• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Historically, for consoles anything less than a year is close to release. Manufacturing will begin in just a few months. That's REALLY close.
Again, I repeat my sentiments from before. Do I wish Sony revealed info sooner? Absolutely. But are they fucking up from staying silent? No. Some of you only feel that way now because you're impatient, period. When the full info dump arrives, no one will ever remember that Sony was late in revealing the console

Maybe 8 month is far but they were quite willing to talk about it last year back in April? Makes people wonder why is the silence now?
Imagine if they said absolutely nothing up to this point. This thread will be full of "GCN GPU, Jaguar cores! Sony is doomed! PS5 doesn't even have hardware ray tracing!". Oh, wait, that last bit is still being thrown around by a select few regardless of what anyone says

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 was incredible looking on the Xbox One X for me, so I would definitely do another playthrough of this one with some Xbox Series X fancy "enhancements" that Phil Spencer is likely checking out.

The lod is very aggressive on Xbox. Even on pc it's noticeable. Pushing that way out along with replacing in game models with cutscene models and higher fidelity effects is more than enough to make a notable difference with minimal work.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe sony is waiting till they are able to show games that actually show off the hardware and features of the system. All of us here seem to care a lot about the specs, but specs alone dont make up a great showing for a reveal. Sony wont be at E3 this year, so maybe the reveal will be a much bigger show than the PS4 reveal that only had knack and killzone and a trailer for driveclub.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe sony is waiting till they are able to show games that actually show off the hardware and features of the system. All of us here seem to care a lot about the specs, but specs alone dont make up a great showing for a reveal. Sony wont be at E3 this year, so maybe the reveal will be a much bigger show than the PS4 reveal that only had knack and killzone and a trailer for driveclub.
Is that a well constructed argument and reasonable logic you made? Get out of here, this thread is for avatar bets, delusional ramblings and pipe dreams

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Again, I repeat my sentiments from before. Do I wish Sony revealed info sooner? Absolutely. But are they fucking up from staying silent? No. Some of you only feel that way now because you're impatient, period. When the full info dump arrives, no one will ever remember that Sony was late in revealing the console

Imagine if they said absolutely nothing up to this point. This thread will be full of "GCN GPU, Jaguar cores! Sony is doomed! PS5 doesn't even have hardware ray tracing!". Oh, wait, that last bit is still being thrown around by a select few regardless of what anyone says

I mean people still remember as cite the PS3 launch debacle as well as the Xbox one launch debacle... these kinds of launch impressions last across generations... we have memes about it. It's just not a good look this close to launch because most of the hardcore gamers are aware that Sony has to have much of the information that the consumers actually want to know finalized. They just aren't sharing the details which is the aggravating part. It's one thing if they hadn't finalized things yet but like I said we know if they want to hit a holiday target launch they already have to have this info which is why this is concerning:

Either they aren't ready to launch holiday 2020 or they have the info and don't want to share it

Last edited:

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean people still remember as cite the PS3 launch debacle as well as the Xbox one launch debacle... these kinds of launch impressions last across generations... we have memes about it. It's just not a good look this close to launch because most of the hardcore gamers are aware that Sony has to have much of the information that the consumers actually want to know finalized. They just aren't sharing the details which is the aggravating part. It's one thing if they hadn't finalized things yet but like I said we know if they want to hit a holiday target launch they already have to have this info which is why this is concerning:

If they aren't really to launch holiday 2020 or they have the info and don't want to share it
I stopped reading when you equated the current situation to PS3 and XB1 launch. Perhaps try a better argument point rather than an apples to oranges scenario

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Giant Bombcast 624: Depth and Lightness

sdfadasffaCheck out our website: http://www.giantbomb.com/Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/giantbombdotcomCheck us out on Twitter: https://...
thanks! thats hilarious.

but at the same time kinda shitty. all he had to do was just go in the chat last week and say hey we got nothing. no invites. stop speculating. stop looking forward to that date.

he basically admits to following that chat and just sitting until today to reveal that it was nothing. lame.

i think its crazy that aside from jason, no one has even bothered to ask questions about the ps5. i dont expect these guys to give a shit about specs, but no journo seems to be even remotely interested in the ps5. we have DF but sadly they have shown that they have zero sources within the industry who are willing to talk off the record. they are just as much in the dark as we do.

same goes for jeff and his crew, and i guess everyone not named jason, andrew and klee. hell, if it wasnt for klee we wouldnt have anything really because andrew refused to talk after e3 and jason didnt want his 10.7 post quoted anymore.

you would think that some of these journalists who have been in this industry since the first e3 would have sources willing to talk to them. i guess not.

