• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
IYou gotta be trolling with this comment um what? Lol
How is it trolling? You have one company (via Jason at Kotaku) making exclusive next-gen games and haven't shown anything yet, and you have another company that's publicly stated all first-party games are going to be cross-gen for the first year or two and who have shown footage of a game.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I can definitely agree with those John Linneman tweets. His concerns are valid and I share them. I am not going to lose sleep over it though.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I personally expect 3rd party pubs to be eager to push towards next-gen exclusivity earlier than happened in the last generational transition, for anything that isn't a new game in an existing GAAS IP franchise.

I think that will depend on a lot of things. Sports and COD games are likely to be supported for a couple years into next gen. I think most new IPs will be next gen exclusive so they have a chance to make a name on the new platforms and owners of that platform hungry for new content.

I think on average we'll see most publishers supporting current gen consoles for a year or two after the start of next gen. 150+ million plus install base will be hard to ignore, plus there is always Switch support to consider.

I can't fathom how you'd possibly determine this.

Do you have an Excel spreadsheet tracking users who have expressed concern about cross-gen on XSX and have also expressed a lack of intention of purchasing an XSX?

You don't really have to look that hard. It's easy to see who's historically focused on one or both platforms in the past. Can't speak for everyone voicing concern, especially since I used to be one of them, but there are a handful who have shown no interest in the SX, outside of how the PS5 may compare to it, that are now really interested in their future 1st party offerings.

It is quite obvious. We already saw how mid gen refresh console are treated by most third party devs. Most of the times poorly, sometimes one as a reasonable version and rarely the two.
Each dev will spent the same time for each brand, not for each console. So the more you have console in your brand, the less it will be optimised for them.

As an owner of both refresh systems, I'd say it's the opposite. Both systems have been supported rather well and games running good on the Pro consoles while running poorly on the base is becoming more and more common.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I can definitely agree with those John Linneman tweets. His concerns are valid and I share them. I am not going to lose sleep over it though.

I hope no one is losing sleep over consoles, even the people involved from the Microsoft/Sony side as well. I think what is a bit frustrating is the people that dismiss it as if it's not a concern at all. Those Jaguar CPUs were not that great when the consoles came out in 2013. It's 2020!

You don't really have to look that hard. It's easy to see who's historically focused on one or both platforms in the past. Can't speak for everyone voicing concern, especially since I used to be one of them, but there are a handful who have shown no interest in the SX, outside of how the PS5 may compare to it, that are now really interested in their future 1st party offerings.

This does not matter and is completely irrelevant. One doesn't have to be a fan of Xbox or PlayStation to judge a decision each company is making. All comments like "there's so much concern for people who don't seem to care about Xbox games" is such lazy commentary.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
The obvious reason for this is the assimilation of recently purchased studios into their roadmap not an unwillingness to create exclusive content for their new system. Outside of Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator there isn't much in their XGS lineup this year that makes any sense to wall off to a new system. Would it really move the needle for you if Battletoads, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, Ori, or Minecraft Dungeons were XSX exclusives?

New large scale projects from these studios are a ways off and most of the games in the chamber are stop gap content. That isn't an indictment of the quality, just that is where XGS is at right now. There is nothing stopping them from having third parties ready to go with exclusive launch titles and I'm willing to be you will see exactly that.

To me this is all nothing more than an open admission, one that they have been incredibly transparent about for a while, that XGS is till ramping up and they just aren't at full speed yet.

I think the concerns are reasonable when it comes to Halo Infinite, but Ill take them at their word that it will utilize the new hardware until I see the game in action.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I am asking for examples of XSX being constrained while a PS5 game isn't constrained because that seems to be the point your making.

XSX games have to run on the original Xbox One, at least for a little while. Those PS5 exclusives, whatever they are, won't be constrained by the limitations of the PS4. I don't understand why you need examples of this.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Ok yeah this makes sense. Realistically, how many first party games that will launch in the next two years will be "bad" games solely because they didn't make design choices based on next-gen hardware?

