• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we see this tech used in next gen racers.

Regarding next-gen Forza:

It was revealed that, "We have a new way that heat interacts with the tire pressure and we actually have dynamic track temperatures affecting this all. We have dynamic rubbering in on the track. We have a new atmospheric pressure system that accurately has pressure affecting things like air density, affecting aerodynamics and power, as well as the tire pressure. We have an entire new suspension system with new suspension modelling." He then noted that this was only the "moment-to-moment, rubber meets the road, experience" and that he was probably missing out on "about 15 other things."

Aug 26, 2019
Same

car.gif
There's another reason why racing games have terrible deformation physics, and it has nothing to do with tech.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Context my friend.... it makes all the difference.

Halo is a cross-platform game. And if MS intends to have their entire library be the halo-like cross-platform for the first 2 years of the next-gen, then for MS, their next-gen games wil be like halo.

There is no indication that sony is doing that, so Sony will be making exclusive PS5 games, and those games will look better than a game designed to run on a 2013 console.

Unless you feel that Halo designed to run on the XB1s will look better (visually/technically) than an HZD2 designed exclusively to run on a PS5.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
No, I did not consider that. That could be a fair criticism. I assume that all the target renders that we have seen so far have been on PC. So in this case, you believe the game is developed for current gen and upscaled to next gen?
I don't presume to know how they are doing it, actually. Stinkles would, I bet! I won't bother him about it, though, because I imagine that's getting into areas he can't talk about yet. Since the game has been in dev for something like 4+ years I can only assume that they started as an Xbox One title and built around that idea. Unless, they were given a directive to essentially launch the next system, given 2020 as a timeline to have it done, then they could have started to build out with the target specs I'm sure they knew before any one else on the planet and built down. Or, since they are such a huge team, they could have started on One arch, given that to their third party helper teams, and focused on a next-gen Scarlett vision.

I just have no idea. There are a lot of options, imo. It's kind of meta, but one of the most exciting things left to discover about Halo Infinite is this question. I do kind of think they were given as close to a blank check as possible in order to create this dual version vision. People talking about what the differences between a 'true' next-gen game and current gen might look directly at Halo Infinite to see what can be done, what limitations there are, etc.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Do you feel this is disingenuous? Those shots were from the original reveal trailer. Two things about that fact are that it was 1.5 years ago being much earlier in development and the key thing, imo, is that it was before Project Scarlett was officially announced. Halo Infinite was announced as an Xbox One title. As far as I'm concerned, you should look to the shots you posted as what they are targeting on Xbox One considering that was all we 'knew' about at the time. And that looks absolutely great for an Xbox One title.

Are you insinuating that the 2nd screenshot looks like something possible in-game on Xbox One?

Also, let's be real, 343 absolutely had target specs for Project Scarlett at that point... I'd bet all of their first party studios had rough engineering targets at that point.

Aug 26, 2019
I think most are aware of the licensing issue, but even games without that barrier aren't great.
True. Even GTAIV, for whatever reason, had better deformation physics than GTAV. Maybe it was just me, but I think there are some comparison videos on YT.

Edit - yeah

I don't have much knowledge on this matter, but basically brands do not want their cars to appear "damaged, destroyed or broken" in games.
Yeah.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Context my friend.... it makes all the difference.

Halo is a cross-platform game. And if MS intends to have their entire library be the halo-like cross-platform for the first 2 years of the next-gen, then for MS, their next-gen games wil be like halo.

There is no indication that sony is doing that, so Sony will be making exclusive PS5 games, and those games will look better than a game designed to run on a 2013 console.

Unless you feel that Halo designed to run on the XB1s will look better (visually/technically) than an HZD2 designed exclusively to run on a PS5.
That's why Phil insisted on 4K/60FPS since the beginning of project Scarlett.
Horizon will still probably be 30 FPS with CB. And yes, the comparison will be brutal.

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018
Halo is a launching game for next Xbox. Horizon 2 is most likely not.
Halo is 60 fps game. Horizon 2 is most likely not.

I am amazed we are already comparing games we haven't seen a single second of gameplay lol.

Also Halo 5 was a 60fps game. Gears 5 is 60fps game. Forza Horizon 4 has a 60fps mode so it's not like Phil insisted on 4k60 just now for Scarlett.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017
Halo is a lunching game for next Xbox. Horizon 2 is most likely not.

I am amazed we are already comparing games we haven't seen a single second of gameplay lol.

Also Halo 5 was a 60fps game. Gears 5 is 60fps game. Forza Horizon 4 has a 60fps mode so it's not like Phil insisted on 4k60 just now for Scarlett.
I thought about replying to his post but it gave me a headache. Console wars is serious business comparing 60fps games to 30.. furthermore we haven't even seen any gameplay of neither just don't know anymore

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Halo is a launching game for next Xbox. Horizon 2 is most likely not.

It really doesn't matter what fps whatever game is. That's not what this is about.

And the stance people tend to take with these things make it come across like this is some-console warring nonsense. It's not and shouldn't be.

Lets put consoles aside and just look at it technically.

