• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It… didn't though. It packed detail as a cutscene, but there are several current-gen games that I would argue look as good if not better in a number of ways. Until we see up-to-date gameplay, it's hard to know what the rest of their game is bound to look like.

Hellblade 2 looks impressive for a next gen title. Halo Infinite looks impressive for a current gen title.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Imo the biggest issue with MS's strategy is that
-at launch at least- they won't have games with gameplay that was designed around superfast ssd's. Even if they end up having the most powerful console GPU/memory-wise, they basically give up on the next generation's biggest advantage.

Bit of a shame and quite a bad decision imo.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how this works... that's not how any of this works.

eSRAM limits the quality of textures and assets the games on xb1 can use. XBOX One X already has a better solution, that's why that console can push better assets. The xbox series X will have an even better solution, so it can push even better assets.

So no, a dev making a cross gen game isnt limited by xbox one's eSRAM. The dev is going to create the highest quality assets for XSX. Then downscale them for each supported system below it.

The only real limitation xb1 poses on anything is the CPU and harddrive. A games basic CPU controlled functions wont be able to exceed what the jaguar is capable of.

But even here, theres room for scalability. For example, an open world game on xbox one might have fewer pedestrians and traffic in the compared to the XSX version. Also, the XSX version would have a larger draw distance, less aggressive LoDs, and could have vehicles that can travel faster. So SXS could still use that extra power to showcase the benefits of upgrading. Even if the the game isnt designed to be a next gen exclusive.

It's possible, but highly unlikely that there will be launch games that utilize the CPU and SSD in ways that can't be scaled in a satisfactory manner. Launch games are typically very limited in scope simply because developers are just getting their feet wet with the hardware.
So the ram amounts wont matter? Whats available on XBO vs Series X and Lockhart? That made a difference from last gen to this gen.

We already see the base consoles struggling more now with recent games. Do we expect the One S to struggle even more...or will games be designed to make the One S not look so bad....

IMO thats the million dollar question, one that many keep bringing up.
Whichever OT this thread reach by the day of PlayStation Meeting will be PS5's TF.
10tf it is. Maybe 11.

Take that, github!!!

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Why won't Sony's AAA developers not be utilising all the tools at their disposal when they are making games that are completely unbound from current limitations? That's what these developers do. Sony have been very bullish, it was the key takeaway from their very first mention of the system, and you don't think they will be pushing their developers to make the most of it and show off the capabilities?

Sure, as will Microsoft and many other third party devs that will still have cross-generation versions. Not saying with the same effort, since for sure MS will go to partners a-la Sumo Digital to create current-gen versions of the game. I doubt it will just be scaling down for Xbox One in all cases. At some point it will involve gameplay and content limitations, just like with Forza Horizon 2 when current gen launched

The Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 will be a different game than the Xbox One version and not a straight port; Instead the game will be a unique experience "inspired by the same ideas".

"There are things we are doing in Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One that honestly couldn't be done on any other console," Fulton explained.
https://www.polygon.com/2014/6/23/5834042/forizon-horizon-2s-xbox-360-version-is-a-different-game-than-on-xbox

What will stop Microsoft from doing the same?

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a think and I wonder if Sony is going to announce something at the end of this month with quarter financial reports. Didn't they do this when they acquired Insomniac?

Something will be brought up during it as it's to entice shareholders.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a real bummer that MS isn't going to make exclusive XSX games in the first year, but I'm not worried about the GPU, I'm worried about the CPU and the SSD. If the previous generation is supported, it means that the CPU won't be utilized much more than making things that the Jaguar is already able to do but in higher fidelity while the SSD will be hardly used except for shorter loading times and streaming higher-quality assets because the old HDD will still need things like loading masking.

The only way I see it not hurting XSX games is if the developer's vision never needed an SSD and a powerful CPU or if the game is developed in a vacuum for the XSX while a third party like Iron Galaxy will have to deal with the burden of the port, cutting whatever they have to in order to get it running. I guess it's OK if, for instance, a game on the One has to be broken into levels size chunks and had pre-rendered cutscenes in order to mask loading while the XSX version is one seamless campaign without any loading times.

On the GPU front, I'm not worried much, anything can be downgraded, turned off or made using a different method. If they are willing to go low enough and invest the effort, anything is possible. CPU and SSD use on the other hand? Well, it's just one year, as long as Forza Horizon 5 is made exclusively to the XSX I'm OK with it.

BTW, one of the biggest bummers is that RT can't be used to save production time because they still need to put in the effort in things like cube maps for the Xbox One version.

