• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well the purpose of the article wasn't to point out the pro and cons of going to e3, it was actually to review/point out the change in direction the post andrew house Sony is going into. For example he points out Sony axing the playstation experience which could signfiy they're trying to save money

We don't know if they axe it or not since that normally get announce late .
Also saying Sony trying to save money by skipping E3 is stupid .
They going to be spending hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing leading up to PS5 .
Money spend on E3 would be drop in the bucket Sony just don't agree with the ESA or think there are better ways to get ROI on that money .
You can bet that E3 money for marketing will be used some where else.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017

Not great detail but seeing what this threads talks about enough for the speculation to die down to nothing much.

Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
Memory
GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive
Built-in
Optical Drive (read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

So basically the TFLOPS and the memory type and size over what we already have? Yeah, there's going to be a ton of numbers left to speculate about. Tell me about the ROPs man! What about the CUs?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's not really about saving money, it's more that new leadership almost always makes changes to put their own stamp on a team, and to challenge conventional organizational thinking.

We expect a company to act one way because they always have acted that way, but that's not, in and of itself, a good reason to continue along that path.
I think that's probably exactly what's going on here, especially with the voluntary departures of Trenton, House, the ouster of Layden, Shu stepping back from the spotlight and Herman stepping up.

There have been significant shakeups below the executive level as well.

In reality Sony quit their conventional E3 plans three years ago. The experiment of 2018 was them trying new things and shifting how they want consumers to view their products.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
It's not really about saving money, it's more that new leadership almost always makes changes to put their own stamp on a team, and to challenge conventional organizational thinking.

We expect a company to act one way because they always have acted that way, but that's not, in and of itself, a good reason to continue along that path.
I think the new marketing is working really well for them when you check number of views on youtube from their trailers.

Marketing change. 2013 is 7 years ago...

Nov 11, 2017

I agree, I pointed out in my original post that the most likely the difference in the change of strategy for Sony is due to the changee at the top Jack Trenton Andrew house etc. versus Jim Ryan. Jim Ryan and his new senior leadership seems to clearly be going down a different path which has started a few years ago. will that change in conventional thinking/marketing lead to a more positive direction? We don't know as of yet, but I think it's worth pointing out and discussing.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I can't help but think that the article in question completely missed the point. One of their observations was that Sony was able to capitalize on mistakes made by their rival because they happened to have an event scheduled the next day, and I tend to agree. So why leave it to chance and a schedule dictated by someone else? The message I'd take away in Sony's place is that you want to be able to control exactly when you release information to be able to counter your competition - and being locked into a big E3 reveal at a date that you've broadcast well in advance isn't guaranteed to give you that opening again, so you opt for flexibility instead.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I agree, I pointed out in my original post that the most likely the difference in the change of strategy for Sony is due to the change asll at the top Jack Trenton Andrew house etc. versus Jim Ryan. Jim Ryan and his new senior leadership seems to clearly be going down a different path which has started a few years ago. will that change in conventional thinking/marketing lead to a more positive direction? We don't know as of yet, but I think it's worth pointing out and discussing.
Sure, but we really don't have much data to go on yet, and what we do have shows their PS5 marketing plan is actually working incredibly well so far.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think that the article in question completely missed the point. One of their observations was that Sony was able to capitalize on mistakes made by their rival because they happened to have an event scheduled the next day, and I tend to agree. So why leave it to chance and a schedule dictated by someone else? The message I'd take away in Sony's place is that you want to be able to control exactly when you release information to be able to counter your competition - and being locked into a big E3 reveal at a date that you've broadcast well in advance isn't guaranteed to give you that opening again, so you opt for flexibility instead.
Yes exactly, they got lucky on a few unforced errors from MS. No need to take any sort of gamble this time around when you are already on top. This could have been quite different last go around.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The article you are bashing that I don't think you read talks about how they axed it last year.

I did read it .
Them axing PSX last year has nothing to with them skipping E3 this year .
In fact trying to frame this as cost cutting make no sense .
Yeah they talk about PS5 in a interview but that also months early compare to how they did reveal PS4 .
There is nothing to show that PS5 won't get it's own splashy media event .
Doing thing different yes but cost cutting that is a reach .

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I did read it .
Them axing PSX last year has nothing to with them skipping E3 this year .

Those are pretty similar things; cancelling an event you've had for years and skipping another big one. The article talks about the pattern of behavior.

In fact trying to frame this as cost cutting make no sense .

The article simply suggests it as a possibility while also claiming it's really difficult to speculate why they are cutting these events.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, E3 or some other event, video etc will be the same thing to me. I'm 39 and don't game as much as you guys. My interests are in other places like coding and hanging with my SO.

So I thought about it and think that Sony having their own thing is pretty good, while Nintendo and MS does their thing on E3 or not.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Those are pretty similar things; cancelling an event you've had for years and skipping one. The article talks about the pattern of behavior.

