• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I am sorry if this is too personal question, but are you still working in the gaming industry? Any interesting plans maybe? :)

Thanks for asking. I'm at Amazon, working in the FireTV team. If you remember when Amazon and Alexa worked to get Alexa devices working on Xbox, I was part of that program on the Amazon side. So I'm gaming-adjacent. :)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, it's just not always feasible to do BC. Console dev tends to be very close to the metal GPU-wise, and while this time around it looks like AMD's gotten the BC working for their previous gen of GPUs on whatever's next, that won't always be the case. It seems like this is more like GCN++, rather than an entirely new architecture. For example, if we were going from AMD's Northern Islands to GCN, I doubt compatibility would have been considered.

Or in the case of PS3 -> PS4, where both the CPU architecture (Cell -> AMD x64) and GPU architectures (NVIDIA -> AMD) drastically changed, it was pretty much impossible without embedding a PS3.

I don't really foresee moving away from x64 anytime in the future, but GPU architectures are bound to change eventually. Unless consoles move to be more PC-like where final shader compilation is done at runtime (done much to the chagrin of PC games devs trying to optimize their games btw) BC will break eventually (outside of perhaps curated emulation).
You have no idea if PS3 BC was pretty much impossible without embedding a PS3 in a PS4. Sony never tried. They could've did like MS and planned for it by having certain aspects of the PS3 hardware design built into the PS4 processor to help and used software emulation to do the rest.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I guess people just want to know what kind of graphics and what not they can expect and they want to know it in as far in advance as possible? Just seems like a natural curiosity to me. As far as knowing what BOTH competing devices will have under the hood- obviously it's because people want to know which box will theoretically run a multiplatform game better/prettier/shinier. They will likely purchase whichever box that is, since it's something they even care to know about.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Errr... why would you buy tickets when you have no idea what the movie is going to be about?

I don't think it's what he implied : you don't have to know exactly what's inside. But of course you have to know what it's capable of. And as a matter of fact, we know "a lot" of things about XSX or PS5 : 4K, hardware raytracing, SSD and so on. So he wonders why people absolutely want to know more details.
At least that's the way I read this.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I was the marketing lead for that program. I try not to judge the team too harshly. Huge technical hurdles to overcome, a small team, and due to the primarily physical nature of the Xbox discs it was a program that had diminishing returns pretty quickly (meaning people stopped using it).

With Xbox One there were silicon decisions made to make BC with 360 easier, plus the state-of-the art in profiling tools and emulation had advanced. The current teams are much more robustly staffed and are some of the smartest and dedicated folks I had worked with. And lots of business tailwinds as well.

So times (and tech) have changed. Thanks to the pioneers on the OG compat for 360 for getting things started, although in hindsight things could have been better.

Oh don't get me wrong, Xefu was a technical marvel with amazing potential, it being resurrected for Xbox One and the amazing results there are proof enough of that. It was just sad to see development being halted before it could become a viable way to play OG Xbox games. The Xefu team got the ball rolling and their work lives on today, it's just a shame they weren't given the chance to finish what they started given the massive inroads they had already made into the herculean task that was getting OG Xbox games running on 360.

If anyone else is interested:

Oct 25, 2017
I guess people just want to know what kind of graphics and what not they can expect and they want to know it in as far in advance as possible? Just seems like a natural curiosity to me. As far as knowing what BOTH competing devices will have under the hood- obviously it's because people want to know which box will theoretically run a multiplatform game better/prettier/shinier. They will likely purchase whichever box that is, since it's something they even care to know about.

3rd party games performing better on the more powerful system should be a given, but is not always the case.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Let me get this straight.

David "8K" Prien is surprised that people want to know specs?

David "8K" Prien

"8K"

Yeah, this is rich. Same people parading the die shots around :)
Thanks for asking. I'm at Amazon, working in the FireTV team. If you remember when Amazon and Alexa worked to get Alexa devices working on Xbox, I was part of that program on the Amazon side. So I'm gaming-adjacent. :)
Ah, so you're listening even when I'm not in this thread ;)

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
so sony will let MS have a cheaper console AND the most powerful console? that makes no sense. You keep talking about Phil as if you know what goes on in his head and yet you are literally telling sony to launch a console $100 more expensive than the sweet spot you described while losing the support of the enthusiasts that made them so successful.

so they lose either way. i am not sure if thats the best strategy for anyone.

