• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2019

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Quite the assumption. Let's keep it civil y'all.

That was civil. When someone primarily focuses on one platform, it's pretty safe to say they are only interested in that platform.

No i want people to focus on everything .
All i seeing is lower Res, lower effects etc etc .
It seem people not taking into account SSD, CPU which are the biggest jump.
Games that using those parts fully are much harder to cut down \lower compare to the GPU stuff.

EDIT we not talking about lockhart to XSX where things much close aside from the GPU.
We talking XSX to XB1 where gap is huge in everything but Ram and even then that not 1 to 1 thanks to the SSD.

First gen games aren't going to fully utilize the SSD or CPU.

Any easy way to find the patent? What he links to seems to cover backwards compatibility.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Except with Sony first party PS5 exclusives this won't be true at all. Sony and their studios will both be pushing to make their games absolutely sing on the new hardware, and all the exclusives being worked on by Sony's teams will be full utilising the PS5 because why the hell wouldn't they? There will be a gulf between Sony first party and Xbox cross gen "next gen" games. It will be clear as day when we actually see the games.
ok im sure it will be clear as day...

/s

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sound like bullshit? Patents can be filled about anything.Can smart people from this thread confirm if this is even possible?

I don't know what patent he's talking about but a) i highly doubt any patent refers to 'ps5' and b) all gpus are simd or mimd. The teraflop ratings on a gpu already account for that, it's not some magic new multiplier.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
giphy.gif
Guess you missed the "in this context" part of the comment...

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm repeating myself but I don't know anything about Lockhart - I'm arguing the conversation from the article. In the case of Halo infinite the Xbox One is the base version and Scarlett and high end pc are the upper bounds for our engine and game.

The "low end" version will be the best looking Halo we've made and will run beautifully on this gen Xbox One - and Scarlett will look even better. But having a mid level pc version won't affect the peak of the perf - so that's the logic you should apply to the argument. Imo.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
This will be a marketing dream for Sony. Showcasing their next gen exclusives next to the cross gen titles will only flatter them more.

Agreed. I remain open minded about the impact of extended cross gen but an 'only available in PS5' or a 'couldn't be made without the power of PS5' will make for great marketing tag lines.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes the possibility. So the possibility can be less also if we follow that argument. But if i would i say that people will bring up the Booty line as a fact (wich is fair) so then bringing up to be more isnt fair also and only trying to force a narrative you then try to say.

It can be less or it can be more, nobody knows other than the folks working behind the scenes at XBOX. We're discussing what might happen, it's a speculation thread after all. But I'm not a fan of their thinking and I have no doubt that sony will come out swinging with their 1st party titles. We'll see.

Feb 26, 2018
I don't know what patent he's talking about but a) i highly doubt any patent refers to 'ps5' and b) all gpus are simd or mimd. The teraflop ratings on a gpu already account for that, it's not some magic new multiplier.
Yeah. So it's probably just some wishful thinking on his part.
Actually I cant even access that patent from that link he posted.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say they were done with timed exclusives? Will be interesting to see the reaction here compared to Sony and FF7 if MS decides to moneyhat some big 3rd party game.
I can see them changing their stance on no moneyhatting. It seems Sony's being pretty aggressive with third parties on their console first. I could be wrong though

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
On the MS side since they had to take into account PC any way .
Sony i see that being different with there first party devs who had dev kits with SDD in them for years even early.

Let me rephrase that, first gen PS5 games aren't going to fully exploit the SSD and CPU. Games on both platforms will continue to evolve and be optimized for years and years. This is why this whole topic is silly.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That's nonsense. Not only does the referenced patent not talk about any of that, "SIMD" does not mean what this guy is thinking it means.
Now, I'm not going to even pretend to be able to decipher the patent, but first thing I saw that made me go....really...is backwards compatibility.

I swore this was posted already, but about BC.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Let me rephrase that, first gen PS5 games aren't going to fully exploit the SSD and CPU. Games on both platforms will continue to evolve and be optimized for years and years. This is why this whole topic is silly.
I could see a PS5 game that started dev in 2018 being fully planned for next-gen but that game isn't coming out by the end of 2021.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The funniest thing about all of this which just dawned on me is since MS studios are all developing games for PC, their targets are literally the fastest possible gaming devices, meaning their high end will have a higher spec target then even an XSX or other equivalent console or PC, and yet people are making the argument their games will be hampered

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I could see a PS5 game that started dev in 2018 being fully planned for next-gen but that game isn't coming out by the end of 2021.

Agreed. These games are going to take longer to make so any next gen launch game is going to be limited during its development whether or not it's a cross gen game. This is normal for launch games when developers are forced to work on unfinished hardware with unfinished or missing features.

Nov 11, 2017
The funniest thing about all of this which just dawned on me is since MS studios are all developing games for PC, their targets are literally the fastest possible gaming devices, meaning their high end will have a higher spec target then even an XSX or other equivalent console or PC, and yet people are making the argument their games will be hampered
It's been the case for xbox games for a while gears 5 forza horizon etc.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
While PC hardware can be upgraded and the best-of-the-best can consistently be more performany than consoles, that doesn't mean that is the target. I would say the median and average PC gamer will have a worse performing machine than PS4/XSX.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Console wars
Sony fanboy logic:
All PC games are now inferior and are not truly "next gen" because they can scale down to less powerful hardware specifactions...

