• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people really sold on the idea of BC actually mattering this gen because Sony is finally coming up to speed in that area?

I'm very lazy and dont feel like looking but I seem to remember that when you look at the numbers/data, BC matters to a very small percentage of the user base.

Second, for those excited about BC, are you really excited just to play the same games with no innate improvements? That's what Sony's BC strategy needs to include, IMO. They'll need to match or improve upon what Microsoft has done in that arena.

Edit: a bit old (2017) but you get my point:

It was, but many of us have digital games and growing digital libraries, carrying them forward is a big deal to many.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people really sold on the idea of BC actually mattering this gen because Sony is finally coming up to speed in that area?

I'm very lazy and dont feel like looking but I seem to remember that when you look at the numbers/data, BC matters to a very small percentage of the user base.

Second, for those excited about BC, are you really excited just to play the same games with no innate improvements? That's what Sony's BC strategy needs to include, IMO. They'll need to match or improve upon what Microsoft has done in that arena.

BC with PS4 matters dearly to me. My digital library is large and active.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
So the one thing that keeps sticking out in my mind....

Well first let me preface by saying I don't care which system is more powerful I just enjoy trying to keep up with the discussion. I'm excited about both.

...is that regardless of whether the PS5 is 9.2, 10.5, 12.9, or 14 , whatever TF number you like the most. We still haven't seen evidence of a chip in the pipeline that matches anything beyond 9.2 right (Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken and missed something, the threads move fast)?

But just from following along it seems that most sensible people working at the 9.2 mark right now aren't arguing that a faster chip isn't possible or what we have seen is definitive, or that those test results are the be all end all, but simply that its all we have concrete evidence to support. Correct?

The time frame we have between expected announcements, going to production, and launch is closing pretty quickly is it not? I just feel like there would have to be something more concrete at this point if there was a bigger chip out there.

Again, I may have just missed something along the way and am open to further insight.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was taking about ps1 games they all played those. The first 80gb ones in the UK that came with MGS4 had software ps2 emulation but it was spotty

Fair enough.

I only remember PS3 had BC because the first games I put in it were Kingdom Hearts 2 & Snake Eater, and both looked crisper than they did on PS2.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I had canon cameras for a good few years and always found it confusing why it was difficult to directly compare with nikon models. They were often releasing models in certain price tiers Seemingly deliberately offset from each other, so one would have more megapixels one year, but if you were invested in lenses for the other you felt ok because you didn't have to wait long for an update form the other company

is this a deliberate product strategy when you have a small number of major players? Deliberat avoiding direct head to head product launches?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but I was commenting that there weren't ps2 revisions that couldn't play ps1 games.
I think some models of the PS2 slim model did not have PS1 hardware so it's BC is more limited. This also causes some problems in PS2 games that used that hardware to get extra boost. I think Jak and Daxter games are such examples.

Oct 25, 2017

Got to keep in mind the rise of GaaS. BC going into this gen isn't the same as BC going into next gen.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017

Cause fortnite and all those other free to play games aren't going to have a next gen version for a good while after release if ever. It allows people to keep playing their games as a service on new hardware. People are playing the same games for lots lots longer now than last gen.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Holy shit i forgot it was Jim Ryan who made that backwards compatibility comment. Hes made some dumb ass comments.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
I had canon cameras for a good few years and always found it confusing why it was difficult to directly compare with nikon models. They were often releasing models in certain price tiers Seemingly deliberately offset from each other, so one would have more megapixels one year, but if you were invested in lenses for the other you felt ok because you didn't have to wait long for an update form the other company

is this a deliberate product strategy when you have a small number of major players? Deliberat avoiding direct head to head product launches?

I think this is a great example. Direct competition is rarely preferred option.

Oct 25, 2017
It was, but many of us have digital games and growing digital libraries, carrying them forward is a big deal to many.

A very fair point which I did not consider but is the average consumer really going to jump into PS5 to play the same games the same way they've been playing them since 2013?

The rise of the digital age has increased the relevancy of BC, but I hope Sony takes a page out of Microsoft's book. I love BB to death but I don't want to play it in 1080p/30fps on a device capable of 4k/120fps. Maybe Sony will get a pass in the way that Nintendo sometimes does almost like industry rewarding them for finally catching up.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
I think it's obvious what he means. There was nothing on the market close to the power of a sony console at the time of release.

