• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Cause fortnite and all those other free to play games aren't going to have a next gen version for a good while after release if ever. It allows people to keep playing their games as a service on new hardware. People are playing the same games for lots lots longer now than last gen.

What? Why wouldn't Epic Games have Dev kits for the next gen consoles? These free to play games generate revenue via Microtransactions. They're gonna wanna be there day 1.
Someone buying their launch day console.might be interested in checking out how it plays and spending money.

What if they could do 1440p120? Don't some of those new LG OLEDs support 120Hz over HDMI?

Yeah. Also 4k120fps.
With the addition of variable refresh rate it would be pretty good even if the console couldn't always hit 120. Who knows if the platform will support.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
For people really sold on the idea of BC actually mattering this gen because Sony is finally coming up to speed in that area?

It tends to matter most at the start of a generation when there's a sparse library of newer titles, and acts as a nice safety net for games you already own. A few years in it's less relevant, though still of value to some. It's also far from a new concept as the Atari 7800 played 2600 cartridges, and Sony had backward compatibility in both the PS2 and PS3. Microsoft's approach may be novel but the idea is far from it.

I do understand the desire and value proposition. I kept a 360 around and connected to play Rock Band: Beatles when I would have bought an Xbox One if it has been compatible with the game and associated hardware. I bought and played some PS1 titles on a PS2 for the first time since I never owned the original (notably FFVII and MGS.)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't intend to ever own an Xbox console so I hope Somy knocks it out of the park and offers something comparable to Xbox in power and performance.
Thats a one sided way of thinking but hopefully you get what you're looking for in the ps5, I could never count someone out without seeing what they offer first though, especially when i know whatever company in question really doesn't give a shit about me just the numbers in my bank account. I hope both are great so everyone can be happy.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ok what did you guys do.

hCuFSj2.png

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
I love BC and hopefully this will be a given going forward, I would love to see more cross play games next gen too, it's been shown it can be done so hopefully devs embrace it and platform holders make it easy for them.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I've been in this business for a LONG time and there is an emotional aspect of Back Compat that is often overlooked, and it's around customer trust and good faith with the brand and the technology. When was the last time you played a DVD (assuming you have a DVD library), yet you would be completely turned off by a DVD-like format that didn't play the older discs.

It shows that companies respect the investment that customers have made, and are willing to not try and think past their needs. Maybe they won't actually play the games but they might LIKE to play the games at some point. Or, maybe during the launch period when new release are slow (or maybe they have friends who haven't upgraded their consoles) it doesn't isolate people from playing with their friends.

And absolutely true that digital libraries change the dynamic hugely.

So it's true that there is a lack of BC uses as the generation goes on, but I have always believed that it's critical to building a long-term platform. I think it was really smart of Xbox to invest heavily there, and I think it's smart of Sony to start investing here too.

I absolutely think that a robust PS4 back-compat strategy will get people to buy a PS5 faster. Christmas and Birthdays come every year, and if all I need to enjoy my old games AND my new games is a single HW purchase, that's an easy choice.

Yeah it gives me the confidence in the ecosystem that's required to make more digital purchases. Having a library of digital games marooned on one console doesn't feel great at all, especially when the console manufacturer eventually switches off the shop's servers effectively making that investment worthless (see the Wii and DSi). I second guess whether I want to buy a Switch game but I have no such hesitations with Xbox because of Microsoft's commitment to BC. I feel rewarded for staying in the Xbox ecosystem in ways I do not elsewhere and I hope that by setting such a high standard, Sony and Nintendo will feel forced to up their game in this field.

Oct 25, 2017
Somone (please) refresh my memory: on that 5 point CES PS5 slide, was BC one of the focal points?

If so, it might indicate that their BC solution will be more than, "well here you go".

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Yeah it gives me the confidence in the ecosystem to make more digital purchases. Having a library of digital games marooned on one console doesn't feel great at all, especially when the console manufacturer eventually switches off the shop's servers effectively making that investment worthless (see the Wii and DSi). I second guess whether I want to buy a Switch game but I have no such hesitations with Xbox because of Microsoft's commitment to BC. I feel rewarded for staying in the Xbox ecosystem in ways I do not elsewhere and I hope that by setting such a high standard, Sony and Nintendo will feel forced to up their game in this field.

