• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Is there a point where this will be broken up in two threads to reduce console warfare? I'd like to get info about both consoles with a better signal to noise ratio. I'm buying a PS5 day one but want to know more about it, and on the fence between an X1X or a new PC and this thread isn't helping with either in the last 1-2 weeks.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah.

I have requested a self ban from the forum. I'm just waiting for a response from the mods

I really, really should have dipped out the night of the VGAs but it didn't quite work out that way. I have become a disruptive poster and frankly I am not really comfortable with the attention. I never have been.

I want to say thanks to all for everything.

I honestly feel you guys will be really happy with the games and consoles you get from MS/Sony.

In the end, the core tenet of our hobby *SHOULD * about enjoyment and fun.

We have lost our way once we lose that.

My main request is for you all to please, please be good to each other. We all love games but we all are from different backgrounds and as such have differing opinions on everything.

There will be a natural clash and arguments as a result, but there is no reason why we can't do it with mutual respect.

I am not sure when or if I will return. There's really no reason why I should. I have thoroughly went back over the Threadmarks and there is nothing more I am willing to add. So it's time for me to step away.

In my heart, I feel we are heading into the greatest generation of gaming yet. I just turned 51 years old and I just recently got a chance to play candy crush with my 7 month old granddaughter, bringing me great joy.

At any rate, I love you all and stay safe and be good to each other.

K. Lee
thanks for everything I really appreciate all your posts
hope you have a good time

Last edited:

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Lol I work at a software firm I know how NDAs work... I am saying some things cannot be traced back to him. How are the specs going to be traced back to 1 specific person?? plz tell me...makes no sense. The most likely and simplest explanation is that he doesn't know them.
I too work for a software company, what do you know... Doesn't mean anything. This is about risk aversion vs potential benefit; which is to say, almost no potential benefit for a very high potential negative impact (Even if the risk of getting caught is low).

If you want to not believe what he posted, great, go for it. It's irrelevant. The point is that there's every reason not to post things when there's so little reason to do so (Faux forum game).

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a point where this will be broken up in two threads to reduce console warfare? I'd like to get info about both consoles with a better signal to noise ratio. I'm buying a PS5 day one but want to know more about it, and on the fence between an X1X or a new PC and this thread isn't helping with either in the last 1-2 weeks.
This thread won't help you with that at all...100%...I would advise for you to wait until the official specs are released.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Ah, so you're just straight up calling him a liar. Awesome.

I mean I thought he wasn't sharing specs because he would get banned for not being verified or something but at this point tell why else wouldn't he be able to share them if he actually had them? The specs cannot be traced back to 1 person that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
This is purely a speculation thread and it should not be split up.

However, I fully agree that once specs are revealed, there should be 2 Official Threads to talk about the specs for each. I just don't know "how interesting" it will be for "some" not to be in a thread to argue one versus the other. That is one thing that drives so many replies here is the Xbox vs. PS people waring with each other. A dedicated thread for each once specs are released would be more civil, but after a bit wont have as much traction since there is no going back and forth about each consoles specs and what they could mean.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
Devs have target specs, those are shared early in the sharing info process. This was talked a million times by now and you guys keep talking about devkit performances/hardware.

Really? Fully detailed target specs 1.5 year before launch? In competitive industry? And those do not leak? I tend to not believe that. I believe they have a ballpark, but details that early, outside of maybe trusted 1st parties? Don't believe.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
I too work for a software company, what do you know... Doesn't mean anything. This is about risk aversion vs potential benefit; which is to say, almost no potential benefit for a very high potential negative impact (Even if the risk of getting caught is low).

If you want to not believe what he posted, great, go for it. It's irrelevant. The point is that there's every reason not to post things when there's so little reason to do so (Faux forum game).

I mean he already posted plenty that is more risky than specs like details about an upcoming game or when they would announce the specs... and second, the risk isn't low it is non-existent. How would you trace specs back to 1 person?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
If something happened to him sure, but he is just leaving the forum, he did not have some personal tragedy.
If the only time we should empathize with someone is when they have a "personal tragedy", then it would certainly explain a lot for the behavior in this thread.

