• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
DrKeo by the time launch happens, how many devs are still using older DK1 and 2's? As opposed to those using final DK's? And how long dies it generally take for all third parties to start using final dev kits? A year, two after release?
Very few developers get the first version of the kit anyways and the final kit, like the really final one, devs get those only months from launch, like six months. Albert Panelo had a great post about that. That's why launch games are always terrible, developers don't get final hardware until months before launch so the team works in uncertainty until the very last part of development.

This is from Albert:
Historically, for a FULL next-gen launch final Dev Kits aren't usually even out until Summer the year of launch. Although prototype boards get better monthly starting the holiday before.

Which ones and at which roles ?
Jesus Christ, you are a hoot (pun intended).

Depends, I worked at big companies with thousands of employees like Amdocs and Elbit, I worked at medium size startups like Guesty and I've worked in ~10 people startups that built POS as SAAS that I rather not say the company's name. In all of them I was a Software Engineer, at different ranks. There are things that are on a need to know basis that no one tells you, there are things you can't tell other people, etc.. Even with a small 10 person startup (which in it I was #3) there were things I couldn't tell the lower-ranking employees.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
In all of them I was a Software Engineer, different levels of rankings. There are things that are on a need to know basis that no one tells you, there are things you can't tell other people, etc.. Even with a small 10 person startup (which in it I was #3) there were things I couldn't tell the lower-ranking employees.
As Software Engineer, did you work, yourself, on project you didn't knew the target specs ?
I know about NDA, I am under NDA too.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
8 core 16 thread has been known for a while now.

www.tomsguide.com

Xbox Series X review

Meet the pinnacle of Microsoft’s gaming efforts in our Xbox Series X review

sorry but checked the link, I only saw custom AMD Zen 2. Nothing about cores or threads.
yes, the likely scenario is 8/16 but MS has not said anything official yet. I don't even remember if the windows central leak with the 12 Tf said anything about the CPU.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
sorry but checked the link, I only saw custom AMD Zen 2. Nothing about cores or threads.
yes, the likely scenario is 8/16 but MS has not said anything official yet. I don't even remember if the windows central leak with the 12 Tf said anything about the CPU.

Ahh ok, I must be getting mixed up. there was a table when I look showing 8 core Zen 2. I cant see it being anything else either.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Like I keep saying. MS makes money from PlayStation sales given they are supplying their online backend with azure for psnow and ps plus this coming gen. So every console sale next gen MS is making a little something at the very least

This gave me flashback from when people used to go on similarly about Sony/Blueray. Anyway, is this even true? And if so, is that how the deal is structured? For each console sale MS gets a percentage? How do we know Sony didn't just pay a fixed amount for the services?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
What is your definition of "close in power" ?

Not much more than a TF's difference between the two, I believe that the PS5 will be in the range of 11-13TF, possibly a little higher or lower, not enough to make a big difference.

Although, I don't rule out that there could be a greater disparity with the difference being made up via some other fancy tech.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
gotta give a shout out to DrKeo . your posts, the speculation and inferences in them, are the only reason i continue to monitor this thread.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
It is not like that. MS is doing everything right, 100%, XSX is shaping to be incredible on all aspects(software, service and hardware)
I would say MS is doing everything mostly right in the service and hardware category. I still need to hear about price and exclusives that aren't Halo/Gears/Forza, though, before I actually decide to drop money on it. My 1X with GamePass could keep me satisfied for the next 2 years if the price and games are not that exciting.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
I would very much like for some new, specific, information to come out about PS5 from a trusted source. Some of these discussion points are so, so, tired. But, unfortunately, there's really nothing else to talk about.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
yeah, it was a bit more complicated as a deal, it was also a deal about AI and imaging sensors, so both companies did okay out of it.
Agreed. Companies this large tend to have complicated relationships. Microsoft and Sony are both well diversified companies, so they probably pay each other for various reasons. Anyone using Android tends to pay MS for IP reasons, and I'm sure MS has to pay Sony for their AV related IP as well.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
A contract's been signed, that doesn't mean that there is hardware being installed in servers as yet.

There's no contract per se. As far as we publicly know they're still negotiating a deal. That's all the MoU is - an agreement to negotiate as yet unsigned contracts.

In the meantime PS Now patters on with its own infrastructure as before. They could continue to build on that to serve the PS5 launch period, if they want PS5 streaming sooner rather than later.

I thought Sony had moved some stuff outside of playstation to the azure servers already.

Nope. Not that we know of, anyway.

