• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
weeks? no. just three days.

he actually replied to me when i pointed out he said bingo to the math, not the CU count.

My post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...r-see-staff-post.159131/page-75#post-27483765
Klee's reply: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/post-27484006

Klee has been nothing but open about everything. he has given us detailed impressions of the game he saw. he has literally quoted the conversations he had with his source regarding double digit tflops. he went into almost dangerous level of detail when recounting his trip to california. he has given us our name, his credentials and has been vetted by with two different ADMINS on this board. Sure they cant verify his info but he has shared that info with them.

no one has been this open about the info and their sources. not even tom warren or jason.

None of this indicates his info is accurate, though.
doesn't help that his 'PS5 was originally planned for a 2019 release' claim isn't backed up by any of the other insiders and doesn't seem plausible. Then of course the whole teasing of a Feb 2020 PlayStation meeting That didn't happen.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a response to someone asking what the tf total was for 56cu's at 2Ghz.
lol that used to be my theory after the inital oberon leak in july. simpler times.

but lets see what we can get from a rdna 2.0 7nm+ ps5.

everyone hates the simulating gonzalo graph so here is a table instead.

resultsshjg4.png

Assuming a 35% power efficiency over rdna 1.0, a 40 cu 2.0 ghz gpu would be at 104w. if the CU/power conumption increase is linear, we are looking at a 145w gpu. add 30w for the cpu and you have to cool a 175w apu. thats more than the entire x1x tdp. but if they go with hbm they might come at around 200w for the entire console. 210-215w if gddr6.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
lol that used to be my theory after the inital oberon leak in july. simpler times.

but lets see what we can get from a rdna 2.0 7nm+ ps5.

everyone hates the simulating gonzalo graph so here is a table instead.

resultsshjg4.png

Assuming a 35% power efficiency over rdna 1.0, a 40 cu 2.0 ghz gpu would be at 104w. if the CU/power conumption increase is linear, we are looking at a 145w gpu. add 30w for the cpu and you have to cool a 175w apu. thats more than the entire x1x tdp. but if they go with hbm they might come at around 200w for the entire console. 210-215w if gddr6.
Now that the XSX 12TF number is out there, I think we should concern ourselves less with TDP.

What matters much more is die size and the fact that some parts won't clock beyond a certain point even if you throw more voltage at them. Those are the real limits Sony and Microsoft are working against with respect to scale and cost.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
they cant afford to delay it. The cost will be too high for them.
They have a lot of choices :
  • Delaying it
  • Releasing it at the intended price (so increase the loss per console)
  • Releasing it at a higher price than intended
  • Small number of unit available
  • Not doing a Global launch
  • Two versions with only difference in storage space
I can't say which one is the more costly, if you have insight, please explained.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
None have been wrong regarding what they said about next-gen consoles.

The reveal is something that could change. And as you've been seeing with corona virus a lot of stuff changed in the last few weeks.

Like I said none of them have been wrong. :)

Well no one can be wrong because literally nothing has come from Sony that would prove them wrong.

If I say something that can't be proven that doesn't automatically mean I'm right.

And if the excuse for an insider being wrong is "things change" then that person isn't a good insider. Things can always change, but when actual insiders who have a proven track record of something happening reports something, they're right a majority of the time.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Let's say that the XBSX is 12Tflops with 16GB of RAM total and the PS5 is 9.7Tflops with 16GB of System RAM and a pool of virtual RAM of ~64GB which use is nearly indistinguishable from system RAM. You could argue that the second system is more powerful.
An argument could perhaps be made on the capability, but I don't think in this scenario the PS5 would be considered more powerful. Also, the XSX has already been confirmed to be able to use the SSD as virtual RAM.

In this thread we focus a lot on overall GPU power. It's because, with both Sony and MS being on AMD tech, a higher number should represent higher performance/capability. But, there are many other factors which influence overall capability and it's really hard to determine the impact of those other factors until we can see multiplatform games running on each system.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
All that Klee post proves is he was willing to talk confidently about things he couldn't really have known IMO.
Let's say that the XBSX is 12Tflops with 16GB of RAM total and the PS5 is 9.7Tflops with 16GB of System RAM and a pool of virtual RAM of ~64GB which use is nearly indistinguishable from system RAM. You could argue that the second system is more powerful.
The SSD speed is not going to be "nearly indistinguishable" from RAM though...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
weeks? no. just three days.

he actually replied to me when i pointed out he said bingo to the math, not the CU count.

My post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...r-see-staff-post.159131/page-75#post-27483765
Klee's reply: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/post-27484006

Klee has been nothing but open about everything. he has given us detailed impressions of the game he saw. he has literally quoted the conversations he had with his source regarding double digit tflops. he went into almost dangerous level of detail when recounting his trip to california. he has given us our name, his credentials and has been vetted by with two different ADMINS on this board. Sure they cant verify his info but he has shared that info with them.

no one has been this open about the info and their sources. not even tom warren or jason.

TIL BGs thinks that PS5 is Mark Cerny's Demon Succubi?

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Lets shake this up a little bit more - I just saw FIFA 21 running on next gen consoles, it looks great!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this JIF from? ;)
See user below:

I'm gonna go ahead and post it. It's from another site from our own BGs.
If it's against the rules shut it down Transistor

This is his interpretation of what he thinks of Sony's situation

giphy.com

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Discover & share this Animated GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search, share, discover, and create GIFs.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
nah, they need something now. its getting ridiculous. i would understand if the demos arent ready sure that takes time. completely understandable. but hiding specs is bizarre at this stage when your competition has revealed their specs.

just do a quick wired article. talk about the tflops, ram type, ram bandwidth, cpu clocks, and ssd speeds and capacity. we can see the demos later.
Why would you wanna it to be revealed so eagerly? If things stay this way, Matt, Klee and Jason can stay correct even longer!

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Allot of people keep saying the PS5 has to be more powerful than 10.7 because of the Stadia comment, but wouldn't a 9.2tf RDNA2 PS5 outperform Stadia?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Allot of people keep saying the PS5 has to be more powerful than 10.7 because of the Stadia comment, but wouldn't a 9.2tf RDNA2 PS5 outperform Stadia?
a 7.9 tflops 5700 easily outperforms the vega 56 in stadia. hell it outperforms the 12.6 tflops vega 64.

jason had said they are targeting to beat stadia's NUMBER, not performance.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Welp except even if you improve SSD's access latency by 10 times it's still over 100 times slower than DRAM.
Also if you slap a PS2 with a petabyte of SSD it's not gonna be more powerful than a PS4: you don't need to store more than what you can process in time.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I hope mods become a big thing next gen.

Seeing some of the costumes/character mods for Fighter Z, and Xeno 2 have been a revelation.

Status
Not open for further replies.