• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Yea kinda the same. I have a pretty powerful PC rig, opting for 1440p/144+ fps. But my TV is 4K HDR, so if there is some impressive shit to look at that's 4K 60fps HDR and maybe even ray-tracing I'd love to boot up the Series X and see what it's all about..and if it's first party or on both console/PC GamePass then I won't even have to buy it twice!

Xbox is about convenience
From my perspective i've owned all the xbox's and at launch same with playstation but i am only getting 1 this time, simply because the convenience your talking about ill play halo on pc and get the console i cant play its exclusives on pc, I don't say this in a negative way i'm pretty sure this is still a win for both companies

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I am inclined to believe that Jason Schreier's predictions on Sony once again skipping E3 may very well come true. Certain developments of the expo, together with the registered media list debacle, in recent times I think have made multiple exhibitors less interested in E3.

Interesting. Do you remember what it was that gave away Sony weren't attending E3 last year?

I do wonder what they would do with showcasing games and announcing pricing if they don't attend E3, though.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Predicting which console will sell more right now is going to be based pretty much off of historical trends since we still don't know much concretely about the new consoles. So yeah predicting the PS5 to sell more is pretty easy at this point. Once details on both consoles are actually revealed one could make a more interesting prediction with more info.

Even without details it's pretty easy to know who will sell the most consoles WW 😅

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
From your analysis https://youtu.be/blbu0g9DAGA?t=1240 So you tell me that in real life glassy object's behave almost exactly as a mirror ? ;)
s-l1600.jpg

I make a point of it in the video, but glass's perpendicular reflectivity to you looking to it is very dependent on the background behind the glass itself. The darker that background behind it is, the more stark the reflected light from the front looks.

So yeah, transparent glass definitely can look very "mirror" like if the room / area lighting conditions and area materials from the perspective of the viewer line up.
controlglassqxj3p.jpg

If you look at this screen shot from control from that same video - the reflection of that electronics dish in the transparent glass is more visible in the area behind the glass that is dark than it is in the area behind the glass that is whitish!
Yeah,that would be really nice! Right Dictator ? ;)

That woud be bad ass. But to be honest, unless we are given a tech person to talk to - our interviews can be TERRIBLY off-topic for DF.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Sony has a far bigger market. That alone makes the prediction sensible and you don't even need inside info for it. If Sony has a much bigger net for their console, of course they have far more sales potential.

I think too many people look at it as a "Sony vs MS" thing with what they're doing (exclusives, services, etc...) instead of what is most logical based on numerous factors.

MS has a lower ceiling and Sony has a higher ceiling. It isn't anything controversial. It is just logic.

The thing that isn't being discussed is the time-frame. The first month. Consoles usually sell out in the first month, so Jason seems to believe that one or both of the following things are true. Sony will ship massively more PS5s and/or XBSX will not sell out it's early shipments. That's unexpected.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
So yea, I don't think anyone should take these as more than just fun guesses.

That's exactly what they are lol. Jason even says specifically in the podcast that he's expecting a random journalist to make an article based on his predictions when they really aren't based on any insider knowledge.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I will spend most of my time gaming on the Series X because I prefer consoles at this point on my big screen TV. But I also like to play some on PC sometimes just to check out even higher performance and settings if I choose. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate enables that option easily for me.

I get preferring consoles, I do too yet the "Playing on the big screen" part doesn't make sense because you can connect your PC to the TV or use features like big picture mode with Steam. And your controller is wireless so that wouldn't be an issue either. Than really why do you prefer to play on consoles?

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
The thing that isn't being discussed is the time-frame. The first month. Consoles usually sell out in the first month, so Jason seems to believe that one or both of the following things are true. Sony will ship massively more PS5s and/or XBSX will not sell out it's early shipments. That's unexpected.

Or XSX will be accompanied by a less expensive Xbox that will sell more than XSX...