Take the same 60fps game. Now build that game to run on the XB1s and then have a team build the same game to run exclusively on the SeX. The SeX game will not just look better in every imaginable way, it wil also be designed better in every technical way. And ways that the XB1s simply cannot accommodate.

That's the point here. As long as you are building the game to run on the XB1s, then that console must be the base platform. And be it 60fps/30fps... will never look as good or technically be as good as a game designed exclusively for the SeX. But more interestingly, because your team had to design a game that could work on the XB1s.... its like they are working on the SeX with both hands tied behind their backs.

Jan 20, 2019
Halo is a lunching game for next Xbox. Horizon 2 is most likely not.

You do realize the irony right?

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
So we're referring to Wedesday Feb. 20th, 2013 for the PS4 Meeting. Beyond got it incorrect if they said Thursday. The only other PS Meeting that was recent was the PS4 Pro - September 7th, 2016 (also on a Wednesday). There was none last year.

So judging from this, the next PlayStation Meeting will be either on 12th, Feb 2020 or 19th, Feb 2020 most likely.
My money's on 19th Feb. That is when Sony will reveal PS5's full specs.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
People just want things that can't be done on old hardware in games they like .
If HZD2 has co op , flying mounts , more destructions, more enemies on screen , more NPC , better lighting ,animation , loading, etc etc .
It's next gen for them while using the hardware since it can't be done on PS4 to that level.
There is nothing revolutionary about that but it don't have to be .
You can call it superficial but all of that is what make games fun .
Nothing wrong with superficial. That's typical of launch games, cross gen or not.

but these types of improvements that you are mentioning are exactly the type of advancements that are in no way hindered by crossgen development- especially not when it comes to open world.

Theres nothing stopping the XSX version of an open world game from having more npcs and enemies on screen, better lighting, animations, faster loading, faster mounts/vehicles that take advantage of the faster loading, better destruction etc. Than its last gen counterpart

Just look to the difference between Forza Horizon 2 on 360 vs Xb1.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I think will be interesting with MS' cross-gen strategy versus Sony going into next-gen titles more quickly is that games on Series X will probably be targeting 4K/60 more often (unless there is a shift in philosophy at SIE which is possible). It'll be interesting to see how early adopters react to 30fps games with bonkers visuals versus good looking 4K/60 titles.

Also it raises another question about Lockhart, what kind of settings and performance levels will it be targeting. Could games be running at 4K/30 on the One X but 1080/60 with higher settings on Lockhart? Will be fascinating to see how different targets pan out.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
It is going to eventually be on all major devices...rokus, chromecasts, tv apps, etc... there's nothing stopping them to be as pervasive as Netflix outside of what the companies want to support. I mean sure Netflix has limits on device support but there's more "screens" that it supports than doesn't.

Right. I'm talking about the age of devices here being supported. My mom's television stopped being supported by Netflix a couple years ago then was recently delisted to not even work on what it did have. You buy a lower end tv today, yes it will, but you're not just going to be holding onto televisions from 2013 to play Game Pass via xCloud. It's an unrealistic expectation.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand comparing Halo Infinite to Horizon 2 any more than I understand comparing the next Halo to Horizon. They are different games with different priorities, art directions, world design, etc. Even ignoring the impact of different frame rates (IF it is 30fps vs 60fps) there are so many other factors that it makes the comparison pointless.

This is why comparing exclusives is ultimately foolish. When there are a million different variables to consider in how a game is made, what is the point really outside of satisfying some kind of bias? The closest we can really get to this approach is comparing games like GT to Forza. Two games that have goals similar enough where such a comparison can highlight the different approaches each team takes.

This is exactly what I was thinking about when making that post. Doubt we'll see this level of fidelity but moving closer to it would still be good.

Regarding next-gen Forza:

I wonder if they are using AMDs tech or if this is an evolution of their own. They've had tire deformation since Forza 3.

True. Even GTAIV, for whatever reason, had better deformation physics than GTAV. Maybe it was just me, but I think there are some comparison videos on YT.

Edit - yeah

Yeah.

Probably different prioritization of resources. With GTAV being the more demanding game, certain elements probably needed to be scaled back a bit to facilitate this more demanding direction.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
So judging from this, the next PlayStation Meeting will be either on 12th, Feb 2020 or 19th, Feb 2020 most likely.
Yeah, I think whatever the date is in Feb. would be before GDC. People who get invitations will definitely let the Public know of the date.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Right. I'm talking about the age of devices here being supported. My mom's television stopped being supported by Netflix a couple years ago then was recently delisted to not even work on what it did have. You buy a lower end tv today, yes it will, but you're not just going to be holding onto televisions from 2013 to play Game Pass via xCloud. It's an unrealistic expectation.
Yea...a tv from 2013 with having the app currently yea...but I doubt that's gonna be an expectation. I mean the person said when it's available for Smart TVs...I don't think he/she implied that every smart tv ever...and forever supported.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Both Feb 18th and the 20th are available at sony hall. I bet 18th since they seem to love tuesday's.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

I'm still hoping this'll be a game, although it most likely won't be. The "To be continued..." at the end gives me hope though. Might end up as a tech demo for the PS5.

Kind of like the UE4 Elemental tech demo at the Playstation Meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.