• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This theory has never made any sense because it isn't how target specs work. Developers aren't running numbers on what is in the devkits

Here is an example of target specs. This was leaked in April 2004, over a year before the 360 was even announced and was certainly available to developers a few months before that

zLAJhkO.gif

More details in narrative form leaked a short time later: https://web.archive.org/web/20040705082242/http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=231928

Sure, the clock speed changed the RAM amount but beyond that everything was well known and communicated to developers

Something like a fantasy gcn->navi FLOPS conversion would make more sense in a document like the one below explaining dev kit differences, not target specs. Note: the new dev kits described within (with a wildly different architecture) weren't delivered until like August or September 2005 (and the clockspeed changed again). The console launched in November 2005

(many people here will probably remember this as it circulated widely ahead of 360 announcement)

They were working on completely different hardware but it doesnt change that everyone knew the 360 specs

You can see the same with the Orbis/Durango leaks, though the timeline was a little later with those. The target specs were very detailed and only clocks and ram ever changed

"Insiders" are being vague only because they want/need to be, or they haven't really seen the target specs and have 2nd hand info. There isn't a scenario where someone has the target specs and is confused because the devkits are old (other than minor changes)
People who think they know anything about spec sheets and timelines should really pay more attention to this post.

edit: and if I were a bettin' man I'd say Kleegamefan has some shit like this.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone steps up to the plate and claims to have insider information the onus is on them from that moment forward. No one made someone become an insider, they chose to take on that label because they wanted to tell us stuff supposedly no one else knows. When the "insider" things they claimed turn out to be not true, well, this is the outcome.

I have a friend who works for a pretty big development studio. He occasionally tells me things that no one in the public knows, but you won't see me here talking about it. If you decide to play that game, and you like the attention and start getting carried away with the things you claim, well, it tends to not end well.
I trust Klee but I am curious how these specs could be tracked to him when thousands of people probably already have them. I don't care if he reveals them, I'm just curious.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Framerate is more impacted by CPU than GPU though isn't it
Of course not. It's getting tiresome to read this again and again.

CPU may impact framerate when a game is CPU limited which is a rather rare case even on current gen systems.

On next gen systems, with their 8C/16T Zen2 CPUs and 4K output targets, with real time RT and stuff, most games will be solely GPU limited.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Let me rephrase, I'm on the fence between a "Series X" later in the year or a new PC when the 3000 series drops from Nvidia.
Tough call, but I am not sure knowing specs on either of them is going to be as important as other factors. For example, if it was me making that decision it would depend more on what I currently have and how important things like high refresh rate, 4k, and HDR are to me. After I determined what was important to me it would depend on how much money it would cost to get me there.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll give u that but why not just give the specs to a mod and let the mod leak em or something. I am assuming mods have a good way to verify ppl that won't get traced.
Because the info might give away the source's identity.

For example, we know both MS and Sony are increasing clocks at the moment. they are in the middle of testing where the clocks actually might get downgraded.

So what if klee's source has the exact number. Say, 12.56 tflops. Klee or Matt post it on their behalf and Boom, now Sony knows which version of the devkit or spec got leaked. What if Sony gave slightly different specs to all developers. this happens all the time. one team gets 12.64 tflops, one gets 12.56. whoever leaks the correct amount is the one that gets in trouble.

Klee has already given us info on where the PS5 is. He said he expected the xbox to be 12 tflops and that he is standing by what he said about the ps5 being slightly more powerful. what more can he say at this point without giving away his source?

What if the PS5 is using HBM but only a few devs have it. most devs didnt know about the 8gb of vram until the reveal. what if they are still on gddr6 and only the first party devs have hbm. if klee reveals HBM with a specific bandwidth number, his source is fucked.

same goes for ssd speeds. what if sony sent slightly different ssd speeds to everyone. one got 5.1 gbps. the other 5.2. you simply dont know what game they are playing.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
I mean I thought he wasn't sharing specs because he would get banned for not being verified or something but at this point tell why else wouldn't he be able to share them if he actually had them? The specs cannot be traced back to 1 person that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...
Depends. Depending on what dev kits are at what developers at what point, it could be possible to pinpoint who was divulging some information.

I get where he is coming from - it's not worth lost friendships or someone's career.

In the end, it won't matter as we will all find out the information eventually. We are not entitled to everything now, we can be patient.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

For example, we know both MS and Sony are increasing clocks at the moment. they are in the middle of testing where the clocks actually might get downgraded.

So what if klee's source has the exact number. Say, 12.56 tflops. Klee or Matt post it on their behalf and Boom, now Sony knows which version of the devkit or spec got leaked. What if Sony gave slightly different specs to all developers. this happens all the time. one team gets 12.64 tflops, one gets 12.56. whoever leaks the correct amount is the one that gets in trouble.

Klee has already given us info on where the PS5 is. He said he expected the xbox to be 12 tflops and that he is standing by what he said about the ps5 being slightly more powerful. what more can he say at this point without giving away his source?

