• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question: Do you think the PS5 SOC will be larger than any of the current gen consoles (largest being XB1 vanilla at 363mm^2)? If yes, do you think it will be larger than the XSX?

Personally I think it'll be between 315-350 mm^2 (pure speculation). I'm not sure if 36 CUs and/or ~2.0 GHZ are the right numbers, but I do think we'll see less CUs than the XSX, as well as likely higher clocks. I think there is credence with the various info on Ariel/Oberon, etc. I also think with Mark Cerny leading development again, he'll have similar goals as he did on the PS4 and Pro - hitting the perfect sweet spot of performance and price. Which is why I think we'll see a PS5 die size in the range of the current Playstation dies.
the die size alone doesnt give us the entire picture though. If Cerny is trying to hit the perfect sweet spot of performance and price like he did with the pro and ps4, we might see a 350mm2 chip clocked really really low. 350mm2 (base ps4 die size) can get you 50+ cus but if they have to be clocked so low a simple fan can cool it then we are looking at a 1.0 ghz clockspeed.

50-52 active is probably the most the can put in a 350mm2 chip. at around 1.0 ghz, you get 6.6 tflops. at 1.4 ghz which is already pushing the gpu over 100w you will be looking at a 9.3 tflops gpu which will require some additional investment in cooling which will mess with his price range. (if it is $399)

basically, if they go with 316 or 350mm2 they will have to invest in better cooling and that will mess with their BOM if they are aiming for the ps4 and pro price range. i think they know this and figured they will blow past the $399 price tag anyway and decided to compete with MS on the specs while going all out themselves on ssd, ram and other luxury tech like 3d audio.

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
Lamfo Man Y'all underestimate the PlayStation brand power if think sony can't afford 499$ or the ps5 will have a hard time to sell at that price.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought people would learn from Benji S. If you post what you claim to be "insider info", whether real or not, and keep making vague cryptic teases with no finite data, claim to have spec sheets or whatever to keep yourself on the perch, then ultimately it is bound to backfire eventually. No matter the outcome. It's just the way things work, right or wrong. You stick your head above the gaming forum parapet and you become vulnerable. Not victim blaming, not saying it's right, just reality.

In the end, these threads will be looked back in with extreme embarrassment.

Both consoles will be great, both will have amazing looking games, both will have fantastic content. And for Xbox fans the power is almost irrelevant because if it's important to you, then you can build a fucking mega PC to play the first party line up on regardless.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Like many other insiders that said Lockhart was put on hold....what is your point?

Series X can end up being more powerful, even Klee said Matt could be right about that, but AT THAT POINT IN TIME, it wasnt, and it won't be 9TF vs 12TF RDNA like most people expect.

I'm positive now that the Series X won't be 12TF but closer to 11TF (Double the performance, not double the TF), and that the PS5 will be much closer to 11TF than to 9TF.

Who will be exposed then?

Klee's info can end up being accurate partially or totally, but to call him a "fake insider" just because people don't like he said the PS5 was "slightly" above anaconda last June is pretty pathetic on the part of those that are doing it, and tells you more about those people than about Klee
This attempt to spin criticisms of Klee into being about console wars is hilarious.

Who will be exposed if the PS5 and Series X are closer to being equal? I guess the people that claimed they know otherwise?

Klee was saying the PS5 would be more powerful much more recently than June, but this is not about people not liking that Klee said the PS5 was more powerful than the X. That would be my preference. I've bought the vast majority of my games this generation on the PS4, and I'd be happy to continue doing that in the next gen. But I love gaming tech, so I will own all the consoles as I always do, and I'll buy the multiplats on the system that runs them better.

IRECLAIMER117

Banned
May 4, 2019
I can do that too

PS5 will be 12.6TF and $449
XSX will be 12TF and $449

The 0.6 TF difference will be the hottest topic until the launches.
Then completely ignored after the first DF faceoff when it shown that it makes no difference at all.
DF will start focusing on Switch vs PS5/XSX and PC vs PS5/XSX instead.

