• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that "4k/60" is without RT. without any clue as to how well AMD's RT solution works, it's hard to say any which way
yeah I'd guess so, just let my hype overtake my unrealistic expectations for it. Unless we get some naughty dog level optimization that utilizes RT on a whole other level while maximizing the strengths of these weaker-than-high-end-pc cards

Xbox Series X is already confirmed to have 2 GPUs:

Graphics Processing Unit
Game Pass Ultimate

I don't get why everyone's acting like it's a big deal
Okay I lold

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, i have spent $350 trying to get rid of this humming noise in my gaming PC. it comes on any time i run the games at 4k 60 fps and then stays on while i browse this thread for the next few hours. it annoyed me so much i took it the shop. they suggested replacing the stock cpu cooler and upgrading the psu. that cost $350 because labor alone was $140.

i bring it back and the noise is still there.

so what does this have to do with this thread? turns out its something called coil whine and its been a thing plaguing high end gpus forever. it seems to affect a lot of rtx gpus presumably because of the power requirements and their size or maybe they are just poorly made. it has something to do with how power is distributed to different parts of the gpu.

if next gen gpus are that big. we are going to get a very different kind of sound that no cooling system can suppress. good luck to ms and sony.

its a super annoying sound and apparently zotac offers an RMA for it. im returning it tomorrow and hopefully getting one that doesnt hum like a robot peeing for 2 hours. i feel stupid for spending $350 on a psu and heatsink replacement but thats what you get for trusting mechanics.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I'd guess so, just let my hype overtake my unrealistic expectations for it. Unless we get some naughty dog level optimization that utilizes RT on a whole other level while maximizing the strengths of these weaker-than-high-end-pc cards
yea, I don't see that. if AMD's patent is how their RT will work, then you'll have instances where you have to choose as RT will use up some of the parts of the compute unit

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The man has not said anything yet and the thread already gone off the rails.
We really need some info on the PS meeting or something else cause it's getting harder to read this thread.

Feb 23, 2019
The man has not said anything yet and the thread already gone off the rails.
We really need some info on the PS meeting or something else cause it's getting harder to read this thread.

My speculation is that the PS5 meeting wont be announced until closer to the meeting. Sony will want to make sure they have everything ready before the meeting. So we're still potentially a few weeks out from a date, if it's going to happen in february

Oct 25, 2017
Feb 23, 2019
Probably personal attacks mixed with people constantly asking him for info that he made clear he wasn't divulging because of the security of his source. He said he wasn't digging the attention and I feel him.

I don't see why he can't just ignore those posters, though. Unfortunate situation to see him gone for a few bad eggs.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
So, i have spent $350 trying to get rid of this humming noise in my gaming PC. it comes on any time i run the games at 4k 60 fps and then stays on while i browse this thread for the next few hours. it annoyed me so much i took it the shop. they suggested replacing the stock cpu cooler and upgrading the psu. that cost $350 because labor alone was $140.

i bring it back and the noise is still there.

so what does this have to do with this thread? turns out its something called coil whine and its been a thing plaguing high end gpus forever. it seems to affect a lot of rtx gpus presumably because of the power requirements and their size or maybe they are just poorly made. it has something to do with how power is distributed to different parts of the gpu.

if next gen gpus are that big. we are going to get a very different kind of sound that no cooling system can suppress. good luck to ms and sony.

its a super annoying sound and apparently zotac offers an RMA for it. im returning it tomorrow and hopefully getting one that doesnt hum like a robot peeing for 2 hours. i feel stupid for spending $350 on a psu and heatsink replacement but thats what you get for trusting mechanics.
It probably would've been cheaper if you flew me out there to diagnose/fix it for you. How much is a ticket from chicago to wherever you are?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why he can't just ignore those posters, though. Unfortunate situation to see him gone for a few bad eggs.

Probably wanted to use that time for other stuff too. Seems like he's big on family so I think all of the chaos was pushing him to enjoy his time more wisely. I never got the idea that a few fanboys drove him off. Dude is an OG and has been on message boards for decades and that's after he wrote for mags. He can handle a fanboy or 2. Fun aside, as a teen I used to walk all over New Orleans going store to store to get the latest issue of GameFan and it was largely because of him. Didn't see many Black folks in games journalism so I always dug that. He's a good cat, he'll probably be back one day.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The second part actually sounds great. Since we're not getting split threads, that would be a good alternative.
Kind of sad that i can't come up with a reason not to do that.........
I'm largely unaware of all the intricate snake-like politicing and drama that goes on here in regards to whatever love/hate/worship/attacks that go on here in regards to insiders and whatnot.

I believe I've said this before years ago - and it remains true universally imo.

To those whom it applies, both negatively and positively - can't you all treat other people like a normal human being, preferably as if you're with that person as if you're in the same room together.
You are expecting too much of people who like companies far too much. If they were in the same room and someone dared to say that one would be stronger. I think hell would be paradise compared to that room.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably would've been cheaper if you flew me out there to diagnose/fix it for you. How much is a ticket from chicago to wherever you are?
lol im in ohio. you couldve driven here. ;p i have done that drive in 5 and a half hours. only one stop.

i kept telling the guy to just install a quieter case which is the main reason why i went there in the first place. he had the damn thing for a full day and couldnt figure out if the noise was coming from the cpu or the gpu. its the best reviewed computer shop in the city too.

i googled gpu noise and got coil whine as the first hit. $800 and these manufacturers cant make something that doesnt buzz.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that the "Github is the best we have" argument always comes from the same group of users.

Give it a rest please.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Me too lol

This thread has its own vibe. I'm pretty sure it will circulate again if necessary. We have enough heat and confusion honestly I'm glad someone gave that shrug.
Eh, at this point I'll happily accept garbage tech discussion as long as it's tech discussion. I'm up for Cell 2 vs. dual GPU.

