• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
The first two years are very important.
Maybe not for everyone, but they'll be crucial for Sony.
If the PS5 has a 'slow' start, it will instantly be labeled as a failure because it couldn't sell as fast as the previous console and the Switch (that's constantly being compared to the PS4, sales wise).

That's what selling over 100 million consoles does to you.
Of course the first two years are important. But not for mainstream adoption. I just don't think a 499$ launchprice would affect sales for the early adopters. Provided the value is there of course.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You know the biggest change for these consoles is the CPU. It seems like every speculator is assuming that the CPUs will both be exactly the same. Perhaps realistically it'll be 10% max either way.

But then again that's almost the same margin of GPU power.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Ok but... Couldn't you turn that around for Xbox too?

Here's another thought experiment: You're the CEO of Xbox. You're about to decide whether you are targeting $400 or $500. At the moment, you're lagging well behind your competitor. Your previous base console, not as successful as you might have hoped, was targeting $500.

How ballsy would you have to be to adopt the exact strategy the landed you in second place again?

I would do exactly what MS is doing : we can´t compete in a parity scenario, we can´t compete with a higher pricing machine and we can´t compete with a weaker machine.
What do we do ? Options to not land into closed scenarios we obviously can´t compete and hope it works.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're misunderstanding the conversation around price on the PS5.

It's not about what Sony (or MS for that matter) can "afford" in terms of production costs or losses on HW at launch. And it's not about whether Sony can sell more consoles than MS at a certain price point. Gaming is a huge percentage of Sony's overall business, and therefore the profitability of their gaming division dives a large part of the company's overall financial position (and therefore stock price, an item extremely important to decision-makers in the company).

At the end of the day, their decision-making goes like this: "If we build a box at a $500 price point, rather than a $400 price point, are we going to sell more consoles and drive more gaming revenue?" If the answer is "no" then it doesn't make sense to build a $500 box unless you think there are external strategic factors at play. Consider all the factors that are constantly raised in Sony's favor in the console wars threads:,
  • Exclusive games are a key driver of platform choice, and Sony's first-party has been much more successful than MS over the past decade
  • Xbox has barely any presence in most markets outside of US/UK
  • Playstation brand loyalty / presence is so strong that just posting the PS5 logo on Twitter/Instagram drove incredible social media engagement
  • By virtue of its market position, PS is able to obtain third-party exclusive deals much more cheaply than Xbox
Based on the above, and considering that the lion's share of profits in the console space is based upon collecting the platform fees for games, selling services such as PS+, and selling accessories, it would make the most business sense to design your console for a price point that is going to move the most total units. When you consider all of that, why would Sony care to engage in a spec pissing contest if they could provide a functionally on-par box at $400?

This is your mistake .
Thinking all user are the same they are not .
Sony make twice the amount of money off early buyers than they do late buyers and power is a factor there .
Also they won't be losing money off the consoles whole gen but just for a years or 2 .
For eg they move to 5nm as soon as they get the chance.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
What do you think about Microsoft potentially launching both an Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at the same time?
Gives them an excuse to bring the Series X at a higher price point. They can introduce the S first to make it really presentable and then:

"Here's the S....buuuuut if you want the fastest most powerful Xbox, then here you go!"

Something like that anyway.

D BATCH

Nov 15, 2017
What do you think about Microsoft potentially launching both an Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at the same time?
Sneaky
giphy-downsized.gif

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA

I don't comment directly on Microsoft's plans or strategies, simply because I had in-depth knowledge before I left. So I either risk leaking something that I shouldn't, or I say something that's no longer correct because the plan has changed in the 1.5 years since I've left (which I'm sure it has in some ways). Neither one is a great place to be (that's why I stick to only commenting on Sony's stuff because I really don't know)

So I'll sound more cagey than I would like - but IF the rumors around a Lockhart-like device are true, then I think it's something that would have to ship at the same time as Series X, simply to make sure that games work on it. I don't see how you could launch something like that later and have games guaranteed to work without a huge lift on the internal teams.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017

It's not about what Sony (or MS for that matter) can "afford" in terms of production costs or losses on HW at launch. And it's not about whether Sony can sell more consoles than MS at a certain price point. Gaming is a huge percentage of Sony's overall business, and therefore the profitability of their gaming division dives a large part of the company's overall financial position (and therefore stock price, an item extremely important to decision-makers in the company).