*puts away crystal ball*
I can never understand these things people just want the PS5 to be more powerful than Series X even though nothing official thar is out there supports this. The series x chip is pretty much the first evidence that what was rumored about it being behind and all that bullshit and not powerful is BS! Honestly if you're a PlayStation only gamer with all the great studios Sony has will it kill your enjoyment of the excellent games they will make for PS5 if series X is more powerful? While your playing God of war 2 goty contender in the future will you be sitting there saying fuck I can't enjoy this because a console I don't care about is more powerful?

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
I can never understand these things people just want the PS5 to be more powerful than Series X even though nothing official thar is out there supports this. The series x chip is pretty much the first evidence that what was rumored about it being behind and all that bullshit and not powerful is BS! Honestly if you're a PlayStation only gamer with all the great studios Sony has will it kill your enjoyment of the excellent games they will make for PS5 if series X is more powerful? While your playing God of war 2 goty contender in the future will you be sitting there saying fuck I can't enjoy this because a console I don't care about is more powerful?
Multiple insiders have said that the ps5 slightly edges out the xbox series x. I haven't seen anything official that supports that ps5 will be stronger but there isn't afaik anything that supports it being weaker either.

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
User banned (1 week): Platform warring, recently warned for same behaviour.
I can never understand why you refuse to believe that the ps5 might be more powerful. at the end of the day we all know who's number 1 :)

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
But... nothing official out there DOESN'T support it either. We don't have anything resembling confirmation either way. So some people choose to predict based on what insiders they trust have said. It's not that strange.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Who claimed that the then named Anaconda wouldn't be powerful?

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
I thought people would learn from Benji S. If you post what you claim to be "insider info", whether real or not, and keep making vague cryptic teases with no finite data, claim to have spec sheets or whatever to keep yourself on the perch, then ultimately it is bound to backfire eventually. No matter the outcome. It's just the way things work, right or wrong. You stick your head above the gaming forum parapet and you become vulnerable. Not victim blaming, not saying it's right, just reality.

Both consoles will be great, both will have amazing looking games, both will have fantastic content. And for Xbox fans the power is almost irrelevant because if it's important to you, then you can build a fucking mega PC to play the first party line up on regardless.

Bingo

Oct 25, 2017
That question is impossible to answer unless you're ITK. So many factors depend on how big the SoC is, the obvious one being the price. There is still discussion on where the launch price would be. $499/$399 would both have an impact on it.

As far as clocks and CUs are concerned, I don't see the retail product being clocked at 2.0GHz. No matter how many CUs there are on the die. We just don't know what Sonys' target performance is. ~1600MHz is the sweet spot for performance/efficiency with NAVI, so you scale the number of CUs depending upon their target performance, be it ~8-10TF, or 10-12. Best wait for official word from Sony.

Few months back he suggested one plastic box maybe slightly stronger than the other. Since then fanboys have been enraged and never backed down to stick in a dig or two. He just reached his breaking point, it happens. He won't be the first, nor the last in these kind of threads.

Ah, that's too bad. Hopefully he comes back after PSM. Always seemed like a really positive guy that went out of his way to state any power difference would be a non-issue.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019

This right here 👍

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
lol take it easy, check my post history, I'm 100% into XSX, jumping in day 1. I just don't think it'll be more powerful than PS5. And that's okay. It's just toys. :)

But no doubt, I'll get the PS5 as well eventually, because of the 1st party games, but with Gamepass prepaid until 2022 and likely multiple launch games there day 1 I'm going Xbox first this time even if PS5 is 20TF.

Dec 10, 2019
This prediction simply doesn't fit what we've been hearing from numerous reliable insiders. The consoles are going to be way closer than that.
? It fits the only reliable information we currently have for both consoles.
The Ps5 GPU codenames and respective stats. What Microsoft communicated in Series X being 2x Xbox One X, or over 8x Xbox One and the SOC reveal of a massive 390-410mm² die with the PC formfactor that is a first time in console history.

No "insider" said anything substantial about Ps5
No numbers. Not how much more powerful Ps5 is compared to Ps4 or Ps4 Pro. No information about the console design philosophy to achieve that.
Only mumblings and rumors.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish you every amount of success.

Don't give up and don't allow ANYONE to let you feel any less of a person because of the color of your skin.

Godspeed.

Couldn't say Goodbye for now until now.