If it's a single AMD GPU, it's probably over 15TF which doesn't seem to be relevant to this thread :)
Obviously AMD can put their parts into whatever they want for whatever testing they want, I just find it amusing the one benchmark leak of what appears to be their biggest and most powerful video card ever is paired with a laptop CPU. Laptop CPU + big ol' GPU is basically the modern console formula, after all.

I did find Lisa Su's discussion of cutting power usage in half with their mobile GPUs rather interesting; probably too late in the process to have much impact for these two consoles, but I'm not sure we have any way of knowing that for sure.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I figured raytracing would be better than what we currently have or started out with in the PC space for the simple reason that time and experience comes into play. Being as a person who thought raytracing would be in the launch console (xbox at the time...I wasn't sure on sony, glad that they are as well) it's not surprising that years later we would have better capabilities. Also gotta remember that devs have more time with the techniques used. We'll have more white papers on the subject. GDC will be a good place to talk about some more in depth techniques and how it's being used.

Then on the hardware side, of course AMD looked at solutions and you have MS who worked with Nvidia on bringing raytracing to PCs so you cross the knowledge bases when designing the chips for the consoles (along with AMD have smart people working there as well) and it makes sense. Along with AMD is looking to bring high performance at a lower cost...Nvidia is more like...fuck you guys, you gonna pay for this shit.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie. My expectations were quite a bit more conservative than what we're seeing, so I definitely need to raise them.

I can't wait to see what comes out of GDC. It's also going to be exciting to see RT utilization evolve throughout the generation.

Just as NAVI was rushed to market, so was RTX. The jump with ampere will be big. AMD's patent addresses things NVIDIA didn't implement in time and some things that must be addressed in DXR as well.

You have any links to the AMD patents? I wouldn't mind learning more about their approach.

Jun 23, 2019
Probably wanted to use that time for other stuff too. Seems like he's big on family so I think all of the chaos was pushing him to enjoy his time more wisely. I never got the idea that a few fanboys drove him off. Dude is an OG and has been on message boards for decades and that's after he wrote for mags. He can handle a fanboy or 2. Fun aside, as a teen I used to walk all over New Orleans going store to store to get the latest issue of GameFan and it was largely because of him. Didn't see many Black folks in games journalism so I always dug that. He's a good cat, he'll probably be back one day.

This is what he told me before he left:

Just want to say thank you for all that you've done. Proud to see a black man can have such an impact on the video game industry and inspires me to continue my journey to get there one day. You can rest now.

I wish you every amount of success.

Don't give up and don't allow ANYONE to let you feel any less of a person because of the color of your skin.

Godspeed.

That resonated with me.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Obviously AMD can put their parts into whatever they want for whatever testing they want, I just find it amusing the one benchmark leak of what appears to be their biggest and most powerful video card ever is paired with a laptop CPU. Laptop CPU + big ol' GPU is basically the modern console formula, after all.

It's the 4800h along with a 6Gb nvidia card. No big navi inside unless that laptop ran 3 gpus.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
But hold on.

If we know that old data is confirmed, then we can speculate on how it might have changed/been upgraded etc.

HMB and Dual GPUs is literally nothing. From nowhere. Grounded in nothing. That's not speculation that's just...nothing.
All we know is that the data itself is real. What we don't know is if this data has anything to do with PS5 and as far as I know, outside of speculating clock speeds and CUs, there has been no confirmation of those chips being inside PS5.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over the years the dreams and fairy dust have won .
If we go by some in this thread we were getting 8TF to 10TF GNC HDD no RT consoles .
Sure somethings sound crazy dual GPUs lol but most of the time it not outlandish .
dual gpus is insane but there is a dual gpu out there. test results were posted just today and it shows it beating a rtx 2080 ti.

now this is the 505mm2 big navi. the so-called nvidia killer. it simply wont be in a console. it doesnt need to be. you dont need a 20 tflops gpu. but we do know that the ms apu is over 400mm2. i remember when the estimates at e3 were first posted, there was speculation that it was almost 400mm2, but even the people who came up with that figure downgraded it to 380mm2 and then to 360mm2. no one believed that ms could be going with an apu that large.

sony doesnt need an 80 cu gpu to get to 12-14 tflops. they can get there with a 56 cu gpu which should fit within a 360mm2 apu as long as they are willing to cut down the zen 2 and go with hbm. but it doesnt matter really. no one here believes in dual gpus. i pretty much live in this thread and i have never seen anyone really throw it out there as a real possibility. more people bitch about it being mentioned than people who throw it out there as an outlandish possibility.

to me, its as asinine as expecting the ps5 to be a 300mm2 apu. 50mm2 smaller than the ps4 was at 28nm. 200mm2 smaller than the ps3 discrete cpu and gpu chips. 250mm2 smaller than the emotion engine chip. its laughable, but we entertain it because well thats what we do here. if we started to bitch about it every time someone brought it up, this thread would be an even bigger mess. no idea why people get so butthurt over someone even remotely bringing up dual gpus.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Why is it that the "Github is the best we have" argument always comes from the same group of users.

Give it a rest please.

Mate. I'm right here.

This is the first time I've mentioned GitHub. Which was only in response to it being mentioned in response to a post I made.

I was merely commenting on using something factual for the basis of speculation vs speculation for speculation's sake.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Give it a rest please.
There's always the same people to dismiss them as well. Shits flying both ways and always will. Everyone needs to chill. They're both gonna be great consoles and it's guaranteed both consoles will be better at something.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
User Warned: Console war rhetoric

Give it a rest please.
Like I said when they're both close in power and their efforts to slow PS5 down are in vain...they'll be ok.

The funny part is that they think they're somehow flying above the radar and "only speculating."

Status
Not open for further replies.