• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really understand the point of the Lockhart if it has the same CPU, same RAM, and same storage.

A 4 TF GPU would save like $100 at most?

Is that really affordable?
Jason heard it has less ram. Tom Warren said weaker cpu.

Storage is bound to be Lower as well. They will gut this system anyway they can.

They should also save a few dollars on smaller form factor and a standard cooling system.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
if you see a lot of firings and replacements, chances are that things arent that great. no one makes changes if everything was going according to plan. someone somewhere fucked up and you have sony bringing in new players to clean up the mess.

the good thing about all of this is that cerny is still there. but shu getting replaced by herman, kodera getting replaced by ryan and shawn getting let go is definitely not because they were all doing a bang up job. both shu and shawn were leading their worldwide studios. its possible that they werent able to get a decent launch lineup ready for launch. pure speculation but i guess we will see if they screw up like MS and have no next gen games ready for the first two years after launch.

kodera vs jim ryan is slightly more complicated to speculate. SIE has been extremely successful under his leadership so why replace him this close to next gen launch? maybe he was the one who gave cerny the goahead to make a $499 monster with a $100 loss and after sony brass found out about the lockhart they were like wtf and replaced him with the guy who could deliver a $399 console.

all speculation. just trying to make sense of this mess.
I'm guessing and speculating but some of the changes in positions is they're not really bringing in completely new players but more about aligning leadership towards where their strengths were at the same time replacing major positions that were vacant. They recognize the importance of network and content services and Kodera having been in charge since the start of PS4 is better to have someone who is experienced leader prior that brought about it's current success and being in both positions as CEO likely doesn't really work. PlayStation is clearly deficient when it comes to their indie initiatives having lost key people, shu seems to have a lot of passion when it comes to this area as well as also having experience with managing games, he's clearly one of the few known heads of Sony left and there's nothing but confidence in putting someone like him in this area which therefore translates to third party developers having confidence back (I think Jim said something similar). Hermen who has taken over the role, seems to have been involved with WWS overall and combining his experience with GG and was very pretty instrumental in Death Standing collaboration which involved numerous divisions. I just don't think if SIE leadership was going very badly, they would have just put leadership in different roles but still in charge of significant areas. The only one that kind of stands out is really Shawn leaving which might be clearly due to conflicting visions as WWS has gone through a different structure now. It also doesn't really make sense when you look at the timelines in place. Jim only came on board last year in Feb. Whatever console they were making would have been in the process for a longer time that if it was going badly, why not delay especially if something is happening with WWS in general as well. Whatever game they have at launch will have to be planned at least years out as in games from around 2017 onward that making changes just two months ago would have no affect and makes even less sense knowing Hermen was Vice president of WWS. 2019 seemed more like a time where they refocused, recognized where they were deficient and making changes to make the Division stronger rather than everything going badly.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
MS may not care but gamers care. if last gen has shown anything, its that gamers want new shit. and new experiences. i suspect this will blow up in their faces. first party studios are supposed to convince everyone to buy new consoles. if they wont do that then people will just go buy the competitor's console with actual next gen games.

enthusiasts will buy it anyway is only true for die hard ms fans. And we know they only make up around 1/3 the total userbase.

People like to beat on this dead horse.

MS won't make the same mistake at the start of this gen, they will and have learned from their mistakes. They will have the games this Gen that compare to favorably to Sony's 1st party next gen (in my opinion).......

Game pass is amazing btw

xem

Oct 31, 2017

Storage is bound to be Lower as well. They will gut this system anyway they can.

They should also save a few dollars on smaller form factor and a standard cooling system.
Ya as far as form factor, i would guess it will have the same design just about 1/2 the height of XsX

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing and speculating but some of the changes in positions is they're not really bringing in completely new players but more about aligning leadership towards where their strengths were at the same time replacing major positions that were vacant. They recognize the importance of network and content services and Kodera having been in charge since the start of PS4 is better to have someone who is experienced leader prior that brought about it's current success and being in both positions as CEO likely doesn't really work. PlayStation is clearly deficient when it comes to their indie initiatives having lost key people, shu seems to have a lot of passion when it comes to this area as well as also having experience with managing games, he's clearly one of the few known heads of Sony left and there's nothing but confidence in putting someone like him in this area which therefore translates to third party developers having confidence back (I think Jim said something similar). Hermen who has taken over the role, seems to have been involved with WWS overall and combining his experience with GG and was very pretty instrumental in Death Standing collaboration which involved numerous divisions. I just don't think if SIE leadership was going very badly, they would have just put leadership in different roles but still in charge of significant areas. The only one that kind of stands out is really Shawn leaving which might be clearly due to conflicting visions as WWS has gone through a different structure now. It also doesn't really make sense when you look at the timelines in place. Jim only came on board last year in Feb. Whatever console they were making would have been in the process for a longer time that if it was going badly, why not delay especially if something is happening with WWS in general as well. Whatever game they have at launch will have to be planned at least years out as in games from around 2017 onward that making changes just two months ago would have no affect and makes even less sense knowing Hermen was Vice president of WWS. 2019 seemed more like a time where they refocused, recognized where they were deficient and making changes to make the Division stronger rather than everything going badly.
I can buy this.

