• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIEHARD

Dec 6, 2019
Naw people are talking about XSX. Get an early start on mindshare. They are showing the Silicon so they are not worried about Sony. I do agree that when PS5 is finally confirmed, people will go crazy. I think when XSX specs are revealed, people will also go mad. Next-gen IMO will be the best one yet. They both will be competing hard for our gaming dollars. Games will look and run better. PC games will look and run better. Win-win for all gamers.

Even if PS5 ends up at 9.2-10tflops, games will look amazing I don't understand why people are so worried. If XSX is more powerful, not going to stop PS exclusives from looking incredible. 1.8 gave GOW, Spiderman, UC4, HZD, so with X4 more power on the GPU, just imagine. Now factor in SSD and CPU consoles Gunna be amazing. People need to calm down 9.2-10 teraflops is amazing for a console. XSX most likely is going to cost more than PS5; you can't have an affordable price and the best tech.

$400 is a sweet spot for PS5 console IMO. Think about it, 8/16 thread CPU, *9.2-10tflop GPU, 1tb NVMe SSD, and raytracing 400 is a steal. I do expect XSX to be more powerful and have better Ray-tracing; however, it will cost more than 399 IMO. Microsofts DXR and VRS API will help the console tremendously. PS5 will also be an excellent Gaming console with speedy load times and fantastic looking exclusives. IMO both Companies will bring us great exclusives Next-Gen. I don't want to miss out on any so I will get both. Some may do the same. Some may grab $300 Lockhart others PS5 heck some will grab both Lockhart and PS5. Some may grab Ps5 and play Xbox games on PC. My point is next-gen is going to be great for all gamers with tons of options.
Finally a voice of reason.

Jun 23, 2019
There is nothing magical about some teraflops numbers. There is no way to trace back some random spec numbers. Digital Foundry has done multiple videos on this topic, with evidence for various teraflop numbers. It's not that complicated.

The only reason for not giving hard numbers is that it removes any wiggle room. You're either wrong or you're right.

This is embarrassing. Please stop.

PlayStation Meeting 2013

Announced: January 31, 2013 (https://youtu.be/d-3GMHIgR-U)
Invites sent: January 31, 2013 (https://www.wired.com/2013/01/playstation-meeting-2013/)
Date held: February 20, 2013
FY2012 Q3 Earnings Announcement: February 7, 2013.

PlayStation Meeting 2020

Announced: TBA
Invites sent: N/A (?)
Date held: TBA
FY2019 Q3 Earnings Announcement: February 4, 2020.

---

Given a potential correlation between announcement of a PlayStation Meeting and the earnings announcement, based on the 2013 would give an announcement of PlayStation Meeting 2020 on January 28, 2020. A gap of three weeks (20 days) from then would put the meeting itself on monday February 17, 2020.

There was a rumor last year of the meeting being scheduled for February 12, 2020. If the meeting is indeed scheduled for February I expect at least an announcement of it prior to the FY2019 Q3 Earnings Announcement on February 4.

Oooh! Good eye! So if Sony was planning on revealing the PS5, right after the quarterly earnings report would fall right in line with 2013. So we should be hearing about the invites fairly soon!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Why are we treating this dude like he's a 9/11 first responder or something.

No one is doing this. This is a super asinine response.

How would saying the specs harm his friend? I mean I am sure his friend is not the only one with the specs. I dunno to me it just seems like he prolly doesn't know them. I don't see how the specs can get traced back to anyone.

People really don't understand that NDAs come with very real financial and legal consequences, do they? Taking a risk like that for a forum would be downright stupid regardless of how likely you are to get caught.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
User warned: Antagonizing other members
Man here we are again, an insider comes on Era, gives info, one side can't take their console is going to be weaker than the other and go out their way to drive the dude off.

But fuck it, life is all good. Klee is gone but at least we got Colbert and BlueBalls, the real pillars of next gen threads on Era.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
A couple of things people keep repeating:

1. Oberon at 2GHz would have bad yields and run very hot.

Yeah, it would. But it would be a good configuration for a devkit(and those devkits look like it's probable). It would be slightly more powerful, which is common. But if PS5 run at 1800-1850, it would be 8,28-8,51 TF. And given 1.25 RDNA to GCN performance ratio, it would hit 10.35-10.63 GCN TF, right around Stadia target.