Great post. Despite many assertions to the contrary, it doesn't seem beyond reason to expect that even launch titles could make use of the improved processor and storage. First party launch titles are meant to showcase the capabilities of the new hardware in a way that says, "Why yes, you probably should spend $400-$500 on new hardware, because your old box can't do this."
That all seems easier to do with PS5/XSX, as it's not just the GPU that's getting a big bump. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out, but I do think there's a strong chance those that are hand-waving away the potential differences between titles that have to account for Jaguars and HDDs and those that don't, are in for a surprise.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
My wife agreed to let me buy both consoles this year. I don't have to be biased anymore! I apologize to anyone who I may have offended in the past.
haha
It's a bit weird judging Halo from a scene taking place in a 10x10 room. Halo is about scale and Infinite seems to take it to a new level, maybe even Crysis like open levels. If in a small room Halo Infinite looks better than most current-gen games, I'm sure it will be impressive when we see the open worlds.
We have seen more than a 10x10 room.

vSlw8tM.jpg

ZHw6hh3.jpg

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I dont get the whole issue with cross gen vs next gen. Some put more value in being able to keep Playing New games on their current consoles while others want that next gen experience. Neither options are "wrong"

Aug 26, 2019
My guess still is that next gen games will be closer to Halo then Hellblade 2.
Yeah. With the Hellblade 2 trailer, I think it's important to remember this from the GameSpot interview:
The Halo Infinite reveal trailer from E3 was beautiful too, but the technical flair and artistry showcased in the Hellblade 2 trailer feel like more pronounced statements: Xbox Series X games can look almost unbelievably good when they take full advantage of the hardware. I was told the trailer represents the full power of Series X, and while the video doesn't showcase average gameplay moments, it still exhibits new levels of detail, lighting, and rendering techniques than we've yet to see on consoles before, at least running in real time.
The "average" next-gen game will look closer to Halo I think, but there will be outliers.

It could be like The Order: 1886. It's the upper echelon of next-gen graphics, and very few games will out-do it. Many won't even come close.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
We gotta stop chasing people out if they have info yo. This place can get toxic as fuck when someone just knows something or likes looking at the numbers.
No one has ever been "chased out" for providing accurate information. Sometimes people leave because they get exposed, and sometimes they leave because they just don't feel like spending time on forums anymore.

It would be amazing if Sony actually pulled out one or two full-blown AAA PS5 exclusives for launch that had had 3+ years of development. It would, as you point out, normally be impossible, but imagine if they took advantage of the relative hardware continuity and started dev in 2017 on upclocked PS4 Pro devkits with SATA SSDs. Normally I wouldn't even consider the concept, but they have had a rather long drought. The last big AAA game they announced was in late 2017, meaning it began dev a fair bit earlier than that. So unless they just sort of stopped for a while, doesn't that mean the holiday 2020 launch will see PS5 games that had about 3 years?
This is my worry with Sony right now. I'm nervous they're going to show up with a soft launch lineup. They've got some amazing development teams but many of them take a long time to get stuff out.

Insomniac NC possibly started work on a Ratchet and Clank sequel sometime between R&C releasing (March 2016) and Spider-Man releasing (September 2018). So they may have had ~3 years of development time.
This is one of my biggest hopes for the PS5 launch. I don't want to see a trash tier mascot game like Knack. I want a 4K60 Ratchet & Clank extravaganza. It should look amazing and Insomniac have definitely had to the time to make it happen. I'm going to be really disappointed if it doesn't at least show up in the first year of PS5.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
I dont get the whole issue with cross gen vs next gen. Some put more value in being able to keep Playing New games on their current consoles while others want that next gen experience. Neither options are "wrong"

What exactly is that next gen experience? The idea that there will be next gen games that couldn't be downgraded enough to play on PS4 or XB1 is a fallacy. Its seems the next gen experience for some people is for Sony and MS to force them to upgrade by restricting content to the new systems arbitrarily.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, as will Microsoft and many other third party devs that will still have cross-generation versions. Not saying with the same effort, since for sure MS will go to partners a-la Sumo Digital to create current-gen versions of the game. I doubt it will just be scaling down for Xbox One in all cases. At some point it will involve gameplay and content limitations, just like with Forza Horizon 2 when current gen launched

https://www.polygon.com/2014/6/23/5834042/forizon-horizon-2s-xbox-360-version-is-a-different-game-than-on-xbox

Nothing

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Taking it a step further it's not even going to be the consoles that give the competitive advantage, it's going to be exclusives. When PS Now and xCloud are available on every Smart TV, the only way to differentiate is going to be through the portfolio - just like with any other streaming service.
I agree that exclusives are an important unique selling preposition but there are more like included catalog, security, availability (countries), latency (data centers), streaming quality, mobile device accessory support, pricing, playing options ( download & streaming at launch). You get the idea. Btw I forgot one player in my listing that was Stadia. Tells you how I look at the current service offering there.

Last edited:

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

Turning off my snark, if it's not even the same fucking game then what is this conversation?

