• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I don't think the Bluepoint game will be cross-gen with how they talked about it in the last Wired article and i also expect that this game is one of the PS5 Only that Jason Schreier know about it.
The Bluepoint game can be cross-gen pretty easily considering whatever it is, it's based on a PS1, PS2 or a PS3 game so an old game with prettier graphics can easily run on both PS4 and PS5 with different graphics fidelity.

Dec 8, 2018
If he entire quote from Matt Booty might simply be a "I know we showed the xsx box but please still buy the current gen in 2020" PR

MS hardware is down more than PS but they still will want to sell some. Although they must assume X1X sales will fall off a cliff as those looking for power will hold off. Xb1S/SAD potential customers aren't xsx target anyway so maybe they just want to reassure them it's safe to buy (although buying in this late you should be buying for existing catalog not the hope you'll get 3 more years of brand new release)

So saying that all your games will run up and down in an interview about the new console and that two years from this November does actually mean perhaps not even a single years since the console might even release before middle of November....

That is a hot take if I have heard one that MS head of first party wants to deceive there customers so they can buy a Xbox one because that is what they want and not for them to save it for their next gen devices.

images

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
My #1 prediction for the Sony PS5 reveal event, Spider-man 2 trailer or demo that has a scene where Spider-man is reflected in a glass building using RT reflections :)
tumblr_lzzjle825v1r7sptho1_1280.jpg

I also predict that at some point, they will use a puddle reflection close up just for shits and giggles after all that puddlegate thing.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
My #1 prediction for the Sony PS5 reveal event, Spider-man 2 trailer or demo that has a scene where Spider-man is reflected in a glass building using RT reflections :)

I also predict that at some point, they will use a puddle reflection close up just for shits and giggles after all that puddlegate thing.
lol

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Isn't it abit early for next Spider-Man tease? As for puddles , haha yea I can see insomniac doing it. It's up their alley these kinda humor 😂

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Isn't it abit early for next Spider-Man tease? As for puddles , haha yea I can see insomniac doing it. It's up their alley these kinda humor 😂
I think Sony will use Spider-man as some kind of proof of concept for the SSD. It will only be a year plus in development, but it will probably be just a tech demo. Remember Dreams and Deepdown in the 2013 PS4 reveal? It's not like Sony is shy about showing games in early development :)

I think Sony will use Spider-man to show off the SSD and GT to show off RT. I'm still trying to think about what they will use to show off the CPU, maybe KZ or Horizon?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Nah Resistance will resurface instead.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So saying that all your games will run up and down in an interview about the new console and that two years from this November does actually mean perhaps not even a single years since the console might even release before middle of November....

That is a hot take if I have heard one that MS head of first party wants to deceive there customers so they can buy a Xbox one because that is what they want and not for them to save it for their next gen devices.

images

he said one or two years. So a range. And yes - it wouldn't be surprising to hear MS talk about things in a way to try and minimise impact to current gen HW sales. Doesn't seem surprising to me?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The Bluepoint game can be cross-gen pretty easily considering whatever it is, it's based on a PS1, PS2 or a PS3 game so an old game with prettier graphics can easily run on both PS4 and PS5 with different graphics fidelity.

What makes you think this is a simple reskin that can easily scale?
They've said that this is their most ambitious project yet. For all we know it could be a complete reimagining that was built from the ground up specifically for next gen?
Not saying it will be, but saying it can be cross-gen pretty easily without knowing the scope of the project isn't a sure thing either.

Dec 8, 2018

How about Spider-Man fighting Mysterio and using illusion to completely change how NYC looks when Spider-Man gets hit or as boss phases showing of the speed of the SSD 🤪

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It is built around the 4k burst data capabilizies of storage, not raw bandwidth. Moving many tiny files very rapidly in parallel - something ssds can do and hdds cannot (look at the 4k result in crystal Mark benches)

This thread is way too focused on raw bandwidth and is not thinking at all about multithreaded i/o capabilizies of ssds.

SC runs best on Optane, something better than nvme

Thanks. I didn't know the exact specifics of how that worked. Makes me want ReRAM in the PS5 even more, unlikely as it may be.

