• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
At E3 Sony should have all of their 1st party demos that use gameplay be selected from the PS5 home menu then quick loaded into the game, just to flex. Also, just for fun, the other tiles on the home screen should be images that vaguely hint at games in production that they aren't ready to show. Just as a little Easter egg and to give folks like us something else to speculate and get hyped about.
Yeah that'd be cool. Speculation for a potential Crackdown 3 actually began when someone noticed that the Xbox One OS demo had a tile with Crackdown agility orb.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and they are also spoofing the processor ID to make it seem like a Jaguar:
a-proposed-flowchart-for-the-system.original.jpg

Yes. So, in my mind those levers exist to enforce strict compatibility modes. Once you're in boost mode with a significantly higher clock, I think strict compatibility modes are pretty much out the window. It may be enough to just obscure or selectively disable features/resources.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I forgot this. Poor guy...
Don't feel sorry for him. Watch his explanation of why he fucked up. He never practiced or rehearsed and spent the whole day sightseeing. iirc he was late to the ea booth and missed the rehersal.

it should be on his youtube channel.

edit: it seems like he rehearsed but in the rehearsal the teleprompter was different than the speech they gave him.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Yes. So, in my mind those levers exist to enforce strict compatibility modes. Once you're in boost mode with a significantly higher clock, I think strict compatibility modes are pretty much out the window. It may be enough to just obscure or selectively disable features/resources.
The question is, how many games will break once that happens. There are a lot of games suffering from boost mode bugs on Pro and that's the exact same CPU only with different clock speed. So what will happen when both the clock and the architecture changes? Who knows. Maybe they will have another mode with everything on, boost mode and ultra boost mode or something :)

BTW, another one of their BC patents, replacing assets in BC games with new assets, basiclly an artist remastering the game without touching the code:
rrgUfxQ.jpg

koop12

Jan 8, 2020
I won't be surprised if Sony doesn't mention the exact TF number and MS doesn't mention the exact SSD speed.

I could see next gen being defined by whoever has the crazy good storage tech. If you're 2 Tflops below the competition, it's not a big deal when it's a difference of 20% and maybe shadows are tuned a little lower with less ground clutter. However if you're loading 20% faster, that sounds yummy to me.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
The question is, how many games will break once that happens. There are a lot of games suffering from boost mode bugs on Pro and that's the exact same CPU only with different clock speed. So what will happen when both the clock and the architecture changes? Who knows. Maybe they will have another mode with everything on, boost mode and ultra boost mode or something :)

BTW, another one of their BC patents, replacing assets in BC games with new assets, basiclly an artist remastering the game without touching the code:
rrgUfxQ.jpg

YOLO mode. 😄

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I could see next gen being defined by whoever has the crazy good storage tech. If you're 2 Tflops below the competition, it's not a big deal when it's a difference of 20% and maybe shadows are tuned a little lower with less ground clutter. However if you're loading 20% faster, that sounds yummy to me.
Microsoft have already said the Series X is going to have virtually no loading times. I don't think you're going to see notable differences in that area.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
s-l1600.jpg

I make a point of it in the video, but glass's perpendicular reflectivity to you looking to it is very dependent on the background behind the glass itself. The darker that background behind it is, the more stark the reflected light from the front looks.

So yeah, transparent glass definitely can look very "mirror" like if the room / area lighting conditions and area materials from the perspective of the viewer line up.
controlglassqxj3p.jpg

If you look at this screen shot from control from that same video - the reflection of that electronics dish in the transparent glass is more visible in the area behind the glass that is dark than it is in the area behind the glass that is whitish!

That woud be bad ass. But to be honest, unless we are given a tech person to talk to - our interviews can be TERRIBLY off-topic for DF.
This real life example is definitely more subtle

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gonzalo is a motherboard? i remember that the github leak states gonzalo as the apu or thats just name confusion?

hardseppo

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I am just hoping for a Perfect Dark from The Initiative. And for a Horizon 2 from Guerilla. Extra TF are nice of course, but I am here for the games and since SEGA won't make a console again, my inner fanboy died anyway... hahahaha

[I was working for SEGA in Austria from the Mega Drive to the Dreamcast days... was the best job ever, although we didn't matter much but still got all those nice Beta's for EPROM and later on disc ;) - sry for off-topic]

