• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
For all the people in the PS5 10TF+ camp I propose the following thought experiment.

You're the CEO of Playstation. You're about to decide whether you are targeting 400$ pricepoint or 500$ pricepoint. At the moment, you are a market leader with a giant 2x advantage over your immediate competitor. Your last two devices, both very successful and reasons you are a market leader, were targetting 400$. Playstation ecosystem, dependent on the number of sold units, is a giant source of revenue. If you screw up generation leap, your company will be hurt and you will likely be fired.

How ballsy would you have to be to drop a working strategy and try something new, just because your competition might target bigger pricepoint(and can still try to up you if they really, really care)?

Corporate leaders are rarely of the ballsy kind. They do not play with things that work. And that's why I think they will stick to price, with all the consequences of that.
That's basically been my logic for why I think Sony would go for the $399 pricepoint, and because MS is most likely going the two console approach that they would most likely have a more powerful console (and a less powerful one) at pricepoints that match that as that has worked for them in recent years (and not being hamstrung by Kinect).

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Lamfo Man Y'all underestimate the PlayStation brand power if think sony can't afford 499$ or the ps5 will have a hard time to sell at that price.

Agreed, particularly when we factor in inflation. $499 in 2020 is equivalent to $445 in 2013 and $391 in 2006. $499 is not some hugely problematic price-point for remotely good console technology in 2020. A $499 10+TF (let alone 12+ TF) console with an SSD in 2020 is actually very good value IMO.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
yep. MS's own insiders like Brad Sams, Tom Warren, Windows central all reported that lockhart was cancelled. Then six months later, they said it was revived. So why are we only going after klee for getting that wrong? and he didnt even get it wrong considering it was revived.

Me and you both know why only he was being piled upon. I find it very hard to believe that a forum which is known by so many well established devs/industry leaders don't have information about these consoles. There's a reason why no one ever bothers to engage in comparison because like Geis said it's poking the hornets nest.

DF at e3 reported that the devs either hated the lockhart or hated the idea of it. then we got reports that it was canned. the devkit rumors suggested that ms had only shipped the anaconda specs to devs. lockhart was simply forgotten because it was never its own devkit and ms seemed to have cancelled it after its poor reception. then six months later, they reapproach the devs with the same idea and thats when everyone leaked it again.

Honestly, I'm still pretty curious to know how the development of Lockhart has gone. There is some resistance with regards to this whole concept, hence the constant death and revival of the said SKU. I know we've been told plenty of times its going to replicate everything to the tee just at a lower resolution. But, I have a very hard time buying into it.

whats nuts is that klee is saying what some MS insiders were saying going back to March. I still remember brad sams saying that MS was going to focus on having anaconda match Sony on specs. it seems even back then he was being fed info that the ps5 was much more powerful than anyone imagined and ms was simply trying to match sony at that point with their premium sku.

i bring this up every now and then and yet because it doesnt fit the narrative, no one picks it up.

The activity in these threads have picked up so much since last March. It was still all too threadbare, with most of discussion revolving around 'SSD is too bloody expensive for consoles', '8TF is maximum we are getting'. MS have just gone out and confirmed all the things people thought was impossible is very much possible at past TGA.

I'm only baffled by the resistance to the idea that Sony are capable of matching that. I mean that is understandable if they are boxed in on a $399 SKU, but we have heard precisely zero murmurings from journalists or devs about that. It's all been about how close they are. We are just running in circles at this point and rehashing old arguments. It's gonna continue for a while too, until the next wired article drops or we have a PS meeting.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, particularly when we factor in inflation. $499 in 2020 is equivalent to $445 in 2013 and $391 in 2006. $499 is not some hugely problematic price-point for remotely good console technology in 2020. A $499 10+TF (let alone 12+ TF) console with an SSD in 2020 is actually very good value IMO.

Wages havent increased significantly, and aside from phones (which are subsidized or paid on installment thru contracts) consumer electronic prices seem to mostly be going down. I dont think people who can buy a 4k tv for 300 are going to care about inflation when staring down a 500 price tag

Im not a market analyst, is there some key fact im missing here?

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017

And yet games mostly stick to 60$. Last two TVs I bought nominally costed the same. Inflation doesn't mean people are willing to spend nominally more.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
For all the people in the PS5 10TF+ camp I propose the following thought experiment.

You're the CEO of Playstation. You're about to decide whether you are targeting 400$ pricepoint or 500$ pricepoint. At the moment, you are a market leader with a giant 2x advantage over your immediate competitor. Your last two devices, both very successful and reasons you are a market leader, were targetting 400$. Playstation ecosystem, dependent on the number of sold units, is a giant source of revenue. If you screw up generation leap, your company will be hurt and you will likely be fired.

