• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
What John is talking about I presume is that when we got a new console generation...the industry shifted and it was exciting. VR/AR came out but they are growing so there's not a big rush of "OH SHIT" and EVERYONE is wanting it. VR/AR doesn't have that and when that moment happens where everyone wants it...it wouldn't be a surprise. Seeing Sega Saturn with 3D fighting and Mario 64 were mind blowing during the time. We are at a point where people even in this very thread are talking reducing loadtimes and such...I mean, we had instant loading with cartridges back in the day...yes I know you have more data and more real worlds and more compute power...but it's not a mindbending thing.

It's like when people used horses and then the car was invented (2D -> Mario 64)...to now when it's like using a gas car to an electric car (current gen to next gen). Sure it's exciting and great stuff...but that first jump was much more mindblowing than what is happening now.
I guarantee you that it would be a surprise if done right.

VR is a very different medium to anything out there. The things you can do can affect the brain on a very large scale.

It's also worth noting that by the time we get a mainstream killer app for VR (not just Half-Life: Alyx, but it's counterpart in 5+ years), if it's built correctly, users will have some serious agency in the virtual world, to such a degree where a lot of people will think they can control certain things or processes with their mind. All it takes is enough player data to start reading their mind; eye tracking, body tracking, facial tracking - these all give serious insights into what the player is thinking.

So we can end up with a Psycho Mantis scenario all over again, except turned up to eleven.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing - if games are still built with Xbox One in mind, will that come to pass?
No one is doing that except for MS. Sony exclusives sure as hell wont. and third party devs will move on too. maybe not at launch, but by 2021 we should have third parties releasing next gen only games. Just look up at what EA said about DICE not wanting to make a cross gen BF game. we will definitely see some of those 2021 games at E3 2020 if not at the PSM and the Xbox Series X full revealing. At worst we will see tech demos like Quantic Dream's Sorcerer demo, Square Enix's Agni Philosophy demo and Capcom's Deep down demo at these conferences.

And tbw MS is only doing that because their current games are cross gen and they likely didnt plan ahead. I am sure they will ditch the xbox one as soon as 2021 when their next gen only games from the State of Decay devs and Rare are ready.

Feb 10, 2018
Especially if it is running like trash. Who wants to cover that let alone spend the time away from the more interesting thing? (the next gen version)

There is no joy in covering something like Shadow of Mordor on PS3

You sure you read what I wrote? I said that it will trivialise loading. That does not mean every game though will suddenly have a 100% seemless world thnough.

Call of duty 15: X1S, PS4, PS4 PRO, X1X, XSX,PS5 and PC Face Off!

Dam....

Happy new year! Welcome back!

Coming from a playstation fan!

*hides in cover* *activating defense system* *requesting backup*

;P

Why would it matter if you're a PlayStation fan?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think the first major changes to game design vs. what we saw this gen will be due to CPU advantages at the start of the generation. More AI, more complex physics, more unique objects on screen and such. That is a much more simple hardware metric to take advantage of than rewriting the entire way your engine loads data from disk and puts it into memory and then designing entire game systems around that. SSDs at the beginning will primarily be used to speed up game loading, making it pretty trivial. That is not a large change to game design though.

I imagine most games will still be pretty traditional for a while - dedicated levels, dedicated cutscenes, dedicated front ends/uis for each area of the game (multiplayer/singleplayer/etc.). Not every game needs to be 100% seamless all the time / give the player full agency necessarily. The spider man camera thing that they demod on PS5 is just a test case. On ps4 the camera was hardware limited to a certain degree to a certain speed, faster than that speed, the game would probably stutter as it loaded in objects too slowly from disk. But how necessary is it for most games out there, honestly, that the camera move really rapidly? Spiderman/the player won't need to move that quickly!

Only later on, and then, only for games that need it (for which many have no need for it), will some developers leverage the different way SSDs can do loading vs. before.
Mecha Meister thread mark!

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think once we see the games you'll change your opinion. It was the same with this gen, going in it seemed more of the same but the leap in fidelity was quite stunning. Now far higher graphical fidelity combined with the CPU and SSD means some quite huge potential for game design taking quite a leap ahead.