Could be that Jim was the one who proposed delaying to 2020 and making a more powerful console.

I just hope the e3 rumors are not true.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS may not care but gamers care. if last gen has shown anything, its that gamers want new shit. and new experiences. i suspect this will blow up in their faces. first party studios are supposed to convince everyone to buy new consoles. if they wont do that then people will just go buy the competitor's console with actual next gen games.

enthusiasts will buy it anyway is only true for die hard ms fans. And we know they only make up around 1/3 the total userbase.

its incredible that people think the Series X isn't going to have software that competes directly or even possibly better than PS5. I just can't believe the overreaction that's going on lol

Chaostar

Oct 27, 2017
ezgif.com-resize.gif

It's a co-op game at 60 FPS though. Still looks fantastic compared to what we have on PS4 and it's being made by a small studio.
Naughty Dog and all the big boyz are going to melt faces.

Ok I hadn't seen this, thanks, I'm guessing it's Godfall. It's impressive alright but doesn't scream "next-gen" to me just yet.

Think you're right that it's gonna take a first party to really make the new hardware sing.

It will look like a high end PC running a game

No previous generational leaps, at least the platform exclusive ones, have just looked like last gen PC games, why would this one be different? Seems a little pessimistic to me but I guess, if you have low expectations, you have a chance to be pleasantly surprised 😊

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like to beat on this dead horse.

MS won't make the same mistake at the start of this gen, they will and have learned from their mistakes. They will have the games this Gen that compare to favorably to Sony's 1st party next gen (in my opinion).......

Game pass is amazing btw
well unlike the ps5 e3 speculation, this isn't something I'm making up. An ms exec us saying they will have cross gen exclusives for the first two years. This isn't debatable. They ARE making the same mistakes. Or rather new mistakes because they at least had the common sense to launch next gen only games last gen.

I don't know how you can compare unreleased and unrevealed next gen ps5 games to current Xbox games but i guess if you like Xbox franchises it makes sense. I've already said that ms won't lose their diehard fans. That's not the point.

I have game pass. I've had gamepass for almost a year. Its a great value but i don't see what this has to do with next gen. You can have next gen only games on gamepass along with last gen games. You don't have to limit your output, handicap your devs, and punish your early adopters just for some parity between subscribers.

its incredible that people think the Series X isn't going to have software that competes directly or even possibly better than PS5. I just can't believe the overreaction that's going on lol
See above. We are discussing matt bootys comments. Maybe he's lying or playing some 3d chess with Sony trying to get them to release cross gen games.

Or maybe he means what he says.

Nov 2, 2017
No previous generational leaps, at least the platform exclusive ones, have just looked like last gen PC games, why would this one be different? Seems a little pessimistic to me but I guess, if you have low expectations, you have a chance to be pleasantly surprised 😊
People keep saying this but I think Crysis 3 easily looks on par with your average AAA multiplat title from this gen.

Aug 26, 2019
Post from Jason that I think is important to bring up with the cross-gen discussion:
Games already look ridiculous enough; my hope (one that I imagine is shared with most reasonable gamers) is that the next generation of consoles is more focused on accessibility, 60+fps, and function rather than graphical fidelity.
Note that none of what he mentioned is hindered by cross-gen.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post from Jason that I think is important to bring up with the cross-gen discussion:

Note that none of what he mentioned is hindered by cross-gen.
Function is. Next gen is (and always has been) way more than just prettier graphics. New things that can be done with the new hardware that are just simply impossible on the old one.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
It won't be, but Series X will be the lead development platform like how One X was for FH4. Their RPG project (rumored to be Fable) really needs to be a next-gen exclusive though.
Why wouldn't it be if they are talking about a single year of cross-gen games? We should start seeing exclusives in holiday season 2021.
Don't really understand the point of the Lockhart if it has the same CPU, same RAM, and same storage.

I've made a post about it a few days ago:

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS is committed to supporting PC also though...

Doesn't the next Hellblade look incredible though?

PC doesn't necessarily have the same issue because developers can choose which minimum specs to target. So if they want to make a graphics showcase, they can.

With regards to Hellblade, I really don't know? Yes, the trailer looked very good - but it wasn't gameplay and we don't know if it is representative of the final game. And more importantly, we don't know how that stacks up to next gen exclusive games yet. So while it looks like a leap over this generation, it may not end up being as impressive when we have something to compare it to.

