• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is all next gen launch games are going to be whether its PS5 or XSX. Stop fooling yourself. Look at PS4/XB1 launch titles compares to late gen PS3 and X360 games. There was no new or magical gameplay change that suddenly appeared just because of the new gen. It takes 2-3 for devs to start really taking advantage of the new hardware and by that point MS will have transitioned off of the XB1.

Graphically though KZ Shadowfall and Ryse were a big step up from anything last gen.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The big question, is will MLB The Show support the Xbox One family??
Sports games are the easiest to keep ticking over on an old gen, it's just an iteration of the previous effort, and it's kinda expected that the super casual gamer who plays them isn't the sort to jump hard at a new gen. MLB The Show will run on anything and everything viable.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I think this move makes sense for MS because they don't really care about driving sales for the new consoles - as long as you're in their ecosystem, subbing to Gold and/or GP and giving them that constant stream of recurring revenue, they're fine with it.

Honestly, if Sony allowed them to do GP on the PS5 without getting a cut (what obviously ain't ever happening), they'd probably bow out of the console space altogether.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Graphically though KZ Shadowfall and Ryse were a big step up from anything last gen.
And many cross-gen games will be big leaps too...

Unless you believe it would have been difficult to port games like KZ and Ryse to the PS3/360,or held back those game's designs.. what you've identified is something that is anti-consumer IMO.

Making games exclusive that didn't need to be. I didn't personally see anything that wasn't a graphical upgrade.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
When you see the difference between a game like forza if its cross gen with RT 4-8K 60-120fps vs no rt 4k 60fps you will know why to upgrade lol
Same with when people see a game like PUBG running great compared to the last gen consoles. There will be plenty of things to see why it's time to upgrade. At one point, the X1 will be phased out imo. Just like my old as iphone I need to upgrade.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Same with when people see a game like PUBG running great compared to the last gen consoles. There will be plenty of things to see why it's time to upgrade. At one point, the X1 will be phased out imo. Just like my old as iphone I need to upgrade.
Does Microsoft really want to launch this gen with..."well you'll see over time a reason to upgrade- but you don't really have any huge need to right now unless you want some better graphics and performance because we'll give you all the same content on your current system"?

Especially since you KNOW that PS is going to launch with games that if you wanna play you need to get a PS5 for?

Again, I'll likely be buying both. I just don't get why you'd launch with such a powerful system and then not really give someone a few killer apps that can only be played on this new system you've bought? This is looking like the strategy of a mid-generation upgrade like the X was (same games-improved performance and graphics)...not the strategy of a next-gen launch (new games/experiences that you couldn't get before)....

I get Gamepass is a huge differentiator...but is this gen just to sell a game subscription service?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
And many cross-gen games will be big leaps too...

Unless you believe it would have been difficult to port games like KZ and Ryse to the PS3/360,or held back those game's designs.. what you've identified is something that is anti-consumer IMO.

Making games exclusive that didn't need to be. I didn't personally see anything that wasn't a graphical upgrade.

Well yeah, the primary reason was to attract people to the new systems, I certainly won't argue there. And of course both games could have run on previous gens in stripped down forms, even the Witcher 3 can run on Switch. However, that game and also Ryse and Killzone were graphical showcases. Well while Witcher 3 offers a lot even on Switch, I would say that Ryse and Killzone would lose quite a bit of their impact if released on the previous gen. But yeah, the main reason was a showpiece title for their new console.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
7nm Cell for PS3 BC? ;)

lol
023.gif

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same boat, I am just confused as to what their strategy is. Are they not interested in winning console wars anymore? Or they've thrown in the towel and gone all in on subscription service? Because, if you own any device from previous gen of Xbox family (be it launch Xbox One , Xbox One S, Xbox One X) what incentive do you have to pick a Lockhart/Anaconda at launch this fall? Over PS5? You've been assured that nothing from Xbox FP for 2 years would be missable as they'd be supported on Xbox console which you already own. It's like conceding an open goal to Sony at launch, bizarre.