Yeah I think Ubisoft might surprise us in that regard.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I've acquired some hidden camera footage of you at the Redmond headquarters:
91bf4c8e769b4d3f6da3f18cb9e33de3.gif

kylo-ren-let-the-past-die-gif.gif

JPizRL5.gif

Funny you have some inside information. I also have hidden cam footage.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nov 11, 2017
I think the first major changes to game design vs. what we saw this gen will be due to CPU advantages at the start of the generation. More AI, more complex physics, more unique objects on screen and such. That is a much more simple hardware metric to take advantage of than rewriting the entire way your engine loads data from disk and puts it into memory and then designing entire game systems around that. SSDs at the beginning will primarily be used to speed up game loading, making it pretty trivial. That is not a large change to game design though.

I imagine most games will still be pretty traditional for a while - dedicated levels, dedicated cutscenes, dedicated front ends/uis for each area of the game (multiplayer/singleplayer/etc.). Not every game needs to be 100% seamless all the time / give the player full agency necessarily. The spider man camera thing that they demod on PS5 is just a test case. On ps4 the camera was hardware limited to a certain degree to a certain speed, faster than that speed, the game would probably stutter as it loaded in objects too slowly from disk. But how necessary is it for most games out there, honestly, that the camera move really rapidly? Spiderman/the player won't need to move that quickly!

Only later on, and then, only for games that need it (for which many have no need for it), will some developers leverage the different way SSDs can do loading vs. before.
Very good post should be threadmarked

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the wild sequel where link plays a melody and the world changes around him. What's more "Nintendo" than having a dual world design. Zelda OOT with the past and future worlds, Metroid Prime 2 with the dark world, imagine that in real-time changing around you :)

#WishNintendoWasInThePowerRace
Definitely an opportunity for some Ages/Seasons or Link to the Past inspired mechanics.

Oct 30, 2017
Games this generation seemed more expansive than the last while maintaining a competent frame rate.
There were many experiences this generation that I just think conceptually would not have been very good on PS3 era hardware.

So I'm hoping next generation continues to knock down barriers.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I guarantee you that it would be a surprise if done right.

VR is a very different medium to anything out there. The things you can do can affect the brain on a very large scale.

It's also worth noting that by the time we get a mainstream killer app for VR (not just Half-Life: Alyx, but it's counterpart in 5+ years), if it's built correctly, users will have some serious agency in the virtual world, to such a degree where a lot of people will think they can control certain things or processes with their mind. All it takes is enough player data to start reading their mind; eye tracking, body tracking, facial tracking - these all give serious insights into what the player is thinking.

So we can end up with a Psycho Mantis scenario all over again, except turned up to eleven.
I understand VR and I understand it's potential... The thing is, to me, it won't have the same impact until it is fundamentally different, like a NerveGear in Swort Art Online or something. If it's done right in its current form you still have a lot of things you need to do in order for people to feel in the game. More haptics and not just hands. There's still a lot of detachment that I feel when doing VR. Not saying it's not cool but it's still a ways away from being there and when it is there it's more of a "Finally" rather than an "oh shit, I never thought of this before"...

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it especially strange, considering that I always believed Microsoft were taking the approach of not mandating anything towards developers, not forcing them to use certain tools, letting them make 8k games if they want to, 120fps if they want to, giving them these options and choices to decide what's best for their game.

Mandating that every game supports the Xbox One potato seems to run so counter to that. Would a user buy a Series X game, be able to pop it in their Xbox One, and have it run? Is there no such thing as a 'Series X' game, they're just 'Xbox' games?

Sep 28, 2019

I agree - in regards of Third Party Devs. Sonys First Party Studios will be told to make good use of that special SSD inside PS5. Third Party Devs however will just like you said - use the first and most obvious Upgrade - the Zen2 CPU (read :their publishers wont spent the money on more development time)

Also, since this Gen was a Showcase of 2 diffrent tiers of Development - heavy use of low level API (GNM for PS4) vs cheaper to develop high level API usage (GNMX for PS4) , one could also picture it as : Sony First Party Studios vs Third Party Devs - i have high hopes that the Way the special Gaming SSD in PS5 is getting used by devs tells us about their low level approach on the System.
Allmost all Third Party Games either performed worse or looked worse than PS4 Exclusives. Some of the AAA Titels managed even to achieve both..
A clear sign that the System resources were not used to full extent.
I know it is not a popular opinion- but ill stick to it that many Third Party Developers did not make good use of the PS4s low level API.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x Come on my man. Every dream has come true. We are getting 8 core 16 thread CPUs. We are getting ray tracing in a console. We are getting SSDs in a console. We are getting 12 RDNA tflops. Or 18 Tahiti tflops, 15 polaris tflops. And thats just the Xbox. PS5 might even be stronger with SSD speeds up to 5GBps if Cerny is to be believed.

