• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely, it looks exactly like disguising a transition behind some pointless effect or sequence. that's what we want to see an end to... that would get old in no time.

Think God of War's "fast travel" but without the portal having to load for a minute and then the second one in the transition area having to do the same thing.
These effects could be really cool if they are basically instant.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I wanna see next-gen Deep Down.

That original teaser they had back in 2013 still looks better than a lot of games give or take some clarity in texture resolution and normal maps and such.

Please I don't want to start about expressing my strong belief that Panta Rhei engine is still alive. People won't accept such creed. XD

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I wanna see next-gen Deep Down.

That original teaser they had back in 2013 still looks better than a lot of games give or take some clarity in texture resolution and normal maps and such.

I agree.

I would hope that some of the technology used in the Panta Rhei engine will be used in Monster Hunter World 2.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

2319643-1487586728-iVQYe.gif

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Is this level of in game fidelity something to be expected with next gen?

Maybe not 'proper' in-game but I wouldn't be surprised to see real-time cutscenes reach that level. If you look at the likes of Uncharted 4 the cut-scenes, though real time they have various effects implemented that you don't get in the parts of the game you control.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe not 'proper' in-game but I wouldn't be surprised to see real-time cutscenes reach that level. If you look at the likes of Uncharted 4 the cut-scenes, though real time they have various effects implemented that you don't get in the parts of the game you control.

DMC5 cut scenes are what I hope for next gen.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If he entire quote from Matt Booty might simply be a "I know we showed the xsx box but please still buy the current gen in 2020" PR

MS hardware is down more than PS but they still will want to sell some. Although they must assume X1X sales will fall off a cliff as those looking for power will hold off. Xb1S/SAD potential customers aren't xsx target anyway so maybe they just want to reassure them it's safe to buy (although buying in this late you should be buying for existing catalog not the hope you'll get 3 more years of brand new release)

I don't think it's that deep. He said

We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we're committed to them with content."

It doesn't sound like a plea to buy a current box. It sounds like he's reassuring anyone who does that they wont be abandoned like late OG Xbox and xbox 360 owners largely were. It also sounds like he's letting them know that support will likely dry up within a year of SXS dropping

Sep 28, 2019
The demo starts with a puddle that reflects the New York city skylines at night with pristine accuracy. Suddenly, a swift force swings by and causes ripples in the water, disrupting the reflection. The camera pans up to show Spider-Man landing on a skyscraper in a black suit. A lightning strikes and his reflection in the skyscraper windows flashes to its iconic red for a few seconds. Spider-Man looks closer into his reflection and ponders, "What is this?". After a second, his confusion turns to excitement. "This feels good", he exclaims and he swings off the skyscraper. We get a title card along with a Fall 2021 release date. The crowd goes wild

yeah something like this. I myself have thought out how the next Gran Turismo (or any racing game) could use the insane speed of Sonys SSD.

Imagine you start up GT 7. After a granted loadtime of the maingame itself you are on your homescreen. From there you lets say choose to make a custom race.
You press X . After you hear the click of the button you are now in track selection. Another click and you choose the Class of the cars and after doing so you see in small window on screen all cars available to you from that class driving already on that track. You go throuh the list of cars and withswitch to another car in that list the camera in the window hops to the this very car driving along others on the track you chose before.

A final click on your choosen car and the small window expands to full screeen and the race starts. Something like that ...

But i use this oppertunity to get message out to Polyphony Digital ... Dont you dare and relase the next Gen gran Turismo AGAIN with synthetic Car engine sounds. I dare you!!
There are so many games out there that show how it is done. And you with your big budget from Sony have NO excuse to NOT going for hyperrealstic audiorecorded Carsounds..
like Driveclub..

or Raceroom

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
pwnZ7Go.png

ssdbzkea.png

Star Citizen heavily leverages this portion of an SSD's speed. Not its bandwidth for large files over time (which it also uses of course), but its immediate seek speed for small files. Grabbing tons of tiny files off the disk and bringing them into RAM constantly. A Sata 3.0 SSD and higher end NVME SSD here actually have pretty similar performance even though the NVME is much faster at larger read writes. And HDD is impossibly slow at those tasks in comparison if you look at the numbers there for two 7200 RPMs in Raid 0.
And Optane absolutely blows an NVME or normal SSD out of the water in those smaller tasks. Order of magnitude.
Intel-Optane-P900-480GB-SSD-Crystal-Disk-Mark-Intel-Dvr.png

Notice how optane destroys even an Nvme SSD in 4K reads.