After thinking about it more and talking to some people who are probably more level headed than me. I don't really think this is anything to be concerned about. In reality we're looking at this only applying to titles within the first year. With their focus on creative independence, I would think they'd work with their studios on what they are cooking up and whether or not those visions can be supported on current gen hardware. So basically if the XBO can support what a studio would like to do, and their schedule can fit within the 2021 year, then it can be a cross gen game. Their incubation process works without the need for approval, so it's not like Booty or Spencer can kill a game idea just because the XBO can't support it if they don't even know what the devs are cooking up initially.

I think once people see how good the games look and run, regardless if it's cross gen or not, this will be a non-issue for most people. There were few innovative games for most of this generation and consoles sold fine. Regardless of how I felt or feel about this approach, I don't see this as any sign of conceding sales to Sony in any way. Everyone here keeps saying that games are most important. So if they provide quality games that look and run amazing on next gen systems, it will be an incentive to buy one of these systems. BF4 was available on the PS360 but that was still the one game I got around launch on the PS4 because I wanted the prettier graphics, faster frame rates, and larger player counts. There's nothing stopping the same thing from happening here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Well yeah, the primary reason was to attract people to the new systems, I certainly won't argue there. And of course both games could have run on previous gens in stripped down forms, even the Witcher 3 can run on Switch. However, that game and also Ryse and Killzone were graphical showcases. Well while Witcher 3 offers a lot even on Switch, I would say that Ryse and Killzone would lose quite a bit of their impact if released on the previous gen. But yeah, the main reason was a showpiece title for their new console.
Yeah I agree; and for the record I don't consider it some awful thing. It's just from an objective standpoint a move made for marketing reasons and not technical ones so those kind of things are by their nature anti-consumer.

But I don't get why we won't see graphical showcase cross-gen games... if you think it's logical that the graphical showcase games of last gen could have been ported to the previous gen, then why are you worried about cross-gen games not being just as big of a graphical showcase?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I'm not convinced that we saw games very different from what was existing before this generation (except for VR). The Witcher 3 is running on a Switch and is nothing more than the same game, but running on previous gen hardware.
But I agree that I don't really know where to put Lockhart in this case.
Witcher was downscaled and is blurry and low res so... Also compare assasins creed unity vs crossgen black flag or ps4 gta 5 vs ps4 rdr2.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if you would have thought it was possible to get Witcher 3 to run on the Switch before it actually happened.
Good grief, The Witcher 3 downgraded to run on Switch and current gen launch titles downgraded to run on last gen aren't even remotely the same thing!

Let's put CPU and GPU aside altogether and just consider the RAM. 360 has a measly 512MB of total RAM and the XB1 was a gargantuan leap of 8GB, 16 times higher. By comparison, Switch has 4GB of RAM, "only" half of the XB1. The Switch version of The Witcher 3 could manage by lowering resolution and texture quality.

Also, nothing in Killzone or Ryse was so special they couldn't run on last gen? The entire fly-through sequence around the city from the trailer in PS4 reveal event would have killed a PS3. At the time, no game on consoles had anywhere near that draw distance and number of assets on screen.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
After thinking about it more and talking to some people who are probably more level headed than me. I don't really think this is anything to be concerned about. In reality we're looking at this only applying to titles within the first year. With their focus on creative independence, I would think they'd work with their studios on what they are cooking up and whether or not those visions can be supported on current gen hardware. So basically if the XBO can support what a studio would like to do, and their schedule can fit within the 2021 year, then it can be a cross gen game. Their incubation process works without the need for approval, so it's not like Booty or Spencer can kill a game idea just because the XBO can't support it if they don't even know what the devs are cooking up initially.

I think once people see how good the games look and run, regardless if it's cross gen or not, this will be a non-issue for most people. There were few innovative games for most of this generation and consoles sold fine. Regardless of how I felt or feel about this approach, I don't see this as any sign of conceding sales to Sony in any way. Everyone here keeps saying that games are most important. So if they provide quality games that look and run amazing on next gen systems, it will be an incentive to buy one of these systems. BF4 was available on the PS360 but that was still the one game I got around launch on the PS4 because I wanted the prettier graphics, faster frame rates, and larger player counts. There's nothing stopping the same thing from happening here.
My point is...Xbox is starting this gen behind...way behind. Starting it off without exclusive games that you can ONLY get on the next gen XBOX(s) is super risky...and I don't think it helps Microsoft to wait a year before they have exclusive games that can only really be pulled off well on a next-gen console...

