• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Therefore, approach 3 is best from the point of view of a nextgen owner.

If the platform holder chooses approach 3, you're right we can't say whether they'll pocket the savings, or blow them on something we don't care for. But if they choose either other approach, some aspect will definitely suffer.
Not necessarily true though as you're not factoring in sales revenue. Selling to next gen only = 500k potential customers or whatever. Selling to previous gen = 50m potential customers.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Not necessarily true though as you're not factoring in sales revenue. Selling to next gen only = 500k potential customers or whatever. Selling to previous gen = 50m potential customers.

Reality is that just a small fraction of your usebase is a potential customer for any single game, and the enthusiasts/hardcore, the people most likely to buy a new console at launch, buy the vast majority of software. Discrepancy betwen potential addressable marketshare is far smaller than you'd think.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
As I said earlier, I don't know about a February reveal but all I know is from the time Sony does there ps5 blow out, they'll be launching within the next 6-7 months

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Reality is that just a small fraction of your usebase is a potential customer for any single game, and the enthusiasts/hardcore, the people most likely to buy a new console at launch, buy the vast majority of software. Discrepancy betwen potential addressable marketshare is far smaller than you'd think.

depends on the type of game.

Games like Just dance bucks the trend, and of course it would be absolute stupidity to try that with sports games.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
After the launch of TLOU2? Sony is in a weird position : Their PS5 is most coveted, but their 4th is about to have it's best year yet (of any console this entire generation, actually). Finding the perfect time slot to announce the next PS is mo easy task.

It's actually really easy. Announce it in February, before GDC.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
It's actually really easy. Announce it in February, before GDC.

Yea, because they can't fuck over not at least having some panels to talk to developed open to do business. Although I do remember Nintendo talking about NX to developers before they announced the switch at GDC. So it's possibly since a lot of basic info in the name/rough specs have been talked about they can have GDC still without being afraid to talk to developers.

To me it's 50/50. But I'm leaning towards then announcing something since they have been so quiet. They need to get ahead of Microsoft, and at least talk about it more, show the controller, show some teases for games, and then tease another event coming, possibly in another region.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
depends on the type of game.

Games like Just dance bucks the trend, and of course it would be absolute stupidity to try that with sports games.

Even though they have a much longer tail and do appeal to casuals, it's somewhat true to even sports games.

Sports games have an advantage, of course, in that they're mostly just the same game repackaged over an over, so having a prety long cross gen period pays off the small investment regardless.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Yes...and the public doesn't care lol. At the end of the day that game is coming out on PS4 and sell more there anyway.
People overestimate the power of an E3 conference in a weird way in here...

Not the best place to announce the PS5, that's for sure.
E3 is getting weaker and less interesting year after year.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
The problem is they can't keep everything water-tight for too long, it's already out there that we're probably looking at 9TF vs 12TF and so it looks like a bad position...Sony will likely not want that story to have legs and keep 'control' of the narrative IMO.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Neither Sony or MS will be able to stop the leaks after this GDC in March i think.
So,if they don't wanna talk about specs somebody else most certainly will ;)

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem is they can't keep everything water-tight for too long, it's already out there that we're probably looking at 9TF vs 12TF and so it looks like a bad position...Sony will likely not want that story to have legs and keep 'control' of the narrative IMO.
It's been out there for a while and they haven't said anything about it. Maybe they just don't care cause it's not true and they will reveal according to their planned time.

Oct 30, 2017
After the launch of TLOU2? Sony is in a weird position : Their PS5 is most coveted, but their 4th is about to have it's best year yet (of any console this entire generation, actually). Finding the perfect time slot to announce the next PS is mo easy task.
I think people forget how amazing the PS3 was in its final year.

-Puppeteer
-God of War Ascension
-Gran Turismo 6
-The Last of Us
-Beyond Two Souls
-Sly Cooper
-Ratchet and Clank

Then the major third party games like:
-Metal Gear Rising
-Dead Space 3
-Batman
-Bioshock Infinite
-GTA V
-Metro
-Several more

2013 was an absolutely absurd year for PS3 and the PS4 still got plenty of pre launch hype and discussion.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Tease/reveal needs to be earlier than that. Seed the idea of what it can do - tech demos like the sorcerer etc, few examples of upcoming games in development. That has to be before TLOU2.

Price/box/release date can be later - even September. But I still think it'll be around E3 time because they won't want to leave it too long with only MS having a 'real' product announced with price/date. I'd bet on a Sony event before the end of June (likely mid June). And a PS meeting type thing in Feb/March

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, because they can't fuck over not at least having some panels to talk to developed open to do business. Although I do remember Nintendo talking about NX to developers before they announced the switch at GDC. So it's possibly since a lot of basic info in the name/rough specs have been talked about they can have GDC still without being afraid to talk to developers.

To me it's 50/50. But I'm leaning towards then announcing something since they have been so quiet. They need to get ahead of Microsoft, and at least talk about it more, show the controller, show some teases for games, and then tease another event coming, possibly in another region.

They went early with Wired. They went early in 2013. I think Sony's comfortable position is to go early with a showcase, and late with price/positioning. And not being at E3 its likely they can control the timing to do the same again this year

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
IMO, after Nintendo successfully unveiled and launched Switch using only Directs, Sony may try to do the same with PS5 unveil.

Film a long PS5-centric State of Play, and invite a bunch of press to play some PS5 games and film the hardware when SoP premiers. After that they can do an SoP at every major convention where fans can interact with PS5 games.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Sorry if already posted, but this popped up on my Google feed:

MICROSOFT XBOX SERIES X WILL USE GROUPE-CONTROLLED PCIE 4.0 SSD

Not tech savvy at all, so would somebody care to explain the significance of this?

Not sure what "groupe-conrolled" is maybe a translation error for Grouplink. But they have the only SSD out right now that support PCIE4.0 which allows read/write speed of 7GB / s and a read / write speed of up to 1000k IOPS (input/output operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.