• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Nifty, I wish you luck with that :)

Yes. The only thing I can say without being vetted and getting myself in trouble being new here is that the overall FLOPS shouldn't really be a talking point. The machines are so close in terms of raw power that other things will be the deciding factor in what runs better or which has situational advantages. At least that's my personal take on the situation.

Yup, pretty much what all the other insiders have been saying for months so this isn't a surprise.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Being verified on the other site means nothing and is considered a bannable offense, be careful
Being verified elsewhere isn't a bannable offense; talking about a specific other site IS bannable.

Pretending to have verified information without being vetted/verified here is bannable if you continue to do so without getting properly vetted prior.

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France
User Banned (3 days): platform warring and antagonizing other users
And the cycle continues, something new to latch onto and place all of your hopes and dreams on

Lets be a little more careful this time

Being verified on the other site means nothing and is considered a bannable offense, be careful

Stop feeling threatened every time an insider post here 😂
You're so insecure about XSX ?
Both machines will be great ;)

Aug 26, 2019
I just realized that all the way back in mid-2018 Jason said in the next-gen thread that Sony would be done with their current line-up by Summer 2020, then it would be time for new consoles.

I know it's not the most difficult thing to predict, but he got it down to a tee with GoT having a launch window of Summer 2020. This was back in mid-2018 when we really didn't have much of an idea of when GoT, Death Stranding, and TLOU2 were releasing.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Silicon has a few more node rolls, and a major topology change with GAAFET, but the future beyond that is more than silicon.
Still part of the problem though. Like a 300mm2 chip at 28nm would cost less than a 300mm2 chip at 7nm. One could argue that do we then need a 300mm2 chip at 7nm? Well we do, because now we aren' just looking at a weak jaguar CP but one with actual muscle, which needs more cache and RAM to feed it, which is multi-threaded, which runs at a higher clock, which needs better cooling...etc.

Advancement tax.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If Osiris wants to have a good time here, it is better he says nothing. Every "insider" that gave even a hint of what they know behind the scenes regretted it. Reiner hounded by fanboys on Twitter. Jason got sick of sites that lurk this thread for easy news hits taking his every word and using it as a big, attention grabbing headline. Klee suffering for weeks of passive-aggressive sniping until he requested a ban.

Klee requested a ban? Geez. For how long?

Edit- this is why we can't have good things. This has also happened on another sports forum I post at. We had fighters who posted on the forum, but there were too many idiots that drove them out.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Still part of the problem though. Like a 300mm2 chip at 28nm would cost less than a 300mm2 chip at 7nm. One could argue that do we then need a 300mm2 chip at 7nm? Well we do, because now we aren' just looking at a weak jaguar CP but one with actual muscle, which needs more cache and RAM to feed it, which is multi-threaded, which runs at a higher clock, which needs better cooling...etc.

Advancement tax.
Performance per transistor necessarily goes down, and cost per mm^2 goes up. It's inevitable. Fortunately they've been very clever to mitigate the first one.

Cant comment on this until I get vetted but I would guess hes not just saying it to be saying it. He is pretty well connected.
The thing is that even if this is valid, Pachter is not a technical guy. Higher TF numbers aren't going to push him into this opinion IMO. It would be the feature set (RT) and technologies included (SSD, DS5 with screen). Maybe RAM amount. That's my amateur take.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that even if this is valid, Pachter is not a technical guy. Higher TF numbers aren't going to push him into this opinion IMO. It would be the feature set (RT) and technologies included (SSD, DS5 with screen). Maybe RAM amount. That's my amateur take.
Yeah, I thought it could either be a more buffed coprocessor or SSD. AMD does have that Shift tech after all.

Well, if it's true. Was fun to theorycraft for a while.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Being verified elsewhere isn't a bannable offense; talking about a specific other site IS bannable.

Pretending to have verified information without being vetted/verified here is bannable if you continue to do so without getting properly vetted prior.
Why wasn't he posting here the whole time? Anyways, I'm not going to talk about this publicly so feel free to PM me, it's just derailing (and pointless).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, what sort of figures are being tossed around for Ariel in relation to Oberon? Similar or is Ariel a lot less powerful? While that could lead to a Lockhart situation I do still like the idea of a PS5 Portable :)

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, what sort of figures are being tossed around for Ariel in relation to Oberon? Similar or is Ariel a lot less powerful? While that could lead to a Lockhart situation I do still like the idea of a PS5 Portable :)
PS5 Portable? Yea...you'll get that through streaming...ain't no native device.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
PS5 Portable? Yea...you'll get that through streaming...ain't no native device.
Your a dreamer and i cant hate that lol

lol, yeah.

