• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I know it sounds pretty selfish but I really hope coronavirus doesnt end up impacting enough people to warrant delaying the next gen console launch. Id rather there be a limited launch with supply constraints than a delay honestly.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go ahead and post it. It's from another site from our own BGs.
If it's against the rules shut it down Transistor

This is his interpretation of what he thinks of Sony's situation

giphy.com

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Discover & share this Animated GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search, share, discover, and create GIFs.
GIF maker has seen the PS5, but will die before Cerny gets the chance to reveal it.

GIF has 560 frames
90,240 pixels (480 x 188)

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
weeks? no. just three days.

he actually replied to me when i pointed out he said bingo to the math, not the CU count.

My post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...r-see-staff-post.159131/page-75#post-27483765
Klee's reply: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/post-27484006

Klee has been nothing but open about everything. he has given us detailed impressions of the game he saw. he has literally quoted the conversations he had with his source regarding double digit tflops. he went into almost dangerous level of detail when recounting his trip to california. he has given us our name, his credentials and has been vetted by with two different ADMINS on this board. Sure they cant verify his info but he has shared that info with them.

no one has been this open about the info and their sources. not even tom warren or jason.
The longer period from last Klee post the less team Klee supporters but thats normal I guess, if he would post something today we will have different narrative

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I understand what you mean, there's some progressive discourse but it always seems to be dragged back into last year by the same individuals again and again. It's been going on for a few OT's now. I just dont feel it's healthy to allow it. There is a fine line between discussion and passive aggressive trolling in this thread. Or this new wave of concern trolling "We're all worried about Sony! Why are they so quiet???"

I look foward to a newly divorced thread.
I feel you. The hostility and circling-back was one of the main reasons I stepped in here in the first place. Things will calm down when Sony announces their stuff.

Until then?

We're watching, so play nice everyone, mmkay?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The longer period from last Klee post the less team Klee supporters but thats normal I guess, if he would post something today we will have different narrative
im with klee till

tumblr_p244xsPQSb1r74nq4o7_500.gifv

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
he said that in a PM and clarified that things are subject to change. it was not meant to be shared. if it was he wouldve said it in the thread.
Reveal date is the easiest to change (not tied to event schedule, financial calendar etc.), and the most likely to change (games aren't ready, policies not defined) because you want to provide a good show with a strong, clear message.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
OK,
9.1TF for RTX 2070 Super @1770MHz
8.9TF for RX 5700XT @1755MHz

9.1TF GPU beats 8.9TF GPU by 15% despite the difference in TF being less than 2%. So again Turing still has an IPC advantage over RDNA1.

And let's repeat again
8.9TF for RX 5700XT @1755MHz
7.4TF for RTX 2070 @1620MHz

7.4TF GPU ties a 8.9TF GPU despite the difference in TF being 20%, So again Turing still has an IPC advantage over RDNA1.
Again with incomplete data? I thought I asked you to pay attention to actual clocks of the GPUs you are claiming are 15% higher.

I guess you can't help yourself but try to skew the results in some way.

You claimed that Turing TF is 15% more efficient than Navi, so why are you not accounting for thermal design and actual clock differences in your tests?

I already stated that in my opinion Nvidia GPU is better due to better thermal design and cards reaching much higher than stated clocks. We all know that AMD tries to inflate their numbers and Nvidia deflate theirs so we must somehow account for that when testing ACTUAL TF performance differences and not theoretical no?

If TU106 was designed for 1410MHz and was overclocked to 1500MHz and loses to RX5700 that is also overclocked to 1500MHz removing all the inconsistencies in advertising what does that tell you?

When you say something along the lines like 5 Nvidia TF perform 15% better than 5 Navi TF means you need to set both cards at that rate and make sure they don't go over or under and then perform the test otherwise you are testing everything else besides what you claimed.