2. Oberon leaks do not mention hardware raytracing.

For me this is the strongest argument against the leak, but it is probably just missing information/too early in the process. PS5 will have hardware-based RT, it has been confirmed multiple times officially. I think that expecting customized chips is silly, they will run with whatever AMD has, exactly as MS.

3. PS at 9.2TF(not even mention 8.5) would be too weak.

This is crazy. Even 8.5 is twice PS4 Pro in raw flops and probably more like 2.5 in performance and that's before you even include CPU and SSD. We're talking here around 5 original PS4 in raw flops and even more in performance. X360 had around 240MF to Xbox 1 1.3TF after clock increase. Precisely the same distance.

4. Insiders/devs say they're the same.

Devs often don't see all the picture(PS4 RAM story) and early devkits do not necessarily represent final hardware. People don't have to lie - they might just be wrong. We will soon know for sure, but at the moment I see how MS is communicating and I don't think they would do it that way if they weren't really comfortable when it comes to power. Sony mentions a lot of innovations in materials(audio, SSD, haptics etc.), which suggests they want to position as holistic, balanced device, which would fit the PS4 narrative. That would also suggest they are repeating the strategy that worked(and PS4 was quite similar in terms of power to what 8.5TF PS5 would be). The only difference is that now competition will not have weaker and more expensive device and I do not predicts any weird policies warranting backlash.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
And people wonder why we keep losing insiders. No matter how much they say it's never enough, and random posters think they know as much as industry insiders.
No insider has ever been "lost" because they were too accurate with the things they share. They only go away when they've gone too far in making claims about things they didn't know to be true, and it ended up backfiring on them. That's when they leave.

If someone were truly confident in their sources they would be sticking around for their moment of vindication when the final specs are confirmed. If they were not confident they'd get out sooner rather than later, because the moment everything is 100% confirmed the house of cards comes collapsing down around them, and no one wants to stick around for that moment. That's the moment when people begin quoting old posts, and pointing out you were wrong about this, this, this, and this.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Why are we treating this dude like he's a 9/11 first responder or something.

Someone who has provided us much joy and given us information when he didn't need to is choosing the self ban option and won't be part of the community until he chooses to return, if at all. Not unreasonable to want to say goodbye to such a person.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah.

I have requested a self ban from the forum. I'm just waiting for a response from the mods

I really, really should have dipped out the night of the VGAs but it didn't quite work out that way. I have become a disruptive poster and frankly I am not really comfortable with the attention. I never have been.

I want to say thanks to all for everything.

I honestly feel you guys will be really happy with the games and consoles you get from MS/Sony.

In the end, the core tenet of our hobby *SHOULD * about enjoyment and fun.

We have lost our way once we lose that.

My main request is for you all to please, please be good to each other. We all love games but we all are from different backgrounds and as such have differing opinions on everything.

There will be a natural clash and arguments as a result, but there is no reason why we can't do it with mutual respect.

I am not sure when or if I will return. There's really no reason why I should. I have thoroughly went back over the Threadmarks and there is nothing more I am willing to add. So it's time for me to step away.

In my heart, I feel we are heading into the greatest generation of gaming yet. I just turned 51 years old and I just recently got a chance to play candy crush with my 7 month old granddaughter, bringing me great joy.

At any rate, I love you all and stay safe and be good to each other.

K. Lee

tenor.gif

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
No insider has ever been "lost" because they were too accurate with the things they share. They only go away when they've gone too far in making claims about things they didn't know to be true, and it ended up backfiring on them. That's when they leave.

This as absolutely ridiculous. The absolute lack of empathy in this thread is shocking.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
So yeah.

I have requested a self ban from the forum. I'm just waiting for a response from the mods

I really, really should have dipped out the night of the VGAs but it didn't quite work out that way. I have become a disruptive poster and frankly I am not really comfortable with the attention. I never have been.

I want to say thanks to all for everything.