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
What I do know is that Microsoft seems to be touting their system specs at every turn.

If nothing they are very confident.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
We've had insiders lie on the other side of the fence, too. So no ill-intent. I just call it how I see it.

<3

Oh, I know, I was being genuine. It's valid to personally feel Klee is a liar, I just don't due to things like other insiders matching up with him (and not Github) and the fact that he openly provided his real name and history. That's really the big difference I see here - we can all remember countless occasions of insiders popping up and dropping deets that turned out to be false, but they're usually anonymous and can vanish into the ether after spreading their bullshit. I really can't recall a case of someone being as open and detailed with their leaks and verified personal info as Klee, but who still turned out to be lying.

Yet at the same time, this hostility towards insiders and outright calling them liars before we get the full picture is amazing. We then have posters in here pathetically crying that insiders and journalists don't want to share information. The circle of life, people!

True. This is what frustrates me about this situation. I don't like it when insiders get accused of lying like this, but you really can't believe the Github Oberon is the final PS5 without doing so, even if you don't openly admit it. It's that fundamental incompatibility between two very detailed leaks that really sucks.

P.S. Yes, we've had many fake insiders with wrong info before, but feel free to call them out after the truth is revealed

Agreed. Only problem is that as far as many of the Github believers are concerned, the truth already has been revealed.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Question: If the PS5 is indeed more powerful than an XBox Series X, then why is Sony so quiet?

I can only talk for myself, but if I where Sony than I would search for the highest mountain and I would scream it over the whole world that I've the more powerful hardware if it would be the case because I wouldn't want that my competitor has all the attention of the press and media this close before release.

What do you think about that? Does this not sound logical?

What's logical is that Sony has a plan and they're apparently sticking to it. Some things may have been changed due to the whole Corona virus thing, but we can say they're not being reactionary to their competitors or the loud portion of their fanbase.

Who knows what their plan is at this rate. Maybe they are waiting til their new fiscal year to get this train moving, or maybe they'll drop news just before that to appease investors. There are any number of factors to consider when trying to crack their plan.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True. This is what frustrates me about this situation. I don't like it when insiders get accused of lying like this, but you really can't believe the Github Oberon is the final PS5 without doing so, even if you don't openly admit it. It's that fundamental incompatibility between two very detailed leaks that really sucks.

Agreed. Only problem is that as far as many of the Github believers are concerned, the truth already has been revealed.
Oh, it's pretty obvious why some subscribe to the Github leak despite the lack of any form of proper context. I personally don't put much faith on any of the sources we have so far. I take them as individual components that form a clearer picture. I will say now that I put the most faith in Jason Schreier's statement. The guy is virtually the most reputable journalist in the gaming scene. Believing he would lie to fuel console wars is petty and immature, as if the guy has nothing else better to do with his time. Some "cleverly" circumvent this by saying he was mistaken. Yes, I'm sure the man who dug deep into Anthem's troubled development doesn't double check the information before he speaks

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
What's logical is that Sony has a plan and they're apparently sticking to it. Some things may have been changed due to the whole Corona virus thing, but we can say they're not being reactionary to their competitors or the loud portion of their fanbase.

Who knows what their plan is at this rate. Maybe they are waiting til their new fiscal year to get this train moving, or maybe they'll drop news just before that to appease investors. There are any number of factors to consider when trying to crack their plan.

I think a more interesting question is, Why is Microsoft so willing to be vocal with their specs? There are a number of interesting interpretations, but for me the top two are either a) they are reasonably confident they compare favorably to Sony's offering or b) they don't necessarily compare favorably, but sensed that a leak was imminent and wanted to control the narrative.

The biggest question, however, is this: how in the HELL is "I'm a loner, Dottie" not leading the poll?