First party cross gen games? I'm not saying any of them will be bad, they might each and every one of them be GOAT material.

That's not what the problem is. The problem is the lack of first party games that are next gen exclusive that will make use of the hardware.

I was Beyond hyped to learn of the XsX specs only to have that hype be completely deflated by their decision to have their games be cross gen for the first two years.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The obvious reason for this is the assimilation of recently purchased studios into their roadmap not an unwillingness to create exclusive content for their new system. Outside of Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator there isn't much in their XGS lineup this year that makes any sense to wall off to a new system. Would it really move the needle for you if Battletoads, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, Ori, or Minecraft Dungeons were XSX exclusives?

New large scale projects from these studios are a ways off and most of the games in the chamber are stop gap content. That isn't an indictment of the quality, just that is where XGS is at right now. There is nothing stopping them from having third parties ready to go with exclusive launch titles and I'm willing to be you will see exactly that.

To me this is all nothing more than an open admission, one that they have been incredibly transparent about for a while, that XGS is till ramping up and they just aren't at full speed yet.

I think the concerns are reasonable when it comes to Halo Infinite, but Ill take them at their word that it will utilize the new hardware until I see the game in action.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking too. Because if this were a core strategy of Xbox going forward, it wouldn't be just one or two years. They've bought a lot of studios over the past couple of years and it takes a while to get up to speed, especially with large AAA games.

Nov 11, 2017
No offense to Dark1x But I don't think MS is suggesting they will be funding games today with the xbox one as the baseline. They've had several titles in development for years which include halo/everwild. Those games will hit xbox one, because they were built with xbox one in mind, I can't get behind them arbitrarily creating faux exclusivity to satisfy new boxes. I doubt hellblade 2 is being funded as an xbox one title at this point.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
How is it trolling? You have one company (via Jason at Kotaku) making exclusive next-gen games and haven't shown anything yet, and you have another company that's publicly stated all first-party games are going to be cross-gen for the first year or two and who have shown footage of a game.

I am currently playing through GeoW 5 and its real time in-engine cutscenes are simply staggering to behold. The caveat is that it is running at 30fps as opposed to the gameplay at 60.

The interior cinematic we saw of Halo Infinite was running at 60 and looks equally impressive if not more (hard to tell given we have seen such a small environment with characters interacting in it). So, while it most likely may end up looking similar during in-engine cutscenes on One X, no one knows what compensations may have to be made. All in all, it definitely looks like a cross gen title that looks better than most current gen titles, esp. considering its framerate, but not as impressive as Hellblade 2's in-engine cinematic running at 30fps (at least the video was).

Did I say everyone? That means I didn't say you're mind was made up.

Fair. I somehow missed out on "Well most at least", albeit I am unaware of how one can render such conclusion.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The single dumbest thing about this entire argument is that we are comparing games like Halo Infinite (That looks great in my opinion) to imaginary games that don't exist. We literally have 0 examples of what next generation games look like or play like or are designed like except a rendered trailer of Hellblade 2 and an in engine cinematic of Halo Infinite. How the hell can anyone confidently say Halo Infinite or any other game launched in the first year or so of the XSX will be held back when there's literally no other comparison point except your imagination?

First of all, I have no idea why you and a bunch of other users are defending this so strongly. It's honestly fascinating how many posts I've seen in defense of this approach. Why not let Microsoft address the 'concern' that some people have (I use the term loosely).

More importantly, we have Digital Foundry (John Linneman) saying on Twitter that this will have an impact on game design decisions. He is also citing Titanfall on 360 as an example of the time and resources impact of trying to make a game work on both generations.