At the end of the day, their decision-making goes like this: "If we build a box at a $500 price point, rather than a $400 price point, are we going to sell more consoles and drive more gaming revenue?" If the answer is "no" then it doesn't make sense to build a $500 box unless you think there are external strategic factors at play. Consider all the factors that are constantly raised in Sony's favor in the console wars threads:,
  • Exclusive games are a key driver of platform choice, and Sony's first-party has been much more successful than MS over the past decade
  • Playstation brand loyalty / presence is so strong that just posting the PS5 logo on Twitter/Instagram drove incredible social media engagement
  • By virtue of its market position, PS is able to obtain third-party exclusive deals much more cheaply than Xbox
Based on the above, and considering that the lion's share of profits in the console space is based upon collecting the platform fees for games, selling services such as PS+, and selling accessories, it would make the most business sense to design your console for a price point that is going to move the most total units. When you consider all of that, why would Sony care to engage in a spec pissing contest if they could provide a functionally on-par box at $400?

(Alternatively, if you want to take the position that then they would just eat a $100 loss on each console, consider what that means. Assume that over the life of the console, that number becomes $50; because maybe they're eating $100 on the early consoles but that number decreases over the life of the console. If they sell 100 million consoles this generation, eating $50 per unit means $5 billion less profits. That doesn't make sense at all, when you could invest that money so many different ways.)

Does this mean it never makes sense for Sony to target the high end of the price range at launch? No. Maybe they've decided that VR is still poised to be the next big thing, and have decided that they need the specs of a $500 box to deliver on a next-gen VR experience with PSVR2 in 2022? Or maybe they think that by not ceding any performance high-ground to Xbox they can get MS out of the console business for good? Or maybe they feel like by beefing up the specs today, they may lose a certain number of sales early in the generation, but they'll be able to extend the PS5's life for a year or two more, which will be overall more profitable in the long-term?

This is what people are talking about when they question whether it makes sense for Sony to design their console at a $500 price point. For reasons discussed immediately above, that doesn't mean there's no way they'll do it. It just means that, on the face of things, there are extremely compelling business reasons to target a more modest price point.
Why can't that functionally on-par box be 10+ TF? (Not really directed at you, but for those hell bent on 8 or 9TF) Why must it be less than 10TF to make sense? I have this feeling sony will make a 10+ TF box for 400 dollars. Any thing more is just a bonus

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
This is a fair counter-point, for sure. There are *also* good reasons Sony may be targeting a higher price and I think this is a logical thought process.

I would simply be surprised if they they thought this way. The volume difference of the Pro vs. the X would suggest the better bet is $399 than matching a TFLOPS battle. I assume that would be Sony's takeaway from what's happening in the market.

Of course Sony cares about performance. But do they care more about volume is the key question in my mind.
I see two scenarios from Sony perspective:

1. Aim for 399 and risk being sandwiched by significantly better offering in Series X on one end (potentially loosing people who care about power and all or at least 3rd party purchasing revenue they bring), and on the other hand competing with significantly cheaper machine which will suit customers who just want the cheapest entry.
2. Aim for 499 and risk the same as above (however significantly reduced if the power gap is still in favour of MS). They would be loosing the people who want the cheapest entry regardless.
In my opinion option 2 works better as it is unlikely that many people would be that bothered going from 399 to 499 launch price and like I say people that want the cheapest will go for Lockhart regardless and frankly I don't believe these people are a core demographic to either MS or Sony (no offence)

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
They could build a 600$ device having a very strong brand at the moment. In fact, they even tried it once. Ended badly.
It's not that they cannot, it's that they lack motivation to do so. Bigger price - less potential customers.