Well my theory and hope was always that Sony would wait until around 2022 or 2023 for 3nm fabs to be up and running so they could squeeze enough power into a PS5 Portable without having to carry around a car battery to run it. I still hold that hope, but if Ariel is on the table again for some reason then I suppose any number of possibilities could come from it. Dual GPU, base and Pro model, portable PS5... :)

EDIT. Dang, DP again :(

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, one thing interesting about Komachi's tweet on the list of CPUIDs is that he didnt list the 00840F40 as Oberon E0, but Ariel.

Either a mistake or there's something he is thinking otherwise.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, one thing interesting about Komachi's tweet on the list of CPUIDs is that he didnt list the 00840F40 as Oberon E0, but Ariel.

There is quite a bit that has not been consistent with the codenames and timelines and testing. What I did notice is that Oberon was being stored within Ariel subfolders, so that could be why it is continually called Ariel..

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking into it.

Thank you and hello.

Yes. The only thing I can say without being vetted and getting myself in trouble being new here is that the overall FLOPS shouldn't really be a talking point. The machines are so close in terms of raw power that other things will be the deciding factor in what runs better or which has situational advantages. At least that's my personal take on the situation.
And it begins...

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay.

beta

Dec 31, 2019

I think it's just a mistake. My question is what do the last two digits refer to ? They seem to be going up a lot higher then some other APUs?. The second digit is the only one changing for Oberon and Ariel whilst for other APUs the last digit seems to change too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, yeah.

Well my theory and hope was always that Sony would wait until around 2022 or 2023 for 3nm fabs to be up and running so they could squeeze enough power into a PS5 Portable without having to carry around a car battery to run it. I still hold that hope, but if Ariel is on the table again for some reason then I suppose any number of possibilities could come from it. Dual GPU, base and Pro model, portable PS5... :)

EDIT. Dang, DP again :(
3nm isn't gonna get you a portable PS5

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I still find an E stepping to be a bit high. I'm no engineer but 5 steppings sound like there were issues with the chips or as some have suggested they were waiting on tech? I don't know which would be more probable, maybe someone more technical could explain it better.

Jun 23, 2019
I still find an E stepping to be a bit high. I'm no engineer but 5 steppings sound like there were issues with the chips or as some have suggested they were waiting on tech? I don't know which would be more probable, maybe someone more technical could explain it better.

I believe someone had stated that it doesn't necessarily mean that there were problems and issues, but more that a step like that was indicative of a big change overall.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
3nm isn't gonna get you a portable PS5

Damn, can't even let a man dream. lol

Hehe, while I lack knowledge of the numbers to make anything resembling a serious case for it, I'm hoping that AMD's recent push towards mobile, combined with their partnership with Samsung to create powerful graphics for portable devices will bear fruit to provide something that can mimic the PS5's power but at 720p or MAYBE 1080p resolutions in ~3 years after a couple of die shrinks. Make it larger like a Switch if it's needed, but gosh darnit I want it! :)

sujay

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone seems to be convinced about OsirisBlack but when I googled the name, I see them posting about PS4 Pro before its release and it seems to be all wrong info. Am I missing something?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone seems to be convinced about OsirisBlack but when I googled the name, I see them posting about PS4 Pro before its release and it seems to be all wrong info. Am I missing something?
Believe what you want to believe. All insider's information should be treated as rumor. But when many tend to say the same thing or approximately, then there may be something to it.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just a mistake. My question is what do the last two digits refer to ? They seem to be going up a lot higher then some other APUs?. The second digit is the only one changing for Oberon and Ariel whilst for other APUs the last digit seems to change too.
That's the interesting thing. Maybe beta is right and it's more of a case that it's because Oberon is a derivative of Ariel, because she was one of the first that revealed the Oberon codename in the first place.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Osiris has a history on the other site, but I don't have enough knowledge about that to really comment.

For the here and now though, Osiris is just like any other average poster here. If they seek to become verified with the mods then we'll be taking what they have to say more seriously.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds about right. But let's stay on topic. :)
I can't wait for GDC and see what the game devs talk about.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Damn, can't even let a man dream. lol

Hehe, while I lack knowledge of the numbers to make anything resembling a serious case for it, I'm hoping that AMD's recent push towards mobile, combined with their partnership with Samsung to create powerful graphics for portable devices will bear fruit to provide something that can mimic the PS5's power but at 720p or MAYBE 1080p resolutions in ~3 years after a couple of die shrinks. Make it larger like a Switch if it's needed, but gosh darnit I want it! :)
portables lag behind because batteries can't put out enough power, new battery tech would go way further on pushing portables faster than 3mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.