You're trying to play it off as a hypothetical. But anyone using the slightest bit of critical thinking can see how this could have an impact on next gen development for 1st party studios. It's simply more difficult to make a next gen game that makes innovative use of the CPU/GPU/SSD/RAM upgrades - if you need to make it work on the original Xbox 1 with the Jaguar CPU. It may not be impossible, but it's more difficult. There's no logical argument otherwise.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No offense to Dark1x But I don't think MS is suggesting they will be funding games today with the xbox one as the baseline. They've had several titles in development for years which include halo/everwild. Those games will hit xbox one, because they were built with xbox one in mind, I can't get behind them arbitrarily creating faux exclusivity to satisfy new boxes. I doubt hellblade 2 is being funded as an xbox one title at this point.

So why is Hellblade 2 different from other games? Because it's further off?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. You can't know this for sure.
2. This is a way of dismissing someone's arguments by attacking them on something completely irrelevant.
3. It doesn't even matter if someone plans or doesn't plan to get something. They can still make a judgment about it. I ain't buying a Cybertruck but I still think it looks damn stupid.

Just because Jez has some information doesn't mean he's the last word on this stuff. Seriously if you're a fan of Xbox like I infer you to be, perhaps you should look to someone else, because hot takes like that just make things more us vs. them for 'arbitrary' reasons.
I didn't say I know this for sure. It's an opinion.This is not attacking anyone. I'm only commenting on how I see it.

D BATCH

Nov 15, 2017
User warned: Antagonizing other members
First party cross gen games? I'm not saying any of them will be bad, they might each and every one of them be GOAT material.

That's not what the problem is. The problem is the lack of first party games that are next gen exclusive that will make use of the hardware.

I was Beyond hyped to learn of the XsX specs only to have that hype be completely deflated by their decision to have their games be cross gen for the first two years.
Bro the games on XSX are gunna look and run leauges better than XB1 and X base systems. Ray tracing, Load times, resolution, textures and FPS. You guys need to stop getting emotional and think for a second.
giphy.gif

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume you would be able to for large part of it. However, depending on the size of area (assets, AI, LoD states, object position.... essentially draw calls size) we may very well see some rendition of transition to mask it.

Ah I was only being facetious since the transition animation was over 20 seconds, which is relatively long. It's a unity tech demo/short film running on a "consumer-class" desktop pc, whatever that means, so it probably wasn't meant to showcase loading speeds. Very cool, though, and bless any developer willing to make intricate, beautiful loading scenes that we can all skip.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
XSX games have to run on the original Xbox One, at least for a little while. Those PS5 exclusives, whatever they are, won't be constrained by the limitations of the PS4. I don't understand why you need examples of this.
They could pull a titanfall completely mitigating the issue. Have a separate dev/team build the game for current gen. Cutting features/effects as needed. Even redesigning maps to get them running right on Xbox one.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am currently playing through GeoW 5 and its real time in-engine cutscenes are simply staggering to behold. The caveat is that it is running at 30fps as opposed to the gameplay at 60.

The interior cinematic we saw of Halo Infinite was running at 60 and looks equally impressive if not more (hard to tell given we have seen such a small environment with characters interacting in it). So, while it most likely may end up looking similar during in-engine cutscenes on One X, no one knows what compensations may have to be made. All in all, it definitely looks like a cross gen title that looks better than most current gen titles, esp. considering its framerate, but not as impressive as Hellblade 2's in-engine cinematic running at 30fps (at least the video was).

Fair. I somehow missed out on "Well most at least", albeit I am unaware of how one can render such conclusion.
You get familiar with people when you spend too much time on here.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is going age like fine wine if Microsoft's 1st party cross-gen exclusives look better than Sony's 1st party next gen exclusives.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I didn't say I know this for sure. It's an opinion.This is not attacking anyone. I'm only commenting on how I see it.

This would be like me saying that you're only defending this because you're a fan of Xbox. Does that seem fair and engender worthwhile discussion? Or does it in fact enflame things and only serve to make the discussion a bunch of mudslinging? We can discuss these things without analyzing people's post history.

This thread is going age like fine wine if Microsoft's 1st party cross-gen exclusives look better than Sony's 1st party next gen exclusives.