How ballsy would you have to be to drop a working strategy and try something new, just because your competition might target bigger pricepoint(and can still try to up you if they really, really care)?

Corporate leaders are rarely of the ballsy kind. They do not play with things that work. And that's why I think they will stick to price, with all the consequences of that.
Exactly.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Wages havent increased significantly, and aside from phones (which are subsidized or paid on installment thru contracts) consumer electronic prices seem to mostly be going down. I dont think people who can buy a 4k tv for 300 are going to care about inflation when staring down a 500 price tag

I am not a market analyst either but you make an interesting point about stagnant wages. There is a growing wage gap and income equality is not good in the US.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina

Do you think the series x is 12ishTF? In this scenario

marecki

Aug 2, 2018

You're assuming that the only reason people had to buy PS4 or PS2 was and still is the arbitrary price of 399. That is ludicrous and frankly stupid. There are multiple reasons that go into it and the power is one of them (a very important one if you look at popularity of channels like DF). If according to you targeting a 399 price is a guaranteed path to success are you saying Xbox is releasing at 399 too and if not are you saying they lost to Sony already?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. It's really hard for me to believe Sony would only put out a premium console for 499-599. 599 would be ballsy and from what I understand, a 12 TF console would be around that price point

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

This gen has showed the opposite .
People are more than willing to pay for something once they see value.
PS4 will have the highest ASP of any Sony console .
I mean it's still $299 5 years later .
Also we not talking about late buyers we talking about first year ones and the price will go down like usual afterwards .

Yep. It's really hard for me to believe Sony would only put out a premium console for 499-599. 599 would be ballsy and from what I understand, a 12 TF console would be around that price point

Nah people in here are thinking these parts cost to much .

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I always thought that the PS5 will be a $499 console. Those Cerny comments described a powerful console with a price that will reflect that. Sure Sony wants to get the fastest transition in a console generation so $399 would be better price but PS a brand is currently the strongest it ever was so even a $599 console would probably beat the XSX...

But I don't think MS has to or needs to win the next generation to be content. As long as they have their subs/xCloud/PC gaming a "good" generation is all they need.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Man I only participated in this thread because of Klee. Even if his leaks would be all shit (which you will see in the end will be definitely true and break some fanboys hearts), he seemed like a cool guy to hang out with and really congenial

Klee if you read this: I and most other here believed you and respect you for your inputs and leaks (since these are also a dangerous business for sources) and you are definitely one of Eras Legends here;)

So again thanks for making this series of threads interesting 😊😊

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

What's to say Sony doesn't take a hit on the hardware, with all the money they made from this generation, to make it powerful but still not stupidly expensive ? The same way Microsoft will probably have to take a hit on the Series X because it's going to be pretty expensive if it's 12TF.

Kitsune84

Jan 2, 2018
I've been thinking, So the xbox series s gonna be 4 TF (rumours) so 1/3 of the series x. Well if they target 4k on the series x, 1/3 of 4K is 1440p. So the series s targets 1440p. And if the cpu, ssd and all but the gpu are the same. Then making games for both would not require much work at all. Maybe that's why the rumour is saying 4TF for the series s easy porting. The series s is also gonna be faster and better then the xbox one x. The series s is also gonna become a cheap and good 4k/ media player option. The more I think about it the more I think that the series s is really a good move from microsoft

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
From my perspective these TFlops number don't matter. Why ? Because the multiplat game will be equal or near equal with better comfort on two side. Less loading time on PS5 or better RT on xbox. But the game will be in the same spot globally. For the first party game the dev will pushed the hardware to the limit and deliver. The ps5 at 9tflops with the CPU and SSD side will be a huge gap with actual gen.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that the PS5 will be a $499 console. Those Cerny comments described a powerful console with a price that will reflect that. Sure Sony wants to get the fastest transition in a console generation so $399 would be better price but PS a brand is currently the strongest it ever was so even a $599 console would probably beat the XSX...

But I don't think MS has to or needs to win the next generation to be content. As long as they have their subs/xCloud/PC gaming a "good" generation is all they need.

A $599 consoles already tied with MS 15 plus years ago and that was with them being late .
They will have no problem selling a $500 consoles in the first year 15 years later .