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
My point is...Xbox is starting this gen behind...way behind. Starting it off without exclusive games that you can ONLY get on the next gen XBOX(s) is super risky...and I don't think it helps Microsoft to wait a year before they have exclusive games that can only really be pulled off well on a next-gen console...

My point is a good game is a good game. If they can provide great games that still look and run amazingly well on an SX, why can't that be incentive to buy the system?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Sure! That is what temporal components in denoisers can do. Like anything done over time in real time rendering, that causes problems of its own. Ghosting is introduced on movement, the real resolution shows up when things move... so you get a crumbly looking/noisy resolve when the screen moves.

That works - but I would not imagine it to be done for RT effects that take up a lot of screen space or heavily affect the image. If you had RT GI for example and it was very unstable, you could imagine the game visuals being very negatively affected.

As an example: RT reflections in BF5 on Ultra are about 40% rays per pixel... and are pretty stable since and non ghosty since BFV's denoiser is purposefully not accumulating too much over time. It is high feedback. But there are not too many huge reflections on screen all the time with that game's art.

Metro RT GI on High (not ultra) is Half Resolution then checkerboard reconstructed up to full res.

So it works.
Doesn't BFV divid the screen into tiles and spends it's ray budget according to the content of the tiles so it is able to reach 1RPP where it matters?
Wasn't there a potent about a processor dedicated to decompression?
yea, iirc going by the patent they are using a separate ASIC chip for decompression so that the SSD could be used without wasting CPU or GPU performance. not decompression via the GPU.
You can buy similar generic controllers that have at least one ARM processor and SRAM from companies like Marvell so if MS or Sony think it's important, they could just buy it generic. I wouldn't call it special sauce.

Your wallet is ready? :)
Oh my wallet is ready. I'm buys Switch Pro day one.
How exactly would a Switch Pro work, home console mode only (so opposite of Switch lite)?

I wonder how well that would actually do in comparison to the standard models. Personally I have no interest since I dont play my Switch enough to justify upgrading but I cant imagine it doing amazingly when put up against the PS5 XBSX since it would then be a direct comparison instead of something different like the Switch currently is.
I would assume it will be an upgraded version of the current switch, not docked only version. I would love to see a Switch with a 900p OLED screen.
thats 4c/8t? or 8c/16t?
I think it's the latest thing Lisa showed the other day, so 8c.

edit: what Anex said above.

Sounds good for die space anexanhume !

cc Colbert , DrKeo
It's the 8c chiplet. Not very exciting news considering we've been assuming 70mm^2 for months :)

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Does Microsoft really want to launch this gen with..."well you'll see over time a reason to upgrade- but you don't really have any huge need to right now unless you want some better graphics and performance because we'll give you all the same content on your current system"?

Especially since you KNOW that PS is going to launch with games that if you wanna play you need to get a PS5 for?

Again, I'll likely be buying both. I just don't get why you'd launch with such a powerful system and then not really give someone a few killer apps that can only be played on this new system you've bought? This is looking like the strategy of a mid-generation upgrade like the X was (same games-improved performance and graphics)...not the strategy of a next-gen launch (new games/experiences that you couldn't get before)....

I get Gamepass is a huge differentiator...but is this gen just to sell a game subscription service?
I'd like to think when people see the new Forza, or Halo... some 3rd party games and see the way they look and run. I'd imagine that would get people to want to upgrade. Twitch streams and word of mouth also.

I mean we have to just wait and see. I can't say for certain that next gen cross gen games will be worse because of it. Not until we're living in that moment. Again, just my thoughts.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone send Phil Spencer some digital calipers? I'm done with all this guesswork. Also: pencil Cerny in for my 3pm.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Console sales is not the most important factor to Microsoft. Keeping customers in GamePass on any device is. It's only until end of 2021 anyways...so it's really not a big deal...those consoles will sell out to the people who were gonna buy it at launch anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
My point is a good game is a good game. If they can provide great games that still look and run amazingly well on an SX, why can't that be incentive to buy the system?
Right, I think quality should be the most important thing. The cross gen thing won't matter much if they're putting out quality games. If it goes similar to how most of the gen has gone for them reception wise, it'd be a focus.