MS on the other hand already battle-tested 499$ pricepoint with the device that made miracles to their brand. Phil wants the power crown, because it gives him differentiator. Sony can just go back to their reputation of awesome first-party titles. They don't need that crown.
How can you count X when that's a mid gen refresh? The last time Microsoft launched at $500 it didn't end well for them.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Gives them an excuse to bring the Series X at a higher price point. They can introduce the S first to make it really presentable and then:

"Here's the S....buuuuut if you want the fastest most powerful Xbox, then here you go!"

Something like that anyway.

Flanking maneuver against Sony. You then get to own both the lowest price title and the top performance title. It is a great maneuver IMO to grab low-end marketshare. The only issue is how far off the "baseline" the value model is from a compute perspective... which could hamstring progress from a development front.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is clearly in pole position to "win" next generation if you are talking about console sales, but there are some real wildcards that could be in play to make things much more interesting across the board this time with a potentially cheaper Xbox Series S/Lockhart option (could be up to $200 cheaper if Sony really did decide to target $499 price point), Xbox Game Pass providing a new console's entire first party launch lineup as part of a subscription on day one (likely bundled) which has never happened before and even xCloud coming into focus more in 2020 and through launch as just another alternative way to play Xbox ecosystem content from Game Pass when you aren't on your console.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Ok, about that, and I will try to use very neutral words. I don't think people judge Mark Cerny right. X1/PS4 launch was a very once-in-a-lifetime thing, with MS betting all on 8GBs of RAM and failing when better dices became available. If you look what Cerny actually had in mind, it's 1.8TF 4GB GDDR5 RAM device. Nice - but nothing to write home about. Even final PS4 would be a disappointment(nobody was excited for a mid-range Radeon GPU power), but compared to Xbox(that screwed up on unrelated reasons, though I see them as just unlucky) it looked great.

8.5TF PS5 is exactly something like Cerny would build - powerful enough to bring new level of gaming, featureful enough to be interesting, cheap enough to be mass-market from the start.
Mark Cerny also convinced them to create a custom memory interface for the PS Vita. Part of the challenge will be how the system cost reduces over time.

(Alternatively, if you want to take the position that then they would just eat a $100 loss on each console, consider what that means. Assume that over the life of the console, that number becomes $50; because maybe they're eating $100 on the early consoles but that number decreases over the life of the console. If they sell 100 million consoles this generation, eating $50 per unit means $5 billion less profits. That doesn't make sense at all, when you could invest that money so many different ways.)

Does this mean it never makes sense for Sony to target the high end of the price range at launch? No. Maybe they've decided that VR is still poised to be the next big thing, and have decided that they need the specs of a $500 box to deliver on a next-gen VR experience with PSVR2 in 2022? Or maybe they think that by not ceding any performance high-ground to Xbox they can get MS out of the console business for good? Or maybe they feel like by beefing up the specs today, they may lose a certain number of sales early in the generation, but they'll be able to extend the PS5's life for a year or two more, which will be overall more profitable in the long-term?

This is what people are talking about when they question whether it makes sense for Sony to design their console at a $500 price point. For reasons discussed immediately above, that doesn't mean there's no way they'll do it. It just means that, on the face of things, there are extremely compelling business reasons to target a more modest price point.
Good analysis. There are a lot of confounding factors however that are difficult to evaluate simultaneously:

• What is the importance of early adopters and what do those buyers look like?
  • What does the lifetime spend of an early adopter look like vs other buyers?
  • How important are those early adopters to influencing future sales?
  • You can pretty count on selling out the first 4-6 months you are on the market. How fast can you cost reduce after that?
  • Are you prepared to take more of a loss to adjust to the market? You can cut price after launch to adjust to market conditions. You can't bump
You may say I'm placing too much importance on early adopters, but who exactly do you think Sony is catering to putting so much effort into backwards compatibility after mocking those same consumers last gen?

Last edited:

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it fascinating that there is such a strong narrative being created about how Sony must (under mostr circumstances anyway) price the PS5 at $399.

That Microsoft have free-reign to price within a range ($399 with losses or $499) for XsX, but that Sony would never do this because "business reasons".

Now I get the reasons, they're valid - "fastest transition", mass-market price, only 9tf to keep costs of silicon down with small die area - all of these can be argued, however, based on what little info has been leaked around the PS5, it doesn't sound to me like a cheap/mass-market device. It sounds just as premium as the XsX looks like it will be.

