• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Because their games would have made it to PS5 if they remained independent or under 3rd party publisher.

The only reason someone is happy about Sony/microsoft purchasing studios is because they are fanboys who thinks their "side" became stronger.

let me put it in simpler terms: Exclusives are cancer

Imagine if Sony purchased Fromsoftware after demon souls? Yikes

I'm glad Sony has listened to me ( took them 8 hours, geez) and is releasing Horizon zero dawn to PC. Hopefully other IPs follow suit.

Great news

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
A really wierd move by Sony. Makes me very happy as a PC gamer, but a really weird move. The first Sony first party game to come to PC except for Sony Online MMO games if I'm not mistaken?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sony won't release any if their big exclusive first party titles on PC and no death stranding doesn't count its not a studio owned by Sony, probably Kojima forced them to.

77ac45fcad563fd160f81e2612a4b31c43261e516cf1e85a848ec7ec9249e24e.jpg
Wel

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Huh... not sure if I'd classify this as "good news".

Let me rephrase: this is absolutely good news for PC players who haven't had the opportunity to play this game!

It's not really good news to me though. Maybe, neutral news? I dunno, it seems like a really weird move, unless PS5 BC is going to do more to enhance PS4 games than I thought. Having the best version of your own IP be on a competing platform seems... not super smart?

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
If they bring all their exclusives to PC, besides 3080 ti I will get the cash of my future PS5 for a Ryzen 4900X

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

Let me rephrase: this is absolutely good news for PC players who haven't had the opportunity to play this game!

It's not really good news to me though. Maybe, neutral news? I dunno, it seems like a really weird move, unless PS5 BC is going to do more to enhance PS4 games than I thought. Having the best version of your own IP be on a competing platform seems... not super smart?

Clearly this is huge since it's a proper 1st party release but I guess we can't really learn too much from all of this until we know if future 1st party releases will ever be launched simultaneously. 3 years is quite a long time.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait and see when the core gamer will not buy a PS5 because they think they can buy games on PC a few years later. But we will all be PC gamers soon at this rhythm.

This is a fallacy. Console players are still going to buy consoles. When PS eventually simultaneously releases all of their games on PC it won't change anything.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
They want to cash-in on IPs after the exclusivity allure goes away.
Bad move IMO. The reason I'm buying a PS5 on launch day is in order to play all the exclusives that I've missed. If they start releasing one by one on PC, I would probably never buy a console again. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Selling a PS5 console is more important than selling a copy of Horizon for 15$ on the steam winter sale.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Bad move IMO. The reason I'm buying a PS5 on launch day is in order to play all the exclusives that I've missed. If they start releasing one by one on PC, I would probably never buy a console again. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.
You're a tiny, tiny fraction of the user base. The amount of people who'll delay purchasing a console to maybe, sometime, 3 years in the future experience an exclusive they want is tiny.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

More people get to enjoy this game, its absolutely good news.

I'm sure Sony appreciates you worrying about their financials.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Why are people surprised. Death Stranding uses Decima engine and have done the work porting it to PC anyway.
Because it has nothing to do with the technology. Porting is incredibly simple this gen.
people are shocked because it is an unprecedented move by Sony - they have never done anything like this before.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
You're a tiny, tiny fraction of the user base. The amount of people who'll delay purchasing a console to maybe, sometime, 3 years in the future experience an exclusive they want is tiny.
Maybe, but waiting 2-3 years for a much better PC version is what PC gamers do. We did it for GTAV, we did it for RDR and we are doing it with Death Stranding as we speak. Best version without having to buy a console and Sony's exclusives are mostly single player games so the online community doesn't matter much.

Obviouslyit's not for everyone, but there is a segment, a super hard core segment, that Sony will be missing if they keep doing that.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This is a fallacy. Console players are still going to buy consoles. When PS eventually simultaneously releases all of their games on PC it won't change anything.

The problem are the hardcore gamer are making most of the money. Why buy a console when you know games will arrive later on PC? Without exclusives for core gamer consoles have not big interest. They will lost money from this decision.