Fare thee well Klee! Just looking forward to you coming back when we know all the specs you can freely discuss with us without having to hold back or anyone doubting you anymore.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

That's not true, though. If Klee would have provided exactly the same quantity of info (which was a lot), but just changed the "slightly above" remark to just say "too close to call" things would have been very different. Everyone would've remained as excited as they were during the first weeks.

So it depends

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
? It fits the only reliable information we currently have for both consoles.
The Ps5 GPU codenames and respective stats. What Microsoft communicated in Series X being 2x Xbox One X, or over 8x Xbox One and the SOC reveal of a massive 390-410mm² die with the PC formfactor that is a first time in console history.

No "insider" said anything substantial about Ps5
No numbers. Not how much more powerful Ps5 is compared to Ps4 or Ps4 Pro. No information about the console design philosophy to achieve that.
Only mumblings and rumors.
Klee said both consoles were 10+

The PS5 is one of "both consoles."

That is something substantial. And I'm not sure how you can claim the github leak is "the only reliable information" when Matt posted that he was relieved that we'd moved on from thinking it was any kind of confirmation of anything, and Klee said the specs didn't match up with what he knew.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, Schreier and some well-connected journos with MS reported that Lockhart has been nixed back at E3. There is still no official word from MS on Lockhart, mind you. So who knows what they are up to.
yep. MS's own insiders like Brad Sams, Tom Warren, Windows central all reported that lockhart was cancelled. Then six months later, they said it was revived. So why are we only going after klee for getting that wrong? and he didnt even get it wrong considering it was revived.

DF at e3 reported that the devs either hated the lockhart or hated the idea of it. then we got reports that it was canned. the devkit rumors suggested that ms had only shipped the anaconda specs to devs. lockhart was simply forgotten because it was never its own devkit and ms seemed to have cancelled it after its poor reception. then six months later, they reapproach the devs with the same idea and thats when everyone leaked it again.

whats nuts is that klee is saying what some MS insiders were saying going back to March. I still remember brad sams saying that MS was going to focus on having anaconda match Sony on specs. it seems even back then he was being fed info that the ps5 was much more powerful than anyone imagined and ms was simply trying to match sony at that point with their premium sku.

i bring this up every now and then and yet because it doesnt fit the narrative, no one picks it up.

Jan 5, 2020
[QUOTE = "AegonSnake, post: 28058539, membro: 5295"]
la dimensione del dado da sola non ci fornisce l'intera immagine. Se Cerny sta cercando di raggiungere il punto perfetto perfetto di prestazioni e prezzo come ha fatto con il pro e la ps4, potremmo vedere un chip da 350 mm2 con un clock davvero molto basso. 350mm2 (dimensione della matrice ps4 di base) possono farti avere più di 50 cus ma se devono avere un clock così basso che una semplice ventola può raffreddarlo, stiamo osservando una velocità di clock di 1,0 ghz.

50-52 active è probabilmente il massimo che può essere inserito in un chip da 350mm2. a circa 1,0 ghz, si ottengono 6,6 tflop. a 1,4 ghz, che sta già spingendo la GPU oltre i 100w, vedrai una GPU da 9.3 tflops che richiederà qualche investimento aggiuntivo nel raffreddamento che rovinerà la sua fascia di prezzo. (se è $ 399)

fondamentalmente, se vanno con 316 o 350mm2, dovranno investire in un migliore raffreddamento e questo guasterà con la loro distinta base se mirano alla gamma di prezzi ps4 e pro. penso che lo sappiano e abbiano pensato che supereranno comunque il prezzo di $ 399 e hanno deciso di competere con MS sulle specifiche mentre si spacciano su ssd, ram e altre tecnologie di lusso come l'audio 3d.
[/CITAZIONE]
ma che cazzo stai dicendo sei un fumato

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm extremely curious how some of you interact with people on a day to day.

The amount of over thinking, lack of critical thinking, and self induced anxiety some of y'all create for yourselves. No wonder ya'll got issues.

People skills are certainly lacking over here. Y'all making this forum such a drag sometimes.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's been about that, dude. This thread is not only about you, you know?

You did not post here until recently, while this has been going on since the "slightly" remark, long ago

yep
This has been going on since E3 when we first got that tweet from Reiner.
He don't post here so he did not have deal crap Klee deal with but it happen to him on twitter .