If someone steps up to the plate and claims to have insider information the onus is on them from that moment forward. No one made someone become an insider, they chose to take on that label because they wanted to tell us stuff supposedly no one else knows. When the "insider" things they claimed turn out to be not true, well, this is the outcome.
You've clearly already made up your mind. Same way when someone stops responding in an argument, it means they must be wrong. What other option could there be.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
Microsoft aim to make the best console they possibly can for that higher bar console and sandwich the PS5? The two console approach makes zero sense otherwise
[/QUOTE]
So your idea is that Sony's strategy is soley based on what Microsoft does? And not of its own research and goals? Playstations next gen strategy is or should essentially be a reaction to Microsoft who has never sold more consoles that Playstation.. I would like some clarification?

To me it doesn't make sense the PS5 is allegedly more powerful.
but i'll tell you why it "might" make sense, because sony aims to also have the most powerful console and the PS5 is not a reaction to the alleged weaker xbox!

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
When we get to the end and these speculation threads are no more we should make a list of contributors who've made this ride great.

Posters like Klee, Anex, Colbert, Aegon, Chris, Dr Keo, Albert P, Dictator, Modiz, Tonky, Flutter, Drifting, iii-v, VX1, Fafalada and many, many more.

Preach! Those people you listed are pretty much the reason I spend so much time in this thread/forum.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
We have nothing but speculation at this point, so two threads would just double the console wars.

You kinda missed out on the holiday discounts on the X, so I would say go PC if you need something right now. If you can wait, keeping an eye on X1X discounts would be the best bet. Right before Christmas I picked up a X bundle for $249 (with extra controller) and an extra $50 trade in for my S. I ended up paying basically $100 (slightly less as I had a few other things to trade in) for an upgrade to an X. Complete no brainer IMO.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I mean he already posted plenty that is more risky than specs like details about an upcoming game or when they would announce the specs... and second, the risk isn't low it is non-existent. How would you trace specs back to 1 person?
Presumably because his name and industry credentials are public.

It wouldn't be hard to trace back leaked hardware info to whomever he speaks with at development studios.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I thought he wasn't sharing specs because he would get banned for not being verified or something but at this point tell why else wouldn't he be able to share them if he actually had them? The specs cannot be traced back to 1 person that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...
A new challenger approaches 😂

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really? Fully detailed target specs 1.5 year before launch? In competitive industry? And those do not leak? I tend to not believe that. I believe they have a ballpark, but details that early, outside of maybe trusted 1st parties? Don't believe.

We'll I have bookmarks for something:

As has been said, information is shared before kits are released, and kits are updated several times before they are finalized.

The targets for these systems are shared early, because developers need to know what to aim for.

I feel like a lot a people in these threads are reading radically different things from "sources" who are generally all saying the same things.
Devs have a pretty good idea where things are going to land.
Honestly, everybody pretty much knows what the specs will be. It doesn't really matter if you have a devkit or not.

Trust whatever you want.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Klee, since you are leaving for good, be sure to send the specs to Matt and have them post them on your behalf after the ps5 reveal. if not the whole thing, just stuff rounded off to protect your source.

Also, say you had to sleep with someone called Team 14 tflops but then someone hotter comes in at 9 tflops, literally hotter. who would you trust enough to jump into bed with?

Note: Team 14 tflops might have a HBM so your experience will be enhanced. so to speak.

D BATCH

Nov 15, 2017
Framerate is more impacted by CPU than GPU though isn't it

DirectX APIs are just tools. Sony should have decent software too - it has a good rep for tools with PS4 and that should continue

If xsx has better RT or VRS it'll be because it has better hardware in those areas

if Sony have no VRS (or poor VRS) that would be a real shame as it's be really helpful to get more performance out of limited hardware, and would be very helpful for VR
Tools that devs are more used to. Tools that MS will leverage their HW for(metal). VRS that MS is using is netting huge performance improvements. DXR Nvidia uses and AMD and Intel will use. This is an advantage for MS. Not saying Sony Ray tracing will suck just that MS as a Software company has an advantage in this area imo.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone had reported Lockhart was scrapped at that time, including the person who broke news it was back on again.

