• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
If you don't make exclusives for the device then all you get are cross-gen games made to look a little nicer on the new console. Sounds a lot like a refresh.
This statement is incredibly wrong, in every way imaginable. They're all x86 machines now, "generations" aren't a thing as much as bumping up your targeted specs. They're all just pc's and you can scale accordingly.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
There isn't one determining factor, games, price, marketing, power and brand all play a role, but having your console always talked about by the media and people sure helps creating mindshare and making it the console.

Definitely, there are always a bunch of reasons that people consider when deciding on whether to upgrade. I just think when a PS3 owner was considering to upgrade to PS4, the next gen exclusives weren't the top priority - or else they would have sold better. I just think a factor people weigh more heavily when deciding whether to upgrade is their desire to play superior versions of their favorite games; Call of Duty, GTA, etc.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Those who waited to hop into next-gen didn't hop in at the beginning of the gen since the games weren't enough to justify it for them, so why would they buy them when they jumped in later? They'd jump in due to other games that interested them.

Well in 2013 the console was supply constrained, so maybe they weren't able to buy it at the very beginning of the generation. Also, and this is kind of my point, maybe the games that they jumped in for were not next gen exclusives, but were cross gen games.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
This statement is incredibly wrong, in every way imaginable. They're all x86 machines now, "generations" aren't a thing as much as bumping up your targeted specs. They're all just pc's and you can scale accordingly.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it's going to be on the MS side at least now. A sliding window of games compatibility as developers' needs change as the technology changes. No reason for walls if they aren't necessary. Let developers decide what their games need and then determine which devices can accommodate that idea. Lots of indie games could target current gen consoles for many years to come and having an easy to target list of devices on a single marketplace seems like a fairly nice to have capability.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you consider crossgen games to be "last gen" it's only for a year. So again, what happens when the Xbone is no longer supported? Does it become a true next gen system then?

This is so strange lol

Will third party games count as nextgen games if they release on PC and last gen? Or will a PC version automatically make it last gen?
Do we need a separate box to discern what is next-gen or will buying the same game a second absolve the difference?

We're going to need a FAQ.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't make exclusives for the device then all you get are cross-gen games made to look a little nicer on the new console. Sounds a lot like a refresh.

So when MS stops porting xb1 games to XSX, the XSX will become a next gen device rather than a refresh?

And this is regardless of any third party XSX games that aren't ports from xb1?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Because currently this is not the rule but the exception. I don't see it requiring an SSD, this will take some time on PC to be a requirement for many games.

I bet it will require SSD to play. PC gamers will have to upgrade to keep up.

No way they skipped the PS4 if the SSD wasn't vital. It doesn't make sense.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bet it will require SSD to play. PC gamers will have to upgrade to keep up.

No way they skipped the PS4 if the SSD wasn't vital. It doesn't make sense.
Of course it makes sense to claim that this game is only possible on next gen because of marketing. Good thing is that on PC we will see how this game requires an SSD because people will run it on an HDD ;)

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
Of course it makes sense to claim that this game is only possible on next gen because of marketing. Good thing is that on PC we will see how this game requires an SSD because people will run it on an HDD ;)

It's not unheard of for developers to place restrictions in a game, which come part of the game design, that carries over regardless of what specs you have so that the game can scale to lower-end hardware.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rumours from major publications such as EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix and Activision suggest that PlayStation will be doing their reveal event early February and invites will be sent out next week keep your eyes peeled. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PlayStation?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#PlayStation</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PS5?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#PS5</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/E32020?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#E32020</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NextGen?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#NextGen</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Sony?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Sony</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/gaming?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#gaming</a> <a href="https://t.co/cWOzMzvZ7e">pic.twitter.com/cWOzMzvZ7e</a></p>&mdash; ADDMoore 🎮 #KindaFunny (@ADDMoore93) <a href="https://twitter.com/ADDMoore93/status/1216138960923189248?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">January 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes please!

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

So they skipped 106M potential user just to say our game needs SSD when in reality it doesn't need to?

Yeah that makes no sense.

I agree this will be a good test to see how the SSD claims hold true.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to think the same way, but that's how I feel about it.

It's a next-gen system playing last-gen games, sounds like Xbox One X.
What is a next gen game anyway? Or last gen game? Was the The Witness a current gen game when it was released? What about games like Minecraft? How is GTAV not a current gen game although it released on last gen systems?
I think the distinction between last gen, current gen and next gen will be more and more arbitrary, with bc anyway.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So they skipped 106M potential user just to say our game needs SSD when in reality it doesn't need to?

Yeah that makes no sense.

I agree this will be a good test to see how the SSD claims hold true.

It does make sense. KZSF sold more than a million in the end while not being a game that set the world on fire because it was a game that was marketed properly by Sony for next gen. The exclusivity deal also brought cash in from Sony and as we know Sony wants to have next gen exclusive games, to the point that they even pay for it for third party games.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
There are games that get revealed 1.5+ years before they actually come out. So there is no reason to believe that there can't be XSX/PC only games that get revealed at E3 (or any other reveal event MS has planned). We could see games that don't end up coming out until Fall 2021-early 2022 that would fall outside of Matt Booty's 1-2 year window.

Nov 11, 2017
Shinobi already stated that Godfall doesnt represent how games will look on PS5.
Ok?
Dont play Games with me.
I think you perfectly well understood my point. Which is that they will indeed look better simply because of much bigger scale.. dont forget that 32Mibyte of eSRAM ...
That alone will cripple XBOX X and gaming PCs ..
Shit can't wait I expect all games to look way better then hellblade 2 I'm excited

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
the funny thing is that anyone who dares to question this strategy is labeled a troll.

in a thread called next gen speculation. for flops sake.

in a community thats gone almost two years hyping up the cpu upgrade, the ssd upgrade, and gpu tflops.

after literally 18 months of arguing over 8-12 tflops, we are literally at a point where users are ok with 1.3 tflops consoles with jaguar cpus with 40mb hdd read speeds.

we are in the twilight zone now. there is no coming back from this. up is down. right is left. jaguar cpus wont hold back gaming. next gen games are anti consumer. wanting next gen games is trolling. wanting jennifer lawrence is wrong. sex is better than gaming. where will this insanity stop?!!
Hey hey hey Whoa whoa whoa whoa... Nice shootin' Tex.

SglVEUW.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.