This is ignoring a lot of context, like how powerful the machines are, which models, do we include PC, etc. Also, even if all things being equal this is the case, in this hypothetical I'd still say they could have looked better if they didn't have to worry about last gen!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Ah I was only being facetious since the transition animation was over 20 seconds, which is relatively long. It's a unity tech demo/short film running on a "consumer-class" desktop pc, whatever that means, so it probably wasn't meant to showcase loading speeds. Very cool, though, and bless any developer willing to make intricate, beautiful loading scenes that we can all skip.

Bah, you got me.

You get familiar with people when you spend too much time on here.

Right on.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

This is my line of thought as well. Would I prefer some next gen focus in the first year? Definitely. Am I going to complain if these games still turn out great? Not at all. Just going to wait and see how these games turn out before I complain. Forza 8 can look like real life on SX while looking like a nice last gen game on the 1S and 1X for all we know.

This does not matter and is completely irrelevant. One doesn't have to be a fan of Xbox or PlayStation to judge a decision each company is making. All comments like "there's so much concern for people who don't seem to care about Xbox games" is such lazy commentary.

There's a difference between having an honest and open discussion over a company's decision and then there's using it as ammo to push an agenda. Some are doing the former while some are doing the latter. I've had fine conversations with people I don't agree with on the topic while for others, there is a clear underlying theme that this automatically means their first year efforts will be subpar.

Dec 8, 2018
I read the article, that's why I asked he discusses BC which is not relevant given BC games use their older servers ala current BC on MS unless you're implying Sony is going to support their own servers for third party games being BC. Secondly he talks about cross gen games why would the head of SCE he talking about third party cross gen he has no control over that? So the likely answer to my understanding of the article is Sony too will support cross gen for some time but the amount of support is in question. Will it just be Ghosts and TLOU2 and it's future MP or other games too? This hysteria seems over blown. Both consoles will likely have games that are cross gen within the first year of launch as Booty mentioned in the November 2019 article. It seems most didn't catch the fact that 2 years at most puts it at the end of 2021 which is 1 year after launch. I can expect both to do that honestly.

Where does it say first party games cross gen? This could mean ANY GAME that is cross gen. Games build for Next gen won't be cross gen....

You are trying so hard to push your narrative and twist this into something you want to be true it's baffling.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I hope it is possible to discuss this topic without it being devolved into accusations of concern trolling.

Apparently not. It's unfortunate, because there's so little we actually know and I'm still excited about both even though I have questions and don't see any point in pretending that all decisions made are equally appealing to me.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Bro the games on XSX are gunna look and run leauges better than XB1 and X base systems. Ray tracing, Load times, resolution, textures and FPS. You guys need to stop getting emotional and think for a second.
giphy.gif

I don't believe you have actually read any of my posts or maybe you just looked at a single one of them and came to some weird conclusion.

I have no doubt that a cross gen game on XSX will look better, run better and have faster loading times than the same game running on the Xbox One.

This is not what is being discussed. Neither am i emotional.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Don't know why but I always got the impression that Everwild was next gen only. Was it confirmed for the XBO?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Every game is not forza .
Certain things totally change the game design , story aspect and gameplay .

Lets use the flying mount again in HZD
With them you can have all the gameplay that comes with it be it set pieces , moment to moment gameplay and you have to adjust the whole battle system to take them into account .
Then thanks to them you now have to adjust the world design by making the world map large, you can add places to map where only they can go or even certain enemy types .
This not even talking about how you can use them in story aspect of the game.

That one simple thing which can not be done on PS4 fundamental change all aspect of the game and would hindered them making the PS5 version and that is not talking about everything else.

Every game is not your hypothetical HZD. Every developer is going to approach crossgen in the same manner. But we have an example of how MS has approached crossgen, and it's not nearly as simplistic as you suggest.