I think the only thing reviewers would potentially hold against MS games would be how they feel "dated" in some ways. There are certain design elements that pop up with each gen and the new gen would bring new expectations. It was similar to the The Order with how they had random stacked boxes through the streets and made it feel like a PS360 game. I think having SSDs and way better tech will bring about new things in that regard.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Console sales is not the most important factor to Microsoft. Keeping customers in GamePass on any device is. It's only until end of 2021 anyways...so it's really not a big deal...those consoles will sell out to the people who were gonna buy it at launch anyways.
Not necessarily. The Xbox one did not sell out day 1.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What games used this gens console to the max the first year anyways? Even exclusives. The first year or two is still a transition phase for both consoles whether there's exclusives for them or not.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Right, I think quality should be the most important thing. The cross gen thing won't matter much if they're putting out quality games. If it goes similar to how most of the gen has gone for them reception wise, it'd be a focus.

I think the only thing reviewers would potentially hold against MS games would be how they feel "dated" in some ways. There are certain design elements that pop up with each gen and the new gen would bring new expectations. It was similar to the The Order with how they had random stacked boxes through the streets and made it feel like a PS360 game. I think having SSDs and way better tech will bring about new things in that regard.

I guess that depends on what the reviewers or players would consider innovative. To me, outside of the scope of some games, the majority of games this gen seem to be pretty versions of what we got last gen with more solid frame rates. MGSV was one of the most innovative games this gen in terms of gameplay, not level design mind you, but the sheer options in how you can approach a mission but it was also cross gen. RDR2 is one of the few instances where it truly felt innovative with the world, AI, etc. even though the gameplay itself could have been replicated on last gen hardware.

Were looking at this approach applying to their games for the first year, max. There's nothing to say we have seen the end of innovation with current hardware and we don't know if they would limit any major advantages on next gen hardware. Groups of enemies can possibly be larger in Halo Infinite for example. If Forza 8 is at launch and cross gen, physics can be more advanced, damage more realistic, etc.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What games used this gens console to the max the first year anyways? Even exclusives. The first year or two is still a transition phase for both consoles whether there's exclusives for them or not.

Even in 2020 I can't think of a game that is drastically different than what I was playing in 2012 on an Xbox 360 or PS3.

If there is some grand design philosophy change that happens because of these new consoles and XSX games are held back because they're supporting Xbox one then I understand the concern.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Witcher was downscaled and is blurry and low res so... Also compare assasins creed unity vs crossgen black flag or ps4 gta 5 vs ps4 rdr2.

I don't say there is no difference, just that nearly every game from this gen would be possible on the previous one. With a lot of tweaks and maybe unplayable for most of us, but still.
I don't see a big problem on crossgen games : they will look far better on XSX. I'm more "concerned" about the fact that it won't really make people want to change their console in my opinion.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Even in 2020 I can't think of a game that is drastically different than what I was playing in 2012 on an Xbox 360 or PS3.

If there is some grand design philosophy change that happens because of these new consoles and XSX games are held back because they're supporting Xbox one then I understand the concern.
I don't see any game drastically different than gta vice city or mafia from 2002 so... ;)

Aug 26, 2019
I honestly think it'll take a little longer to see the SSD and CPU used to really change gameplay. For the first couple of years, faster loading and higher framerate are what I expect.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With that cross-gen publishing strategy and Lockhart as a baseline, Sony 1P and 3P exclusives will look like running on a PS6.

This time devs tools won't have to migrate from an architecture radically different.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think it'll take a little longer to see the SSD and CPU used to really change gameplay. For the first couple of years, faster loading and higher framerate are what I expect.
And I believe Sony will have something from there WWS that will show case the new ssd and cpu that will make those games impossible to be ported without a Change in the design philosophy. AI interaction should be big. Imagine the AI crowd from AC unity being more diverse with there interaction

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
I think some PS5 exclusives will be the 1st.

Not sure about 3rd party games and I wonder how ports to PC will work as not every PC has nvme/ssd's?

Status
Not open for further replies.