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
I'm playing Days Gone on my PS4 Pro and a mid-tier 4K TV.

This game already looks f***ing STUNNING with < 2 Tflops. I don't know if we'll get 10ish, 11ish or whatever amount of Tflops with nextgen but... I wonder how big the leap will be. I can't even imagine it since we already are at this level with the current consoles.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Don't worry you will still see better loading times, better resolution and better graphics on Series X compared to series s or Xbox One OG or S

And thats not even close to what some of us are talking about. The load times will be faster, but the game won't be designed around it in terms of how it streams the assets/ and caches them.

Which from what a lot of the chatter has been on Next gen for first party PS5, is something that will change the way games are developed going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Not at launch though. Developers will require working with the new tools for much longer than how much time a launch game provides.
I really don't think they need that much time to use the SSD to eliminate hidden load screens. As for the argument about time constraints, well, there's tension between that and what we've been hearing about how far along Sony is. I think it'll be business as usual for most, but a Sony first party studio could surprise.

This game already looks f***ing STUNNING with < 2 Tflops. I don't know if we'll get 10ish, 11ish or whatever amount of Tflops with nextgen but... I wonder how big the leap will be. I can't even imagine it since we already are at this level with the current consoles.

The game's shortcomings are easily noticed, and you can see how a better GPU and storage would help immensely. Awful pop-in, hitching are glaring issues that need better hardware to solve, same with SSAO (though I'm not sure RT shadows will be feasible on PS5/XSX, but fingers crossed).

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Here's my thinking:

The evolution in technical sophistication of games over a cycle needs a starting point. The point at which devs have the freedom to ask in a fundamental way how they can use this hardware to make more impressive games is that starting point.

If you're asking people to spend $500 on a machine, I think it's ultimately to the advantage of those customers to let as many devs as possible ask that question as soon as possible.

Obviously there's real world constraints - third parties can rarely focus on next gen immediately. But first party can, and in the past have. And have likely contributed to expediting the evolution of the software for that generation. If you delay the point where more devs can start asking that question, surely you risk delay to the iteration that leads to the later more sophisticated uses?

Microsoft's wish to support the current gen for longer is understandable, but the question of impact on development and the iteration that leads to the improvement over the cycle isn't a silly one. That launch games don't always make the most impressive use of the hardware is a bit besides the point - allowing as many devs as possible to focus on next-gen hardware with their launch games may be beneficial to moving along the evolution we're talking about faster.

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While PC hardware can be upgraded and the best-of-the-best can consistently be more performany than consoles, that doesn't mean that is the target. I would say the median and average PC gamer will have a worse performing machine than PS4/XSX.

Frank O Connor has already stated that their baseline is an Xbox one and their peak is the most powerful PC available. These studios are no longer targeting average specs as their highest performers.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
And thats not even close to what some of us are talking about. The load times will be faster, but the game won't be designed around it in terms of how it streams the assets/ and caches them.

Which from what a lot of the chatter has been on Next gen for first party PS5, is something that will change the way games are developed going forward.

Ever heard of optimization?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

PS4 Pro is 4.2 TF, but yes next gen will be amazing.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
That's not how PC game development works. No game targets a 2080 TI. The only one that comes even a little close is Star Citizen, and that one's in a close wholly by itself.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This all sounds like bs to me, btw who is this twitter person ? Anyway, anexanhume is our resident patent expert,let's see what he has to say about it. :)
We covered this in one of the first threads (given the patent's age).

It's a BC patent and non-technical people aren't comprehending the language in the patent.

edit: The introduction or background usually tells you what the patent is trying to achieve, in simpler terms than the claims.

Even if the CPUs of the new device are binary compatible with the legacy device (i.e. capable of executing programs created for the legacy device), differences in performance characteristics between the CPUs of the new device and the CPUs of the legacy device may cause errors in legacy applications, and as a result the new device will not be backwards compatible.

If the CPUs of the new device have lower performance than the CPUs of the legacy device, many errors in a legacy application may arise due to the inability to meet real time deadlines imposed by display timing, audio streamout or the like. If the CPUs of the new device have

substantially higher performance than the CPUs of the legacy device, many errors in a legacy application may arise due to the untested consequences of such high speed operation. For example, in a producer-consumer model, if a consumer of data (e.g. the CPU) operates at higher speed than originally anticipated, it may attempt to access data before the data producer (e.g. some other component of the computer) makes it available. Alternatively if the producer of the data (e.g. the CPU) operates at higher speed than originally anticipated, it may overwrite data still being used by the data consumer (e.g. some other component of the computer).

Additionally, as speed of execution of code by a CPU depends on the characteristics of the specific code being executed, it is possible that the degree of increase of performance of the CPUs of the new device relative to the legacy device will depend on the specific code being executed. This may lead to problems in the producer-consumer model described above, where producer and consumer are both CPUs but are executing the code of the legacy application at relative speeds not encountered on the legacy hardware.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

This is where I am at.
I recently finished Days Gone and I would go even that far that the snowy areas are one of the best things I have seen overall this generation.
I cannot imagine what next gen will bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.