• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
it's so bizarre. the secrecy is absolutely needless and extremely infuriating. they should have at least 2 exclusives out in 10 months, 3-4 in less than a year. and we havent seen them? PS5 was announced in April and no footage whatsoever? Why? i dont even want the specs anymore. they have one job, build excitement and its been nothing but teases for 9 months since april.

i was shocked to see MS show up at the vgas and show off the console and a game. it was brilliant.

these are just video games. Like miamiwesker said about movies, movies get announced as soon as a director or an actor or even a screenwriter gets attached to them. horizon 2 has been in dev for 3+ years now and they wont even acknowledge its existence. Its not a state secret. 'its just a fucking toy' as Matt so eloquently put it. Showing it off wont give MS an edge. it wont piss off gamers who know for a fact that it will be available at launch in 2020. people arent this finicky.

This is just as bad as what WB is doing with the Batman game. if you have a presser in Feb. just say so at CES when you were revealing the logo. people ate that shit up. they wont get upset at a reveal trailer.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not sure what's going on with Sony's and this super tight lipped approach. It's not their MO....and it's deflating hype. If there is no PS Event next month, something is wrong. I really hope they don't show off PS5 at a 20 minute SoP....

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That's quite some bans in the last few pages, rip.

Holy shit you weren't kidding. I had to take a moment to ponder if I said anything bannable too, lol.

Welp, I have strong hopes that we'll be getting more info from Sony this week. I'd LOVE to wake up tomorrow to a new Wired article or some other announcement.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit you weren't kidding. I had to take a moment to ponder if I said anything bannable too, lol.

Welp, I have strong hopes that we'll be getting more info from Sony this week. I'd LOVE to wake up tomorrow to a new Wired article or some other announcement.

A NEW Wired article in the morning.... Imagine that.
You just gave me something else I will (impatiently and) anxiously wait for. Hoping to find published. at every given moment I'm awake. Hell.. I may lose sleep over this. lol.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
$399 should get you much better than 4TF.

It all depends on what else is in the package. It does seem steep, but if it has the same spec SSD and a comparable CPU to the Series X there may not be as much breathing space as you might hope. I think the real conversation changer would be at $300 but even $350 would make things interesting. Among the places to cut costs that haven't been discussed is the potential for HDMI 2.0a in Lockhart rather than 2.1.

The Series X announcement was unexpected and exciting.

I'm not sure how anyone can deny that without a pretty slanted view. Getting a peek at industrial design this early was wonderfully unexpected and a good move. Paired with Hellblade 2 it was a real "wow" moment even if it does still leave a lot of unanswered questions.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not sure what's going on with Sony's and this super tight lipped approach. It's not their MO....and it's deflating hype. If there is no PS Event next month, something is wrong. I really hope they don't show off PS5 at a 20 minute SoP....
Honestly, if sony were to use SoP for a PS5 reveal blowout it would e the best thing they could ever do.

They can show the console, and have Cerny talk about the tech and the hardware and have a stream of devs along with their games talk up their games. Hell, they can even split it up and spread out the info in 30 mins segments over the period of a week. Call it Week of Play.

So much room to be different. And bound to be more informative than whatever they can fit into a 1-2hr live show.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone compiled a list of all the known game-related events around the world to see how many that adds up to? I have to imagine Sony are including a buttload of their own fan expos (or whatever they'll call them) around the world to equal the "hundreds" of events they mentioned. Makes me glad I live in a large city like Toronto since that means we might have a decent chance of getting one such event :)

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Honestly, having two devs make two different versions of the same game isn't a terrible idea at the AAA level, especially near a console launch. All the versions get the same marketing from the publisher and extra attention from the platform holders, all they have to do is slap the logo for the old version on the trailer. Hiring the last-gen version's developer to make a different game with similar resources would probably result in a more modest game since the smaller studio has to handle all of the artwork and design, and would need it's own marketing resources. Personally, I'd prefer a different game, but it might not be the most efficient way of doing things with a big publisher.

Titanfall on the 360 is an example that contradicts this sadly.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It all depends on what else is in the package. It does seem steep, but if it has the same spec SSD and a comparable CPU to the Series X there may not be as much breathing space as you might hope. I think the real conversation changer would be at $300 but even $350 would make things interesting. Among the places to cut costs that haven't been discussed is the potential for HDMI 2.0a in Lockhart rather than 2.1.

I was going by what Albert Penello posted here. He was/is in the position to know what $399 would you get in a console.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah..so I just woke up to see Sony is skipping E3 again, which in itself isn't a big deal imo.
But I join others before me that this super tight-lipped approach is just a stupid strategy. I lurk this thread dozen times a day and I'm approaching a point of just not caring anymore.

For me, Sony's approach have begun to be counterproductive. This level of silence/secrecy is just needless imo and also provides fuel to speculations about the "there are problems at Sony" narrative.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The PS5 logo on Instagram was the most liked gaming related post of all time. I think the hype level is fine.