$499 is not a very high price to pay for a console that is supposed to last for a 7 years (~$71/year). But apparently the rule is that Sony cannot ever price a console above $399 and they would never take a loss (on a consumer good that until this last generation was notorious as a loss-leader/razor and blades model)...all this when Sony makes so much money from subs that *for once they could easily subsidise a cheaper launch price*

There are good arguments for a mass-market price for *both* XsX and PS5 - if you think it's in Sony's best interest to price the PS5 at $399, why does the same also not apply to Microsoft? And Lockhart/"Series S" doesn't count here as it hasn't been officially announced so it may never launch.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Thank you Albert! :)

The inflation argument isn't a great one though, being honest.

In the late 70s/early 80s there WAS no system in place to ensure that only certain devs could release games for a system, and by the same token there was no platform holder cut of profits per game sold. The margin was in the sales of the console itself, accessories, and first party titles.

The lockout chip popularized by the NES (though the 5200 had something similar as well) changed this- the platform holder could approve or deny games that would play on the system and charge a cut of profits in the process. This of course changes the calculus of how much a system would/could cost, and every other major system released from the time of the NES through the Xbox used the same model- except for one.

That was the Panasonic 3D0, which had a rather unorthodox model of "licensing" the right to make 3D0 systems to hardware manufacturers (like Panasonic and Goldstar) who were expected to make their profit margin on the system, not the software. Predictably, the 3D0 launched at $700 (a mindblowing $1200 in current money), was widely panned for it, and no one tried going back to the Atari-Era business model ever again.

With the release of the Xbox360 and PS3, the profit model changed again. Robust digital storefronts accessible from the console itself meant that the retailer margin could now be cut out of a significant percentage of game sales, making per game sales more profitable, and Microsoft popularized the practice of charging money for online access alone on top of that, which created another revenue stream alongside somewhat lesser new revenue streams like online advertising. (edit: because someone will inevitably be pedantic, yes i'm aware digital storefronts existed before the 360 and PS3. No, they weren't significant enough to bring in enough revenue to change the calculus on how much the system could cost at that time).

Again, this changes how much a console should cost, because the profitability of each console sold went WAY up. The PS4 has only been on the market since 2013, but is already more profitable than the PS1 and PS2 combined.

Given that, doing a straightline comparison to 1977 and saying that "console costs haven't kept up with inflation" doesn't actually make a lot of sense. The business is completely, totally different. Inflation doesn't matter. Get profitability high enough and you could even see these things given out like Cable Boxes with the service.

I find it fascinating that there is such a strong narrative being created about how Sony must (under mostr circumstances anyway) price the PS5 at $399.

That Microsoft have free-reign to price within a range ($399 with losses or $499) for XsX, but that Sony would never do this because "business reasons".

Now I get the reasons, they're valid - "fastest transition", mass-market price, only 9tf to keep costs of silicon down with small die area - all of these can be argued, however, based on what little info has been leaked around the PS5, it doesn't sound to me like a cheap/mass-market device. It sounds just as premium as the XsX looks like it will be.

$499 is not a very high price to pay for a console that is supposed to last for a 7 years (~$71/year). But apparently the rule is that Sony cannot ever price a console above $399 and they would never take a loss (on a consumer good that until this last generation was notorious as a loss-leader/razor and blades model)...all this when Sony makes so much money from subs that *for once they could easily subsidise a cheaper launch price*

There are good arguments for a mass-market price for *both* XsX and PS5 - if you think it's in Sony's best interest to price the PS5 at $399, why does the same also not apply to Microsoft? And Lockhart/"Series S" doesn't count here as it hasn't been officially announced so it may never launch.

That being said I agree with this completely. Sony will charge what the market will bear, and there is ample evidence that the market can easily support a $499 system. Even $599 might be in play had not the PS3 left such a bad impression there.