What's super clear is that MS still has not announced it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
We have nothing but speculation at this point, so two threads would just double the console wars.

You kinda missed out on the holiday discounts on the X, so I would say go PC if you need something right now. If you can wait, keeping an eye on X1X discounts would be the best bet. Right before Christmas I picked up a X bundle for $249 (with extra controller) and an extra $50 trade in for my S. I ended up paying basically $100 (slightly less as I had a few other things to trade in) for an upgrade to an X. Complete no brainer IMO.

Let me rephrase, I'm on the fence between a "Series X" later in the year or a new PC when the 3000 series drops from Nvidia.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Presumably because his name and industry credentials are public.

It wouldn't be hard to trace back leaked hardware info to whomever he speaks with at development studios.

He has already leaked stuff tho related to specs and announcement dates/etc. If that was a worry why leak that stuff earlier then? It puts him in a similar position.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
LOL wow now you're just making shit up. What has be been proven wrong on? All he's done is refuse to give any more info and say we have to wait for full reveals. You really should just stop.
Yes, I'm just making shit up, like the fact that the Lockhart console was dead. Oh wait, that wasn't me.

At least you finally let your true colors show, thanks.
If by true colors you mean that I'm a rational person who doesn't instantly believe every single thing someone tells me, yes.

Everyone had reported Lockhart was scrapped at that time, including the person who broke news it was back on again.

What's super clear is that MS still has not announced it.
They may not have announced it yet, but we all know the "Series" part of the new naming scheme suggests it's happening.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Sometimes leakers get caught. IP addresses, linked email accounts, conversations in places people assumed wouldn't be subject to discovery; there are many examples of large tech companies going after leakers and suspected leakers. There's never zero risk, and even if repercussions aren't legally enforceable, if someone ends up with the sense of "not trustworthy" around them, it can have a negative impact on their connections in the field.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a nice middleware to add to the tool chest, but it's not the main method of acceleration.

Given this guy's previous two ventures got acquired, I'd say this one would have been gobbled up too if it was truly revolutionary.
BLAS alternatives research seem to be a very active field right now (likely thanks to NV actively pumping R&D money into real time RT). It may well end up being true but it's not a h/w solution meaning that it will run faster on any GPU with higher general performance. So even if PS5 will use something like this while XSX will use AMD's h/w RT from RDNA2, the fact that XSX will have more FP32 flops means that it will end up being faster with such approach as well.

There's also this:

It's more about scene representation than RT but it does something similar to BLAS making modern Turing BVH h/w essentially useless as general purpose compute provide the same level of performance.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
We'll I have bookmarks for something:

Trust whatever you want.

All that Matt written says nothing against MS saying ~10TF and Sony saying ~9TF. I see absolutely no problem for devs in scenario like that. If expressed in GCN performance(which at the time would make sense), both would be 10TF+. And it would even make sense for MS not to commit too much not even out of secrecy, but because they may have worried about yields of big chip and what frequency they can get to.

Nov 11, 2017
A couple of things people keep repeating:

1. Oberon at 2GHz would have bad yields and run very hot.

Yeah, it would. But it would be a good configuration for a devkit(and those devkits look like it's probable). It would be slightly more powerful, which is common. But if PS5 run at 1800-1850, it would be 8,28-8,51 TF. And given 1.25 RDNA to GCN performance ratio, it would hit 10.35-10.63 GCN TF, right around Stadia target.

2. Oberon leaks do not mention hardware raytracing.

For me this is the strongest argument against the leak, but it is probably just missing information/too early in the process. PS5 will have hardware-based RT, it has been confirmed multiple times officially. I think that expecting customized chips is silly, they will run with whatever AMD has, exactly as MS.