I'm just glad we can admit this is what would have to happen when real next-gen games start and have gotten past the bullshit argument that any game ever made can scale infinitely without a limit.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Taking it a step further it's not even going to be the consoles that give the competitive advantage, it's going to be exclusives. When PS Now and xCloud are available on every Smart TV, the only way to differentiate is going to be through the portfolio - just like with any other streaming service.

Yep...and then people will start "wars" over cheap subscriptions (which will be even more hilarious).

Sure, works both ways. But some people on this forum seem to have a hard time accepting it. Once these services are in place, these "being held back" discussions won't make sense anymore. The line between generations is getting blurry, and what both companies will be offering are several entry points to an entire ecosystem of games and services.

Like now I'm talking about xCloud because this gen I could only afford Game Pass and few exclusives on both platforms, but I'm definitely getting PSNow once I think the service is worth it (next-gen exclusives, etc), offers great value and it becomes an almost seamless experience across several devices.

I got PSNow for God of War and now I have it for Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us. As long as they have games worthwhile to play on the service I will subscribe. That's why being cheap service with good content helps get more users. I skipped PS4 because I couldn't justify getting it at launch with the games there that weren't great imo and then when the good games did come, there weren't enough to justify spending hundreds for just a couple exclusives...but using PSNow I can not have to worry about it. That's going to be the best part of next-generation and these platforms...cheap gaming. That's partly the reason why these "arguments" become so null and void in my eyes cuz not everyone is going to care about the box (like me, I'm all about the streaming future...just like I was about the digital future) and it will come down to content in the end. I don't care about the platforms, just the content and how my experience is playing such games. These boxes are just a means to an end.

I agree that exclusives are an important unique selling preposition but there are more like included catalog, security, availability, latency, streaming quality, mobile device accessory support, pricing, playing options ( download & streaming at launch). You get the idea. Btw I forgot one player in my listing that was Stadia. Tells you how I look at the current service offering there.
Stadia is cool...I just wish they had content I wanted to play at a cheaper price. They need exclusives and a gamepass like competitor in order for their service to be competitive...but the streaming tech is good.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

Guys, Gals, Chickens, Robots... even Netflix has its limits of device support. Come on. This is not going to be some "you can play this on every device ever made" solution just because it's in the cloud.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My wife agreed to let me buy both consoles this year. I don't have to be biased anymore! I apologize to anyone who I may have offended in the past.
This is the right way to be. Get both.

Turning off my snark, if it's not even the same fucking game then what is this conversation?

I'm just glad we can admit this is what would have to happen when real next-gen games start and have gotten past the bullshit argument that any game ever made can scale infinitely without a limit.
Exactly.

Like I said earlier, that post that had options a and b, if it was b, a different game, Booty should have never said anything. Because that would be expected, 2 different games.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, Gals, Chickens, Robots... even Netflix has its limits of device support. Come on. This is not going to be some "you can play this on every device ever made" solution just because it's in the cloud.
It is going to eventually be on all major devices...rokus, chromecasts, tv apps, etc... there's nothing stopping them to be as pervasive as Netflix outside of what the companies want to support. I mean sure Netflix has limits on device support but there's more "screens" that it supports than doesn't.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
My wife would let me buy both, but I'm kind of imposing my own limit on myself to only buy one this year. Of course that wouldn't stop me from buying the other in January 2021 ;)

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
haha

We have seen more than a 10x10 room.

vSlw8tM.jpg

ZHw6hh3.jpg
Do you feel this is disingenuous? Those shots were from the original reveal trailer. Two things about that fact are that it was 1.5 years ago being much earlier in development and the key thing, imo, is that it was before Project Scarlett was officially announced. Halo Infinite was announced as an Xbox One title. As far as I'm concerned, you should look to the shots you posted as what they are targeting on Xbox One considering that was all we 'knew' about at the time. And that looks absolutely great for an Xbox One title.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Do you feel this is disingenuous? Those shots were from the original reveal trailer. Two things about that fact are that it was 1.5 years ago being much earlier in development and the key thing, imo, is that it was before Project Scarlett was officially announced. Halo Infinite was announced as an Xbox One title. As far as I'm concerned, you should look to the shots you posted as what they are targeting on Xbox One considering that was all we 'knew' about at the time. And that looks absolutely great for an Xbox One title.
No, I did not consider that. That could be a fair criticism. I assume that all the target renders that we have seen so far have been on PC. So in this case, you believe the game is developed for current gen and upscaled to next gen?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Do we have any info on AMD's 1st gen ray tracing solution? Other than that it exists and consoles will leverage it to some degree.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Ryse son of Rome is still one of the best looking game for x one and was launch title

Agreed, I even said something similar earlier in the thread. Still the bulk of development was as a 360 title that was later moved as an Xbox One exclusive using unfinished tools on a system hampered by splitting resources with Kinect. As amazing as the game looks, it still doesn't utilize the hardware nearly as well as games released later on in the generation.