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Not all Xbox fans can build a "fucking mega" PC though. Or maybe that's just me. I'd rather have the console as a personal preference.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Yup.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
User warned: console warring

That is something I don't understand. If console games are so obsessed with power why don't build a PC? Specially Xbox fans.

With 9,10,11 or 12 tflops theses consoles will not be capable of 4k/60 fps high/ultra settings.

So if it is power you care about console is not your place.

I play my switch everyday and have fun. If ps5 has 9 tf it is fine even if diff is 2 tfs I'm sure nd and Santa Monica games will be on par or better than anything on XsX.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Of course it's been about that, dude. This thread is not only about you, you know?

You did not post here until recently, while this has been going on since the "slightly" remark, long ago
You said that while replying to me. So it's obvious why I would think your comment was directed at me.

That's not true, though. If Klee would have provided exactly the same quantity of info (which was a lot), but just changed the "slightly above" remark to just say "too close to call" things would have been very different. Everyone would've remained as excited as they were during the first weeks.

So it depends
You missed the point of that post. People who step up and take the mantle of "insiders" tend to get carried away, and they keep talking and basking in the attention. Then eventually they begin saying things they really don't know to be true, and they get caught. It's happened many times before. There is a reason we don't have many long time insiders. They tend to burn out because they get carried away and eventually they get called out on things that just don't add up.

The smart ones tend to keep things vague enough that it's hard for them to get caught. There is always wiggle room. ;)

In closing, be suspicious of any insider who seems to like the attention. The more they post the more suspicious I become. The people who really know things don't tend to be loud about it. The most credible people are the ones who just occasionally drop a little something, and they're rarely wrong.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Never will understand why a person request a BAN..
There always the more reasonable option of not post, or not read the forum..

Probably don't want to deal with the private messages and questions.

Additionally imo it says more about the state of the thread/forum that a member people are fond of is willing to take it there.

Kinda sad state of affairs all around.

Can't wait for legit news.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
For all the people in the PS5 10TF+ camp I propose the following thought experiment.

You're the CEO of Playstation. You're about to decide whether you are targeting 400$ pricepoint or 500$ pricepoint. At the moment, you are a market leader with a giant 2x advantage over your immediate competitor. Your last two devices, both very successful and reasons you are a market leader, were targetting 400$. Playstation ecosystem, dependent on the number of sold units, is a giant source of revenue. If you screw up generation leap, your company will be hurt and you will likely be fired.

How ballsy would you have to be to drop a working strategy and try something new, just because your competition might target bigger pricepoint(and can still try to up you if they really, really care)?

Corporate leaders are rarely of the ballsy kind. They do not play with things that work. And that's why I think they will stick to price, with all the consequences of that.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm extremely curious how some of you interact with people on a day to day.

The amount of over thinking, lack of critical thinking, and self induced anxiety some of y'all create for yourselves. No wonder ya'll got issues.

People skills are certainly lacking over here. Y'all making this forum such a drag sometimes.

Thank you, I needed someone to describe what I am

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I thought people would learn from Benji S. If you post what you claim to be "insider info", whether real or not, and keep making vague cryptic teases with no finite data, claim to have spec sheets or whatever to keep yourself on the perch, then ultimately it is bound to backfire eventually. No matter the outcome. It's just the way things work, right or wrong. You stick your head above the gaming forum parapet and you become vulnerable

yep. A good friend of mine was heavily involved with a certain middleware supplier that had a custom demo for the original PS4 reveal (which he made), so through him I was aware of many PS4 "details", and the state of various projects. The only thing I kinda shared about that was that Deep Down was killed quite early on and that was already too much attention. Having info sounds like fun, but to be honest, it's really not worth it unless you crave the attention.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You said that while replying to me. So it's obvious why I would think your comment was directed at me.

You missed the point of that post. People who step up and take the mantle of "insiders" tend to get carried away, and they keep talking and basking in the attention. Then eventually they begin saying things they really don't know to be true, and they get caught. It's happened many times before. There is a reason we don't have many long time insiders. They tend to burn out because they get carried away and eventually they get called out on things that just don't add up.