But in the end I agree with him, and I don't really think it's a hard guess. I don't see how MS would match the sales of PS5.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I am inclined to believe that Jason Schreier's predictions on Sony once again skipping E3 may very well come true. Certain developments of the expo, together with the registered media list debacle, in recent times I think have made multiple exhibitors less interested in E3.
I am quite curious at how the infamous media list debacle will impacted the show.
Do people remember that : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ia-and-influencer-festival-in-leaked-document
SONY already have their own events for fans, an event they do themselves, so probably waaaaaaay cheaper than paying ESA.
Nintendo first showed Switch at a direct, it's not unfathomable.
Oh I know they can, but I think it is not great.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
SONY can still make a conference around E3 without having a booth.
I really hope they won't show the console on a State Of Play.

Does EA is really involved with ESA when they make their EA Play next to the convention center?

I have no idae, lol. I was just providing my own (baseless) random prediction. Honestly, its a pretty big year for any large publisher to not be at E3.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I get preferring consoles, I do too yet the "Playing on the big screen" part doesn't make sense because you can connect your PC to the TV or use features like big picture mode with Steam. And your controller is wireless so that wouldn't be an issue either. Than really why do you prefer to play on consoles?
Not the one you responded to but it's not that crazy of a situation. I have my PC in my office, hooked up to a high refresh monitor for DOTA or other stuff that 100% requires a keyboard. and also use it to work from home fairly often. I had my XB1 hooked up to the TV in my basement, two floors away, where there's more seating for my wife or friends or whoever else wants to play a game with me. I'm not hauling the PC up and down for that and I'm not going to invest twice in a powerful PC.

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda get what people mean though about devs trying to show off raytracing a little too much. Not that it'll look incorrect (raytracing should help everything look MORE correct), but I fully expect lots of puddles/still bodies of water and perfectly waxed cars in next gen games lol

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Consoles tend to sell out of early shipments at launch, but only in the primary regions and only because those console makers have to make choices about where they can allocate their shipments between regions, as pre-launch inventory stockpiles don't often exceed more than 3m units or so.

If MS thinks they are going to be more successful this time in regions like Europe and thus increase their stock allocations there, then it's very likely they won't sell out of units at launch. The X1 didn't pretty much everywhere but the UK.

I doubt MS would do this though. I think they will want to try and take the US market from Sony and will focus most of their efforts there. Hence, I would not be surprised to see the same tiered regional launches they did for XB1.

Despite the criticism it won them, don't think they have a choice. If they run out of stock too early in the US over the first holiday, they will risk giving Sony too much leeway. They'll want to be on Sony's neck in terms of hardware sales in the US, for sure, if not ahead. It's their most important market.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I want someone to provide sound reasoning beyond simply saying that Sony doesn't have to go to E3 as to why this is good for them and the wider game industry if they ditch it forever (which would be the case if they don't show up in a next gen console launch year).

If Sony ditch E3 and do their own show on a different day they won't have to share headlines with competitors and 3rd parties.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Not the one you responded to but it's not that crazy of a situation. I have my PC in my office, hooked up to a high refresh monitor for DOTA or other stuff that 100% requires a keyboard. and also use it to work from home fairly often. I had my XB1 hooked up to the TV in my basement, two floors away, where there's more seating for my wife or friends or whoever else wants to play a game with me. I'm not hauling the PC up and down for that and I'm not going to invest twice in a powerful PC.

I'm not disputing that having a console and a PC is good or useful, as I said I prefer to play on a console rather than a PC. I'm just not seeing his reasoning for it that's all.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Or XSX will be accompanied by a less expensive Xbox that will sell more than XSX...

But in the end I agree with him, and I don't really think it's a hard guess. I don't see how MS would match the sales of PS5.