They have a number of posts and interviews about it scattered out over the years of behind the scenes coverage of the game, but I am also (writing it here on ResetERA first) going to be some dedicated Star Citizen coverage soon where I will have interviews regarding this stuf. I hope you guys like it.

The reason why the game focuses on that burst / parallel data grabbing from the SSD is due to its world and asset design, and not because of the physics so much so. The game's asset size in the sizte of its world is the thing that motivated them to focus on this type of game loading. How do we stop the game from stuttering with multiple ship models and worlds where each one is multiple hundreds of megabytes in memory?

Thanks, this is really fascinating. It honestly makes me wonder what the PS4 and X1 might've been like if Sony and Microsoft had been able to include some form of SSD in them back in 2013, pricey as it would've been, like 128GB or so to be used for the OS and as a cache for game data. The exact same consoles we got in terms of APU and RAM, but with this huge improvement to storage speed and seek times.

I suppose our best chance of seeing something like this now is the Switch 2. That's gonna need an SSD if they have any chance of getting ports of next-gen games to the system.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of the most beautiful games this gen.
And this was achieved on some mdeiocre to bad tier hardware. Next gen gonna destroy our minds
I was personally blown away this gen graphically, even at questionable performance sometimes. I legit think games like Driveclub, SOTC or Days Gone sometimes managed to even slightly bleed outside this generation, even further.

CompetentGreedyBantamrooster-size_restricted.gif

I absolutely cannot wait.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was personally blown away this gen graphically, even at questionable performance sometimes. I legit think games like Driveclub, SOTC or Days Gone sometimes managed to even slightly bleed outside this generation, even further.

CompetentGreedyBantamrooster-size_restricted.gif

I absolutely cannot wait.
Imagine something like Death Stranding but made exclusively for PS5.....that would be something else considering how amazing that looks on PS4 Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Demon's Souls will be PS5 only.

Zhuge spoke about Sony deciding whether to go cross or next gen only with a few unannounced games, and I think they made the decision to go next gen only in time enough to take advantage of PS5 hardware.

Demon's Souls gonna be crazy.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Zhuge spoke about Sony deciding whether to go cross or next gen only with a few unannounced games, and I think they made the decision to go next gen only in time enough to take advantage of PS5 hardware.

It definitely is, otherwise Sony wouldn't have treated it with white gloves. It was one of the first (if not the the first) PS5 games publicly mentioned by Sony.
I expect it to be a launch title.

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Is there a link for Zhuge's quote? Jist for curiosity.

Anyway, i expect DS on PS5 to lool good, but it doesn't look to me to be the type of game that pushes tech forward, especially considering the Souls games are rather conservatives under that aspect.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Motorstorm gameplay with Driveclub+ graphics. Please!
That would be amazing. Loved how when driving on dirt your tires left tracks. Now with better CPUs can you imagine what they could do with the track? You wouldn't leave just one dirt track but continuously driving can make it deeper, cause hazards for other vehicles. Hell, I love the weather engine in DC and the water droplets interacted with the car.
Can you picture open world games where the rain actually interacts with the characters it is falling on instead of being static? That is what I want to see the most, proper weather that actually interacts with everything in the world.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
pwnZ7Go.png

ssdbzkea.png

Star Citizen heavily leverages this portion of an SSD's speed. Not its bandwidth for large files over time (which it also uses of course), but its immediate seek speed for small files. Grabbing tons of tiny files off the disk and bringing them into RAM constantly. A Sata 3.0 SSD and higher end NVME SSD here actually have pretty similar performance even though the NVME is much faster at larger read writes. And HDD is impossibly slow at those tasks in comparison if you look at the numbers there for two 7200 RPMs in Raid 0.
And Optane absolutely blows an NVME or normal SSD out of the water in those smaller tasks. Order of magnitude.