I honestly feel you guys will be really happy with the games and consoles you get from MS/Sony.

In the end, the core tenet of our hobby *SHOULD * about enjoyment and fun.

We have lost our way once we lose that.

My main request is for you all to please, please be good to each other. We all love games but we all are from different backgrounds and as such have differing opinions on everything.

There will be a natural clash and arguments as a result, but there is no reason why we can't do it with mutual respect.

I am not sure when or if I will return. There's really no reason why I should. I have thoroughly went back over the Threadmarks and there is nothing more I am willing to add. So it's time for me to step away.

In my heart, I feel we are heading into the greatest generation of gaming yet. I just turned 51 years old and I just recently got a chance to play candy crush with my 7 month old granddaughter, bringing me great joy.

At any rate, I love you all and stay safe and be good to each other.

K. Lee
You're a cool dude! You definitely have a place here whenever/if you decide to come back.

Besides, you wouldn't want Era going crazy speculating on which game you saw, would you? Because we will!

Thanks for everything, Klee.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

If someone were truly confident in their sources they would be sticking around for their moment of vindication when the final specs are confirmed. If they were not confident they'd get out sooner rather than later, because the moment everything is 100% confirmed the house of cards comes collapsing down around them, and no one wants to stick around for that moment. That's the moment when people begin quoting old posts, and pointing out you were wrong about this, this, this, and this.
Your post is literally what drives insiders away, please just stop. Basically telling people who know how the industry works FAR better than you "this is how you should be acting, this is what you should be telling me, I know better than you what is and isn't acceptable to post" is just asinine.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, it would. But it would be a good configuration for a devkit(and those devkits look like it's probable). It would be slightly more powerful, which is common. But if PS5 run at 1800-1850, it would be 8,28-8,51 TF. And given 1.25 RDNA to GCN performance ratio, it would hit 10.35-10.63 GCN TF, right around Stadia target.

For me this is the strongest argument against the leak, but it is probably just missing information/too early in the process. PS5 will have hardware-based RT, it has been confirmed multiple times officially. I think that expecting customized chips is silly, they will run with whatever AMD has, exactly as MS.

This is crazy. Even 8.5 is twice PS4 Pro in raw flops and probably more like 2.5 in performance and that's before you even include CPU and SSD. We're talking here around 5 original PS4 in raw flops and even more in performance. X360 had around 240MF to Xbox 1 1.3TF after clock increase. Precisely the same distance.

Devs often don't see all the picture(PS4 RAM story) and early devkits do not necessarily represent final hardware. People don't have to lie - they might just be wrong. We will soon know for sure, but at the moment I see how MS is communicating and I don't think they would do it that way if they weren't really comfortable when it comes to power. Sony mentions a lot of innovations in materials(audio, SSD, haptics etc.), which suggests they want to position as holistic, balanced device, which would fit the PS4 narrative. That would also suggest they are repeating the strategy that worked(and PS4 was quite similar in terms of power to what 8.5TF PS5 would be). The only difference is that now competition will not have weaker and more expensive device and I do not predicts any weird policies warranting backlash.
Good post. I wish we could stick to the topic :)

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Klee says he's leaving and a bunch of children come out of the woodwork to try to discredit him. As sad as it is predictable.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And it's this quote that's brought him nearly all the hassle he talks of. Out of pure curiosity are there gamers on here that will make their purchasing decisions on a console having 1 or so more TF than another? I'd be surprised, then again maybe I wouldn't.
Which is wild, because before that... what now seems like a nuclear bomb... dropped, him talking about the game seen running on PS5 hardware wasn't an issue.

All the lil info we got was fine until that. After that, you could literary hear the clanking of the warrior armor.

And its sad. One can literally go back thru the OTs from day one ....as in OT1, before the threads were merged....and see the ebb n flow of the discussion and see folks true colors. To this day.

To be fair, it didn't just happen to Klee. It happened to folks with Xbox info too. It just seems so prolonged, extra with what's happening to Klee.

For folks in their position, I wanna thank him and Matt for trying to keep the speculation, discussion open for debate and not so one sided. And that's with Matt and his educated guess about the Series X being more powerful. There's always room for debate, no matter what some ppl think.