I wish it was a vision that was taken more seriously earlier in the industry (for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft), but I completely agree.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a one sided way of thinking but hopefully you get what you're looking for in the ps5, I could never count someone out without seeing what they offer first though, especially when i know whatever company in question really doesn't give a shit about me just the numbers in my bank account. I hope both are great so everyone can be happy.
I have no investment in the Xbox ecosystem and don't have interest in their games. I'm conservative with my money as well so I see no point in buying two consoles that play largely the same library of games. You'd be surprised by how many people only ever intend to own one console.

As a result I hope the PS5 is as good as the rumored Xbox is expected to be. That's all.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Stadia is 10.7TFlops (56 CU's) and a few insiders have suggested PS5 was above 10TF and close to Series X.

So if Series X really is 12TF, I'm guessing PS5 will end up around 10-11TF.

I see Bluepoint getting in on the action with another tease. I do love the run up to a new generation. :)

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Except it doesn't make any sense to begin with, lol amd just showed off a 36CU gpu and they are saying it's the ultimate 1080p gpu. Why in the hell would Sony go this route?
They also had a 5700XT as the ultimate 1440p GPU.

Yes, agreed. but XSX at $399 to me indicates no need for Lockhart.
I totally agree. I only see two scenarios:
1) PS5 @499$, XSX @499$ and XSS somewhere lower than 400$.
2) PS5 @399$, XSX @399$ and XSS will never come out.

Any other option will be pretty bad for MS IMO. Obviously there is the 399$ PS5 and 499$ XSX option, but it will kill the next XBOX IMO. They are better off losing millions on hardware sales over being more expensive than the PS5 IMO.

TraumaRN

Dec 29, 2019
Yeah bad choice. I would say that PS2 had good compat but eventually it was taken out, correct?

And PS3 IIRC was pretty spotty then also taken out after the 2nd year.

PS4 had none at all.

Seems like PS5 will be built to have much better compat with PS4, and less likely to be taken out in later revisions.

So yeah "first" is bad. Probably should word differently so I edited above.

Not quite.
PS2 had full PS1 BC and Sony never removed it. PS3 had PS1 and HW based PS2 BC in its launch SKUs because they included a PS2 (emotion engine) chip in the system. Eventually, they stopped making that SKU (to help reduce price) and instituted more limited SW based BC. With the slim model dropped it altogether. PS3 always had PS1 BC.

PS4 is the only PS console to never feature BC. Besides PS1 obviously.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Cabbage Blue Vantage F1

This hybrid is considered a standard in some cabbage growing areas of the United States. A larger head size than Green Cup, Blue Vantage ranks high for the fresh and coleslaw markets. It combines good wrapper leaves, short cores and disease resistance with excellent field holding ability. Widely used for spring and summer sowings in cool temperate regions as well as for spring crops in warmer, frost-free zones.

Lmao

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know it's a joke and all but all signs seem to point to SSD being a gamechanger for PS5 games.

I think the biggest game changer for both next gen consoles will be super fast loading times and higher frame rates and hopefully 60 FPS as a standard not a luxury.

Even if Sony ends up having a faster SSD which is possible I still think both next gen consoles will have incredible loading times.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah it gives me the confidence in the ecosystem that's required to make more digital purchases. Having a library of digital games marooned on one console doesn't feel great at all, especially when the console manufacturer eventually switches off the shop's servers effectively making that investment worthless (see the Wii and DSi). I second guess whether I want to buy a Switch game but I have no such hesitations with Xbox because of Microsoft's commitment to BC. I feel rewarded for staying in the Xbox ecosystem in ways I do not elsewhere and I hope that by setting such a high standard, Sony and Nintendo will feel forced to up their game in this field.
The way BC works on xbone, from my understanding, is that even if you have a physical disk, the game data and wrapper around it is still downloaded from the store. If the store is down or the game is removed or you've got no internet connection, how is that different from what nintendo did?(and I have no clue what nintendo did that's why I'm asking)

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
I have no investment in the Xbox ecosystem and don't have interest in their games. I'm conservative with my money as well so I see no point in buying two consoles that play largely the same library of games. You'd be surprised by how many people only ever intend to own one console.

True, but from a gaming enthusiast POV a large proportion will go multiformat. For me personally, I've always owned all consoles while maintaining a high-end PC as it ultimately gives me a choice.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
Unfortunately, it's just not always feasible to do BC. Console dev tends to be very close to the metal GPU-wise, and while this time around it looks like AMD's gotten the BC working for their previous gen of GPUs on whatever's next, that won't always be the case. It seems like this is more like GCN++, rather than an entirely new architecture. For example, if we were going from AMD's Northern Islands to GCN, I doubt compatibility would have been considered.