Panelo is right. you dont care about what the competitor is doing and you put out the best console you can have for the price you can afford. if that means taking a $200 loss and launching a $399 console instead of a $499 one with a $100 loss, thats what they will do. but launching a gimped console on day 1 is simply not Sony's motto. and rumors from devs in the industry point to sony leading in performance. even windows central and brad sams and of course even Phil Spencer have been hesitant to claim the power crown. If the difference was 30%, Phil wouldve known by now. in reality, they are likely much closer to each other. maybe within a tflop or 5%. i mean he had no problems calling scorpio the most powerful console ever 6 months before the reveal of the pro based on devkit ps4 pro rumors.

Price difference was in regard to Lockhart obviously. I also wrote that I predict 399$ to be still successful for Sony barring extraordinary circumstances.

399$ is THE target, because you sip enthusiasts for a couple of years and then go mass market with 299$. If Sony goes at 499$ they cannot go to 299$ fast and that hurts adoption once enthusiast pool saturates.

I find your suggestions of taking 200$ loss per console laughable. Either they target performance and compromise on price, or they target price and compromise on performance. There is no third way. Recently they strongly preferred price. Take your own guesses, I don't mind either option sans dissatisfaction with being wrong. My own purchasing decisions aren't driven by TF(which doesn't mean 12TF XSX doesn't make me happy). Sony can target 20TF for all I care. I just don't think it's realistic.

Feb 26, 2018
The only way Sony stands a chance is pricing PS5 400$. 250-300$ Lockhart gonna destroy it if the difference between them is more than 150$.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Was this posted...?

Following this snafu, I was able to confirm with several insiders about the actual ports on the current early iterations of the hardware. Keep in mind, these may not be final and are subject to change but do come from multiple people familiar with the hardware.

As it stands right now, the series X features, on the back of the hardware, two USB-A ports (of the SuperSpeed variety), ethernet, a single HDMI port, optical audio, and a power connection. There is also another port on the back that may be used for debugging but there wasn't an agreement on the nature of its functionality. The image at the top of this post shows a basic outline of how those ports appear on the actual hardware.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Somone (please) refresh my memory: on that 5 point CES PS5 slide, was BC one of the focal points?

If so, it might indicate that their BC solution will be more than, "well here you go".
BC was not part of that slide.

oEK9hnz.png

I suspect this is just a vague overview and there will be many more features revealed. Especially considering consoles already had two of those this gen.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
People are thinking about this the wrong way .
They want to make as much money as possible in a certain way .
Selling the most consoles is only a part of that along with price.

I agree they will want to make as much money as possible. Every business does. When the vast majority of your revenue is from software and services, they have a better chance of building their install base faster with a $400 console.

Also let's be honest. IF the PS5 does end up being weaker than the SX, the Sony stans here will pivot to sales anyways.

so sony will let MS have a cheaper console AND the most powerful console? that makes no sense. You keep talking about Phil as if you know what goes on in his head and yet you are literally telling sony to launch a console $100 more expensive than the sweet spot you described while losing the support of the enthusiasts that made them so successful.

so they lose either way. i am not sure if thats the best strategy for anyone.

Panelo is right. you dont care about what the competitor is doing and you put out the best console you can have for the price you can afford. if that means taking a $200 loss and launching a $399 console instead of a $499 one with a $100 loss, thats what they will do. but launching a gimped console on day 1 is simply not Sony's motto. and rumors from devs in the industry point to sony leading in performance. even windows central and brad sams and of course even Phil Spencer have been hesitant to claim the power crown. If the difference was 30%, Phil wouldve known by now. in reality, they are likely much closer to each other. maybe within a tflop or 5%. i mean he had no problems calling scorpio the most powerful console ever 6 months before the reveal of the pro based on devkit ps4 pro rumors.

see above. it simply doesnt make sense for sony to lose out on enthusiasts who buy at launch and spend $1,700 on average over the life of the console. AND give up the mainstream users who spend $700.