The smart ones tend to keep things vague enough that it's hard for them to get caught. There is always wiggle room. ;)

In closing, be suspicious of any insider who seems to like the attention. The more they post the more suspicious I become. The people who really know things don't tend to be loud about it. The most credible people are the ones who just occasionally drop a little something, and they're rarely wrong.

I firmly believe the ones who say the least know the most

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is something I don't understand. If console games are so obsessed with power why don't build a PC? Specially Xbox fans.

With 9,10,11 or 12 tflops theses consoles will not be capable of 4k/60 fps high/ultra settings.

I play my switch everyday and have fun. If ps5 has 9 tf it is fine even if diff is 2 tfs I'm sure nd and Santa Monica games will be on par or better than anything on XsX.

Of course. I wouldn't expect anything different from you :)

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So much passive aggressive sniping of each other - can we all take a step back please? At the end of the day we are (or should be) speculating about luxury silicon.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

People can care about power and not want to PC game; how is that hard to understand?

People can care about having a fast car and not want to tune an engine too. PC gaming is awesome, but it's not the same experience as consoles and since cross-play is far form a standard generally has an entirely different base of users. AKA a lot of people's friends aren't on PC.

Not to mention that getting anywhere near competitive pricing on PC compared to console requires building one from scratch or buying from low-margin build places not exactly known for their quality customer service.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I dont agree with TF numbers here for PS5 but i absolutely believe Sony will get every last drop of power out of a 399.99 machine. It just doesn't make any sense to me they go higher

That"s the one and only reason I'm still not completely sold on a 12TF+ PS5. Because it doesn't seem possible for a console matching what we know about XSX (or more powerful, that's not my point here) for only 400$.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
For all the people in the PS5 10TF+ camp I propose the following thought experiment.

You're the CEO of Playstation. You're about to decide whether you are targeting 400$ pricepoint or 500$ pricepoint. At the moment, you are a market leader with a giant 2x advantage over your immediate competitor. Your last two devices, both very successful and reasons you are a market leader, were targetting 400$. Playstation ecosystem, dependent on the number of sold units, is a giant source of revenue. If you screw up generation leap, your company will be hurt and you will likely be fired.

How ballsy would you have to be to drop a working strategy and try something new, just because your competition might target bigger pricepoint(and can still try to up you if they really, really care)?

Corporate leaders are rarely of the ballsy kind. They do not play with things that work. And that's why I think they will stick to price, with all the consequences of that.

Your post ignores the fact that most of their revenue comes from subscriptions etc and not the hardware sales.

If you want to sell alot of units so you can get more people to subscribe to your services then you need to make your package as attractive as possible. Price helps to make your package more attractive but that's not the only important factor.

They could very well choose to have high specs and take a loss on each unit so they can still sell at the pricepoint that did so well for them.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019

I understand what you're saying but for me the reason I think you're not factoring in is inflation. The value of $400 is not what it once was and I think consumers are more willing to spend $100 more on a console than they were last generation. That also doesn't factor in their clear focus on providing BC which will lock many people into that ecosystem.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Man I only participated in this thread because of Klee. Even if his leaks would be all shit (which you will see in the end will be definitely true and break some fanboys hearts), he seemed like a cool guy to hang out with and really congenial

Klee if you read this: I and most other here believed you and respect you for your inputs and leaks (since these are also a dangerous business for sources) and you are definitely one of Eras Legends here;)

So again thanks for making this series of threads interesting 😊😊

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Lol no dude, I didn't "miss the point". I didn't share it, so that's why I rebutted it.

You should do that with my point, instead of re-explaining the original one to me. It's how this usually works

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

The reason they market leader is not only because they were $400 .
Also it has been said that the first year buyers spend over twice the amount of people that buy the system later on .
They also care about power and are worth twice as much money as late buyers
As a CEO you job is to make the most money as possible and not just try just to sell the most systems.
PS has been successful over many differnt price points to think $400 is end all is not looking at everything .

EDIT if Sony care about only selling systems they would drop the PS4 price by now .
There is line you walk when it comes to selling systems and profit .

Feb 26, 2018
Bye Klee it was fun. I'm really interesting if his info legit or what

Anyway
Judging by all that fuzz simple PS5 logo generated I think 400$ is the way to go for Sony. So I can believe that 36CU story

Status
Not open for further replies.