's mostly been saying that things change, not that hes completely unreliable. And I agree, hes just passing information and his information is likely outdated. whats interesting is that hmgqq was not discredited for saying xbox was more powerful.

i will say that the anti github folks like myself are a bit sick of the github theories, but that doesnt mean we are going after insiders either. we discuss them with other forum members to discredit the github leaks, but its never against insiders like you made it out to be.

We just had 2 pages of high level posting because hmqgg got something wrong. Not that I think he's got it all right mind you. We will get games soon and I can't wait! Beautiful, amazing games on cartridge fast loading consoles.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I can save myself the time and just speak rationally about it without testing. Like almost any game on PC, it scales its performance based on resolution well. Not 100% perfect, but very well.

that is how GPUs are sold on PC anyway. Pretty rare to see an ultra low end GPU with the same GPU memory as one with 3x its shading power.
That's kind of a disappointing answer. Star Citizen is literally the only game I can think of that isn't designed for 7yo hardware, and hearing "well", "very well", and "not 100% perfect" doesn't tell me much of anything. And I'm pretty sure Expy was talking about main memory and they specifically said CPU speeds, which are other rumoured Lockhart cuts.

I still don't buy that a developer can build a game 100% for the 12TF XSX in mind and have it run on a 3x weaker GPU, with reduced memory and CPU speeds on top of that, by only lowering the resolution. I'd dying for someone to prove this could actually work.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We just had 2 pages of high level posting because hmqgg got something wrong. Not that I think he's got it all right mind you. We will get games soon and I can't wait! Beautiful, amazing games on cartridge fast loading consoles.

He's been claiming that Lockhart is flat. Whether that is Server Blades, Surface or an actual console is unknown.

Oct 30, 2017
Any hype train that I can jump on this week? March 10th, what about March 12th? Next week? C'mon, I'm addicted to the highs and lows of hype and disappointment. Give me something to cling on to!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
That's kind of a disappointing answer. Star Citizen is literally the only game I can think of that isn't designed for 7yo hardware, and hearing "well", "very well", and "not 100% perfect" doesn't tell me much of anything. And I'm pretty sure Expy was talking about main memory and they specifically said CPU speeds, which are other rumoured Lockhart cuts.

I still don't buy that a developer can build a game 100% for the 12TF XSX in mind and have it run on a 3x weaker GPU, with reduced memory and CPU speeds on top of that, by only lowering the resolution. I'd dying for someone to prove this could actually work.
I cannot just drop all my work to work on something and take away my time to satisfy the curiosity of everyone in this thread. Wait, just a handful of people in this thread.

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
Sony doesn't pay for it because they'll just make their own API based on opensourced API (like Vulkan and OpenGL)

Yes, I think sony will have custom API, but I don't think they had RT hardware in July last year.

If you want/need to developp your own RT API, will you need to test it with your hardware?
Of course, answer is "yes", but "when"/how long do you need to do it if you want to have some games ready and optimized at the release of your new device?
And how long do you need to developp an API like this?

Real questions as it is not my domain (I'm using lot of APIs at work, but only as user, not dev).

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
In practice it means the exact same thing as what lay-people have been calling "texture resolution" all this time -- "how pixelated or blurry do the textures look?"

Detailed explanation:
"Texel" means texture pixel. When people say "Texel Density" they are referring to how many texture pixels per unit of the surface the pixels are on.

So like, a 4096x4096 texture is big, and if it was displayed full size on your 4k screen it'd be bigger than the whole screen -- but if it's stretched out along a 1 mile square terrain, it starts to look extremely blurry. That's "low texel density". Just the same, a 128x128 pixel texture is very small (I think quake 3 characters used this size, or bigger) -- but if one is used to texture a cigarette butt on the ground, it would have dozens of texture pixels per each pixel rendering on the screen. That's high texel density.

Artists and programmers have been saying this forever (at least 15 years), console manufacturers just now picked it up as a marketing term.
That's amazing! I really think next gen is gonna blow our minds and that the leap is gonna be bigger than we once believed

Status
Not open for further replies.