I haven't seen a more accurate test out there testing pure TF performance differences than the one I showed you a screenshot of.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I don't think there's a single insider; solid ones.. possibly fake ones.. who hasn't said the 9.2 TF is bunk.
Reasons I think Github is irrelevant to final PS5 specs:

1 I believe the PS5 is RDNA 2.0.
2. I don't think RDNA 2.0 was ready when they began spinning up the first version of Oberon. And even if it was, I don't think four model revisions, each with it's own model number, is some insignificant change that wouldn't result in an increase to CU's.
3. I agree with anexanhume that if Sony was targeting 8-9 TF's, they did so knowing that MS was targeting 12 TF's, and I don't think that's believable.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but I don't think I am.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This thread is always a ride.

There's a ton of information and speculation on all sides, but the one reason I think PS5 will be double digit TF is simply to match or exceed Stadia. There are tons of ways to make PS5 an incredible and balanced machine at 9TF, but people are going to be non stop about that number if it's under Stadia's.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Again with incomplete data? I thought I asked you to pay attention to actual clocks of the GPUs you are claiming are 15% higher.

I guess you can't help yourself but try to skew the results in some way.

You claimed that Turing TF is 15% more efficient than Navi, so why are you not accounting for thermal design and actual clock differences in your tests?

I already stated that in my opinion Nvidia GPU is better due to better thermal design and cards reaching much higher than stated clocks. We all know that AMD tries to inflate their numbers and Nvidia deflate theirs so we must somehow account for that when testing ACTUAL TF performance differences and not theoretical no?

If TU106 was designed for 1410MHz and was overclocked to 1500MHz and loses to RX5700 that is also overclocked to 1500MHz removing all the inconsistencies in advertising what does that tell you?

When you say something along the lines like 5 Nvidia TF perform 15% better than 5 Navi TF means you need to set both cards at that rate and make sure they don't go over or under and then perform the test otherwise you are testing everything else besides what you claimed.

I haven't seen a more accurate test out there testing pure TF performance differences than the one I showed you a screenshot of.
I think he's just trolling... not worth wasting your time.
Tbh I too expected RDNA to be architecturally inferior than Turing, that's not about RT and machine learning stuff, but rather some architectural improvements on shader execution since Volta. But here they are! What a pleasant surprise.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you mean, there's some progressive discourse but it always seems to be dragged back into last year by the same individuals again and again. It's been going on for a few OT's now. I just dont feel it's healthy to allow it. There is a fine line between discussion and passive aggressive trolling in this thread. Or this new wave of concern trolling "We're all worried about Sony! Why are they so quiet???"

I look foward to a newly divorced thread.
I feel you. The hostility and circling-back was one of the main reasons I stepped in here in the first place. Things will calm down when Sony announces their stuff.

Until then?

We're watching, so play nice everyone, mmkay?
See Ronin, i dont care for this. github, hbm, sony's reveal plans or lack thereof are all valid discussion points and trying to stifle them will have the Streisand effect and then result in mass bannings. who wants that?

now you've got mods involved and are pressuring them to react and start banning people because you view their criticisms of sony's marketing strategy as 'concern trolling'.

you wont be able to keep out the github truthers from the divorced thread either. there is nothing stopping them. i am a sony fan and as we approach e3 which sony has refused to attend, i will be talking about their complete PR silence in that thread. so what then? will you start banning sony fans from that thread?

we are in the end game now. once the specs are revealed, it's all over. the party ends. we all disperse. there is no reason for this thread or this community anymore. we will have to go into the first party threads and i dont know about you, but i'd rather slit my wrists. lets enjoy our final days together without trying to get each other banned over a difference of opinion.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

There's a ton of information and speculation on all sides, but the one reason I think PS5 will be double digit TF is simply to match or exceed Stadia. There are tons of ways to make PS5 an incredible and balanced machine at 9TF, but people are going to be non stop about that number if it's under Stadia's.
But the thing is that alleged ~9 TF Navi class GPU in PS5 is better then 10.7 TF Vega GCN class in Stadia.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely believe XSX and PS5 will be the same console aside form factor and logo. Performance will be so similar for 3rd parties that DF will cry due to lack of controversy in their test.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
See Ronin, i dont care for this. github, hbm, sony's reveal plans or lack thereof are all valid discussion points and trying to stifle them will have the Streisand effect and then result in mass bannings. who wants that?

