• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That doesn't account for transport costs, airfare, hotels, per diem, keynote costs, etc. It's just the tip of the iceberg.
And likely nowhere near $30 million..

Again.. I ask..

Why are you guys repeating some random Xbox Fanboy claiming it cost Sony $30 million to go to E3?

That's enough to pay 3,600 people a months salary who make $100k a year.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
But still, those things you mentioned amount at most to another 1-2, maybe 3 million. Still a far cry away from those supposed 30 million.
Probably nowhere near 3 million..

That's 100,000 nights at a $300 a night hotel lol

If their extras were even $1 million I'd be shocked... that's $10k spend each for 100 employees. You guys are way over-estimating.

I've expensed a whole lot of work trips in my life; the most I've ever spent on a week was around $5k. Maybe an executive would be rocking a $10k expense on a trip like that, but that same executive would probably be spending that same week not going to E3.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

Lets try to figure out what Sony's roadmap could look like without E3

1) 80% chance that there'll be a PS meeting next month, all signs point to it
2) I'll be shocked if Cerny isn't at GDC in marching talking about the PS5's hardware, unless of course Sony in fact didn't have a PS meeting in Feb.
3)FF7R in April all focus on that and no idea whats happening is May
4) Sony said there not attending E3 but so has EA for the past few years, they could have their own separate event in June close to E3 similar to how Death Stranding had that small ,marketing campaign a week or two prior to E3 2019, just too take some steam away from Microsoft at E3, they're avoiding E3 after all not their competition for the next gen race.
5) July marks the Tokyo Olympics 2020, a golden opportunity for Sony to begin their marketing campaign for the PS5 in Japan, expect there to be a presence.
6) Sony first showed of the PS4's UI back in Gamescom 2013, very good chance that they'll be a PS5 presence at gamescom this august given that its very close to release.
7) September is the Tokyo Game Show, a perfect opportunity to further rev up the marketing campaign in the Asian markets ahead of its imminent release, especially since Sony doesn't want to release the PS5 late in Japan just like the PS4 did.
8) and finally either October or November the console will release.

These are the "many events" that i believe Sony will attend to promote the PS5 instead of E3.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
And likely nowhere near $30 million..

Again.. I ask..

Why are you guys repeating some random Xbox Fanboy claiming it cost Sony $30 million to go to E3?

That's enough to pay 3,600 people a months salary who make $100k a year.

Have no idea on the accuracy of the $30M figure, but chuckled at the payroll math. After considering health insurance, other benefits, and employer payroll taxes, that 3,600 number drops significantly.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
There has to be a substantial saving for not attending. I can't believe any differences would make Sony not go if it cost 5 million considering the views worldwide. I've heard 10s of millions before.

This is 2006 and probably not talking about Sony or MS in how much they have to pay or if so, not the total.

"Following the 2006 convention, IDGA—now ESA—found that many exhibitors were worried about the high costs of presenting at the event, spending between $5–$10 million for their booths.[12] They had also found that a larger proportion of attendees were bloggers and attendees who were not perceived to be industry professionals by vendors, managing to secure access to the conference. These additional attendees diluted the vendors' ability to reach out to their target audience, retailers and journalists.[23] Both of these reasons had previously caused the COMDEX trade show to shut down.[23] Several large vendors told the ESA that they were going to pull out of the next E3, which would have had a domino effect on other vendors.[12]"​

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Have no idea on the accuracy of the $30M figure, but chuckled at the payroll math. After considering health insurance, other benefits, and employer payroll taxes, that 3,600 number drops significantly.

Oh give me a break; I said salary. It was just to give people perspective in a simple post. They also wouldn't be paying people for an entire months work, why didn't you get pedantic about that?

I'm well aware what an employee costs a company.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
There has to be a substantial saving for not attending. I can't believe any differences would make Sony not go if it cost 5 million considering the views worldwide. I've heard 10s of millions before.

This is 2006 and probably not talking about Sony or MS in how much they have to pay.

"Following the 2006 convention, IDGA—now ESA—found that many exhibitors were worried about the high costs of presenting at the event, spending between $5–$10 million for their booths.[12] They had also found that a larger proportion of attendees were bloggers and attendees who were not perceived to be industry professionals by vendors, managing to secure access to the conference. These additional attendees diluted the vendors' ability to reach out to their target audience, retailers and journalists.[23] Both of these reasons had previously caused the COMDEX trade show to shut down.[23] Several large vendors told the ESA that they were going to pull out of the next E3, which would have had a domino effect on other vendors.[12]"​
It's not a financial thing, According to Jason there's tension brewing between SIE and the ESA.

