• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why your thinking this way i was just showing the other side the one that a lot of people will also take, even with gamepass i still buy most of the games i want to play i hardly have time for the games i really want so i tend to be quality over quantity kinda guy, not saying that the games aren't quality they just often aren't the game i want to play when i have the time

Oh yea dude I totally get you. I'll say this.. If Spiderman is there I'm gonna have a harrddd time not getting it on day one. I'm thinking of trading both my PS4 pro and One X consoles and just upgrade both consoles especially since BC seems to be a given now

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Should we post pictures of the "sold out" PS3 and X1 on shelves? I remember all the threads on GAF about MS saying they were sold out and people from around the world posting pics of stacks of X1s on shelves.

How about 18 vs 14 days of sales last gen launch with an Xbox One that was $100 more expensive, much less powerful and had a shitshow of a launch.

Again, he's predicting a "massive" difference in the first 4 weeks.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that isn't being discussed is the time-frame. The first month. Consoles usually sell out in the first month, so Jason seems to believe that one or both of the following things are true. Sony will ship massively more PS5s and/or XBSX will not sell out it's early shipments. That's unexpected.
Ah, it seems he said 2:1 in the first month. That is reasonable.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
And yet every successful PS console released was in the same ballpark adjusted to inflation (2018):
PS1 - 498$
PS2 - 441$
PS4 - 440$

But it looks different if you add the Pro.

PS4PRO - 415$

The inflation adjusted difference between the consoles in this scenario is $83.

The actual non adjusted prices for the consoles is about the same - $100

PS1 - 299$
PS2 - 299$
PS4 - 399$
PS4PRO - 399$

I'm not saying consoles won't go up with inflation - they clearly did and they will again. However, there was a 13 year gap (in your example) between PS2 and PS4 when the actual price went up. It didn't in the 5 years between the PS1 and PS2. And it didn't in the 3 years between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

(and there are plenty of successful consoles that make the argument against inflation - Nintendo consoles are well below the inflation rate)

Given that the PS4 Pro launched in 2016, and the inflation adjusted price for that only varies by $15, I don't think that's a case that there is room to move up in Gen 9. Inflation will matter for consoles at some point, but I don't think it's 2020.

Doing quick math: The average inflation rate for the last decade (throwing out the highest and lowest) is 1.8%. Projecting forward, the time where a 2016 $399 console = $500 (assuming 2% inflation) is 2027

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

PS4PRO - 415$

PS1 - 299$
PS2 - 299$
PS4 - 399$
PS4PRO - 399$

I'm not saying consoles won't go up with inflation - they clearly did and they will again. However, there was a 13 year gap (in your example) between PS2 and PS4 when the actual price went up. It didn't in the 5 years between the PS1 and PS2. And it didn't in the 3 years between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

(and there are plenty of successful consoles that make the argument against inflation - Nintendo consoles are well below the inflation rate)

Given that the PS4 Pro launched in 2016, and the inflation adjusted price for that only varies by $15, I don't think that's a case that there is room to move up in Gen 9. Inflation will matter for consoles at some point, but I don't think it's 2020.

Doing quick math: The average inflation rate for the last decade (throwing out the highest and lowest) is 1.8%. Projecting forward, the time where a 2016 $399 console = $500 (assuming 2% inflation) is 2027
That's a good point. These half-step consoles really throw a wrench in all of our comparables.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
More on territories. Sony will be selling in more places.

But that won't allow them to make more. That's the point. I'm asking how likely it is sales in the first month will be demand limited instead of supply limited.

It's not a question of if more people will want to buy PS5, it's if Sony will have enough on hand to sell to those people in massively higher numbers than what XBSX will be able to make and sell in month 1.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
No way in hell they skip E3 this year. Two of the main reasons they didn't show up last year are gone, Shawn layden & no new games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skipping e3 right before launch is a colossally stupid idea but i wouldn't expect any less from a company launching a 9 tflops $399 console in 2020. #4themasses

Of course i don't think they are launching a 9 tflops console and there is no way they are skipping e3 this close to launch.

Oct 25, 2017
But that won't allow them to make more. That's the point. I'm asking how likely it is sales in the first month will be demand limited instead of supply limited.
They aren't going to be producing the same amount of units. So, it would be demand. They both have different circumstances with territories and how they choose to handle them.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The only hardware feature I would expect to cause problems would be SMT. Given how abstracted CPUs actually are from the instructions they execute, I can't see different execution hardware being that much of a problem. Now, maybe the CPU would have to report a lower our different set of capabilities than what it actually has when queried, but I'm not sure it would actually have to turn much off for compatibility.

Clocks are a different story, though. I can see taking advantage of the locked and standardized clocks for timing and synchronization.
They will probably need to disable some features like SMT, command sets, throttle some actions and lower or even remove pools of cache if they want similar timing and synchronization. But it's all in the Mark Cerny patent, they intend on doing all of that:
screen-shot-2019-03-19-at-10.31.56-pm.png

And speaking of Intel:

Meh. I guess i expected more...