I think none of what I said intends to say there won't be great looking games. I think it's just a question of, in so far as we expect games to be able to take a jump up when they use next-gen hardware as a baseline, I would say the sooner more devs can focus in on that baseline and iterate toward that jump, the better. It's not to say that games that can be scaled down to, or scale up from current gen can't look great on next-gen hardware. But I am hopeful there's runway for games to take fundamental advantage of the next gen hardware, and for that, I'd be of the preference that devs move on sooner rather than later from current gen baselines. To that extent, MS's plans are a bit disappointing to me. For others who may not want to move to next-gen so soon, I understand it could be good news for them. MS is making a lot of disruptions, or attempts to find their own model distinct from the traditional one, and it'll be interesting to see how that goes for them... but not all disruptions are necessarily purely as 'good' as others, and this is one that I think is a bit potentially a mixed bag.

The scenario I described earlier would be devs taking fundamental advantage of next gen hardware. Also it's safe to say of the 15 studios there, the majority of projects have moved over to next gen exclusives. So I don't think this approach hinders that push all that much.

But you would only take those out of consideration if you were trying to redefine your way to winning an argument. "Just" lowered geometry, missing effects, less on screen, and less detail everywhere results in a completely different game. Graphical changes alone are enough to say this, with rising justification as the number of changes goes up. It's simply perverse to treat these alterations as superfluous, when all evidence shows that audiences respond directly to them.

People may buy new-gen games solely out of desire for better graphics--that's why they say they do in polls, for example. And it's what we saw at the last gen launch, when 360 versions of software rapidly declined in volume in favor of Xbox One versions, at a pace greatly faster than the increase in new hardware installed base versus the old gen. Yes, crossgen games look better in their nextgen versions...but they also don't have the graphical chops of exclusive titles. That's how eye candy drove Shadow Fall to sell millions and millions of copies, despite being a pretty mediocre game. (More tangential support for my argument is provided by the fact that devs often reach so hard for graphical excellence that performance suffers--Crytek made a whole career of this on console.)

I'm not redefining anything to win anything. A poster said it couldn't be done and I gave examples to how it could. I completely get point that you can cut out enough graphically can result in a different game. I think that perception is subjective and not entirely objective though. For example I think the cuts made to the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 make it a different game but others may disagree. Despite what I or any other gamer thinks, it's still an example to how a game can be cross gen while still providing that next gen experience on the newer platform. If I were MS, I'd take the opportunity to show how much of a leap there is when playing on newer hardware as a way to sell hardware. Assuming the leap is as large as we think it will be.

Really when I think about this, this isn't entirely new for MS. They did something similar with Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. No one gave a shit back then but now that some are looking for a target to aim for, this is all of a sudden a huge deal. FYI I'm not talking about you here, just some other suspect posters.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
No, I did not consider that. That could be a fair criticism. I assume that all the target renders that we have seen so far have been on PC. So in this case, you believe the game is developed for current gen and upscaled to next gen?

The game has been in development for 4 years. It will be running on an incredible large range of devices, Xbox One, Xbox One X, laptops, desktops, xCloud blades, and the Series X, with a possible Lockhart if that device exists. It will be built with all those devices in mind and scaled accordingly.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any info on AMD's 1st gen ray tracing solution? Other than that it exists and consoles will leverage it to some degree.
only the patent that I am aware of.

TEXTURE PROCESSOR BASED RAY TRACING ACCELERATION METHOD AND SYSTEM

Complete Patent Searching Database and Patent Data Analytics Services.

The game has been in development for 4 years. It will be running on an incredible large range of devices, Xbox One, Xbox One X, laptops, desktops, xCloud blades, and the Series X, with a possible Lockhart if that device exists. It will be built with all those devices in mind and scaled accordingly.
This is my assumption as well.

Aug 26, 2019
I'm no developer, but I have to believe that targeting one set of specs is easier than targeting multiple. But perhaps the APIs/tools they use have abstractions that facilitate cross-gen development.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Not even impressive for current gen title. Just yet another good looking aaa game.

Because scaling will work for Lockhart (if it ends up happening) and xCloud (which you will technically be able to use on XBO).
Some devs out there will also choose to go for just scaling (probably most third-party multiplatform devs), others will choose to make different versions of the game withour those next-gen advantages.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I'm no developer, but I have to believe that targeting one set of specs is easier than targeting multiple. But perhaps the APIs/tools they use have abstractions that facilitate cross-gen development.

I believe in MS' case, they are attempting to ease development targeting multiple devices(I avoid saying cross gen, as that is an almost irrelavant term once you are targeting PCs and all the devices and compatability that entails) with Gamecore.

Status
Not open for further replies.