Oct 25, 2017
thanks! thats hilarious.

but at the same time kinda shitty. all he had to do was just go in the chat last week and say hey we got nothing. no invites. stop speculating. stop looking forward to that date.

he basically admits to following that chat and just sitting until today to reveal that it was nothing. lame.

i think its crazy that aside from jason, no one has even bothered to ask questions about the ps5. i dont expect these guys to give a shit about specs, but no journo seems to be even remotely interested in the ps5. we have DF but sadly they have shown that they have zero sources within the industry who are willing to talk off the record. they are just as much in the dark as we do.

same goes for jeff and his crew, and i guess everyone not named jason, andrew and klee. hell, if it wasnt for klee we wouldnt have anything really because andrew refused to talk after e3 and jason didnt want his 10.7 post quoted anymore.

you would think that some of these journalists who have been in this industry since the first e3 would have sources willing to talk to them. i guess not.

Yeah no. People online have been insane grasping at literally anything, it didn't warrant a response and if they had said anything it would have just created more insanespeculation.

I don't think anyone at giant bomb would consider themselves journalists and one of GB's original main goals was to spotlight more industry people they 1000% would know several devs who would know specs. I just doubt they care enough to get people they know to break a NDA and then leak that info online.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question: If the PS5 is indeed more powerful than an XBox Series X, then why is Sony so quiet?

I can only talk for myself, but if I where Sony than I would search for the highest mountain and I would scream it over the whole world that I've the more powerful hardware if it would be the case because I wouldn't want that my competitor has all the attention of the press and media this close before release.

What do you think about that? Does this not sound logical?
If PS5 is more powerful, you save that as a HUGE Bomb to drop closer to launch. Would be way more effective. Just think on how MS would be touting 12TF for months to be shown up with little time to do anything.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Oh, it's pretty obvious why some subscribe to the Github leak despite the lack of any form of proper context. I personally don't put much faith on any of the sources we have so far. I take them as individual components that form a clearer picture. I will say now that I put the most faith in Jason Schreier's statement. The guy is virtually the most reputable journalist in the gaming scene. Believing he would lie to fuel console wars is petty and immature, as if the guy has nothing else better to do with his time. Some "cleverly" circumvent this by saying he was mistaken. Yes, I'm sure the man who dug deep into Anthem's troubled development doesn't double check the information before he speaks

I mean, to be fair, it was just something he stated on a podcast and clarified as rumour, as opposed to a full article like the Anthem deep-dive. But yeah, the idea that he just got a bunch of wrong information from a bunch of devs that also happens to line up with the information several other known insiders got which is also wrong in the same way by coincidence, but only wrong about the PS5 and not the XSX... well, it's a stretch.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to be fair, it was just something he stated on a podcast and clarified as rumour, as opposed to a full article like the Anthem deep-dive. But yeah, the idea that he just got a bunch of wrong information from a bunch of devs that also happens to line up with the information several other known insiders got which is also wrong in the same way by coincidence, but only wrong about the PS5 and not the XSX... well, it's a stretch.
As I said, this thread is confirmation bias at its finest

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think a more interesting question is, Why is Microsoft so willing to be vocal with their specs? There are a number of interesting interpretations, but for me the top two are either a) they are reasonably confident they compare favorably to Sony's offering or b) they don't necessarily compare favorably, but sensed that a leak was imminent and wanted to control the narrative.

The biggest question, however, is this: how in the HELL is "I'm a loner, Dottie" not leading the poll?

Or, MS is just marching to the beat of their own drum because they have their own plan.

Some people do adhere to the theory that Sony is being quiet on the PS5 because they've got some monster games on the horizon with FF7:R and TLOU2, so they're giving those games some room to breathe. I don't know if I necessarily subscribe to that line of thinking but it's something to consider at the very least. It isn't going to be the full story, but it might be part of it.

Either way, this isn't the first rodeo for either of these companies, they know what they're doing.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

It's neither A nor B. They announced "early" because they finished dead last the gen before and needed to get aggressive in getting the messaging of their new console out there. Their whole marketing plan was built around this and the timing of their messaging is one of "Let's keep that positive good will some users have for us going into this new gen if we can". Microsoft's current strategy is one of "speak loud, speak often, don't let them forget you."

Sony, on the other hand, are finishing the gen firmly in first place. Their approach is a rather simple one: take your time and get the message right. They have been drip-feeding info, a lot of it actually, and that has been generating buzz within the enthusiast community and those enthusiasts are also hyping other people with their excitement. This allows them to prep the full head-to-toe reveal exactly how they want it to be and when the excitement surrounding their product gets to the level they want it to be at, time to announce.