Dont let twitter and other pessimistic and realistic users bring you down. We are extremely excited over here and have not let the downers bring us down. Just wait for Sony first party studios, talented Capcom studios, rockstar, rocksteady, respawn and KojiPro to blow you away. These devs WILL take advantage of all that tech in ways we havent seen before.

You talked to the Horizon devs, you saw how much they had to compromise. Time for compromises is over. It will be the most significant tech leap since the PS1 to PS2. Forget ray tracing, thats just shiny graphics. CPU and SSD upgrade will let devs push the boundries in ways we havent seen before.

Just hang out in this thread, and quit twitter. We have our cross gen apologists but we dont let them bring us down. Sky is the limit man.

This.

Just imagine what Rockstar and CDPR would bring.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
They will be on the same disc.

I think you're 100% wrong about this. Hysterically, you go on to show a bunch of reasons why this would be a bad idea and yet, despite having no information supporting this being the case, you definitively believe this will happen. "They will be on the same disc.". What makes you so sure?

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it especially strange, considering that I always believed Microsoft were taking the approach of not mandating anything towards developers, not forcing them to use certain tools, letting them make 8k games if they want to, 120fps if they want to, giving them these options and choices to decide what's best for their game.

Mandating that every game supports the Xbox One potato seems to run so counter to that. Would a user buy a Series X game, be able to pop it in their Xbox One, and have it run? Is there no such thing as a 'Series X' game, they're just 'Xbox' games?
Think of it like pc games. The same game runs on a 660 and 2080 ti but looks and performs vastly different.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I understand VR and I understand it's potential... The thing is, to me, it won't have the same impact until it is fundamentally different, like a NerveGear in Swort Art Online or something. If it's done right in its current form you still have a lot of things you need to do in order for people to feel in the game. More haptics and not just hands. There's still a lot of detachment that I feel when doing VR. Not saying it's not cool but it's still a ways away from being there and when it is there it's more of a "Finally" rather than an "oh shit, I never thought of this before"...
It already is fundamentally different. It's like I said, it's one of the most unique medium transitions we've ever had. The shift from TV/movies to gaming is very comparable to a shift from gaming to VR; that's how different it is.

People are very easy to be immersed in VR because the brain fills in the missing blanks. Haptic hands will go a long way, and really not much more is needed, although I'm sure enthusiasts will use haptic suits.

You have to realize that what we actually have today with a Rift/Vive/Index/PSVR/Quest is still going to look and feel nothing like the VR in 5-10 years. There are so many areas that you can't even comprehend right now. Are you aware of how different audio itself will be, and the major impact it will have? Personal HRTFs and audio propagation will create a completely different feel to everything in VR, and that's just one of many areas that can exponentially improve. The feeling of my voice propagating in a virtual cathedral as if it were a real cathedral, or me being able to realistically whisper and distract enemies in a stealth game the same way, those are changes no one realizes are coming.

Maybe you thought of it, but 99.9% of gamers do not think about stuff like audio at that level. That 99.9% of gamers have no idea what's coming just from that alone.

Did you even think about the fact that you can use eye/face/body tracking and such to read player intent? Again, 99.9% of gamers will never have any idea! The AI that responds to these will feel very personal, as if they know and understand your digital identity.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's awful for them too! I've yet to speak with a developer that likes working on Xbox One S - so I'd imagine there is disappointment in needing to support it going forward. It's a very troubled machine.
As in, it's awful to work with that low of hardware? Or the dev environment/tooling is bad? Or a combination of that and other things?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
No we probably won't get games with the largest budget ever that is a fair guess. However you don't need even a tenth of the budget of SC to build your games around an SSD and a proper CPU and using that games budget as an argument is nothing but absurd.