(In terms of 'do they know each others' specs', though, I think this is all immaterial - I'm sure they do, unofficially)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Developer is a very general term, studios have hundreds of employees. Does the engine lead know the Specs 18 months before launch? Sure he does. Does a low-level engineer or a QA guy know? Probably not.

Let's talk about the concept of vagueness. Remember this? A vague comment which spun the whole thread for weeks regarding XSX having 64 CU. I actually don't remember if Klee has clarified this comment or not, maybe someone remembers and can link to the clarification. But saying that to anexanhume is super vague and implying XSX has 64 CU, add to it the "Hi and bye" comment that came right after and it makes matters even worse. So here is a question for you, does the XSX have 64 CU in your opinion?

You have a QA engineer from DICE here, probably a company which had specs for these machines for years considering they are tech leaders and part of EA, that doesn't know the specs of these machines and we are 9 months from release. So yeah, 18 months from release?

If you think one year before release when a few people in a studio have the information, other don't have it. I would say end of 2019 studios receiving spec sheet and having devkits all game engine, rendering developers and artist were knowing the spec. This is not 18 mnths before release. and he said his friend is one lead.

He never said the XSX have 64 CUs, this was not the first time he does it. He just said your maths are ok. He said it another times to someone before this because he find it amusing. Every littleword he said was interpreted someone remembering what he said first time said he just said the maths are ok and he said bingo. He will never give any number linked to CUs or other things particulary when you gave your identity before.

The only things he said clearly is XSX is a bit above 12 Tflops RDNA. And he said target specs of PS5 a bit above XSX.

But we don't need confirmation, people forget why he talk the first time. He talked because people were saying Andrew Reiner(Gameinformer) is a liar and they worked together at EGM and he said people have no idea about how credible Andrew Reiner. From the first day he said what Andrew Reiner told is true.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
There's no contract per se. As far as we publicly know they're still negotiating a deal. That's all the MoU is - an agreement to negotiate as yet unsigned contracts.

In the meantime PS Now patters on with its own infrastructure as before. They could continue to build on that to serve the PS5 launch period, if they want PS5 streaming sooner rather than later.

Nope. Not that we know of, anyway.

(In terms of 'do they know each others' specs', though, I think this is all immaterial - I'm sure they do, unofficially)

Fair enough, my mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
I'm saying we have no idea and trying to reach any sort of conclusion in terms of the PS5s power through MS's way of talking about their own console is completely nonsense.

So here is what I'm getting at. This thread is divided into two camps:
A. You believe Klee and the other insiders. If you do the PS5 is more powerful. No middle ground. It is. The question is then by how much is it more powerful.

B. You don't believe that and you think the github thing is more relevant. I.E 9tf PS5. It seems according to this thread you have to subscribe to one or the other. You can't be 'well we don't really know' because if you are saying that you are also saying Klee is incorrect.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
So lemme get this straight, the most credible guy in our industry comes out and says that they will be so close in power, it wouldn't matter, and some people don't believe him? Make it make sense.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
A. You believe Klee and the other insiders. If you do the PS5 is more powerful. No middle ground. It is. The question is then by how much is it more powerful.

B. You don't believe that and you think the github thing is more relevant. I.E 9tf PS5. It seems according to this thread you have to subscribe to one or the other. You can't be 'well we don't really know' because if you are saying that you are also saying Klee is incorrect.

No you can believe other insider than Klee and Andrew Reiner. For example Matt and jschreier said the console are close in power without saying which one is more powerful. It means target specs were higher on Sony side but it doees not means final version of the console will be more powerful on Sony just that the consoles will be very close at the end. And Klee told too, he said maybe at the end, the Xbox will be more powerful.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's neither A nor B. They announced "early" because they finished dead last the gen before and needed to get aggressive in getting the messaging of their new console out there. Their whole marketing plan was built around this and the timing of their messaging is one of "Let's keep that positive good will some users have for us going into this new gen if we can". Microsoft's current strategy is one of "speak loud, speak often, don't let them forget you."

Sony, on the other hand, are finishing the gen firmly in first place. Their approach is a rather simple one: take your time and get the message right. They have been drip-feeding info, a lot of it actually, and that has been generating buzz within the enthusiast community and those enthusiasts are also hyping other people with their excitement. This allows them to prep the full head-to-toe reveal exactly how they want it to be and when the excitement surrounding their product gets to the level they want it to be at, time to announce.