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Lockhart is the main reason whether you want to count it or not.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I don't comment directly on Microsoft's plans or strategies, simply because I had in-depth knowledge before I left. So I either risk leaking something that I shouldn't, or I say something that's no longer correct because the plan has changed in the 1.5 years since I've left (which I'm sure it has in some ways). Neither one is a great place to be (that's why I stick to only commenting on Sony's stuff because I really don't know)

So I'll sound more cagey than I would like - but IF the rumors around a Lockhart-like device are true, then I think it's something that would have to ship at the same time as Series X, simply to make sure that games work on it. I don't see how you could launch something like that later and have games guaranteed to work without a huge lift on the internal teams.
Hmmm

Oct 25, 2017
This is an EXCELLENT post. Everyone should read it.

Seconded. It's the best post I've come across in these console warrior threads. Who the fuck cares about power anyway when a single next gen game has yet to be unveiled and demoed properly?

I feel like so many massage board gamers are still trapped in the "MOAR power mindset" when it's all about the games.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Of course not. It's getting tiresome to read this again and again.

CPU may impact framerate when a game is CPU limited which is a rather rare case even on current gen systems.

On next gen systems, with their 8C/16T Zen2 CPUs and 4K output targets, with real time RT and stuff, most games will be solely GPU limited.
People don't realize that frame-rate is a race between the CPU and GPU, whoever finishes last will set the frame-rate (with 1 frame offset). They've heard the words "the frame-rate is limited by the CPU" so many times in the past 6+ years because of the atrocious Jaguar that it's been engraved into their brain.

FPS is limited by whoever is taxed more, the CPU or the GPU.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Seconded. It's the best post I've come across in these console warrior threads. Who the fuck cares about power anyway when a single next gen game has yet to be unveiled and demoed properly?

I feel like so many massage board gamers are still trapped in the "MOAR power mindset" when it's all about the games.

If you talking business it's much more than that .
Being less powerful mean you can lose money from early buyers .
Which mean less money from subs , fee, dlc etc etc .

I should not when i say less power i mean by a gap and not some small amount.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
That's a good way of looking at it. Another way is that they built the most successful generation in their history by trusting the architecture to a single entity, Mark Cerny. On top of that, they made a last minute cost decision to double the RAM. I think they can be persuaded by technical arguments.
I'm hoping that the PS5 turns out to be the culmination of Mark Cerny having free reign on its design and specs as a thanks for catching lightning in a bottle with the PS4, without going full Kutaragi of course, think that's what he meant by "will be appealing in light of its advanced feature set", maybe Sony was planning a $399 console back in 2019 but with the advancements in Ray-tracing, VRS, SSD and how efficient Navi is over GCN etc, an opportunity was presented here this time around for next gen and these are things Cerny REALLY wanted the PS5 to have as a really good generational leap and actually successfully convinced Sony to accept a $499 price tag.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Perfect post. Basically all of my thoughts on the matter as well.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think the PS5 will outsell the Xbox at a 20% power disadvantage. I don't think it really matters.

It's not about outselling them , think they will even with a power gap .
It's about making the most money possible.
If your a business that is what you try to do and people just disagreeing on the way to do it when it comes to price point and power.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
I don't understand why anyone thinks MS will or should release Lockhart AFTER the XSX.

That would just be so strange.
I don't even think this would be possible. The games need to run on the system, to there is dev work required. They have to launch at the same time. It's not like the mid-gen upgrade where you could just run the base version if the devs didn't update the game.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I would believe $399 PS5 but then what did Cerny mean that PS5's price will be "appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set".

That sounds over $399.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

Couldn't agree more. "400 bucks or sony is doomed" lol

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Perfect. Excellent post. The Switch is selling extremely well for not being the most powerful based solely on its brand, first party titles and price.

In the end all three are fighting for different segments of the market and all three can do very well.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
We know the answer to this one $1600 early buyers and $700 later ones.
Which is why saying they only want to move the most units not looking at the full picture .
Even more so if we talking about launch since they can adjust later on.

Thanks, I couldn't remember the stat.