The PS1 launched in 1994 at $299 ($511.38 in current dollars). It was demonstrably more capable than Sega's Saturn, and completely destroyed the 3D0, CDi, and Jaguar systems. A more powerful console didn't show up until Nintendo released the N64, two years later.

The PS2 launched in March of 2000, also at $299 ($440 in current dollars). It was well past the capabilities of the dreamcast that released one year prior, and a more powerful console did not release until The Xbox hit shelves 15 months later in November of 2001 along with the gamecube.

The PS3 launched a year after the 360 in 2006 at $499/$599 ($634/$761), and a more powerful console didn't show up until the WiiU in 2012.

The PS4 launched in 2013 at $399 ($440.78) and has not yet been exceeded by a console competitor.

The implication is pretty clear. Sony has never gone for a strategy of releasing an inexpensive system below the capabilities of anything on the market within 1.5 years of release, and a $399 PS5 would be BY FAR the cheapest system they ever released...for no good reason. They've been able to crank out blockbusters far above that price point consistently.

I agree, somehow I'm struggling to see Sony positioning themselves to be a cheap budget option for hardware just for the sake of arbitrary price, and let's not kid ourselves 399 for tech at the end of 2020 will already be a very budget price.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Cause fortnite and all those other free to play games aren't going to have a next gen version for a good while after release if ever. It allows people to keep playing their games as a service on new hardware. People are playing the same games for lots lots longer now than last gen.
Fortnite isn't going to get a next gen version? They ported it to literally everything that can render it. Porting it to next gen consoles using PC parts is trivial for Epic.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't intend to ever own an Xbox console so I hope Somy knocks it out of the park and offers something comparable to Xbox in power and performance.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The last PS2 slim model with the internal PSU doesn't have PS1 hardware so it's BC is more limited. This also causes some problems in PS2 games that used that hardware to get extra boost. I think Jak and Daxter games are such examples.
I never knew that. I remember there being some ps2 games that were broken on late ps2s, but not ps1. Then again, I would have stopped caring about ps1 BC by then, so not surprising. Going to have to go look this up hah.

Oct 25, 2017

Why wont fortnite get a next gen release? Serious question

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
A very fair point which I did not consider but is the average consumer really going to jump into PS5 to play the same games the same way they've been playing them since 2013?

The rise of the digital age has increased the relevancy of BC, but I hope Sony takes a page out of Microsoft's book. I love BB to death but I don't want to play it in 1080p/30fps on a device capable of 4k/120fps. Maybe Sony will get a pass in the way that Nintendo sometimes does almost like industry rewarding them for finally catching up.

I've been in this business for a LONG time and there is an emotional aspect of Back Compat that is often overlooked, and it's around customer trust and good faith with the brand and the technology. When was the last time you played a DVD (assuming you have a DVD library), yet you would be completely turned off by a DVD-like format that didn't play the older discs.

It shows that companies respect the investment that customers have made, and are willing to not try and think past their needs. Maybe they won't actually play the games but they might LIKE to play the games at some point. Or, maybe during the launch period when new release are slow (or maybe they have friends who haven't upgraded their consoles) it doesn't isolate people from playing with their friends.

And absolutely true that digital libraries change the dynamic hugely.

So it's true that there is a lack of BC uses as the generation goes on, but I have always believed that it's critical to building a long-term platform. I think it was really smart of Xbox to invest heavily there, and I think it's smart of Sony to start investing here too.

I absolutely think that a robust PS4 back-compat strategy will get people to buy a PS5 faster. Christmas and Birthdays come every year, and if all I need to enjoy my old games AND my new games is a single HW purchase, that's an easy choice.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

BC won't matter because people will use it.
BC will matter because of sense of ownership.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to miss my 4tb usb drive on my PS4 when I switch over.

SSDs are well and good. But I've pretty much got every game I'd play downloaded.
It makes it fun to be like "oh maybe I'll play this"
Rather than download for hours since I've only got 150mbps download.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Even if the github rumours point to the contrary, I trust Klee and I think Ps5 will be north of 10,7 Tflops (Since according to Screier both Microsoft and Sony were aiming to beat Stadia's performance).

So I'd say it'd be 10,7 Tflops at its lowest or 13Tflops at its highest (since Klee said Ps5 had a slight edge over Scarlett). I'd be very surprised if Sony managed to get 13Tflops on their machine and extremely curious at the size or design of their chip and thermals and air flow of the console as well.

$499 machine, of course

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unnecessary at the bolded.
How is it unnecessary? I gave my opinion about how I'd like PS5 performance to be compared to Xbox because I don't plan to own both.