Two very different (and both perfectly valid) marketing plans at work here with different goals and coming from different starting points.
Thank you for your sane take on this situation!
I've largely stayed out of this thread because it's the same ten people arguing the same things for weeks but I think the Switch completely nerfs the argument that not announcing the PS5 right after Microsoft announced their new console is a mistake. I know the audiences are more similar but it is just humorous how anyone could seriously compare the XB1 reveal to the PS5. I know some of you are desperate for a particular narrative but you should probably wait for the actual announcement before frothing at the mouth.
Me too....well mostly because of the one who reported me and the mod that banned me.... Took all the fun and life out of this thread for me.

Also agree with the rest of your post.
They may not make their decisions based on a single teraflop number. But when something like what happened this gen happens (where even the general press constantly hammered the message that xbone was super weak) it definitely impact people buying decisions.
Don't think it was the weak part but the part of it being weaker, expensive and MS privacy problems.
Didn't Klee himself said he had only a single source? That he met once at e3 and gave him some details and then later he reached again to clarify some information, and apparently ended up receiving a spec sheet.

If that's the case I don't see how any of that is definitive that the only outcome is that he is lying.

I mean it's already not a perfect track record with him doubling down on Lockhart being canceled and the February event. What makes the other data bullet proof that it's impossible to be wrong or outdated unless he lied?
Klee did have a single source... who he met up 2 times in 2019. Also he didn't double down on lockhart being cancelled. When news came out that it still being worked on he was the only one who took"responsibility" for his words. The rest didn't do anything like that.
I know I was there on vacation . Bought 2 burger menus and had to pay 50 Euros for it :D
Lol you went to a expensive restaurant didn't you? :) Some do ask that for burgers in Europe lol......

I paid 35euros for a pasta that tasted like chicken nuggets..... We need to research better places :P
I consider that splitting hairs. MS exclusive means on MS platforms. Cross gen doesn't bother me as much as it does some as I've been playing much better versions of games on the XBOX One X for years now. PC gamers have experienced this with big titles like Control or Metro. Sure lesser PCs can play it, but it's not the same quality.
Lol that is not splitting hairs..... You said launch exclusive... It's not.

Last edited:

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

I agree with this, attempts have been made to rectify the two seemingly contradictions by saying MS really meant power equivalents at lower Tflop counts. MS specifically tore down that theory and confirmed 12Tflops RDNA2. So now we have a situation where the PS5 has to have both a lower BoM and higher or at least similar performance for Klee to be true. Meanwhile the reports of lower BoM for PS5 line up with the lower performance of the github leak and further reinforced by Sony's own statements of waiting for the XSX price before announcing theirs.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
As Software Engineer, did you work, yourself, on project you didn't knew the target specs ?
I know about NDA, I am under NDA too.
I've never worked on desecrate hardware, but I did work on projects with NDAs and I had to work with DLL files that I was not allowed to know their contenet, a black box, which I could use but know nothing about.

In addition, it seems that you are being very specific about software developers which is true, a lot of them do need to know the specs, but developer at a gaming company is a much more general term, every artist and designer are also developers. By now probably most of a given studio knows everything, but last year it probably wasn't the case.
gotta give a shout out to DrKeo . your posts, the speculation and inferences in them, are the only reason i continue to monitor this thread.
❤️
If you think one year before release when a few people in a studio have the information, other don't have it. I would say enf of 2019 studios receiving spec sheet and having devkits all game engine, rendering developers and artist were knowing the spec. This is not 18 mnths before release. and he said his friend is one lead.

He never said the XSX have 64 CUs, this was not the first time he does it. He just said your maths are ok. He said it another times to someone before this because he find it amusing. Every littleword he said was interpreted someone remembering what he said first time said he just said the maths are ok and he said bingo. He will never give any number linked to CUs or other things particulary when you gave your identity before.

The only things he said clearly is XSX is a bit above 12 Tflops RDNA. And he said target specs of PS5 a bit above XSX.

But we don't need confirmation, people forget why he talk the first time. He talked because people were saying Andrew Reiner is a liar and they worked together at EGM and he said people have no idea about how credible Andrew Reiner. He From the first day he said what Andrew Reiner told is true.
I actually don't know what his friend role is, he is a tech lead?

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
No you can believe other insider than Klee and Andrew Reiner. For example Matt and jschreier said the console are close in power without saying which one is more powerful. It means target specs were higher on Sony side but it doees not means final version of the console will be more powerful on Sony just that the consoles will be very close at the end. And Klee told too, he said maybe at the end, the Xbox will be more powerful.

So that is the first time I've heard that. Pretty much the narrative that I have read has been 'All insider's have said the PS5 has the edge and 'Nothing has changed.'

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

I am team C then.
The one that believes both are accurate, but that github didn't tell the complete story basically. It wouldn't even make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.