Also, they have 3 huge PS4 exclusives they have to keep people interested in this year, no need to rush out with PS5 info.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah..so I just woke up to see Sony is skipping E3 again, which in itself isn't a big deal imo.
But I join others before me that this super tight-lipped approach is just a stupid strategy. I lurk this thread dozen times a day and I'm approaching a point of just not caring anymore.

For me, Sony's approach have begun to be counterproductive. This level of silence/secrecy is just needless imo and also provides fuel to speculations about the "there are problems at Sony" narrative.
PS4 still has a crazy slate of exclusives coming out and we're only 14 days into the new year. Announcing it now vs. a month from now won't make the PS5 come out any sooner.

I'd rather Sony take the extra month and come correct when they do.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

None of this will matter once they reveal the PS5, months and months before it's even available.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
I think Sony will start the real PS5 Marketing after the release of The Last of Us 2. Ghosts of Tsushima could possibly be a September release and will be the first game with PS5 Upgrade and will promoted this way.

Sony will do a little live event, State of play and collaboration videos with Studios and/or Gamesites and will be on all of the big events like Gamescom.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
pwnZ7Go.png

ssdbzkea.png

Star Citizen heavily leverages this portion of an SSD's speed. Not its bandwidth for large files over time (which it also uses of course), but its immediate seek speed for small files. Grabbing tons of tiny files off the disk and bringing them into RAM constantly. A Sata 3.0 SSD and higher end NVME SSD here actually have pretty similar performance even though the NVME is much faster at larger read writes. And HDD is impossibly slow at those tasks in comparison if you look at the numbers there for two 7200 RPMs in Raid 0.
And Optane absolutely blows an NVME or normal SSD out of the water in those smaller tasks. Order of magnitude.
Intel-Optane-P900-480GB-SSD-Crystal-Disk-Mark-Intel-Dvr.png

Notice how optane destroys even an Nvme SSD in 4K reads.

They have a number of posts and interviews about it scattered out over the years of behind the scenes coverage of the game, but I am also (writing it here on ResetERA first) going to be some dedicated Star Citizen coverage soon where I will have interviews regarding this stuf. I hope you guys like it.

The reason why the game focuses on that burst / parallel data grabbing from the SSD is due to its world and asset design, and not because of the physics so much so. The game's asset size in the sizte of its world is the thing that motivated them to focus on this type of game loading. How do we stop the game from stuttering with multiple ship models and worlds where each one is multiple hundreds of megabytes in memory?
Thanks for sharing this, Alex. People are so led by the bandwidth numbers, they forget completely about the major advantage, latency and access times. I don't say bandwidth is not important but we are talking about something between 16 and 24 gb of RAM. It will be filled fast with anything >1gb/s anyway.

Feb 23, 2019
It would have been more interesting If they were there, and Sony reason seem to be issues with the E3 association forbtheirn part. Some fans don't seem to have an issue with it at all.

I honestly don't care too much about them not being at E3.

What I do care about is them hardly throwing their fanbase a bone when the PS5 is like 9-10 months away from launch. Their competition has revealed specs, shown hardware, and shown our first glimpse at next-gen graphics. That used to be a Sony move.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't care too much about them not being at E3.

What I do care about is them hardly throwing their fanbase a bone when the PS5 is like 9-10 months away from launch. Their competition has revealed specs, shown hardware, and shown our first glimpse at next-gen graphics. That used to be a Sony move.
I get the desire for info, I'd like at least a date for an event. However Sony probably looked at the reaction to the Logo reveal and while there was some mocking, the loyal loved it, and they most likely thinking "We have the momentum and brand loyalty and postive buzz. Let it ride."

Feb 23, 2019
Exactly my thought as well. Why announce a non participation month ahead and not announcing a reveal event taking place sooner(assumption).

Maybe PS5 will be shown at an event after E3 then?!

Maybe they're ending the night to announce negative news...

only to open tomorrow's day with positive news...

If nothing is announced by the end of the week I will be pretty disappointed/shocked.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018

There is without a doubt something brewing within SIE leadership (executive changes, E3, total dearth of product marketing for next gen)... and as I have said before, I hope it does not affect the console itself.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
So if Microsoft is already hard at work on E3 does that mean we're not getting an event beforehand? This is going to be tough.

I wish we could just get a straightforward answer for this and from Sony about what we can expect from them.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Why does Sony announce no E3 in January which is about 5 months earlier than E3?

They should announce PS meeting now, not about E3.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
So if Microsoft is already hard at work on E3 does that mean we're not getting an event beforehand? This is going to be tough.

I wish we could just get a straightforward answer for this and from Sony about what we can expect from them.

E3 will be about games for both press and public. I would expect a console overview event prior to e3. All hardware bullshit should be out of the way prior to e3. Price and release date could be held to e3 though.

Why does Sony announce no E3 in January which is about 5 months earlier than E3?

They should announce PS meeting now, not about E3.

I think attendance is done quite early so that floor plans can be laid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.