If they ship the same amount and they both sell out (which consoles almost always do at launch) they would match sales and demand (past the limit of supply) doesn't matter. That's why "Sony is a better gaming brand" isn't an adequate explanation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would it be possible or even feasible for Sony to make the retail MSRP of their games $49 instead of $59 as a way to entice customers?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised by Jason thinking that everyone will just play Xbox games on PC, although maybe he has enough sources to back that thinking up.

play on PC, play on Xbox one (eg halo which will be one of their big launch titles), maybe play on xcloud if it's live by then

all of this is just fine by MS but would potentially impact X1X HW sales

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Only because I was there... and Halo Infinite.
You ruined E3..just like the Stars are gonna ruin the Ducks tonight 😉

From my perspective i've owned all the xbox's and at launch same with playstation but i am only getting 1 this time, simply because the convenience your talking about ill play halo on pc and get the console i cant play its exclusives on pc, I don't say this in a negative way i'm pretty sure this is still a win for both companies

Oh yea I get how it would probably make more sense for me to just get the PS5 at launch since I have a PC. I guess it depends on how good Sony's launch lineup exclusives are..

Buttttt without something competitive to GamePass that means I'm JUST playing it for exclusives. With XSX and GamePass I'll be playing a huge library at either my desk or on the couch without spending money on each title 🤷‍♂️.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
play on PC, play on Xbox one (eg halo which will be one of their big launch titles), maybe play on xcloud if it's live by then

I would imagine both of them will sell as many consoles as they can make in the first month of launch. But looking at next gen as a whole, then of course the PS5 will sell more than the XSX and XSS over its lifetime even if the only place to play Xbox games was on their console.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Oh yea I get how it would probably make more sense for me to just get the PS5 at launch since I have a PC. I guess it depends on how good Sony's launch lineup exclusives are..

Buttttt without something competitive to GamePass that means I'm JUST playing it for exclusives. With XSX and GamePass I'll be playing a huge library at either my desk or on the couch without spending money on each title 🤷‍♂️.
I can see why your thinking this way i was just showing the other side the one that a lot of people will also take, even with gamepass i still buy most of the games i want to play i hardly have time for the games i really want so i tend to be quality over quantity kinda guy, not saying that the games aren't quality they just often aren't the game i want to play when i have the time

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

I work on PCs all day at work as a Software Development Program Manager, so the console feels like I am disconnecting from that world even more. And frankly I used to love tinkering with my drivers and tuning things to no end with .ini files and such, but at this point I basically will just play games that only launch first on PC through Game Pass Ultimate (Gears Tactics being one example) or to see what I can do to really kick things up a notch with performance or settings once in a while if I choose to splurge on a higher end graphics card next year or something.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony ditch E3 and do their own show on a different day they won't have to share headlines with competitors and 3rd parties.

They aren't ever truly "sharing headlines" as the industry leader with their E3 press conference on their typical day that is a different day than Xbox, and the social media metrics touted by some recently show that. So they would really for whatever reason IMO be taking a real risk of negative perception and feedback from some of their partners that get a nice boost from being there with them at E3. And it seems like a "no fun zone" to be pulling out of the industry's biggest party for "reasons". I know that some even tried to talk about saving money last year, which is funny when everyone talks about how much money they are making hand over fist with PlayStation.

Oct 27, 2017

I don`t think they care if people buy xbox or not, their real money will come from software/streaming available everywhere from phones to PCs. Consoles are just another option.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they ship the same amount and they both sell out (which consoles almost always do at launch) they would match sales and demand (past the limit of supply) doesn't matter. That's why "Sony is a better gaming brand" isn't an adequate explanation.

Should we post pictures of the "sold out" PS3 and X1 on shelves? I remember all the threads on GAF about MS saying they were sold out and people from around the world posting pics of stacks of X1s on shelves.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
E3 is a culture builder. It's a celebration of gaming. Sony might not want to go but they SHOULD go. It's like not wanting to go to church when you're a kid, maybe, at that point, but you have to go for the fans.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I work on PCs all day at work as a Software Development Program Manager, so the console feels like I am disconnecting from that world even more. And frankly I used to love tinkering with my drivers and tuning things to no end with .ini files and such, but at this point I basically will just play games that only launch first on PC through Game Pass Ultimate (Gears Tactics being one example) or to see what I can do to really kick things up a notch with performance or settings once in a while if I choose to splurge on a higher end graphics card next year or something.

Okay I get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.