It does not cost more to have a developer working with the limitations of a SSD and a basically off the shelf PC CPU in mind then a HDD and a Jaguar CPU which even DF said is unusable in a modern PC and in reality probably its significantly more costly to keep trying to push a game with new hardware as well as hardware that was outdated since forever and make both work and make it both look next gen and still playabl

People keep on pointing at SC as an example of what's possible when there is a focus on an SSD. The world and asset design is what makes the SSD a requirement. It took a lot of money to create this world (universe really) and assets. We're not getting first gen titles with that level of ambition.

Am I saying that games need to cost $200+ million to utilize the hardware? No, not at all. I'm just saying if we are going to be using examples, any examples at all, maybe we should also be trying to understand why said game requires specific hardware. That way we could have a better understanding on what to expect or hope for in the future. That's why I'm happy Dictator spoke up because having a better understanding to how these games work is more important than using it as ammo in some stupid argument.

I'm going to ignore your comment on it being more expensive to support cross gen because it's irrelevant when the addressable market is different and it's nonsense when we see how PC games scale.

I was talking about launch. There are off course third party games also pushing what is possible on the consoles and they of course wants to look as pretty and interesting as possible so people picking up a new console will choose their game to take home with it. Their goal however is not to sell consoles that is the goal of launch first party games and make the new console look as attractive as possible showing off as much of the capabilities of the new system wether people pick that up at launch or later or never is not the primary goal.

I would think that it's every Studio's hope that their game pushes hardware sales since they all benefit from a larger pool of customers. Key difference here is 3rd parties are less likely to care about which sells more.

Both MS and Sony will have premiere titles to sell their consoles at launch. Every 3rd party title will also be showing off how their games utilize these systems the best they can. I get what you're saying but I don't think exclusives carry as much weight as you're saying unless it's a key title. If GoW2 was a cross gen launch game, that would likely be more important or more of a system seller than a new, unknown IP that was a next gen exclusive. The only way I see this changing is if these next gen exclusives stand head and shoulders above the rest of the pack in some amazing way and I don't see that happening.

Yes and the same thing will be done on PS5 for the games that are crossgen? It's not exclusive to Xbox.

Sony however and it's first party games can also show of those and the new gameplay mechanics and systems that literally is impossible to run on the old hardware and not just current gen games with next gen makeup.

I never said the same can't be done on the PS5. You're the one making an argument to how MS doesn't care to show off the capabilities of their next system and I'm telling you that they do. Keep in mind, if I say something positive about the Xbox or PS, it's not a slight at the other console. It's rarely an either or situation with me or in real life.

And the idea that only Sony's exclusives can bring us next gen gameplay is nothing more than a hypothetical that can't be proven. Unless they start bringing their games to PC and require similar hardware, which they won't, there is no way to prove these games can't be done on lesser hardware. It's no different than the nonsensical argument that game A can't be done on platform B that we saw during the PS360 generation. Unless these devs have tried to do it, how do we know?

And I was talking about Microsoft CEO and his letter to shareholders and not Booty so I don't even know how to answer that.

You claimed this is the "right move for Xbox because their main goal is not to sell hardware anymore" and I'm saying that has nothing to do with it when Booty's comment clearly explains why they are doing this. They do care about selling hardware, they just know they aren't going to sell it to late adopters so why not show them some support as well?

They off course wants people to buy Xbox but the investment in new studios and heavy subsidizing of Gamepass and Xcloud is to become the Netflix of gaming (once again like Nadella have claimed is their goal) and available on as many devices as possible and not to make people buy a XsX. The same reasoning is behind the no launch next gen only games they want content on many devices instead of using it to sell one. If that is an XsX they will of course happy since they will probably not sell the hardware at a loss or if they do probably make it profitable after a game purchase or two but it's their main goal and Nadella would probably put Gamepass on PS5 in a heartbeat if Sony allowed it.