Also, I promise I know there's more to SSDs than just raw bandwidth. In a post right above I mentioned the removal of seek times, though in that case I was thinking about how it can remove the need for data duplication as stated by Cerny in the second Wired article - is it also responsible for the rapid tiny-file transfer that you're talking about, or is that caused by some other benefit of the flash memory?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Nah Resistance will resurface instead.
They have over 13.2 million reasons to make Spider-man 2 next :)
I'm also pretty sure the team is super excited to make another Spider-man now that they've nailed the mechanics and they've just got a powerful CPU, bigger memory pool and an SSD. I can't see this team working on anything but a new Spider-man. Maybe their other team is working on R&C or Resistance, but I'm 100% sure the Spider-man team is working a Spider-man game - sales, hype and new available tech all point to another Spider-man.

What makes you think this is a simple reskin that can easily scale?
They've said that this is their most ambitious project yet. For all we know it could be a complete reimagining that was built from the ground up specifically for next gen?
Not saying it will be, but saying it can be cross-gen pretty easily without knowing the scope of the project isn't a sure thing either.
Could be, but considering SOTC was basically the PS3 port of SOTC running with new visuals on top, any upgrade which isn't of a graphical only nature will probably make it their most ambitious project yet. So I'm not really sure what it means, it's RE2 Remake like thing or just taking an existing game and improving the mechanics along with the graphical overhaul? I guess we will have to wait and see, hopefully, wait juts a few weeks :)

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The demo starts with a puddle that reflects the New York city skylines at night with pristine accuracy. Suddenly, a swift force swings by and causes ripples in the water, disrupting the reflection. The camera pans up to show Spider-Man landing on a skyscraper in a black suit. A lightning strikes and his reflection in the skyscraper windows flashes to its iconic red for a few seconds. Spider-Man looks closer into his reflection and ponders, "What is this?". After a second, his confusion turns to excitement. "This feels good", he exclaims and he swings off the skyscraper. We get a title card along with a Fall 2021 release date. The crowd goes wild

Dec 8, 2018
he said one or two years. So a range. And yes - it wouldn't be surprising to hear MS talk about things in a way to try and minimise impact to current gen HW sales. Doesn't seem surprising to me?

You are making MS and Xbox sound like some con artists. But take a look at what was said in the interview:

"But Booty agrees with us when we propose that this will be a very different kind of console launch, with first-party games being compatible across all Microsoft's hardware, existing and new, ending the usual platform reset we've seen in the past with such launches."

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,"

Does this sound like it's not including the launch of the new console?

The interview is about the new console and he still say two years when he know the launch is within one year.

If this sound like someone just trying to sell the current generation hardware I have a bridge to sell to you.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The demo starts with a puddle that reflects the New York city skylines at night with pristine accuracy. Suddenly, a swift force swings by and causes ripples in the water, disrupting the reflection. The camera pans up to show Spider-Man landing on a skyscraper in a black suit. A lightning strikes and his reflection in the skyscraper windows flashes to its iconic red for a few seconds. Spider-Man looks closer into his reflection and ponders, "What is this?". After a second, his confusion turns to excitement. "This feels good", he exclaims and he swings off the skyscraper. We get a title card along with a Fall 2021 release date. The crowd goes wild

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They have over 13.2 million reasons to make Spider-man 2 next :)
I'm also pretty sure the team is super excited to make another Spider-man now that they've nailed the mechanics and they've just got a powerful CPU, bigger memory pool and an SSD. I can't see this team working on anything but a new Spider-man. Maybe their other team is working on R&C or Resistance, but I'm 100% sure the Spider-man team is working a Spider-man game - sales, hype and new available tech all point to another Spider-man.

I'd like to see a complete remake of the Resistance Trilogy and a 4th game.

However, Spider-Man was such a huge hit it's almost guaranteed that they are working on the sequel next.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I implied Spider-Man won't happen. Read my next post.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely does. To refresh your memory, your argument was that "there's literally nothing preventing a crossgen developer from using the remaining computational power to ADD things that were impossible in the previous gen version." And your example of this being done was Forza Horizon 2.