What if the PS5 is using HBM but only a few devs have it. most devs didnt know about the 8gb of vram until the reveal. what if they are still on gddr6 and only the first party devs have hbm. if klee reveals HBM with a specific bandwidth number, his source is fucked.

same goes for ssd speeds. what if sony sent slightly different ssd speeds to everyone. one got 5.1 gbps. the other 5.2. you simply dont know what game they are playing.
Thanks for explaining this for those who don't know, unfortunately I don't think they will read it or if they do they'll just choose to handwave it away.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone steps up to the plate and claims to have insider information the onus is on them from that moment forward. No one made someone become an insider, they chose to take on that label because they wanted to tell us stuff supposedly no one else knows. When the "insider" things they claimed turn out to be not true, well, this is the outcome.

So far nothing has turned out to prove Klee is wrong though.

The github leak most feel is not accurate of the final specs of PS5, until we have official word neither Klee nor the other insiders claiming that the consoles are very, very close in power are invalidated.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Good luck Klee.

One question though, the open world game you saw. Will we be able to know it when it gets announced? Are you allowed to tell us? And how are we gonna know if you are banned?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

Easy. just say less than greater than 9 10 11 or 12

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Depending on what dev kits are at what developers are what point, it could be possible to pinpoint who was divulging some information.

I get where he is coming from - it's not worth lost friendships or someone's career.

In the end, it won't matter as we will all find out the information eventually. We are not entitled to everything now, we can be patient.

Agree. If I were an insider I'd error on the side of being conservative with information sharing.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The github leak most feel is not accurate of the final specs of PS5, until we have official word neither Klee nor the other insiders claiming that the consoles are very, very close in power are invalidated.
Has anything he had said turned out to be right? I'm not trying to be glib, I'm legitimately asking.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

Did we not just get done saying everybody already knows the specs as of like 2 years ago lol

How could you possibly track back to a single person

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I trust Klee but I am curious how these specs could be tracked to him when thousands of people probably already have them. I don't care if he reveals them, I'm just curious.
It's not hard, just be a developer. Recognize the game Klee described as the one you are working on. Remember that one of your co-workers is still friends with some guy who wrote for Gamefan, K... something. Lee?

There's been a weird feedback loop where people don't believe Klee because he doesn't reveal enough details, so he reveals more making it easier to figure out who the source is so he can't reveal more details.

It's not a matter of the general public figuring it out, it's the people close to the dev or Klee figuring it out and telling the wrong person.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

He really hasn't said anything so he can't be proven wrong.

And he was adamant on Lockhart not being a thing and it is, so....

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Antagonising another user, off-site drama

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just doesn't really add up at this point to be anything beyond these 2 basic scenarios.

• Xbox Series X approximately 12.X+TF ($499) > PS5 12.XTF ($499) - This is the one where Klee has somehow had the goods on the whole situation for both platform holders from his 3rd party developer buddy from the beginning, but I would still expect after seeing the form factor and gigantic SOC that Xbox will tweak clocks as necessary to achieve a paper raw processing crown given their messaging about power.
  • Xbox Series X approximately 12TF ($499) > PS5 9.2TF ($399) - Sony targeted a cheaper launch price and power balance because they aren't doing a 2 SKU approach at launch, and this may be their best business decision ultimately.
The second option will be an easy win for Sony. They will still win the next gen with either of these two approaches.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
BLAS alternatives research seem to be a very active field right now (likely thanks to NV actively pumping R&D money into real time RT). It may well end up being true but it's not a h/w solution meaning that it will run faster on any GPU with higher general performance. So even if PS5 will use something like this while XSX will use AMD's h/w RT from RDNA2, the fact that XSX will have more FP32 flops means that it will end up being faster with such approach as well.

There's also this:

It's more about scene representation than RT but it does something similar to BLAS making modern Turing BVH h/w essentially useless as general purpose compute provide the same level of performance.

Thanks for the reading material.

—————————————

|OT10| - Klee died for our bins.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

It's already been covered on recent pages that he claimed Lockhart wasn't happening, but now it appears it definitely is happening.

Also, do you really think someone would request a ban right before their moment of vindication? We don't know definitively that the Series X is 12tf and more powerful than the PS5, but all signs appear to be pointing in that direction right now, and odds are very good we're going to get that final confirmation very soon.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is straight up misinformation. There a numerous threadmarks with all the things he said.

AFAIK he has said both will be over 10TF. We still don't know if that's true for the PS5 in particular. He said the PS5 is about 7% more powerful than the XSX. Again, we don't know that.

Anyways, he's gone now so hopefully this thread can turn to a better place.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe different specs are given to different people so if they leak they can narrow down who did it lol.
lol now you've soon written some kind of hollywood movie script

If it's important, just make things easy for yourself and assume that Sony has the most powerful hardware until it's proven otherwise. Done. ;)

Seriously though, most here will have both consoles anyway before the generation ends so I don't understand why things are getting so heated that people feel like they have to leave the place. And MS won't throw in the towel even if PS5 is 20TF now that they're committed for real, next gen will be awesome for Xbox fans either way. And Sony will still dominate even with a 6TF console and release awesome first party games. And in the end it's just toys. It's not the end of the world.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
AFAIK he has said both will be over 10TF. We still don't know if that's true for the PS5 in particular. He said the PS5 is about 7% more powerful than the XSX. Again, we don't know that.

Where are you getting the 7% from? He never gave any number as far as power differential goes afaik.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

So he did in fact say things that can be proven one way or another. Obviously we don't know the accuracy of almost anything in these threads because it's speculation and unverified leaks. Claiming anyone is or is not reliable at this point isn't meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.