Both MS and Sony probably have similar margins for their consoles, just like both will be fighting for the same pool of ~200 million console gamers. Just because MS is diversifying their reach, that doesn't mean they are any less in it to win it on hardware. Same goes for Sony who will surely be expanding more into services as this generation goes on and would certainly love to have PS Now on the Xbox of MS allowed it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I wish I lived in the same alternate universe as some of you guys. If HZD2 is 30fps and CB, then Sony has really fucked up.
Why? What was the latest stable 60 FPS (so no uncapped frame rate mode) sony first party studio released?
As an owner of both refresh systems, I'd say it's the opposite. Both systems have been supported rather well and games running good on the Pro consoles while running poorly on the base is becoming more and more common.
I didn't say it is not better to play on them than base console.
But this list of AAA games is not that great on mid gen refresh :
  • Rage 2
  • Sekrio
  • Fallen Order
  • Control
Even good candidates have a list of problem, like DMC 5 and RE 2 (same engine).

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It already is fundamentally different. It's like I said, it's one of the most unique medium transitions we've ever had. The shift from TV/movies to gaming is very comparable to a shift from gaming to VR; that's how different it is.

People are very easy to be immersed in VR because the brain fills in the missing blanks. Haptic hands will go a long way, and really not much more is needed, although I'm sure enthusiasts will use haptic suits.

You have to realize that what we actually have today with a Rift/Vive/Index/PSVR/Quest is still going to look and feel nothing like the VR in 5-10 years. There are so many areas that you can't even comprehend right now. Are you aware of how different audio itself will be, and the major impact it will have? Personal HRTFs and audio propagation will create a completely different feel to everything in VR, and that's just one of many areas that can exponentially improve.

Maybe you thought of it, but 99.9% of gamers do not think about stuff like audio at that level. That 99.9% of gamers have no idea what's coming just from that alone.
I'm saying VR needs to change even more. Yes in 5-10 years it will be better...but there won't be a surprise moment where everyone feels that they need to shift to the medium...people know that VR is out there...it's already in the mainstream, it has commercials...they are at amusement parks. I liken it to streaming...sure it's not great now...but 5-10 years it will be really good...but it won't be mindbending because we've had it for a while and we already have an expectation of what it would and could be. (I'm not saying streaming is the same as VR in regards to gaming...I'm saying the expectation). Imagine if VR gaming went on a hiatus for 5-10 years and came back with an awesome "Mario 64" game...that would be something vs the development of the platform going on in front of us. Kinda like if Astrobot came out in 2007.

What do you think about GAASes, btw? To keep crossgen-play available many of them won't introduce game-breaking changes, I assume, so it'll be cosmetical mostly + decreased load times.

For some of them - FFXIV and War Thunder from the top of my head - it should be technically possible to add VR mode for the new consoles. We've had demos from PSVR launch times, so now it should be possible to run in production mode, no?

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
So on the rehearsal meeting in San Francisco rumours I found this random looking tweet. I was just searching for Cerny on twitter and this popped up. Photos of the San Francisco Scottish Rite Masonic Centre (which you can hire out) and the tweeter (not a usual video game poster) @'ed Cerny, Ed Boon and John Tobias.

Odd. Anyone near there want to go on a reccy? :D

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
I think the future of VR is eventual support for all titles released. If Sony can create technology that allows easy implementation of VR into any game, it'll be a game changer. We obviously don't have that kind of technology today, and probably won't for this upcoming generation, but that has to be the end goal. Not building specialized games for VR, but building tech that allows easy implementation into any game.

Sep 28, 2019
A late merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone.

Final predictions

Ps5
CPU: 8core Zen2 16threads 3.2ghz
GPU: 56 rdna cu's @1870mhz =13.4tf
RAm: 16gddr6 (3gb for os)
SSD nvme 1tb
$499

XsX
CPU: 8core Zen2 16threads 3.4ghz
GPU: 56 rdna cu's @1700mhz =12.18tf
RAm: 16gddr6 (3gb for os)
SSD nvme 1tb
$499
We just need Richard in here and we'll have the DF triumvirate.

Welcome back - i was afraid that we would have some big PS5 reveal at CES and you could not participate lol , you made it haha

We just need Richard in here and we'll have the DF triumvirate.

poor Thomas Morgan cannot get respect anymore..