But FH2 didn't have things added by a crossgen developer. The developer made a nextgen-only version, precisely so they could add things that were otherwise impossible. Then an entire other studio had to be paid to make a different game, under the same title, focusing solely on the existing gen. That's a clear and definitive counterexample to your claim that the result could be obtained by "a crossgen developer".

But we don't need evidence of any kind to say that the money COULD have gone to another nextgen project. The publisher's marketing plan, managerial whim, etc. are orthogonal factors.

Incorrect. An array of agents that take distribution of resources from a limited pool is the definition of zero sum. Or are you suggesting that Xbox has a literally infinite amount of money to spend?

I do take your point that endusers aren't really privy to these sorts of decisions, so you'll never hear such reapportioning given as reasoning behind customer purchase decisions. Nevertheless, whether we know about a platform's spending choices or not, they do exist, and they directly affect the audience's experience for good or ill.

I have to look up a lot of words when reading your posts, but learning new stuff is always fun. Keep trucking 👍

Dec 8, 2018

giphy.gif

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Unless it's more of a remake than a remaster and there's design decisions made that prevent that. Not likely, but not impossible either, afterall they said it's their most ambitious yet. I don't think it's simply a reskin, It'll be a showcase.
Nah that's unacceptable. Too long.
Definitely, it looks exactly like disguising a transition behind some pointless effect or sequence. that's what we want to see an end to... that would get old in no time.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies but cross posting from the Xbox Booty thread as it's relevant for both platforms

there are multiple phases/stages depending where you are in development, and how risk averse you are - third parties likely to want to maintain previous customers for as longs as is financially viable, first parties will be more willing to move on to push the new platform uptake

- you're nearly done with your current gen game. Release it and BC will ensure new console owners can play it.
- you're in the middle of development for previous console. Continue to release, if You have devkits in time consider updating for new console to get new Console owners to buy in. If not, they can play via BC
- older gen is still big. develop one engine, focus on new console and scale down the settings for older console. Release two versions of game
- older gen still viable but your new design is ambitious. Develop for new console, consider contracting a separate company to deveomanport for older consoles
- older gen is losing activity. Develop new franchises for new consoles, contract out/reskin older versions of yearly sports franchises while costs still allow a reasonable return on investment
- older gen no longer active - stop publishing on previous gen.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely does. To refresh your memory, your argument was that "there's literally nothing preventing a crossgen developer from using the remaining computational power to ADD things that were impossible in the previous gen version." And your example of this being done was Forza Horizon 2.

But FH2 didn't have things added by a crossgen developer. The developer made a nextgen-only version, precisely so they could add things that were otherwise impossible. Then an entire other studio had to be paid to make a different game, under the same title, focusing solely on the existing gen. That's a clear and definitive counterexample to your claim that the result could be obtained by "a crossgen developer".
It's not a counter example at all. MS delivered a cross gen game - The next gen version wasn't hampered by the old gen one.. The logistical path used to achieve this is their perogative. They took what assets, code, and design language could be shared between both versions, then branched development to suit the unique needs and capabilities of each platform. That's called making a good port. As a consumer, who cares if all the work is done in house or not? Playground hired the good help and got it done. Outsourcing port duty is common.

But we don't need evidence of any kind to say that the money COULD have gone to another nextgen project. The publisher's marketing plan, managerial whim, etc. are orthogonal factors.

Again, none of this is any of our business. You PRESUME that the FH2 360 budget would have instead gone to next gen dev... it could have stayed in MS pockets and gone to nothing. It could have gone to a completely independent 360 game. Or a PC only game. All these hypothetical possibilities are 1) unknowable and 2) irrelevant to the fact that developers can deliver cross-gen games that take proper advantage of all platforms.

Incorrect. An array of agents that take distribution of resources from a limited pool is the definition of zero sum. Or are you suggesting that Xbox has a literally infinite amount of money to spend?

No I'm not suggesting this at all. I'm suggesting that if Microsoft is mulling two investments, calculates how much each will cost and decides that doing both of them will yield the most desirable results, then they will fund both of them.