Two very different (and both perfectly valid) marketing plans at work here with different goals and coming from different starting points.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless we have evidence pointing to it, in which we don't, thinking Sony is quiet because of the lack of confidence in their console is pretty much on the same line as "My crush isn't texting me back, I must have screwed up!"

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Worth noting that Jason's said he'd heard rumors, and has never made definitive statements about the relative power difference Between both consoles.

As recently as January 2020, he's admitted he cannot be certain about the specs of the next gen consoles and he's clearly speculating

"I'm a player who recently switched to a high-end PC, so none of the graphic stuff makes me too excited. I don't know for sure, so don't repeat it, gossipers, but I'm pretty sure that the specs those guys are going to achieve with the PS5 and Anaconda [one of the code names used for the new Xbox - editorial note] are more powerful than GPUs like RTX 2080, things you can get on the market today. I think they're trying to play it safe for the future. I've heard many positive things about the level of power they work with," said Schreier.

bottom line? We still don't know.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Unless we have evidence pointing to it, in which we don't, thinking Sony is quiet because of the lack of confidence in their console is pretty much on the same line as "My crush isn't texting me back, I must have screwed up!"
There's so many variables that could be in play and a lot of them are very mundane. Could be they want to premier it with a game demo that's not quite ready, could be the final box design isn't 100% set and they want it to be shown with the specs. There's so many things it could possibly be and honestly a lot of them are just plain boring answers.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's neither A nor B. They announced "early" because they finished dead last the gen before and needed to get aggressive in getting the messaging of their new console out there. Their whole marketing plan was built around this and the timing of their messaging is one of "Let's keep that positive good will some users have for us going into this new gen if we can". Microsoft's current strategy is one of "speak loud, speak often, don't let them forget you."

Sony, on the other hand, are finishing the gen firmly in first place. Their approach is a rather simple one: take your time and get the message right. They have been drip-feeding info, a lot of it actually, and that has been generating buzz within the enthusiast community and those enthusiasts are also hyping other people with their excitement. This allows them to prep the full head-to-toe reveal exactly how they want it to be and when the excitement surrounding their product gets to the level they want it to be at, time to announce.

Two very different (and both perfectly valid) marketing plans at work here with different goals and coming from different starting points.
Perfectly summed up. We are just thirsty for info but both companies are approaching next gen the way they see fit

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that Jason's said he'd heard rumors, and has never made definitive statements about the relative power difference Between both consoles.

As recently as January 2020, he's admitted he cannot be certain about the specs of the next gen consoles and he's clearly speculating

bottom line? We still don't know.
It was the one about being stronger than RTX 2080 that he was speculating, right? Correct me if I'm wrong but he quite definitively said that both are above Stadia's 10.7TF's in raw figures

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But that's the point. The evidence pointing to that Sony is not confident about their product is their quietness.

And I saw already a few posts on the last 2-3 pages of this thread where people starting to get worried because of Sonys quietness.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
But that's the point. The evidence pointing to that Sony is not confident about their product is their quietness.

And I saw already a few posts on the last 2-3 pages of this thread where people starting to get worried because of Sonys quietness.
I don't know, just coming out and showing your logo at CES seems like a confident move, as in, they're not worried about not rushing out to reveal information outside of their internal timelines just because someone else showed their box.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prove this or you're making a false accusation. Show me anything that conclusively proves Sony is delaying information as long as they can because they have no confidence in their product. And don't try, the comment from Sony's CFO about the silence. That's an internal debate we can't use because we don't know what the variables are. As for people's reactions, that's daily Era to you with abundant overreactions and baseless projections. I couldn't give two shits about Era Member A's overthinking tendencies

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Evidence? You're coming to that conclusion based on your own perception. You are warping this evidence to fit a narrative.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Prove this or you're making a false accusation. Show me anything that conclusively proves Sony is delaying information as long as they can because they have no confidence in their product. And don't try, the comment from Sony's CFO about the silence. That's an internal debate we can't use because we don't know what the variables are. As for people's reactions, that's daily Era to you with abundant overreactions and baseless projections. I couldn't give two shits about Era Member A's overthinking tendencies
Evidence? You're coming to that conclusion based on your own perception. You are warping this evidence to fit a narrative.

All I can say is that people are getting worried about Sony and their confidence in their product because of their quietness.

And that's a fact, if you like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.