• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Yes...and the public doesn't care lol. At the end of the day that game is coming out on PS4 and sell more there anyway.
People overestimate the power of an E3 conference in a weird way in here...
Hello? The gif was illustrating that Microsoft screwed up even though Sony didn't have a conference. They definitely didn't. They even announced the aquisition of Double Fine on top of everything else.

Read into things before replying to people. Better luck next time.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love how many people are losing their mind about Sony not having their PS5 event yet and jumping to ridiculous conclusions. I means its not like at this point last gen they hadn't had their event either or anything yet somehow they are apparently doing everything wrong this time.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
giphy.gif

😌 it definitely did my apologies to everyone . It wasn't necessarily just for him though, the last 5 pages has been a huge overreaction about E3, sony making bad move as if they dont have actual paid professional that would be aware of "most" issues mentioned, them spoon feeding people and talking the piss etc.

It just a bit tiring to read, skipped a few pages landed on his comment in my frustration of this whole webside, like jesus it will eventually be revealed, fucking hell talk about entitlement 😪, can we get bk talking specs, i dont see what role e3 plays in the development of the nxt gen systems. This message is to everyone!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
No one's "disqualifying" anything. You said a single developer could easily make a game for two gens that took full advantage of the newer hardware. You used Forza Horizon 2 as your example. In fact, that scenario is not what happened with FH2, so you were wrong. The actual possible choices are these:

- Crossgen games can be made by one developer, but they won't take full advantage of the nextgen platform.
- You can pay two studios to make "one" game on both platforms. Neither will be held back, but the additional expenditure isn't available for other things.
- You can pay one studio to take full advantage of the nextgen platform.

Only the last one maximizes the quality of nextgen games and the likelihood of there being more of them to choose from. Thus, when Microsoft explicitly rejects that path, they're essentially announcing less support for the next Xbox. One way or the other.

Again this is a pedantic and flawed arguement. Very few AAA games are built by a single studio... this is true whether they are making crossgen ports or not. The number of studios that make a game is immaterial to whether or not a crossgen game can deliver the goods on both platforms.

You worrying about "expenditure being available for other things is a red herring." There's no indication that "crossgen" development is preventing "other things" from getting the exact funding they'd if crossgen wasnt a thing.

To your last point, Microsoft can pay one studio to take full advantage of the nextgen platform while also 1) paying another studio to take full advantage of the oldgen platform or 2) using team within the same studio to take full advantage of the oldgen platform. In either case, the notion that the oldgen version is robbing the new gen version is based on a false pretense that the new gen wont get the money it needs regardless.

Fans tend to discuss what's already in the discussion zeitgeist, while ignoring topics that are less noisy. Nevertheless, whether talked about much or not, dev expenses are very much an issue if you're a game fan. They're the reason gen 8 had so many fewer AAA games release than previous gens. Forza has been reliable, but for example look at Halo. There was 3, 3: ODST, Reach, and 4 on 360, while the Xbox One will see only 5 and Infinite, as a crossgen title at the very end of the generation. They clearly could've used more resources. If Halo isn't your thing, substitute any other property (or a wish for new IP).

What's your point here? Can crossgen expenditure prevented 343 from releasing more Halo games this gen?

Neither the process of development FH2 went through, nor the logic of finite resources, are in any way hypothetical. You're right that we can't know what Microsoft would do with the extra resources available if they didn't spend on lastgen versions. But there's exactly zero chance they'll allocate it to nextgen games if the money is already spent. Some chance is better than none.
What's hypothetical is that some next gen games budget is a function of what was spent on developing a crossgen game.

All my argument requires is the knowledge that money is no longer yours if you spend it. Have you ever encountered a game that "needs more polish"? Of course. That's a situation where more resources would've helped. And if you've already put resources into ports or alternate versions, you're not reassigning them elsewhere.

again, you have nothing to say that the resources these games need isnt available as a result of the port costs

That absolutely can happen. Remember these products aren't just profit drivers themselves, but also hooks to draw people into your ecosystem. (Indeed, Microsoft is notable for how important that aspect has become to their business plan.) Pushing down profit margins on a very attractive project--maybe even below zero--can thus sometimes be justified.

Right... cost/ benefit analysis isn't completely centered on profit. It can happen that Project A gets a budget increase, completely independent of what's going on with project B, because they believe the end result is worth it.

Here it is again, as concise as possible:

People who own nextgen consoles want more and better games on it. There's three approaches to development:
1. A single dev effort across two generations. But this will underutilize nextgen features, resulting in worse games.
2. Multiple devs splitting generations on a "single" game. This allows nextgen quality to increase...but costs much more, resulting in fewer or cheaper games.
3. Single dev effort solely on nextgen. This maximizes quality and minimizes cost per game.

Therefore, approach 3 is best from the point of view of a nextgen owner.

If the platform holder chooses approach 3, you're right we can't say whether they'll pocket the savings, or blow them on something we don't care for. But if they choose either other approach, some aspect will definitely suffer.