Nov 11, 2017
Why do we care if Sony is saving money how in the hell does that benefit us? Unless you have Sony stock or an employee ( shit do they even care) why are we discussing that in a next gen technology thread.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Good point. In the end, we are playing games. AI that goes crazy or is supersmart does not equal a fun gameplay expierence by default. Same for people who expect tons of focus on destructable enviroments. Most levels are carefully designed arenas; changing geometry will just 'break' a lot of things. Or silly things like "I need next-gen GTA with every building being accesible". That's a nice tech-feat, but I have a hard time believing it will result into fun gameplay; it will even probably be detrimental to people who have a hard time finishing games to begin with.

Yeah I always see people talking about how they want smarter AI ... but CPU limitations haven't really been the cause of AI stagnation...

I remember reading articles about AI in shooters. The problem is that smarter AI does poorly with testers. Developers design AI that makes the user feel smart or as if their character is smart, because that is what players respond positively to. So they try to strike a balance between making enemies seem intelligent, while actually be stupid and predictable enough so that players can routinely game their behavior.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
ESA should ask Sony / MS / Nintendo to be there for free if they present their newest games and have a conference watched by millions, without them E3 would be almost a non-event.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Why do we care if Sony is saving money how in the hell does that benefit us? Unless you have Sony stock or an employee ( shit do they even care) why are we discussing that in a next gen technology thread.
At this point that's about the only "speculation" going on in the thread.. what's the marketing strategy and why.

I feel like we know more about PS5 now than we did about PS4 this same time last gen.. were people this anxious?

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Just to clarify this is not the next gen technology thread but the general next gen thread, trying to understand marketing strategies is part of next gen discussion and speculation

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
Sony buying the Bitmap Brothers. PS5 exclusive port of Amiga / ST hit Xenon 2 incoming as a launch title.

Magic pockets or riot!

Dear god, I need Chaos Engine Remaster/Reimagining so badly.

Hmm. If only there was somebody who could pull some strings. lol

4hKh5Ed.png

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You are correct I'm not sure how the renting would work for a location that has your name on it? Guess it would have to be within the deal.
MS might have negotiated something but I kinda doubt it, unless they use it for more than E3? Naming rights are known to be a sort of lavish expense and not something that's a great deal for companies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
but klee what is a programmer I have a journalist |?
Klee a know person.

I have no problem being varified.
I am Kelly Rickards, former editor from Die Hard Gamefan magazine(yes, I was there during the "Jap Bastard" incident), former west coast editor of EGM. I was on the GAF forums since 1998 and joined era during the mass exodus here. Got married, got out of the gaming industry in '04 but still maintain lots of contacts in the industry.

I have nothing to hide

I do fully understand that "insider talk" is usually disruptive to the conversation so I will stop talking about next Gen information.

No problem.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This is something that I don't understand. Jason is like, the most well-connected, most reliable videogame journalist out there, and people chose to ignore what he's been saying and make up their own theories based on feelings and whatnot. What the fuck is going on?
Some people are
Going to do this because they enjoy taking trips down rabbit holes into fantasy land. Others don't like what they hear so they ignore it. Other people are trolling. Many people hear do listen to Jason. Try not to paint in too broad of strokes here, it's far from a hive mind mentality.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
So what studio has Sony bought according to that tweet, the one with a "bit bigger"? (I already lost the comment in the thread, it moves too fast as usual).

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah I always see people talking about how they want smarter AI ... but CPU limitations haven't really been the cause of AI stagnation...

I remember reading articles about AI in shooters. The problem is that smarter AI does poorly with testers.

That strikes me as a wildly unimaginative way of viewing the opportunities. There's far more to AI than being better at achieving objectives. Making a believable representation of a living creature should include making mistakes, being unpredictable, overcommitting to a goal despite changing circumstances, learning from mistakes, being incapacitated by physical damage or pain, and a zillion other factors that would create much more interesting gameplay. These kinds of nuances are also going to increase computational burden and hopefully a creative team will apply their increased CPU budget to these kinds of nuances.

I get why people are trying to understand the rollout strategy because it dictates when we'll learn more, which is clearly relevant to us as customers. I also have to laugh whenever someone posits owning stock as the only reason to care what a company does. We see plenty of people here who are deeply emotionally invested without having a financial stake (and likely a few whose fiscal investment you'd never guess at from what they post. I guarantee I'd be accused of lying if I divulged how much of my net worth is in Microsoft stock, given that I'm largely critical of their Xbox strategy as a customer and I'm not aware of having any SNE in my portfolio, with the possible exception of indirectly through managed funds.)

I'm also shaking my head at the attempt to estimate costs. Not only are a lot of basics being neglected, I shudder to imagine the opportunity cost of diverting a development team to build a demo just because E3 is coming up, even though they're not really in a good place to do so. The immovable nature of the date doesn't match the fluid reality of game development.

E3 made way more sense when getting your message to potential customers was far more difficult and gathering the media for your press event was comparatively cost effective. Now a YouTube video can reach millions in short order with little or no incremental cost - and can happen at any time that's convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.