But strange how you read the article but thought Yearsoflurking was talking about the potential for a PSX this year which the article doesn't mention, and not the fact they cancelled it last year which it did mention.

If you going to quote me quote to whole thing .
My first post said they should talk about the pro and cons and detail why .
Which all of that goes back to my point .

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If you going to quote me quote to whole thing .
My first post said they should talk about the pro and cons and detail why .
Which all of that goes back to my point .

Nah I'll quote what I want because it's what I was addressing.

And what exactly are the pros and cons of skipping E3?

(honest question, more interesting convo than griping about this pointless article lol)

Feb 26, 2018
Sure, but we really don't have much data to go on yet, and what we do have shows their PS5 marketing plan is actually working incredibly well so far.
They probably gonna do the same strategy as in 2013 but replace e3 conference with a PSX. But i have a feeling Sony gonna move the second conference closer to release. Maybe September even

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda mind blowing how much shit they throw out and yet people keep eating it up
Because they say what people want to hear, we live in post truth world. It is basically "fake it until you make it", mixing various rumors or batshit theories until one of them sticks and you get some following. Afterwards they pray that they get in contact with a person that has actual knowledge.

Oh and the article is pure garbage, because we have not seen how PlayStation Meeting will look or what does Sony's strategy entail. All they did was moving away from E3 (which they did already last year).

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No you want to pick at one point and dismissed the rest .
How can you say the cost cutting when we don't even know if they going to have one this year .
The article doesn't say it's definitely cost cutting; it suggests that these actions fit the mold of cost cutting because they do.

I'm not dimissing anything; my comment to you was about the PSX event being cancelled, I then responded to your response to that... quit telling me WTF I can quote or not. Then you quote out my question.. fucking clown shoes.

So what are the pros and cons of skipping E3?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Ya know, looking at that Halo Infinite's interior cutscene and how sharp and clean it looked, all in-engine, I think we may finally get very close to this level of fidelity during actual gameplay (and for sure during in-engine cutscenes), at least on XseX at 60fps:

halo-wars-green-spart61u9w.jpg

I wish I had a better answer for you LOL

I'm really excited to see what next-gen hardware can do, no matter the TF count. I think we're going to see some really special games that take advantage of the new CPU and SSD capabilities.

No worries, I am on a similar boat (~10.3TF) it seems. And yes, I want to see what kind of scope and/or scale and/or pace of traversal Sony can attain in their first party exclusive released within the first year of the console's life.

And then years down the line, we'll see how devs leverage the mature tools and HW accelerated features like ARS/VRS down the line. For the first time since cartridge based solution, it feels like the next gen will see most advancements born of mitigating existing bottlenecks instead bumping computational power of what has been conventionally upgraded.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The article doesn't say it's definitely cost cutting; it suggests that these actions fit the mold of cost cutting because they do.

I'm not dimissing anything; my comment to you was about the PSX event being cancelled, I then responded to your response to that... quit telling me WTF I can quote or not.

No doing something different does not mean cost cutting .
You quoting me i have all right to say what i want when you quote me or comment about what i saying .
What do you thing this is ?

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's interesting because Sony is attending MWC this year with a new Xperia in a business they lose money in. They are also attending Taipei Game Show next month, not the same scale as E3 I know, but Sony is consistent with their message of wanting more fans involved in these shows, like the Taipei Game Show. Meanwhile, they are somehow cutting costs in one of their most successful businesses for the whole company and Xperia should be the one they cut, something doesn't add up with them logic.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't buy that Sony is trying to save money or cutting corners by not attending E3. Their leaders are all based around SIEE so they probably don't see E3 as big of a deal. They could as easily go to Gamescom which is bigger.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That's interesting because Sony is attending MWC this year with a new Xperia in a business they lose money in. They are also attending Taipei Game Show next month, not the same scale as E3 I know, but Sony is consistent with their message of wanting more fans involved in these shows, like the Taipei Game Show. Meanwhile, they are somehow cutting costs in one of their most successful businesses for the whole company and Xperia should be the one they cut, something doesn't add up with them logic.

I'm not really sure what your point is bringing up Xperia; we are talking about the Playstation business.

They cancelled a show they run last year, and their appearance at the biggest likely most expensive trade show of the upcoming year. The article says it's really difficult to say why, but then suggest it does from the outside fit the mold of cost cutting.

I don't know why that's so controversial. It's not even claiming Sony is cost cutting, it literally says it's hard to say why. Cancelling a fan experience trade show certainly isn't consistent with "wanting more fans involved."

Yesterday we went through like 10 pages of people justifying them exiting E3 because of some BS claim that it costs $30 million... now we are mad that an article suggests their actions fit the mold of cost cutting?

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Its like when your doing a book report to a book you have not read, so you just keep repeating the little bit of info you gathered from the back of the book and cover

Or do what I used to do, just take random quotations from the book and comment on them so people blink at the onslaught of non-sequiturs.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
"It seems that whenever a platform-holder enjoys a banner generation, it starts to get a little unpredictably ambitious, often to its own detriment. Microsoft's Xbox One debacle came on the heels of a resoundingly successful Xbox 360 generation. The damp squib that was the Wii U followed up Nintendo's mainstream phenomenon Wii. And of course, the last time Sony behaved this far outside of the norm was the last time it was coming off an industry-dominating success."
I don't get what the issue is though.