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I am just hoping for a Perfect Dark from The Initiative. And for a Horizon 2 from Guerilla. Extra TF are nice of course, but I am here for the games and since SEGA won't make a console again, my inner fanboy died anyway... hahahaha

[I was working for SEGA in Austria from the Mega Drive to the Dreamcast days... was the best job ever, although we didn't matter much but still got all those nice Beta's for EPROM and later on disc ;) - sry for off-topic]
There was someone in the Xbox OT claiming that The Coalition is working on Perfect Dark as a side project, but more in a preproduction/prototyping stage. He said they're working on multiplayer first, and would move onto single player once they nail the MP mechanics. Can't speak to his credentials, so I'm not sure how reliable the rumor is.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It would be incredibly stupid for Sony to let Xbox dominate the conversation on E3 week.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
But it looks different if you add the Pro.

PS4PRO - 415$

The inflation adjusted difference between the consoles in this scenario is $83.

The actual non adjusted prices for the consoles is about the same - $100

PS1 - 299$
PS2 - 299$
PS4 - 399$
PS4PRO - 399$

I'm not saying consoles won't go up with inflation - they clearly did and they will again. However, there was a 13 year gap (in your example) between PS2 and PS4 when the actual price went up. It didn't in the 5 years between the PS1 and PS2. And it didn't in the 3 years between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

(and there are plenty of successful consoles that make the argument against inflation - Nintendo consoles are well below the inflation rate)

Given that the PS4 Pro launched in 2016, and the inflation adjusted price for that only varies by $15, I don't think that's a case that there is room to move up in Gen 9. Inflation will matter for consoles at some point, but I don't think it's 2020.

Doing quick math: The average inflation rate for the last decade (throwing out the highest and lowest) is 1.8%. Projecting forward, the time where a 2016 $399 console = $500 (assuming 2% inflation) is 2027
I am not for or about inflation as the justifier for why console pries should or would go up. ut I do believe they will and should.

My reasoning for this is what I call "necessary tech", or better yet let's call it an advancement tax.

Prior to the PS360 gen, consoles basically had a fixed number of components. Processor, disc drive, controller....etc. Come to the PS360 gen, things like HDDs, cooling systems (or at least more elaborate ones), more expensive disc drives, and a slew of wireless apparatus were tacked on. Not much changed with the move into the current-gen. With next-gen, where the tech tax will end up going to is with RAM, SSD, and cooling. I believe those three areas would have them spending more money on them than they did in the current-gen while most of everything else wil remain about the same. They may also be spending more money on their respective APUs.

So for me, it's not about inflation, but that as time progresses certain kinds of tech trends are either necessitated or made mandatory and they add to hiking up prices.

Eg, A Blu ray drive will cost no less than $25. A UHD drive will cost no less than $35. A 1TB HDD will cost no less than $25. A 1TB SSD at launch may just not be able to cost any less than $40. Cooling a 160W console may have cost no less than $40, cooling a 200W+ system may require more advanced cooling and may cost no less than $60. We are already $40 "more expensive" and we haven't even got to things like RAM and the APU.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Well it is not like I can find an exact replica of the glass and scene or something!
Understand but still think that this first rt games want to show rt reflections so much that they kinda looks unnatural, I'm sure when rt will be more common in nextgen consoles games effects also will be more subtle and better.

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think this?

Also, not producing the same number of units yet being demand-limited is contradictory.
I've already said it more than once. They do not have the same worldwide situation. Sony will be selling to more countries. MS won't have to produce as many because they won't be selling in as many countries. Thus, a 2:1 in Sony's favor makes logical sense. We saw the same thing happen in the beginning of this gen.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted already, but there's an OpenVR benchmark with an unknown AMD gpu "crushing" the 2080ti by a 17% margin.
As big Navi is part of the discussion here, here's the link:

Posted on previous pages. It's a laptop running a an amd apu and a rtx 2060. Either way, the results don't add up so it's either a spoofed product ID or fake or who knows what.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I've already said it more than once. They do not have the same worldwide situation. Sony will be selling to more countries. MS won't have to produce as many because they won't be selling in as many countries. Thus, a 2:1 in Sony's favor makes logical sense. We saw the same thing happen in the beginning of this gen.
No we didn't, they were pretty equal in the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.