And in my opinion, the last time a bunch of corporate suits got in a room together to design a console that could sell hundreds of millions, we got the Xbox One :)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
We know the answer to this one $1600 early buyers and $700 later ones.
Which is why saying they only want to move the most units not looking at the full picture .
Even more so if we talking about launch since they can adjust later on.

exactly. Early adopters and launch era buyers aren't price sensitive at all, going by their purchase history. They care about performance, they care about software library, and a number of other things. a $100 difference isn't going to sway those buyers- and Sony can sell as many units as they can manufacture, at least for a couple of years.

There's no real incentive for them to crank out a cheap console, especially since there is no significant competition for the PS5 in 2/3rds of the market where they sell them.

Once the early adopters have subsidized the system for everyone else- sony has room to drop costs to bring more price sensitive gamers on board.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Good analysis. There are a lot of confounding factors however that are difficult to evaluate simultaneously:

• What is the importance of early adopters and what do those buyers look like?
  • What does the lifetime spend of an early adopter look like vs other buyers?
  • How important are those early adopters to influencing future sales?
  • You can pretty count on selling out the first 4-6 months you are on the market. How fast can you cost reduce after that?
  • Are you prepared to take more of a loss to adjust to the market? You can cut price after launch to adjust to market conditions. You can't bump

Another question:

- Will they actually have less early adopters if they don't shoot for the moon with a loss leader console?

I REALLY want Sony to go big and be willing to spend big; everyone should, it's what is best for consumers.. but even early adopter / enthusiasts are pretty damn sold on the Sony ecosystem by and large. I don't think they need to sell a big loss leader to attract the enthusiast crowd at all.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I would believe $399 PS5 but then what did Cerny mean that PS5's price will be "appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set".

That sounds over $399.
It could mean it sounds like a $500 console but costs $400. I could mean it has features of much more expensive PCs, ala NVME/16gb ram/8c16thread cpu/ray tracing, but for a fraction of the price.

At the end of the day, it's all just PR speak for now.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina

That sounds over $399.
Thats the impression the guy got who was asking him the question
Cerny: I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP [suggested retail price] that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set.

Rubin: Meaning that it may cost a bit more but what you're getting is well worth it?

Cerny: That's about all I can say about it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds over $399.

I wouldn't take that statement at face value. I still believe it's Sony setting the stage to come out at $399 with the general reception being it's an incredible value for the tech they have in the console.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
exactly. Early adopters and launch era buyers aren't price sensitive at all, going by their purchase history- and Sony can sell as many units as they can manufacture, at least for a couple of years.

There's no real incentive for them to crank out a cheap console, especially since there is no significant competition for the PS5 in 2/3rds of the market where they sell them.

I think the problem some people have in here is thinking the MS and Sony brand equal WW like how it is in US\UK.
Sony has a lot more options when they have a WW base to sell to and with how PS4 sales are.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the people that expect 399 expecting 12 TF? That doesn't sound right but then again I don't know too much of this stuff.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, ultimately, console wars aside, the division on this is all about one person's belief on whether they're willing to take risks after the massive success that came about by going "conservative" in their hardware design last gen (even though that's debatable considering their options but I digress).

A 9 TF console is still an incredible console though. In his mind a 9TF console with whatever else Sony is packing in the console could still be exactly what he said.
People keep saying that, but they also keep having console warrior meltdowns when someone suggests both two consoles might actually be around that number.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
This is a fair counter-point, for sure. There are *also* good reasons Sony may be targeting a higher price and I think this is a logical thought process.

I would simply be surprised if they they thought this way. The volume difference of the Pro vs. the X would suggest the better bet is $399 than matching a TFLOPS battle. I assume that would be Sony's takeaway from what's happening in the market.

Of course Sony cares about performance. But do they care more about volume is the key question in my mind.
Interesting question. Sony has built up a lot of trust this generation, but they remember how bad it was less than 10 years ago when they were "arrogant Sony". This may steer them away from chasing the performance crown.

No matter what the PS5 ends up looking like specs wise, there is no doubt that Sony will bring a clear message around why they decided on that power level and feature set.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This is an EXCELLENT post. Everyone should read it.

Thanks. To me, it's clear launching XSX at $499 or above may leave MS vulnerable to a $399 PS5 And that's the reason around a Lockhart. It's just difficult to picture at a price point to undercut Sony such as $299.

Status
Not open for further replies.