Nah A publisher can go with option 2, give the next gen version the exact same budget it would have had in option 3 AND give the old gen version the resources it needs to succeed there (whether the work is done by a contractor or inhouse team is immaterial). The dev cost will go up a bit, but the cost/benefit analysis deems it justifiable because the number of potential happy customers isnt limited by the amount of new hardware shipped. Theres no suffering)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
https://www.ithome.com/0/468/512.htm
I don't know Chinese, but as I understand it, they write on this site that Xbox Series X will use SSD at speeds up to 7GB/s
if i am reading this correctly, they are reporting that digitimes claiming that Qunlian are making the SSD for MS, and then assumes from that fact that MS are using the PS5018-E18 part (funny that it has PS5 in the name, its also the same part from the reddit OQA post about PS5), as its the fastest and provides a max read of 7GB/s.

in short, lots of assumptions and jumping to conclusions based on a rumor from digitimes on the supplier.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I bought myself an NVME SSD to make myself feel better about my computer in comparison to the next consoles. I hope that will somewhat future proof it but it's not the same as having an SSD directly integrated into the GPU itself.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Hmm that's from Phison it seems. They have a bit of a lead when to comes to that tech. They can reach 8tb of storage to.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I really want to know what head honcho over at Sony decided to cancel two PSX events and two E3's in a row.

There's a difference between not going to an event because you have nothing to show vs being radio silent on big events since E3 2018.

But they haven't been radio silent. That's an exaggeration. U don't know what the barometer is for enough information.
At this point I think Sony will reveal the PS5 after its release

What if it's already out....?

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, still worked up over the E3 snub I see. No worries mates, news will come sooner than later. We are entering a golden age of gaming.

if i am reading this correctly, they are reporting that digitimes claiming that Qunlian are making the SSD for MS, and then assumes from that fact that MS are using the PS5018-E18 part (funny that it has PS5 in the name, its also the same part from the reddit OQA post about PS5), as its the fastest and provides a max read of 7GB/s.

in short, lots of assumptions and jumping to conclusions based on a rumor from digitimes on the supplier.
Could you imagine if this is the actual PS5 SSD?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Oh shit, still worked up over the E3 snub I see. No worries mates, news will come sooner than later. We are entering a golden age of gaming.

Could you imagine if this is the actual PS5 SSD?
I think that part is the controller, and from what i understand it is very expensive, so i doubt either side will use it

Deleted member 8136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are aware, that the Phison PS501X family of controllers is already a couple years old, right? The name does not derive from PS5.

Luck

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
English version:

According to a report from DigiTimes, Phison has "reportedly broken into the supply chain of Microsoft's Xbox," seemingly confirming industry speculation that the Taiwanese SSD controller vendor had secured a contract to provide components for the highly-anticipated Xbox Series X.

What does that mean for gamers? The possibility of PCIe 4.0 SSDs that could hit 7 GB/s of throughput and up to 8TB of capacity, though the latter isn't likely because it would be shocking overkill for a console and add quite a bit to the price tag.

Microsoft has been talking up its new Xbox Series X that comes equipped with an AMD Zen 2-based processor and next-gen GPU that supports hardware-accelerated ray tracing, but also revealed the new console has an incredibly fast NVMe SSD that has access times that rival the memory access time of current-gen consoles. That marks a big step forward from current consoles, which overwhelmingly come with HDDs that aren't even on the same playing field in terms of performance.

If newer games are coded to take advantage of the NVMe SSD correctly, that could result in nearly-instantaneous load times and more detailed scenes during gameplay.

Phison has a big advantage in terms of raw speed. The company produces E16 SSD controllers that third-party SSD vendors use to build the only SSDs on the market that support the PCIe 4.0 interface, giving them access to potentially twice the sequential throughput of any other model currently on the market. The E16's strength in sequential work is important: The faster interface pumps high-quality textures into the processor nearly twice as fast as PCIe 3.0 SSDs (up to 5GB/s), thus enabling richer scenes and smoother gameplay. Phison already has its next-gen E18 SSD controller in the works, too, that will push the bar up to 7GB/s.

We recently visited Phison at CES, and the company also had new PCIe 4.0 SSD prototypes that cram an astounding 8TB onto a single M.2 SSD with the E12S controller, so the company is working to make both faster and more capacious SSDs that could all land in the same time frame as Microsoft's Xbox Series X.

It's hard to tell which of Phison's controllers Microsoft will select, but given its statements around performance, it will almost certainly be a PCIe 4.0 variant. Phison was the first to support the interface, which does give it an advantage of having field-tested SSD controllers available for Microsoft. Other SSD/controller vendors do have competing PCIe 4.0 SSDs on the way to market, like Innogrit and Samsung, but those will be relative newcomers while Phison's controllers have been in the market for quite some time.

Oct 27, 2017
The Sony strategy with the interaction with is fans in the last two years just sucks.

We know, there are millions clients, the brand is established, the games speak themselfs, but ffs have some respet 4thepayers.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

yeah sounds like a reach based on part numbering.
You guys are aware, that the Phison PS501X family of controllers is already a couple years old, right? The name does not derive from PS5.
Wasn't aware of this product history, thanks. I was mostly reacting to the speed of 7 GB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.