Some of you have weird hang ups about people not wanting to go all in on a hobby and own everything, especially when said out loud. You take it as a personal affront or something. I didn't even put Xbox down, as I clearly propped it up in my post as I expect it to be a pretty good console.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
eh...it's not a great example. Sony was in a very different place heading into the PS4 generation than they were prior.
The profitability of the games and services sector wasn't great, because of what happened with the PS3 and they had lost a lot of marketshare.

On top of that, there was a VERY REAL concern that mobile was going to start taking huge chunks out of the home console market- Mobile is responsible for not only the sales of the Wii falling off a cliff in 2011, but also the Vita losing 85% of the PSP's market, and the 3DS losing 50% of the market of the DS.

Conservative was the way to go, and the PS4 even at 8GB GDDR5 is the LEAST ambitious system Sony has ever made.

Look at the PS1, PS2, and PS3 in comparison- all three of those were cutting edge systems charging as much as the market could bear at the time (though the PS3 was an extreme case of this, for reasons outside of gaming) and Sony pulled no punches with them.

Ask yourself now if the state of the console market is closer now to where it was when Sony was coming off of the record breaking PS2- where they had profit to burn and a market nearly to themselves, or closer to the PS3, when the industry itself was shaken up by disruption and Sony had been running in the red for years?

Yep. Context is everything.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned the emotional part is nice for consumers which is something Sony's 'for the players' marketing would work well with

also BC can help transition to the new generation as users can safely sell their console to offset the cost. that can have a knock on effect of more used consoles in the market reducing prices and bribing on more of the price conscious users to your 'old' machine but they're also potential long tail next gen customers too

and for cloud gaming having a single box covering multiple generations of hardware can make your server racks much simpler

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
BC also means that your friend circle can update one by one and keep gaming together. A very good argument to stay in the ecosystem.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'm going to miss my 4tb usb drive on my PS4 when I switch over.

SSDs are well and good. But I've pretty much got every game I'd play downloaded.
It makes it fun to be like "oh maybe I'll play this"
Rather than download for hours since I've only got 150mbps download.
For ps5 games, yeah, I'll miss that too. Though I usually just play 1 or 2 games at any given time.
For ps4, there's no reason that we know of, for games to not work off external drives on ps5.

ok what did you guys do.

spinfoil hat on
Is bluepoint making a medieval game? Demon's souls has knights and castles and stuff, right?

BC also means that your friend circle can update one by one and keep gaming together. A very good argument to stay in the ecosystem.
Yup. Sony already confirmed cross play between ps4 and ps5.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in this business for a LONG time and there is an emotional aspect of Back Compat that is often overlooked, and it's around customer trust and good faith with the brand and the technology. When was the last time you played a DVD (assuming you have a DVD library), yet you would be completely turned off by a DVD-like format that didn't play the older discs.

It shows that companies respect the investment that customers have made, and are willing to not try and think past their needs. Maybe they won't actually play the games but they might LIKE to play the games at some point. Or, maybe during the launch period when new release are slow (or maybe they have friends who haven't upgraded their consoles) it doesn't isolate people from playing with their friends.

And absolutely true that digital libraries change the dynamic hugely.

So it's true that there is a lack of BC uses as the generation goes on, but I have always believed that it's critical to building a long-term platform. I think it was really smart of Xbox to invest heavily there, and I think it's smart of Sony to start investing here too.

I absolutely think that a robust PS4 back-compat strategy will get people to buy a PS5 faster. Christmas and Birthdays come every year, and if all I need to enjoy my old games AND my new games is a single HW purchase, that's an easy choice.

I mean I definitely get all of this. It makes total sense. But the vibe I'm getting is that Sony having BC is some sort of gamechanger. As I stated many times, people who care about BC shouldnt just be happy playing the same games the same way. Microsoft raised the bar and Sony should follow and be criticized for not doing so (if so, course)

Maybe this reaction is sort of a "thank God" moment which I can certainly understand given Jim's Ryan's 2017 comments.

You end on a good point. When it gets going (like most systems) the PS5 is going to be awesome. But many consoles rarely start out that way. In fact, I didnt think there was a piece of software worth owning on the PS4 until 2015 and the inclusion of BC would not have swayed my hand.

My point is that Sony's BC strategy will flat if they cant get the heavy hitters year day one 'switch-like".

Status
Not open for further replies.