Please don't take that as a shot at Hellblade.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
the fact that they wont be able to fix whats broken soon is actually kinda troubling.

of course, maybe nothing is wrong and this is all according to plan but not showing up at e3 for the first time in your history last year shows a somewhat lack of preparation. did they not know they had e3s every year? stitch a show together like ms did last year. and ms had like no games. sony had dreams, nioh, ff7, death stranding, ghosts, tlou and other exclusives they couldve shown.

and then a year later, miss the most important e3 of the gen? something is up. because if this part of their plan then they need to fire whoever is in charge of skipping the e3 six months before launch.

thats true but so many changes so fast? come on, where there is smoke there is fire.

for example, when andrew ryan stepped down and kodera took over, no one really cared because people leave for various reasons. but when you have the CEO getting replaced in just a year and then another CEO for your studios get replaced, something other than family and health is going on.

A very astute comment. Anyone with a modicum of corporate leadership experience (I frankly have no idea what the user demographics of Era are) knows that these decisions do not happen in a vacuum. CEOs are not shuffled this quickly unless things are very messy internally, or there is a personal emergency. Their entire handling of major trade shows has been incredibly bizarre. Something is amiss internally for sure... but hopefully the console itself does not suffer.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
There's separate thread already, but I'll post it here as it's kinda important for our topic:
www.resetera.com

Matt Booty (Xbox): Our titles for the next year or two will not be next gen exclusive

Tried to paraphrase for the title, and searched for other threads saying this, but couldn’t find any. https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/ Interesting strategy. Makes sense from an install base perspective...

And I can't say that I like it.

I'm fine with this.

I trust MS judgment when it comes to deciding how they'll approach cross-gen development.

With, Halo Infinte it makes sense for the XSX version to be a more detailed port of the version that been in development for xbox one for the last 5 years. They want this game to be as accessible as possible as they look to draw in lapsed Halo fans, pc players, current players and new fans. Making it exclusive to the newest hardware would severely hamper the reach and goodwill they are finally earning with MCC.

With a game like Forza Horizon, their approach to cross-gen has been unique. While Playground made the xbox one version, development forked to another studio to build the 360 version. The result was a game that appeared similar on the surface, but the xb1 version took advantage of the hardware in a way that enabled gameplay elements that were impossible on the 360 version. They were essentially two separate games.

Looking at MS IP, they've got tons of opportunities to take different approaches to cross-gen development. I don't expect everything to be the standard "same game, better graphics" approach.

After 2021 though, once devs have gotten a feel for the hardware, they should start dropping those titles that are built from the ground up for the new gen.

Dec 8, 2018
Ok I hadn't seen this, thanks, I'm guessing it's Godfall. It's impressive alright but doesn't scream "next-gen" to me just yet.

Think you're right that it's gonna take a first party to really make the new hardware sing.

Yes it's godfall and it's made by a small indie developer. I see that and fidelity from a small studio with probably a fraction of the budget, manpower and experience comparable to Sony first party and my head gets racing.

Chaostar

Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying this but I think Crysis 3 easily looks on par with your average AAA multiplat title from this gen.
There could be a few exceptions I guess, I'd have to see direct comparisons to make my own mind up.

Yes it's godfall and it's made by a small indie developer. I see that and fidelity from a small studio with probably a fraction of the budget, manpower and experience comparable to Sony first party and my head gets racing.

I like this attitude 😊👍🏻

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

It wouldn't have the exact same CPU, RAM and storage. They would be able go a bit cheaper on all of those things since the assets are smaller and resolution lower.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm fine with this.

I trust MS judgment when it comes to deciding how they'll approach cross-gen development.

With, Halo Infinte it makes sense for the XSX version to be a more detailed port of the version that been in development for xbox one for the last 5 years. They want this game to be as accessible as possible as they look to draw in lapsed Halo fans, pc players, current players and new fans. Making it exclusive to the newest hardware would severely hamper the reach and goodwill they are finally earning with MCC.

With a game like Forza Horizon, their approach to cross-gen has been unique. While Playground made the xbox one version, development forked to another studio to build the 360 version. The result was a game that appeared similar on the surface, but the xb1 version took advantage of the hardware in a way that enabled gameplay elements that were impossible on the 360 version. They were essentially two separate games.

Looking at MS IP, they've got tons of opportunities to take different approaches to cross-gen development. I don't expect everything to be the standard "same game, better graphics" approach.

After 2021 though, once devs have gotten a feel for the hardware, they should start dropping those titles that are built from the ground up for the new gen.

I'm the opposite I want them to hit the ground running. This gen was a wash, let it die, and start anew.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Releasing exclusive launch software is usually a risk for devs/pubs.
But usually, leaving behind 50-100mil potential consumers for the 5-10 early adopters works because your game stands out in a limited selection.