now you've got mods involved and are pressuring them to react and start banning people because you view their criticisms of sony's marketing strategy as 'concern trolling'.

you wont be able to keep out the github truthers from the divorced thread either. there is nothing stopping them. i am a sony fan and as we approach e3 which sony has refused to attend, i will be talking about their complete PR silence in that thread. so what then? will you start banning sony fans from that thread?

we are in the end game now. once the specs are revealed, it's all over. the party ends. we all disperse. there is no reason for this thread or this community anymore. we will have to go into the first party threads and i dont know about you, but i'd rather slit my wrists. lets enjoy our final days together without trying to get each other banned over a difference of opinion.
I like the way you think. Except the wrist-slitting part. That sounds bad.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
a 7.9 tflops 5700 easily outperforms the vega 56 in stadia. hell it outperforms the 12.6 tflops vega 64.

jason had said they are targeting to beat stadia's NUMBER, not performance.

I love how people keep referring to how he said it has more teraflops (10.7) than Stadia. But then forget that right after he says this:

"Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful. "

If anything, the twice as powerful assumption is aging well.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But the thing is that alleged ~9TF Navi class GPU in PS5 is better then 10.7 Vega GCN class in Stadia.

Yeah, totally, but the number is smaller. Haha. It's ridiculous, but I actually think now that things got boiled down to some dumb number in 4000 pt bold font on a screen, there is a danger that word of mouth just starts spreading that it's "even weaker than Stadia of all things!"

I also just believe the other insiders that Series X and PS5 will be close, too.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Great point

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Like, how many days/months/years would it take to design a console and how close to release can you change the gpu without messing up the plan?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So, you guys are thinking that PS5 will be 14 TFlops going off recent posts? So more powerful than Xbox?
I'm expecting the PS5 to be within the ballpark of the Series X when it comes to TFlops. If there's a difference for or against the PS5 compared to the XSX, I'd imagine that it'll be minor (Ex: 11.6 TF for PS5 vs. 12 TF for XSX). Either way, I'd imagine that the PS5 will be in the double digits.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
amd_irv7kj8.png

If the question form is enabled by default I do not know, nor if it will be available during AMD's Financial Analyst Day 2020 tomorrow March 5, from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM PST. But hopefully participants will be able to ask questions. This is obviously reserved for analysts, but anyone can access the webcast.

t1583442000z4.png

Perhaps with a little luck we could get some new PS5 information during this.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Well, there it is... Straight from the horse's mouth.

That is Mithun Chandrasekhar, lead product manager, speaking in the video.

Some people doubted below article's credibility (myself included). Now it should be pretty clear.
www.techquila.co.in

AMD Ray Tracing Will Arrive "When The Time is Right" - Next-Gen Raytracing Addressed

AMD has said in a recent briefing that raytracing will arrive on their cards "when the time is right". Here's what that means.

EDIT: cc SlipperyFishes, Kreten

what exactly?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

That is Mithun Chandrasekhar, lead product manager, speaking in the video.

Some people doubted below article's credibility (myself included). Now it should be pretty clear.
www.techquila.co.in

AMD Ray Tracing Will Arrive "When The Time is Right" - Next-Gen Raytracing Addressed

AMD has said in a recent briefing that raytracing will arrive on their cards "when the time is right". Here's what that means.

I assume this means that both are for-sure RDNA2 (I'd watch the video if I wasn't in class right now)?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

That is Mithun Chandrasekhar, AMD lead product manager, speaking in the video.

www.techquila.co.in

EDIT: cc SlipperyFishes, Kreten

I think the argument wasn't over whether the PS5 would have ray tracing but whether it would be RDNA 2.0. I believe it is RDNA 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.