3. PS at 9.2TF(not even mention 8.5) would be too weak.

This is crazy. Even 8.5 is twice PS4 Pro in raw flops and probably more like 2.5 in performance and that's before you even include CPU and SSD. We're talking here around 5 original PS4 in raw flops and even more in performance. X360 had around 240MF to Xbox 1 1.3TF after clock increase. Precisely the same distance.

4. Insiders/devs say they're the same.

Devs often don't see all the picture(PS4 RAM story) and early devkits do not necessarily represent final hardware. People don't have to lie - they might just be wrong. We will soon know for sure, but at the moment I see how MS is communicating and I don't think they would do it that way if they weren't really comfortable when it comes to power. Sony mentions a lot of innovations in materials(audio, SSD, haptics etc.), which suggests they want to position as holistic, balanced device, which would fit the PS4 narrative. That would also suggest they are repeating the strategy that worked(and PS4 was quite similar in terms of power to what 8.5TF PS5 would be). The only difference is that now competition will not have weaker and more expensive device and I do not predicts any weird policies warranting backlash.
Great post

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Klee, since you are leaving for good, be sure to send the specs to Matt and have them post them on your behalf after the ps5 reveal. if not the whole thing, just stuff rounded off to protect your source.

Also, say you had to sleep with someone called Team 14 tflops but then someone hotter comes in at 9 tflops, literally hotter. who would you trust enough to jump into bed with?

Note: Team 14 tflops might have a HBM so your experience will be enhanced. so to speak.

I'm sure he has them already but that's not a bad idea

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Because K. Lee is kind of a public figure in the gaming community; so if a developer is friends with him that might be a known thing. It's one thing to do hinty stuff, probably nobody would investigate. But if actual specs were leaked someone might investigate.

Just not worth it. Leaking stuff like that can literally be considered a crime; and while it's not often prosecuted because of the criminal nature it's a slam dunk in civil court.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is purely a speculation thread and it should not be split up.

However, I fully agree that once specs are revealed, there should be 2 Official Threads to talk about the specs for each. I just don't know "how interesting" it will be for "some" not to be in a thread to argue one versus the other. That is one thing that drives so many replies here is the Xbox vs. PS people waring with each other. A dedicated thread for each once specs are released would be more civil, but after a bit wont have as much traction since there is no going back and forth about each consoles specs and what they could mean.
Yeah...loook at the Series X thread(s) right now on this forum.....

Doesn't matter IMO. When they were both split alot more activity was going on in the next gen Sony thread anyway. I have a theory about why they were merged but it's whatever.

Because it shouldn't be about arguing. It should be about being excited for whatever console(s) you get.

Some ppl don't know how to have a civil debate, argument. In all walks of life, not just here.

One would think that with the Series X threads...this one wouldn't be so volatile....

But here we are.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
He has already leaked stuff tho related to specs and announcement dates/etc. If that was a worry why leak that stuff earlier then? It puts him in a similar position.
Considering that no one under the sun has leaked any hard specs (CPU speeds, RAM configurations, SSD speeds, TF, and etc.) for these consoles, clearly there are lines that devs and folks like Klee are unable to cross.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't say that the design is "bad"
That doesn't seem logical but you could just omit that part... Not that complicated.

Lol I work at a software firm I know how NDAs work... I am saying some things cannot be traced back to him. How are the specs going to be traced back to 1 specific person?? plz tell me...makes no sense. The most likely and simplest explanation is that he doesn't know them.
I trust Klee but I would like to know this answer as well. How would specs get traced back to him when there's thousands of people that have them? I don't care if he shares them or not, just curious.

my bad. I don't know what hat I did with this post....

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Considering that no one under the sun has leaked any hard specs (CPU speeds, RAM configurations, SSD speeds, TF, and etc.) for these consoles, clearly there are lines that devs and folks like Klee are unable to cross.

Yeah, I'll give u that but why not just give the specs to a mod and let the mod leak em or something. I am assuming mods have a good way to verify ppl that won't get traced.

Status
Not open for further replies.