But this gen, any launch exclusive game is going to be competing with every PS4/XB1 game released, that may now have upgrades renewing interest.

If you're not a First Party dev, and your game doesn't absolutely not work without Next Gen tech, then it would be a very bad business decision to release it exclusive to the smallest audience possible. Particularly when cross-gen is going to be extremely simple this time round.

We know 3rd party devs are going to be cross gen. Which in the past people always griped about. This whole point of debate revolves around 1st party games though. To each his own but if you want $500 from me I want games I can't play anywhere else.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I would argue that we have. Cyberpunk was likely pretty representative of the new consoles capabilities.
It's a game that hasn't even been confirmed for next gen. It will be, of course, but the fact it's coming to ps4 and xbone as well as PC kind of says that it's not really a next gen title.

Agreed. It's such a weird concept to have very strong next gen systems but the better specs don't mean anything for games. Next gen is only going to be about shiny 4k pixels LOL.

The highest quality shiny 4k pixels.

I'm mostly stayed out of this thread as it has descended into madness but thinking that revealing a new logo at CES is embarrassing is quite silly. Also MS has not revealed their specs at all.
The logo hate train has now moved on to sony being lazy by keeping the logo too similar to the ps4 logo.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
I just played Uncharted TLL on an Jaguar and 4.2TF, it is jawdroping. The HDR, the graphics it's beautifull in so many ways.

We are gonna be blown away with next gen games.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
well unlike the ps5 e3 speculation, this isn't something I'm making up. An ms exec us saying they will have cross gen exclusives for the first two years. This isn't debatable. They ARE making the same mistakes. Or rather new mistakes because they at least had the common sense to launch next gen only games last gen.

I don't know how you can compare unreleased and unrevealed next gen ps5 games to current Xbox games but i guess if you like Xbox franchises it makes sense. I've already said that ms won't lose their diehard fans. That's not the point.

I have game pass. I've had gamepass for almost a year. Its a great value but i don't see what this has to do with next gen. You can have next gen only games on gamepass along with last gen games. You don't have to limit your output, handicap your devs, and punish your early adopters just for some parity between subscribers.

See above. We are discussing matt bootys comments. Maybe he's lying or playing some 3d chess with Sony trying to get them to release cross gen games.

Or maybe he means what he says.
Yeah what Matt Booty said is exactly right you're not going to see "next gen exclusives" right away because it's not needed and it wouldn't make sense. It's just common sense games like Call of Duty are going to be cross gen/cross play in fact I doubt anything 3rd party is going to go all in on either PS5 or XSX because selling to 100 million people is better than maybe 1 to maybe 5 million including both systems? Hellblade was emphasized as taking full advantage of XSX and its obvious it's not a launch title. Games like Cyberpunk and Last of Us 2 are next gen games that will work on current hardware and are perfect examples of what we will see for the first year of these consoles. The only reason people are reacting this way is because it's Xbox saying it and it's the cool thing to do in the gaming world

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018

Why would a system targeting 1080p at a lower retail cost need the same RAM and CPU clock speed as one targeting 4K?

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason people are reacting this way is because it's Xbox saying it and it's the cool thing to do in the gaming world
Not true...I'd be saying same thing if Sony announced similar...I'll be buying both consoles but I think this is a terrible decision for the launch of a new console. Currently I play most multiplatform on the one x...and whatever console has better performance for multiplat games I'll do the same next gen...im not a Sony fanboy...

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017

Exactly because it's ps5 and pc...now using this example, this is what people will be saying about Microsoft's cross gen games in the first couple of years.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The casual gamers want prettier graphics on next-gen. They don't care so much about changes to game design.

The success of the Wii on the back of motion controls with comparatively primitive graphics says otherwise. People want new experiences, which can come in the form of graphical fidelity, new input devices, online gaming, and any number of future potential sources. Something novel draws people to spend money faster than simply delivering more of the same (At least over the long haul, safe bets can work in the short run but always run dry eventually.)

Aug 26, 2019
The success of the Wii on the back of motion controls with comparatively primitive graphics says otherwise. People want new experiences, which can come in the form of graphical fidelity, new input devices, online gaming, and any number of future potential sources. Something novel draws people to spend money faster than simply delivering more of the same (At least over the long haul, safe bets can work in the short run but always run dry eventually.)
Motion control was something that was truly novel back then. I don't know how "novel" the changes that SSD and the stronger CPU will be perceived to be by casual gamers.

And the Wii came at a great price too compared to the 360 and PS3.

Feb 26, 2018
Just like VR and WiiU broke the world, huh

It's not that simple as just doing something novel

Status
Not open for further replies.