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

I would 100% agree with this if not for PS4 Pro. The reality is that the price point is a functino of a number of things. One of them is the life cycle of the current console. If your sales are dropping rapidly, you want to target a mainstream price (when consoles usually launch at $399) to capture a new market quickly and make-up for drop in sales.
However, the situation now is very different because PS4 Pro extended the cycle considerably. Furthermore, PS4 is still selling at $299 meaning that Sony can further boost sales and smooth the cycle by dropping it to $249/$199 (PS4 right now most likely has a very high degree of pricing elasticity).

In this case, the siutation is different. It doesn't mean they'd launch at $499, but it's more likely than last time.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA

I made nearly the same argument here in April. I totally agree.

I understand what you're saying but for me the reason I think you're not factoring in is inflation.

Except console prices haven't nearly kept up with inflation. The intellivision was $299 in 1978, the 2600 was $199 in 1977. This is a great chart -

If consoles kept up with inflation we'd have $700 - $800 consoles today depending on what you wanted to use as a benchmark.

Even still at 2% year inflation growth, $299 in 2016 (when the Pro launched) is only ~ $312 today.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
This gen has showed the opposite .
People are more than willing to pay for something once they see value.
PS4 will have the highest ASP of any Sony console .
I mean it's still $299 5 years later .
Also we not talking about late buyers we talking about first year ones and the price will go down like usual afterwards .

But Sony also said officially that they want people to get a PS5 faster than ever. BC is a way to achieve it, but price is another easy way. They will sell a lot, even at a 500$ price point, but it seems to contradict one of their claim.
In fact, maybe the price point itself isn't that important, but selling your console 100$ less than your direct competitor would be the better way to make sure people won't even think about what console they need to buy.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I've been thinking, So the xbox series s gonna be 4 TF (rumours) so 1/3 of the series x. Well if they target 4k on the series x, 1/3 of 4K is 1440p. So the series s targets 1440p. And if the cpu, ssd and all but the gpu are the same. Then making games for both would not require much work at all. Maybe that's why the rumour is saying 4TF for the series s easy porting. The series s is also gonna be faster and better then the xbox one x. The series s is also gonna become a cheap and good 4k/ media player option. The more I think about it the more I think that the series s is really a good move from microsoft
This is what I suspect is the plan. The two Xboxs could very well behave like the Switch in docked vs portable mode. You've got nearly identical CPU performance, nearly identical memory speeds, and the GPU is there to meet the resolution goals. If the development kits were built really well for this type of situation it could make development even easier than it currently is with the Xbox One S and the X. In that case you've got very different CPU speeds, memory bandwidth, etc.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019

Except console prices haven't nearly kept up with inflation. The intellivision was $299 in 1978, the 2600 was $199 in 1977. This is a great chart -

If consoles kept up with inflation we'd have $700 - $800 consoles today depending on what you wanted to use as a benchmark.

Even still at 2% year inflation growth, $299 in 2016 (when the Pro launched) is only ~ $312 today.
What about Mark Cerny's comments then to be prepared for a more premium offering?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
xbox-series-x-3d-concept-front-and-rear.jpg

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
But Sony also said officially that they want people to get a PS5 faster than ever. BC is a way to achieve it, but price is another easy way. They will sell a lot, even at a 500$ price point, but it seems to contradict one of their claim.
In fact, maybe the price point itself isn't that important, but selling your console 100$ less than your direct competitor would be the better way to make sure people won't even think about what console they need to buy.

They can move consoles faster in many ways be it price , shipping more ,software , BC and even deals .
Also the mistake some people in here making is thinking MS and Sony brand even they are not in most parts of the world.

EDIT right now MS system much cheaper than Sony and it still don't sell well in EU.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1440p isn't 1/3, it's slightly less than 1/2 the pixel count.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
A 9 TF console is still an incredible console though. In his mind a 9TF console with whatever else Sony is packing in the console could still be exactly what he said.
And everyyone who says they are close just blowing smoke? the person who interviewed cerny for wired got the impression the price was going to be higher then $399

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017

Ok but... Couldn't you turn that around for Xbox too?

Here's another thought experiment: You're the CEO of Xbox. You're about to decide whether you are targeting $400 or $500. At the moment, you're lagging well behind your competitor. Your previous base console, not as successful as you might have hoped, was targeting $500.

How ballsy would you have to be to adopt the exact strategy the landed you in second place again?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Here's another thought experiment: You're the CEO of Xbox. You're about to decide whether you are targeting $400 or $500. At the moment, you're lagging well behind your competitor. Your previous base console, not as successful as you might have hoped, was targeting $500.

How ballsy would you have to be to adopt the exact strategy the landed you in second place again?

Which is why Lockhart will sell at 299 dollars.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When you have another option at $299, not very?

Status
Not open for further replies.