This is E3 we are talking about. The same Nintendo pulled out of for years. They still don't do a show at E3, they just have a presence, same way sony would have a presence. If the success that is the Switch has shown anything, it is that E3 is not needed.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what your point is bringing up Xperia; we are talking about the Playstation business.

They cancelled a show they run last year, and their appearance at the biggest likely most expensive trade show of the upcoming year. The article says it's really difficult to say why, but then suggest it does from the outside fit the mold of cost cutting.

I don't know why that's so controversial. It's not even claiming Sony is cost cutting, it literally says it's hard to say why. Cancelling a fan experience trade show certainly isn't consistent with "wanting more fans involved."

Yesterday we went through like 10 pages of people justifying them exiting E3 because of some BS claim that it costs $30 million... now we are mad that an article suggests their actions fit the mold of cost cutting?
Even later than that there were posts claiming $60 million.

Crazy thought. Is PS5 getting delayed to 2021?
I mean how can E3 not be the right venue for what they're focusing on this year??
I don't think E3 has anything to do with anything at this point.

Nov 11, 2017

Honestly this article isn't really saying anything different then what people we're saying in here, confused why it's so controversial.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Honestly this article isn't really saying anything different then what people we're saying in here, confused why it's so controversial.
Yeah it's speculating in every direction really; almost any comment here is addressed at some point in the article.

Like near the end they say it seems to be working fine for Sony.

The twitter stuff is click bait console wars stuff for sure, the article really isn't.

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017
Really need to start posting more, it just seems like by the time I've made up my mind to say something, others have said it better, or at least quicker. HAHA.

Regardless, will be disappointed if Sony doesn't have a big E3 "like" show around the E3 timeframe, I always looked forward to E3 to see the different approaches/shows.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yes we expect Sony to do 9 tf 399 ps5 but they will go with 499 12 TF machine 😜😂
this is a new Sony Not the Sony we used to know

(well these are mostly my wishes haha)

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If the PS5 would be weaker than XSX it would be in PlayStation's intrest to keep the raw specs as long as possible from the public just to keep the hype/excitement going.

Not saying they are doing it now but it makes you wonder.
I just cant wait to see the full reveal/plan

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Cross your fingers, say your prayers. It might yet happen. Believe.
A delay or the 2020 launch? lol
(Not sure if delay is the right word here though since no date has been announced)

I don't think E3 has anything to do with anything at this point.
Last year it was always assumed that Sony wasn't at E3 because it was a lowkey year for them regarding releases and they had already shown the big games multiple times before.

But this year? I don't know how to interpret that bit about E3 not being the right venue for what they're focused on this year. What exactly are they focused on that somehow makes E3 not right? It's weird.

And honestly, wouldn't be a big deal imo. More games ready for launch in a polished state and possibly better hardware as well. I don't think Sony has to rush a thing tbh, they'll dominate even if they launch 2 years later.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
(Not sure if delay is the right word here though since no date has been announced)

Last year it was always assumed that Sony wasn't at E3 because it was a lowkey year for them regarding releases and they had already shown the big games multiple times before.

But this year? I don't know how to interpret that bit about E3 not being the right venue for what they're focused on this year. What exactly are they focused on that somehow makes E3 not right? It's weird.

And honestly, wouldn't be a big deal imo. More games ready for launch in a polished state and possibly better hardware as well. I don't think Sony has to rush a thing tbh, they'll dominate even if they launch 2 years later.
Assumed by people did not mean it was correct its very clear they have a beef with the ESA and how it runs things and have for awhile

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Matt regardless of E3 or not, would you expect at least one global showcase (possibly two like 2013) to be expected from Sony? Whether prerecorded and streamed, or live. I think if they have new ideas to explain with the SSD etc then a PS meeting style stream would be useful, and then another for more details on games and specifics

And if MS announce price/games etc at E3, I can't imagine Sony leaving that without some response for long? Which would make me think Sony would do their E3 equivalent in June rather than waiting until Fall

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

E3 has its own politics of insider and fan focuses. Sony, for now, has a vision which doesn't include a big stage at E3. It isn't a portent of anything and shouldn't be treated as such.
We have not seen any credible source or rumor about a late Sony launch.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the PS5 would be weaker than XSX it would be in PlayStation's intrest to keep the raw specs as long as possible from the public just to keep the hype/excitement going.

Not saying they are doing it now but it makes you wonder.
I just cant wait to see the full reveal/plan

A delayed console is eventually good, but a rushed console is forever bad.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Trolling
Should someone tell Sony they are forgetting to market their new console? I'm really worried about them. Maybe someone could just pop round, stick their head through the door, check they are okay, ask if they need anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.