And Lockhart will worry sony for sure but not enough to change their plans. no one is gonna buy that weak console. especially not the day 1 buyers. its going to generate a lot of bad press from DF and MS of all companies know how internet forums and twitter can create mass hysteria with very little. thats if it launches on day 1 at all which i dont think it will seeing as how phil refuses to talk about it and devs are only just now finding out about it.

why would sony care then? lockhart would be like the switch or the wii u. a console aimed at an entirely different market.

and i did the math earlier. to get to 9 tflops with 36 CUs, you need to have a VERY expensive cooling solution and a GPU only 50mm2 smaller than the 407mm2 scarlett. you are not saving a $100 with the apu alone. it will need to be gutted just like the lcokhart. GPU half the size. Much much worse CPU. Smaller ram. Smaller ssd. not to mention money saved elsewhere like same controller, no 3d audio chip, no cooling system that is able to run the games at 2.0 ghz or even 1.8 ghz and 8 tflops.

You're assuming this enthusiast gamer won't eventually buy both consoles, I think there's a good chance they do.

You're assuming a 9TF console is gimped when it's not. A developer has expressed this and it was ignored.

You're assuming Sony will be willing to lose $200 per console to be competitive with performance but still $100 cheaper and I think that's very unrealistic.

You're assuming Lockhart is a mistake and will only cause issues for MS for little gain when it will really be their best selling SKU. The market that Lockhart is targeting doesn't care about DF results. They care about playing the next gen games at 1080p for an affordable price. Anyone else that understands the purpose of Lockhart will expect it to look worse than the PS5 and SX. So the bad press doesn't make sense. Fanboys will latch onto the results seen from Lockhart, everyone else will see what is expected of the machine.

Console gamers on a forum do not equal the vast majority of gamers on the market, even the enthusiast market. So I think it's misguided to assume your many assumptions line up with reality.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Price difference was in regard to Lockhart obviously. I also wrote that I predict 399$ to be still successful for Sony barring extraordinary circumstances.

399$ is THE target, because you sip enthusiasts for a couple of years and then go mass market with 299$. If Sony goes at 499$ they cannot go to 299$ fast and that hurts adoption once enthusiast pool saturates.

I find your suggestions of taking 200$ loss per console laughable. Either they target performance and compromise on price, or they target price and compromise on performance. There is no third way. Recently they strongly preferred price. Take your own guesses, I don't mind either option sans dissatisfaction with being wrong. My own purchasing decisions aren't driven by TF(which doesn't mean 12TF XSX doesn't make me happy). Sony can target 20TF for all I care. I just don't think it's realistic.
i know you wrote that. thats why i poked holes in that theory because if sony is losing both the enthusiasts and the mass market consumer then how will they be successful?

and no, taking a $200 loss is not my suggestion. i am saying they will launch at $499. YOU want them to launch at $399 and that means they are taking a $200 loss because they cannot get to $399 without gimping EVERYTHING else in the system. unless they are willing to do it.

lastly, MS IS targeting performance and compromising on price with series x. they get that its their best path forward. its what consoles have traditionally been. you sell at a loss and make up by selling games and now services. PSN's digital revenue was $12 billion more than Nintendo and MS's digital revenue combined. Why would they give that up launching an underpowered console that isnt even the cheapest console available?

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Warren makes a good point. It's all about the games.
Yeah, because a company that posts a console logo on Instagram and gets 5M likes in two days clearly is walking on a razor thin line close to failure.

I think it's safe to say any console manufacturer doing a similar post would have had the same outcome. At 5M, I'd say that's the corest of Sony's core who was always gonna be there day one anyway.

So in short: impressive but let's not get carried away. More than 5M people bought a Wii U for goodness sake (again Nintendos core)

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Always nice to see you on here Albert. Also I want to suggestion the option to cast/mirrorcast to the FireStick without having to go into settings to enable it every time :P.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't think this is really reflective of how the market works anymore. 360/PS3 was a race to the bottom price-wise, just as previous gens had been. Now, over 6 years in, console MSRPs have only dropped $100, and this has created a perception that's the mass market price.

In fact, focus has shifted to promotional sales in the holidays where the console makers discount their boxes to a level more reflective of their actual cost to build, $199, and they sell 1/3 or more of the year's units in that small timeframe. So, there is probably close to $100 of hidden margin in the MSRP we see now.

This trend will probably continue next gen, with some median MSRP where they actually make money before they discount at holiday time to capture the price sensitive consumers.

Inflation has also shifted a $399 MSRP to over $450, and the unemployment rate is even lower than 2013, when we were just starting to recover from the crash. Assuming a $499 MSRP being a non-starter is not a slam dunk IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.