They have a number of posts and interviews about it scattered out over the years of behind the scenes coverage of the game, but I am also (writing it here on ResetERA first) going to be some dedicated Star Citizen coverage soon where I will have interviews regarding this stuf. I hope you guys like it.

The reason why the game focuses on that burst / parallel data grabbing from the SSD is due to its world and asset design, and not because of the physics so much so. The game's asset size in the sizte of its world is the thing that motivated them to focus on this type of game loading. How do we stop the game from stuttering with multiple ship models and worlds where each one is multiple hundreds of megabytes in memory?

This is interesting and it will probably a different usage of the SDD than on console. The people optimizing data file for console will do it differenly than Star Citizen.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still miffed that sony axed Evolution Studios and Guerilla Cambridge. Killzone Mercenaries and Drive Club were awesome.

Cambridge could've rebooted Killzone for the PS5 and Evolution could work at a burnout x Motorstorm Apocalypse racing game... At worst evolution could've helped polyphony with Gran Tusimo.

Shaking my head.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
This is interesting and it will probably a different usage of the SDD than on console. The people optimizing data file for console will do it differenly than Star Citizen.

How did you come to this conclusion? I actually think it's a given that Sony and Microsoft are going to use the SSD in ways other than just simple read and write speeds.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sony will use Horizon 2 to showcase the power of PS5, I'm confident we'll get a chunky demo, GG have been working longer on their next game than the other studios.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
How did you come to this conclusion? I actually think it's a given that Sony and Microsoft are going to use the SSD in ways other than just simple read and write speeds.
They will but not necessarily the same way as SC.

Now Bethesda on the other hand with their large worlds like Fallout, Elder Scroll and the upcoming Starfield would be very exciting.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still miffed that sony axed Evolution Studios and Guerilla Cambridge. Killzone Mercenaries and Drive Club were awesome.

Cambridge could've rebooted Killzone for the PS5 and Evolution could work at a burnout x Motorstorm Apocalypse racing game... At worst evolution could've helped polyphony with Gran Tusimo.

Shaking my head.
I think Evo closure was due to them missing deadlines constantly. At least I remember hearing something like that.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be different depending on the needs of the game :D

Not every game has Star Citizens requirements or design :)
Would you agree that with faster SSDs becoming a baseline that game design could fundamentally change? Level complexity, artificial corridors, dynamism, etc. could all be impacted?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think it will be different depending on the needs of the game :D

Not every game has Star Citizens requirements or design :)

I agree.

Wait and see I doubt Console game will have the same design like Star Ctiizen.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Low key next gen console talk has me super hyped for DDR5, Ryzen 4000 @ 5ghz, and future PC SSDs. In 2023 I'll be able to do native 8k gaming :D.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Short term, MS' approach with games across multiple platforms helps with keeping the userbase active. But it surely has limited time where it is effective before it starts to hold back XSX games - the timing we can disagree on but hopefully we can agree they need to move forward at some point.

Do we think there is an opportunity for MS to keep hold of those XB1 users by eventually providing xcloud for XSX-only games? I know that has its own issues with internet availbility/caps etc but it would be a good way to maintain a large userbase while you slowly get them to migrate to new hardware over time?

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
fun trivia fact: R6 Siege is pretty much the only game where Havok FX (which was final name of this solution) was used; which ended up being more of a CPU based thing in the end. So that bouncing blue balls demo was all that it was, a tech-demo. Source: I know the guy who worked on it pretty well :P
Interesting info, thanks. Yes, it was a GPGPU demo at the end of the day. It was up to devs on how to use it. And you can see countless games this gen put PS4's GPGPU functionality to good use: one e.g. off the top of my head is the Uncharted 4's incredible physics simulation which ran on the GPU along with AI work likely using asynchronous compute engines.

I'd love them to show off something similar to that of Havok's physics demo but instead this time running on the CPU, and what kind of leap we're getting compared to the PS4's Jaguar. Sony needed GPGPU capability because they knew the CPU was extremely slow inside PS4. I hope the tasks that typically handled on the CPU - again moves back to the CPU and frees up resources on the GPU for more advanced rendering features from next-gen.