Whether this would require exceeding what's already available in a limited pool, or if their was enough surplus in the pool to support both projects is both unknowable and irrelevant. The assumption that the budget of one actual gaming project is intrinsically tied to the budget of other, hypothetical and unrelated gaming projects is deeply flawed.

Whether or not a project gets funded will depend on whether or not the pitch sells the value of the project.

I do take your point that endusers aren't really privy to these sorts of decisions, so you'll never hear such reapportioning given as reasoning behind customer purchase decisions. Nevertheless, whether we know about a platform's spending choices or not, they do exist, and they directly affect the audience's experience for good or ill.

And the presumption that the audience is being negatively affected is baseless. In the case of Forza Horizon 2, we know that 360 and Xbox One players alike got to play an excellent racer on their respective platforms. We can hypothesize about what could have been had the 360 version not existed but all of that is immaterial. We could have gotten nothing at all in its place. Or a crappy game. Or a cancelled game. Who knows.

Last edited:

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
When first party developers last released a game a few years ago, say 3-4 years ago, what are the chances they could release a launch day/launch window game?

Also, when a new generation is on the horizon, I wonder how long in advance first party studios get access to at least general specs so they can start the base work for their next gen games.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
I'm still trying to think about what they will use to show off the CPU, maybe KZ or Horizon?
Maybe a nice tech demo showcasing destruction physics simulation, etc. running on the CPU will be amazing. Sony doesn't shy away from showcasing tech demos. Remember Mark Cerny showed Havok's million objects physics simulation to show what the PS4's GPU is capable of or the Unreal Elemental tech demo with GPU accelerated particle systems at PS Meeting 2013. Exciting times ahead.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Maybe a nice tech demo showcasing destruction physics simulation, etc. running on the CPU will be amazing. Sony doesn't shy away from showcasing tech demos. Remember Mark Cerny showed Havok's million objects physics simulation to show what the PS4's GPU is capable of or the Unreal Elemental tech demo with GPU accelerated particle systems at PS Meeting 2013. Exciting times ahead.
KZ2 had a pretty high emphasis on destruction, maybe we will get a KZ game with loads of gameplay-related destruction.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is this level of in game fidelity something to be expected with next gen?

Sorry, if I am repeating myself:

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Yeah, any number of possible things to announce at that point... - Planned expansion to more countries and devices - Planned expansion of the library - What to expect out of PS5 hardware being added to the service - Changes to how the service itself functions I do wish we knew how the Now move...

I dont think it will match that, but i imagine it will get close with some tricks.

The only things that can't be achieved ingame are the intricate features I mentioned, (and still they can still be achieved during cutscenes, talking about those small details). There is literally nothing in those trailers that skilled devs can't come close to and any 3D dev or expert who has a knowledge of CGI can tell you the same.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
pwnZ7Go.png

ssdbzkea.png

Star Citizen heavily leverages this portion of an SSD's speed. Not its bandwidth for large files over time (which it also uses of course), but its immediate seek speed for small files. Grabbing tons of tiny files off the disk and bringing them into RAM constantly. A Sata 3.0 SSD and higher end NVME SSD here actually have pretty similar performance even though the NVME is much faster at larger read writes. And HDD is impossibly slow at those tasks in comparison if you look at the numbers there for two 7200 RPMs in Raid 0.
And Optane absolutely blows an NVME or normal SSD out of the water in those smaller tasks. Order of magnitude.
Intel-Optane-P900-480GB-SSD-Crystal-Disk-Mark-Intel-Dvr.png

Notice how optane destroys even an Nvme SSD in 4K reads.
Thanks. I didn't know the exact specifics of how that worked. Makes me want ReRAM in the PS5 even more, unlikely as it may be.