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm saying VR needs to change even more. Yes in 5-10 years it will be better...but there won't be a surprise moment where everyone feels that they need to shift to the medium...people know that VR is out there...it's already in the mainstream, it has commercials...they are at amusement parks. I liken it to streaming...sure it's not great now...but 5-10 years it will be really good...but it won't be mindbending because we've had it for a while and we already have an expectation of what it would and could be. (I'm not saying streaming is the same as VR in regards to gaming...I'm saying the expectation). Imagine if VR gaming went on a hiatus for 5-10 years and came back with an awesome "Mario 64" game...that would be something vs the development of the platform going on in front of us. Kinda like if Astrobot came out in 2007.
People actually don't know VR is out there. It's very likely that less than 15% of gamers have tried VR of any kind, even Google Cardboard, and it's definitely true that mobile VR is what the majority of people who have tried it, actually used. This means that you have an incredibly small number of people that have tried high-end VR and have an idea what VR actually is today. That definition gets reset in 5-10 years where it just doesn't feel at all like today.

Commercials? Again, most people haven't seen them yet, and if they have, it means nothing because people never know what VR is like until trying it, and then they realize it was nothing like they thought. (in a good way)

You have to understand that most people won't even be trying VR for the first time until that 5-10 year mark. People are largely not technologically-inclined, they don't keep up with technology, and if they are Sci-Fi fans they tend to be pessimistic and assume they'll never see the day.

The development of VR is very much in the background, hence why hardly anyone even knows of Astro Bot's existence. Certainly many more people know about indie hits like Disco Elysium.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
That wouldn't surprise me. Maybe Dictator knows.
I wrote a response to that same post a few pages back.

TO say it shortly, SC is designed around any storage interface that is fast at rapid IO at small file sizes. Nvme and SATA SSDs perform extremely similar in that metric category, unlike in larger file sizes where they have very different performance.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So on the rehearsal meeting in San Francisco rumours I found this random looking tweet. I was just searching for Cerny on twitter and this popped up. Photos of the San Francisco Scottish Rite Masonic Centre (which you can hire out) and the tweeter (not a usual video game poster) @'ed Cerny, Ed Boon and John Tobias.

Odd. Anyone near there want to go on a reccy? :D
It's not loading for me . What did it say ?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but that's just good looking games. I don't think there will be any fundamental design changes that couldn't take place on a PS4 so soon

imagine devs have 128GB of ram for their game. Do you think that would open up unique design and gameplay opportunities?

effectively that's what fast SSDs will do - give devs access to their entire game assets without too much fuss about streaming them in or caching them.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
First party games but we'll see how it goes.

Either way, I realize that, personally, it just comes down to workload. I really don't like the idea of having to include all last-gen consoles in videos in addition to the new ones. It might be the straw that breaks my back! It's just too much.

Yeah the additional workload for you guys sucks. I'm sure you can put minimal effort or time on the last gen versions since most people will probably be most interested in next gen iterations.

Mecha Meister

This should be thread marked in regards to what's been frequently discussed here regarding how these old consoles might impact the development

You would be the one to request this. It's no secret that the XBO is a pain to work on and deal with. This isn't anything new.

As in, it's awful to work with that low of hardware? Or the dev environment/tooling is bad? Or a combination of that and other things?

It's mainly the hardware and configuration. It's the only system of the existing 4 where devs need to manage between two different memory pools. It's also the weakest console by quite a margin. Developers sometimes need to take different approaches just to get decent performance, creating more work. IIRC Wolfenstein 2 uses deferred rendering on the 1S but not the other consoles. Look at the last year or two of releases and in almost every case, the XBO is by far the worst.

I didn't say it is not better to play on them than base console.
But this list of AAA games is not that great on mid gen refresh :
  • Rage 2
  • Sekrio
  • Fallen Order
  • Control
Even good candidates have a list of problem, like DMC 5 and RE 2 (same engine).

Outside of Sekiro, I'd say every one of those games supports my point. Pretty much all of those games provides a subpar experience on the weaker consoles and easily the best way to play is on the refresh consoles. Control for example is pretty much unplayable on anything but a Pro or 1X. My buddy just got it on his PS4 and had to stop because the performance drops were too much.

Feb 10, 2018
Welcome back - i was afraid that we would have some big PS5 reveal at CES and you could not participate lol , you made it haha

Thank you, To be honest, having the past month off has been a blessing in disguise this thread has been an embarrassment.

II was particularly amused by some posters talking about me in vain even though I was not here. Never knew I got to people in this thread so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.