Yes there will be certain design approaches that are impossible on old gen games (I'm not sure flying mounts would be one of them considering we've had open world games with flight for years)
But who's to say the developer was going to choose to use the surplus processing power in that manner anyway?

You're coming in with this preconceived notion that if MS first party were tasked with making an nextgen exclusive launch title, that their first order of business would be implementing gameplay elements that were previously impossible rather than more computationally intensive iteratiosn of what came before. The latter has been the approach launch games have gone with for at least the last few generations

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I especially liked this quote from the XSX reveal trailer, "Then you would get more and more adventurous and you would make further- and further-out gambles what you would dream.".

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that blows my mind is that based on the discussions, people are placing more importance over exclusivity than quality (Seeing as people across the 3 threads have been using Killzone, Ryse and AC Unity as examples lol). If the game is good I simply don't give a shit how many platforms it launches on. Comparing the last three major console releases (PS4/One/Switch), the best game to come out at launch for any of them was BotW, a cross-gen game. Beyond that, it was made on weaker hardware then the launch PS4/One and is one of my favorite games of all-time.

Just because next-gen games could feature 'new' next-gen only features doesn't mean the game is automatically better than games of the prior gen. Or are people really going to tell me that Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, Ryse and Dead Rising 3 were so much better than games from the 360/PS3 gen? Sure, they might be spectacles, but beyond that they were all fairly mediocre.

Also, if this cross-gen plan only lasts until holiday 2021, this will affect what, like ~4 games outside the launch (which was previously pointed out, are rarely anything special anyways)? If you look at Xbox first-party, they have a nice spread of AA to AAA games, and I seriously doubt the AA games in the year after launch would be pushing the new hardware so hard that it would be impossible to release a version for older consoles.

I know this is a next-gen thread so people would understandably be upset by the idea of cross-gen, but if the game is good who fucking cares where it launches. I do get the concern, I just simply have faith that the developers will make sure that all versions of the game are fun and run well :)

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you will see true nextgen graphic on crossgen title

What's true next gen graphics? Nothing about cross gen development prevents the greater version from putting the GPU through its paces.

They'll design all the assets for the best version anyway, Then scale them down for the weakest console. They'll turn on all the graphical effects and RayTracing. They'll crank up the draw distances and enhance the LoDs.

The limits imposed by the old gen will be in terms of gamplay design. Cryteck could've shipped a version of ryse with it's original 360 graphics... and that would have had no effect on how damn good the xb1 version ended up looking.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Except for maybe developer budget and project time constraints... you know, the very practical limitations of commercial games development.

Devs already have a million platforms to develop for, with PS4, XB1(S), PC, Pro, X1X, PS5, XSX and possibly also Lockhart. So i'm not sure it's reasonable to expect devs to invest time in designing in any significant differences between next-gen and legacy platforms. And given how rushed the project timescales tend to be for launch period games, there's even less opportunity for this.

So while something may be technically feasible, it won't necessarily be practical due to the very practical realities of launch game development.

I'm mean, We are talking about Microsoft's plans for their own launch games... the guys who've demonstrated willingness to pay second development companies to make sure their cross-gen games take full advantage of the platforms they appear on.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So you might get GOAT level games but you're still going to get upset because the games didn't take full advantage of the hardware. Good grief.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like your comment on no pc game doing anything that can't be done on a console?

But just like you "missed" my reply about how Star Citizen can't be done you will probably "miss" this one.

No I put a bunch of people on ignore for a while so you were probably grouped in there.

Anyway, I don't see the issue. Games coming out in the first year of the XSX started development while the Xbox One was still the main platform. I don't think Xbox One should be supported forever, but also understand why they don't want to dump the Xbox One so quickly.

If there are signicant issues due to supporting Xbox one for literally a single year then I guess you have the right to complain.

Oct 25, 2017
The games can be held back and still be good. I don't get why that is so difficult to understand or accept. As long as MS produces quality content, it shouldn't be a problem to concede the limitations point.

Status
Not open for further replies.