Isn't it just a laptop integrated GPU thrown in a case as some form of a dev kit so developers can optimize their games for the new intel architecture? We've still haven't seen their discrete desktop GPU, do not despair!

PS4PRO - 415$

PS1 - 299$
PS2 - 299$
PS4 - 399$
PS4PRO - 399$

All I'm saying is that console prices do go up over the years because of inflation, even if they don't follow inflation 1:1. I do agree that 399$ is a very logical price point for the PS5 but considering that inflation puts 2013's 399$ at around 450$ in 2020, I guess it could go either way.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
If I had to make a prediction, it would be this one:

When Sony reveals the Ps5 they will define their gpu specs with vague terms and will use the same type of language Phil used to describe the specs of the XSX.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys if sony was skipping e3 they would already annouce it now like last year. They will be at e3

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
"AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics" faster than GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Please be excited ;)

It's literally a mobile CPU with the most powerful GPU ever tested. There's no use case on desktop that that makes any sense in. They're either spoofing some ID and/or it's dual GPU, and/or plain bogus result.

The smartypants bros(Globalisateur) from B3D googled the eng sample name/serial and got

ASUS Zephyrous laptop with amd APU and a discrete NVIDIA GPU. That score is indeed for a dual gpu set up.

keyboard+fingers=magic

Oct 27, 2017

When Sony reveals the Ps5 they will define their gpu specs with vague terms and will use the same type of language Phil used to describe the specs of the XSX.
This. If both machines are close in performance (as they likely are), but maybe one has an advantage in one area, and the other has an advantage in another, it benefits no one to reveal the hard numbers.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

I won't be surprised if Sony doesn't mention the exact TF number and MS doesn't mention the exact SSD speed.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I won't be surprised if Sony doesn't mention the exact TF number and MS doesn't mention the exact SSD speed.

I think MS has already talked about SSD's, although not in speed. They seem to think their box will nearly diminish loading.

But if PS is actually weaker I don't think they talk about the specs on a show

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
They will probably need to disable some features like SMT, command sets, throttle some actions and lower or even remove pools of cache if they want similar timing and synchronization. But it's all in the Mark Cerny patent, they intend on doing all of that:
screen-shot-2019-03-19-at-10.31.56-pm.png

It's a catch-all, though. Some resources can/will be restricted, some features can/will be disabled, etc. This doesn't necessarily mean that they have to always eliminate every difference between the chips, they just have levers to do so as needed to get a compatible result. From what I recall, there's also a bunch of analytics being done in the background to determine when to activate those levers.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just wonder why would Sony invest in "nice to have" features (3d audio etc.) but save money by going for only 36CUs.
I hope I get surprised by those guys, fingers crossed. No matter what Im there on Day 1!

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

For Xbox I believe you will get more details in an interview by Anandtech or Eurogamer(deep dive). I do not think I know another site that would be able to ask the right questions, tbh. Especially not IGN and GameStop. I suspect a similar approach with Sony.

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
At E3 Sony should have all of their 1st party demos that use gameplay be selected from the PS5 home menu then quick loaded into the game, just to flex. Also, just for fun, the other tiles on the home screen should be images that vaguely hint at games in production that they aren't ready to show. Just as a little Easter egg and to give folks like us something else to speculate and get hyped about.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
It's a catch-all, though. Some resources can/will be restricted, some features can/will be disabled, etc. This doesn't necessarily mean that they have to always eliminate every difference between the chips, they just have levers to do so as needed to get a compatible result. From what I recall, there's also a bunch of analytics being done in the background to determine when to activate those levers.
Yes, and they are also spoofing the processor ID to make it seem like a Jaguar:
a-proposed-flowchart-for-the-system.original.jpg

Joo

May 25, 2018
There's rational and then there's "'no wai". Look me in the eyes and tell me those screaming that Sony WILL win next-gen aren't reassuring themselves for the most part.

We're talking about potential multiple consoles at launch, questions about features, services, price, form factor, and yes, of lower importance, power. Not to mention games obviously 🤷‍♀️

This is gonna be a fun ride.

And yeah I know that Sony winning this gen means they have momentum (which is one of the main reasons I believe they'll win next gen). But we live in a world where an actual madman can become president of the most powerful nation in the world.

This is gonna be a fun ride.

Allright. Good thinking. Some people might be giving themselves that pat of reassurement when commenting on Sony winning but it's also rational to lean towards that opinion. Of course there's many different factors at play when new consoles launch and anything can happen, but at the same time people are getting more and more tangled in certain ecosystems with bc, digital libraries, game pass, ps+ and such so that makes transitions to rival console an even harder decision than before.

Don't know how this'll turn out, but I'd definitely bet on Sony having the lead and wouldn't criticize anyone making that same bet for obvious reasons.

Gonna be a fun ride indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.