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The problem are the hardcore gamer are making most of the money. Why buy a console when you know games will arrive later on PC? Without exclusives for core gamer consoles have not big interest. They will lost money from this decision,

They're literally going to make more money by allowing more people to purchase the game.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Maybe, but waiting 2-3 years for a much better PC version is what PC gamers do. We did it for GTAV, we did it for RDR and we are doing it with Death Stranding as we speak. Best version without having to buy

I agree that that's what PC gamers do. But that's not what mass-consumer market does, which is console target demographic.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
They wanna get a maximum players to taste the goods before announcing the sequel on ps5 as a launch title.

Right ?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Why are people surprised. Death Stranding uses Decima engine and have done the work porting it to PC anyway.

I hate that this is probably the main reason that Sony is actually bringing the game over to PC, since it would not take them much effort and make them a lot of money. Either way, it has me excited for the possibility of future games coming to PC

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
That's a good point. Didn't one Sony exec say he didn't see it until E3 when everyone else did?

Yeah, I can't remember who. Was it not Jim Ryan?

When was ps4 designed revealed? I though it was shown at Feb meeting with reveal. Maybe I forgot. It would suck if they just say specs and no show.

PS4 box was revealed at E3, iirc.

It was apparently a big thing at the time among the media that Sony revealed PS4 in Feb and didn't show the console...

I guess priorities are different for some folks.

Lol it's not 2005 anymore.

Not sure how this is relevant to anything i said?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The problem are the hardcore gamer are making most of the money. Why buy a console when you know games will arrive later on PC? Without exclusives for core gamer consoles have not big interest. They will lost money from this decision,

So, the death of consoles were inside jobs after all :P

Anyway, consoles still comparatively have the lowest cost barrier to entry for the visual and auditory delights. Going to PC with expectation of better (everything) will come at higher price.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't PC Horizon leaked by some Russian source and everybody laughed at it like less than a month ago? I definitely remember something like that.

Edit: Logvinov leaked it Dec 4. Wow.
Edit 2: https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-horizon-zero-dawn-comes-to-pc-on-february-2020.156969/

Yeah I remember this, did he give other rumors (about next gen) that everyone laughed at because we thought Horizon on PC was bullshit, or was that the only one?

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Bad move IMO. The reason I'm buying a PS5 on launch day is in order to play all the exclusives that I've missed. If they start releasing one by one on PC, I would probably never buy a console again. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Selling a PS5 console is more important than selling a copy of Horizon for 15$ on the steam winter sale.

By the time Horizon comes out on PC, it will have been three years since it first released on console. 3 plus years is a tremendously large window...

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
More people get to enjoy this game, its absolutely good news.

I'm sure Sony appreciates you worrying about their financials.
Chill, man. :)

I said it was neutral news to me, not bad. I don't care about Sony's financials, I just find the move puzzling. People really are primed to see fanboys in every shadow, huh?

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019

Agree with this.

Everyone always wants to compare buying a $500 launch console with what you'd get in the form of a graphics card at that price. But the reality is that most people buy their console at $300. Then the response is "well at that point a $300 card is better than the console." Then you ask "well, where do I put that card? I have a laptop like a normal person." Then they respond "well, you'd have to invest another $500 up front for a case, CPU, MB, RAM, SSD, etc. But you don't have to pay for online multiplayer so you'll make it up over the next six years or so. But then from there, you'll be golden!" But of course, then there are hidden fees involved, like how by that time your CPU will likely be underpowered, and you better be damn sure your next CPU is compatible with your old MB, or that's another cost. And you'll have to upgrade RAM (because always), and then there will be new HDD technology...

At the end of the day, buying a $300 console every six years is just way simpler and an overall better deal for a ton of people. The only thing that's going to change it is when we move to streaming, in which case the best thing for everyone will be no dedicated hardware at all.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
By the time Horizon comes out on PC, it will have been three years since it first released on console. 3 plus years is a tremendously large window...
...to actually purchase a console and play on it. Honestly if someone really, really wanted to play this game, they'd probably bought it already.

I can't comprehend who is this release actually aimed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.