Also, I promise I know there's more to SSDs than just raw bandwidth. In a post right above I mentioned the removal of seek times, though in that case I was thinking about how it can remove the need for data duplication as stated by Cerny in the second Wired article - is it also responsible for the rapid tiny-file transfer that you're talking about, or is that caused by some other benefit of the flash memory?
Do you have any guess (or knowledge) about whether this is just how they happened to build their tech, or is it something inherent in the processing they're doing? How likely is it that different games--which don't have the same requirements for physics, persistence, etc.--would require the same sort of burst access, to do other technical tasks?
They have a number of posts and interviews about it scattered out over the years of behind the scenes coverage of the game, but I am also (writing it here on ResetERA first) going to be some dedicated Star Citizen coverage soon where I will have interviews regarding this stuf. I hope you guys like it.

The reason why the game focuses on that burst / parallel data grabbing from the SSD is due to its world and asset design, and not because of the physics so much so. The game's asset size in the sizte of its world is the thing that motivated them to focus on this type of game loading. How do we stop the game from stuttering with multiple ship models and worlds where each one is multiple hundreds of megabytes in memory?

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

I hope it isn't if it truly is a Demon's Souls remake. Can you picture the Flamelurker fight with RT and next-gen flame graphics and physics that isn't constrained by having the team also need to work on a down scale port.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
In the mid 2000s, I thought this Nike commercial had incredible animations, even better than the CG target render used to hype Madden 06 for Xbox 360 in 2005.

Ignore the terrible quality of this video (focus on the animations).

vs

Edit: the point is, I want to see animation and physics improve massively for sports games (and all games), and I'm sure they will thanks to the massive uplift in CPU performance we're getting.

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Remember Mark Cerny showed Havok's million objects physics simulation to show what the PS4's GPU is capable of

fun trivia fact: R6 Siege is pretty much the only game where Havok FX (which was final name of this solution) was used; which ended up being more of a CPU based thing in the end. So that bouncing blue balls demo was all that it was, a tech-demo. Source: I know the guy who worked on it pretty well :P

Dec 8, 2018
Apologies but cross posting from the Xbox Booty thread as it's relevant for both platforms

there are multiple phases/stages depending where you are in development, and how risk averse you are - third parties likely to want to maintain previous customers for as longs as is financially viable, first parties will be more willing to move on to push the new platform uptake

- you're nearly done with your current gen game. Release it and BC will ensure new console owners can play it.
- you're in the middle of development for previous console. Continue to release, if You have devkits in time consider updating for new console to get new Console owners to buy in. If not, they can play via BC
- older gen is still big. develop one engine, focus on new console and scale down the settings for older console. Release two versions of game
- older gen still viable but your new design is ambitious. Develop for new console, consider contracting a separate company to deveomanport for older consoles
- older gen is losing activity. Develop new franchises for new consoles, contract out/reskin older versions of yearly sports franchises while costs still allow a reasonable return on investment
- older gen no longer active - stop publishing on previous gen.

There is a reason why first party games always have been the ones pushing the new tech the hardest and it's simply because they are meant to sell the new hardware and show what it's capable of compared to the old one. Third party games are not meant to sell hardware they only care about how many games they sell and usually are the same games as last gen just a bit prettier to maximize games sold on both hardware.

Xbox have decided that they this gen, compared to basically every other console manufacturer through history, don't need any games that show the complete capabilities of their new device to the best of their abilities. This move was decided many years ago just as Sony's to instead abandon the old hardware and focus on the new for their upcoming games even if that might mean less games sold.

It probably is the right move for Xbox because their main goal is not to sell hardware anymore but instead get people to use their services regardless of what device they use and a user playing on a Xbox is as important as someone playing on mobile precisely as Nadella says in his letter to the shareholders.

It does however mean we have one of the two console manufacturers who usually are the ones pushing next gen games and technologies the hardest build their games around at this point severely outdated hardware.

Basically it's not about risks it's about your vision. Sony and the vision of the PS5 is to move people over to the new gen hardware as fast as possible and they see exclusive new gen games and pushing the hardware (as they always have) as their way of obtaining that vision and it probably is a good strategy.

Xbox vision is as many people as possible using their services on any device and that mean they don't have to sell the new hardware the same way Sony does and can instead develop games to target as many people as possible and therefor this is probably a good strategy for them.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna see next-gen Deep Down.

That original teaser they had back in 2013 still looks better than a lot of games give or take some clarity in texture resolution and normal maps and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.