Would like to see this level of hustle and bustle with dense NPCs on-screen in open-worlds and then some.
2504401-6535952199-ip9VU.gif

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Hopefully by 2022 (at the latest) Microsoft will stop supporting Xbox One family and Jaguar.

Would I like it if Microsoft stopped supporting Xbox One and Jaguar in 2021? Sure. I'm just going with what they've recently said about 1-2 years.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Short term, MS' approach with games across multiple platforms helps with keeping the userbase active. But it surely has limited time where it is effective before it starts to hold back XSX games - the timing we can disagree on but hopefully we can agree they need to move forward at some point.

Do we think there is an opportunity for MS to keep hold of those XB1 users by eventually providing xcloud for XSX-only games? I know that has its own issues with internet availbility/caps etc but it would be a good way to maintain a large userbase while you slowly get them to migrate to new hardware over time?
Yes.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Hopefully by 2022 (at the latest) Microsoft will stop supporting Xbox One family and Jaguar.

Would I like it if Microsoft stopped supporting Xbox One and Jaguar in 2021? Sure. I'm just going with what they've recently said about 1-2 years.

I bet that if the thing about no Series X exclusives for a while after launch is true, the first ones will come a year after launch to drive Holiday sales in 2021.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
pwnZ7Go.png

ssdbzkea.png

This is one area where RERAM could be a real game changer.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

They said 1-2 years from the time the comment was made (Nov 2019) releases will support all platforms. So we are looking at nov 2021 at the latest.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Is there a link for Zhuge's quote? Jist for curiosity.

Anyway, i expect DS on PS5 to lool good, but it doesn't look to me to be the type of game that pushes tech forward, especially considering the Souls games are rather conservatives under that aspect.
www.resetera.com

Possible first image of Assassins Creed Ragnarok leaked

For what it’s worth. All of the new AC leaks so far have been incorrect. It’s not even called Ragnarok. Sure. Some of the details are right. Like improved combat or whatever. But in general they’re not that accurate.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
pwnZ7Go.png

ssdbzkea.png

That was an excellent post Alex. Now I'm waiting for the video :)

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
The next couple of reveal moments like PS meeting or E3 is going to be weird with the wording for games.

Announcement game:

Exclusive for PS5
Exclusive for SX
Exclusive for PS4 & PS5
Exclusive for SX, X and One
First on PS5
First on PS4 & 5
First on SX
First on SX, X and One
Releasing on PS5, SX and PC
Releasing on PS4, PS5, SX, X, One and PC

This will be the norm with an ecosystem like MS is planning and i dont expect Sony to not support the PS4 anymore for at least the first year.
And then we got the timed exclusives. And maybe cross-gen games will have different content and features on next-gen.
And maybe even games releasing on One, X and PS4 and not on the next gen consoles. And dont get me started on Pre-orders and extra content like Ubisoft does.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The next couple of reveal moments like PS meeting or E3 is going to be weird with the wording for games.

Announcement game:

Exclusive for PS5
Exclusive for SX
Exclusive for PS4 & PS5
Exclusive for SX, X and One
First on PS5
First on PS4 & 5
First on SX
First on SX, X and One
Releasing on PS5, SX and PC
Releasing on PS4, PS5, SX, X, One and PC

This will be the norm with an ecosystem like MS is planning and i dont expect Sony to not support the PS4 anymore for at least the first year.
And then we got the timed exclusives. And maybe cross-gen games will have different content and features on next-gen.
And maybe even games releasing on One, X and PS4 and not on the next gen consoles. And dont get me started on Pre-orders and extra content like Ubisoft does.
I don't think it will be that complicated. You can see Halo is branded as simply « Xbox exclusive »

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
So, has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about possible spec leaks from CES, like what we got last time around?
I know one thing, there is no way in hell GDC 2020 (March) isn't leaking everything that we don't know by that point. Just in case Sony or MS are going to be coy regarding things like CU count or clock speeds, we will get all that info from one source or another during GDC 2020 no matter what :)

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This. I want to hear his opinion.
I do too. I think it's disingenuous rhetoric to suggest Sony focusing on an ultra fast SSD is purely an attempt to mitigate loading. There are potential real world implications here that could impact run time, game design, and level of detail.

PlayStation 5 is designed around it's SSD after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.