Or in the case of PS3 -> PS4, where both the CPU architecture (Cell -> AMD x64) and GPU architectures (NVIDIA -> AMD) drastically changed, it was pretty much impossible without embedding a PS3.

I don't really foresee moving away from x64 anytime in the future, but GPU architectures are bound to change eventually. Unless consoles move to be more PC-like where final shader compilation is done at runtime (done much to the chagrin of PC games devs trying to optimize their games btw) BC will break eventually (outside of perhaps curated emulation).

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True, but from a gaming enthusiast POV a large proportion will go multiformat. For me personally, I've always owned all consoles while maintaining a high-end PC as it ultimately gives me a choice.
I understand that's the POV of a gaming enthusiast. But that doesn't mean I'm not enthusiastic about gaming, either. I just choose to spend my money this way just the way you choose to as well. Not owning everything doesn't mean you aren't enthusiastic about something you enjoy. Lol

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
LOL

I am not an insider. I'm not in a position to "confirm" anything. I try to offer commentary based on my experience in the industry. :)
Wait what aren't you at Microsoft??

Edit: Amazon? Huh, I had no idea, just thought about how cool it was that someone at Microsoft talked so freely in this thread lol

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was a vision that was taken more seriously earlier in the industry (for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft), but I completely agree.

I remember being very letdown that the OG Xbox on 360 BC program was shutdown barely 2 years into the 360's life, especially with all the game breaking bugs on the games that were compatible. I was very sceptical when the 360 on Xbox One BC program was announced, expecting something similar but it blew away my expectations and they even brought back and improved the old Xefu emulator! I hope with XSX they can continue to make progress on bringing over more OG Xbox games as they hold up wonderfully in 4K.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I remember being very letdown that the OG Xbox on 360 BC program was shutdown barely 2 years into the 360's life, especially with all the game breaking bugs on the games that were compatible. I was very sceptical when the 360 on Xbox One BC program was announced, expecting something similar but it blew away my expectations and they even brought back and improved the old Xefu emulator! I hope with XSX they can continue to make progress on bringing over more OG Xbox games as they hold up wonderfully in 4K.

Yeah. I was the marketing lead for that program. I try not to judge the team too harshly. Huge technical hurdles to overcome, a small team, and due to the primarily physical nature of the Xbox discs it was a program that had diminishing returns pretty quickly (meaning people stopped using it).

With Xbox One there were silicon decisions made to make BC with 360 easier, plus the state-of-the art in profiling tools and emulation had advanced. The current teams are much more robustly staffed and are some of the smartest and dedicated folks I had worked with. And lots of business tailwinds as well.

So times (and tech) have changed. Thanks to the pioneers on the OG compat for 360 for getting things started, although in hindsight things could have been better.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
love how everyone here is ignoring that hes actually talking to some people in the replies to that tweet and understanding them.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil is the pretendent, not the king. This is the reason of his strategy.
Phil doesn't have the comfort of having great studio output consistently for 2 generations. Phil doesn't have the comfort of the stronger brand. Phil doesn't have the comfort of a great generation behind. So he needs to get creative.

I don't think some people get it, but 300$ seems to be the mass market sweetspot. Switch was extremely successful at it and traditionally console sales roars when they reach that price. It's comfortable enough to spend when you're not an enthusiast.

Launching a console at 400$ means you get the enthusiasts from the start and hit mass market price with the first hardware revision, probably after 2 or 3 years. That gives you very pleasant ride. I'm sure MS would love to target that, it served them great with X360. They just can't. They cannot afford to face Sony directly, because if they both targeted the same pricepoint and MS turned out to be the slightly weaker one, it could literally kill them.

However, it turns around if you do something different. You build a stronger, more expensive box at higher pricepoint. It serves the enthusiast, so you get good will in the Internet, but more importantly, you get the bragging rights. Xbox as a brand is associated with power. Then you introduce another device, at 299$. That way you hit the sweetspot from the start, suddenly becoming in range for way wider market. If it was your only SKU, you would have to deal with "underpowered platform" issue. This way it's just "affordable option", which takes a lot of the odium, especially if you market it right. I expect 4K upscaled marketing, as I said earlier.

