• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like the one that said

|OT10| It's the final countdown

forgot who it was but might be accurate as it is probably the last thread for PS and PS5 OT will launch

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Do you know what PS makes the most of there money from?
Game sales from physical and Playstation store, putting Gamepass on PS would eat into that.

You can't say that for certain. They could gain even more control of the console market because most ppl switch to PS since they can use PS5 to play Xbox games as well. That could lead to increased sales. Also, we don't know how MS/Sony get their platform fee in subscription-based services. Either way, you and I can't be certain about the outcome. There is too much missing information.

It is just as risky for MS to do that as it is for Sony. Gamepass benefits from ties to Xbox Live. It wouldn't have that on a Sony system. I think MS would jump to Nintendo before Sony since it is less risky for MS.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
True, but MS needs to differentiate itself from the market leader.

Sure, but the maxim 'evolve to survive / thrive' also applies to those ahead. But honestly, as long as the performance delta isn't very much, I think they could be fine releasing a less powerful system than say the XSX. On the other hand, I think they could release two SKUs like MS is suggesting and compete on that front as well. Options aren't only open to MS. On the other hand, I think it is pretty darn unlikely Sony will go for two models. On the other hand, they could probably compete on power if they tied it with different financing models. Component costs should only take a couple of years to come down. anyway, I think it is up at he air at the moment.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
You can't say that for certain. They could gain even more control of the console market because most ppl switch to PS since they can use PS5 to play Xbox games as well. That could lead to increased sales. Also, we don't know how MS/Sony get their platform fee in subscription-based services. Either way, you and I can't be certain about the outcome. There is too much missing information.

It is just as risky for MS to do that as it is for Sony. Gamepass benefits from ties to Xbox Live. It wouldn't have that on a Sony system. I think MS would jump to Nintendo before Sony since it is less risky for MS.
We can for certain say Gamepass will never be on PS, PS and Xbox share the same games 99% of the times.
MS have no juggernaut games that would draw 40 new million users that otherwise wouldn't buy a PS.

Oct 27, 2017
It would make the PS5 the place to play Xbox and PS5 exclusives. A viable option to a PC. They would strengthen their hardware advantage even more while giving up some control over services.
It would also mean them, taking a loss on hardware and their 30% in game sales so that you could go on to pay MS and not them, a recurring service fee.

that seems very unlikely to me.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I thought the Dualshock 4 was the first controller to have a share button. I can't find or remember anything about a previous one from any other console.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
It would also mean the, taking a loss on hardware and their 30% in game sales so that you could go on to pay MS and not the, a service recurring service fee.

that seems very unlikely to me.

It is all about balance tip it one way and it hurts MS too much. Tip it the other and it hurts Sony too much. I don't think it would happen but there are plenty of scenarios out there where it makes sense for Sony. It depends on Sony's policies around subs and how they want to make money off of them. Subs are a thing already. I doubt Gamepass would be as prominent on PS5 as on Xbox.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The new Playstation would cost less and last you 7+ years.
But what if my plan was to buy a PC anyway? This gen i played with my PC , PS4 and later the Switch.

By publishing PS games on PC i won't have any reasons to buy the next playstation. I would be able to play online games without any sub as well.

In fact i won't pre order PS5 now that is for sure.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
But what if my plan was to buy a PC anyway? This gen i played with my PC , PS4 and later the Switch.

By publishing PS games on PC i won't have any reasons to buy the next playstation. I would be able to play online games without any sub as well.

In fact i won't pre order PS5 now that is for sure.
Why ask the question if you've already made up your mind? 🤷‍♂️

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
onlive is a box you plugged into your TV and came with a wireless controller that you used to play games on it. Sounds like a console. Wasn't a popular one, but it was one
I never used it. I see there's a Brag Clip button. Was there a way to share that outside of OnLive? Obviously Sony was inspired by it and expanded upon it seeing that they bought their patents. There could be a distinct difference there, but if not then I suppose it has been around since OnLive in some form or fashion.

Edit: Looks like you could upload this to Facebook.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Apologies if this was posted already, but a patent was found for the Dualshock 5 being able to use voice commands like Alexa/Siri: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...20013038&tab=FULLTEXT&_cid=P12-K5GLUR-31883-1

PfPge_9ycknAiWBu-A04__7XjPtioYE_wDNecVVX1fqf1Zm_JDvp8qLSIRwkuh-lpqJvasR1MbfPu7-UrLne1qUImy7j3ixNbn8YQqgrmsUa8OLTEy7nRhmQz18gTMBlybOkXuVKENRtAkzlnvav5nMPYLaFc-vJtcN3J076jjk

qxURHt4wgtA-kGUurCKHamQcAASGbI9dT2fywSNUHy5y4nrHjW6RrcWO11p6UXPyWiVGV1rQ8ctCfuCYhtkrOS3lLNWKxWSlUoxxGENx3L241G_M8qvmcfRwyIcw5i32IU44j--E8k8932OrsWiqpyEeI959Y4cbdZMPGWP3D1I

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Let us be real, Sony is what made MS add a share button and not something that doesn't exist anymore.

This reminds that I had to buy the Xbox One controller chatpad from US to be able to have those two additional programmable buttons that I could confer image capture functionality to. As someone who takes myriad pictures, Xbox's approach annoyed the hell out of me and am glad they are going to have a dedicated button. Now, I just hope they improve how they handle buffer -> write process for XseX as well provide more capture options. 4K HDR screenshotting on X is a bit of pet peeve.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It would be awesome if we got something like an aidplay. Where we can let any random player take control(from your uploaded save) for certain sections or challenges of the game. Obviously that play session would be saved on a alternate save file, in which case you can convert it to your main file if you're satisfied with the results.

But that will never happen, and I can see achievements/trophies hunters making a big stinker out of it.
Best i can give ya is about Tree Fiddy
😭
But seriously, do you think they'd at least give us $250? lol

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
😭
But seriously, do you think they'd at least give us $250? lol
250 USD might be possible. It depends where you're from, of course. Here in Germany the X was sold for 299 over the holidays and I just saw a fire sale of old Xbox One X bundles for 227€ today. I can't imagine getting more than 150€ as a trade-in bonus towards a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Playstation copied xbox with ps+, Microsoft copied sony with games with gold, Sony introduced PS now and Microsoft is copying with Xcloud, Microsoft introduced gamepass and Sony copied with game downloading through PS now...both companies are just competing while trying to move the industry forward with good/bad initiatives depending on your point of view. The share button is the latest example of the companies being competitive while offering the end user a better experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.