This "sandwich" is IMO the most viable strategy. It's also very safe, because even if Sony targets 499$ and even if they deliver a tad stronger hardware - that power push pulls them away from the market golden zone. So if Sony decides to compete on power - they actually undercut themselves, because then we are talking about 200$ difference, even more when you include GamePass and games cost.

IMO the best strategy for Sony is to stick to the pricepoint. They have a lot of brand loyalty, so power crown is not that important and they really can do a lot just based on their game studios. Playstations will sell regardless of MS offering and while being sandwiched might mean less market share, getting into higher bracket will mean it almost for sure.

If the "sandwich" theory will prove right, the prediction to win the generation would still be with Sony. The only way MS can change that is if:
a) their studio shopping spree start to really deliver
b) they offer better value through additional services, like GamePass.

And that's the big if. Last but not least, MS is playing slightly different game now. They aren't trying to win a generation, they're trying to win subscription wars, so the Phil's biggest goal is probably less becoming a sales leader and more becoming the best gaming platform ever.
so sony will let MS have a cheaper console AND the most powerful console? that makes no sense. You keep talking about Phil as if you know what goes on in his head and yet you are literally telling sony to launch a console $100 more expensive than the sweet spot you described while losing the support of the enthusiasts that made them so successful.

so they lose either way. i am not sure if thats the best strategy for anyone.

Panelo is right. you dont care about what the competitor is doing and you put out the best console you can have for the price you can afford. if that means taking a $200 loss and launching a $399 console instead of a $499 one with a $100 loss, thats what they will do. but launching a gimped console on day 1 is simply not Sony's motto. and rumors from devs in the industry point to sony leading in performance. even windows central and brad sams and of course even Phil Spencer have been hesitant to claim the power crown. If the difference was 30%, Phil wouldve known by now. in reality, they are likely much closer to each other. maybe within a tflop or 5%. i mean he had no problems calling scorpio the most powerful console ever 6 months before the reveal of the pro based on devkit ps4 pro rumors.
Keep in mind I've been saying I want both to target $500 since day one. However I can't ignore some market realities. So I think there are a few important things to keep in mind:

Both MS and Sony of course want to sell as many consoles as possible but only one is likely to launch two consoles. That said, I think it's safe to say that console sales matters more to Sony than MS since MS is moving in a different direction that puts a bigger focus on users than hardware units sold. In the end, I think we can all agree that Sony will sell more regardless. However, with console sales being more important to them, they likely want to retain as much of their market share as possible. Pitting a $500 console against a $300 Lockhart would work against this goal. So while Sony would sell more in the end no matter what, I think a $500/$300 combo would put a bigger dent in Sony's market share if they came out with just a $500 console. They would have a less attractive option for the more price conscious consumer for an entire generation. However if they launch at $400, they can still provide a very capable machine that would also appeal to a larger market.

I hope none of this happens and we get 2 ~12TF consoles for $500 but it really does make more business sense for Sony to launch at $400.
see above. it simply doesnt make sense for sony to lose out on enthusiasts who buy at launch and spend $1,700 on average over the life of the console. AND give up the mainstream users who spend $700.

And Lockhart will worry sony for sure but not enough to change their plans. no one is gonna buy that weak console. especially not the day 1 buyers. its going to generate a lot of bad press from DF and MS of all companies know how internet forums and twitter can create mass hysteria with very little. thats if it launches on day 1 at all which i dont think it will seeing as how phil refuses to talk about it and devs are only just now finding out about it.

why would sony care then? lockhart would be like the switch or the wii u. a console aimed at an entirely different market.

and i did the math earlier. to get to 9 tflops with 36 CUs, you need to have a VERY expensive cooling solution and a GPU only 50mm2 smaller than the 407mm2 scarlett. you are not saving a $100 with the apu alone. it will need to be gutted just like the lcokhart. GPU half the size. Much much worse CPU. Smaller ram. Smaller ssd. not to mention money saved elsewhere like same controller, no 3d audio chip, no cooling system that is able to run the games at 2.0 ghz or even 1.8 ghz and 8 tflops.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
I understand that's the POV of a gaming enthusiast. But that doesn't mean I'm not enthusiastic about gaming, either. I just choose to spend my money this way just the way you choose to as well. Not owning everything doesn't mean you aren't enthusiastic about something you enjoy. Lol

Apols, didn't mean to say you weren't enthusiastic about your games :)

Status
Not open for further replies.