PlayStation Meeting 2013

Announced: January 31, 2013 (https://youtu.be/d-3GMHIgR-U)
Invites sent: January 31, 2013 (https://www.wired.com/2013/01/playstation-meeting-2013/)
Date held: February 20, 2013
FY2012 Q3 Earnings Announcement: February 7, 2013.

PlayStation Meeting 2020

Announced: TBA
Invites sent: N/A (?)
Date held: TBA
FY2019 Q3 Earnings Announcement: February 4, 2020.

---

Given a potential correlation between announcement of a PlayStation Meeting and the earnings announcement, based on the 2013 would give an announcement of PlayStation Meeting 2020 on January 28, 2020. A gap of three weeks (20 days) from then would put the meeting itself on monday February 17, 2020.

There was a rumor last year of the meeting being scheduled for February 12, 2020. If the meeting is indeed scheduled for February I expect at least an announcement of it prior to the FY2019 Q3 Earnings Announcement on February 4.

Hmm, I posted the back button for the DS4 is supposed to be available Feb 4 from Best Buy, I'll take this for the PS Meeting, lol.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It just doesn't really add up at this point to be anything beyond these 2 basic scenarios.

• Xbox Series X approximately 12.X+TF ($499) > PS5 12.XTF ($499) - This is the one where Klee has somehow had the goods on the whole situation for both platform holders from his 3rd party developer buddy from the beginning, but I would still expect after seeing the form factor and gigantic SOC that Xbox will tweak clocks as necessary to achieve a paper raw processing crown given their messaging about power.
  • Xbox Series X approximately 12TF ($499) > PS5 9.2TF ($399) - Sony targeted a cheaper launch price and power balance because they aren't doing a 2 SKU approach at launch, and this may be their best business decision ultimately.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

At least you finally let your true colors show, thanks.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I agree with everything here. A roughly 8.5-9 TF console (which seems more and more likely) is a great console for a supposed 399 price. The only reason people will act like it's "bad" is because it's going to be directly compared to the stronger console.

I also think the early marketing for both consoles is incredibly telling. Xbox is marketing power and speed, literally giving actual specs in terms of tera flops numbers, and is showing off their chip. They're clearly very proud of it.

PS5 hasn't marked anything in terms of power. They didn't list a "powerful GPU" as one of their 5 things at CES. It's telling, people don't want to believe it right now but when the specs are unveiled the picture will become clear.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Or maybe there's something in the full specs that can trace back to his friend and you're just being ignorant. At this point your just doing the usual "he's full of shit comment".

That doesn't seem logical but you could just omit that part... Not that complicated.
No one is doing this. This is a super asinine response.

People really don't understand that NDAs come with very real financial and legal consequences, do they? Taking a risk like that for a forum would be downright stupid regardless of how likely you are to get caught.

Lol I work at a software firm I know how NDAs work... I am saying some things cannot be traced back to him. How are the specs going to be traced back to 1 specific person?? plz tell me...makes no sense. The most likely and simplest explanation is that he doesn't know them.

ProPsX

Dec 28, 2019

Klee is gone like a prince and he will come back like a king!

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

We'll see ;)

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Devs have target specs, those are shared early in the sharing info process. This was talked a million times by now and you guys keep talking about devkit performances/hardware.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't seem logical but you could just omit that part... Not that complicated.

Lol I work at a software firm I know how NDAs work... I am saying some things cannot be traced back to him. How are the specs going to be traced back to 1 specific person?? plz tell me...makes no sense. The most likely and simplest explanation is that he doesn't know them.
Ah, so you're just straight up calling him a liar. Awesome.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
This as absolutely ridiculous. The absolute lack of empathy in this thread is shocking.
If someone steps up to the plate and claims to have insider information the onus is on them from that moment forward. No one made someone become an insider, they chose to take on that label because they wanted to tell us stuff supposedly no one else knows. When the "insider" things they claimed turn out to be not true, well, this is the outcome.

Your post is literally what drives insiders away, please just stop. Basically telling people who know how the industry works FAR better than you "this is how you should be acting, this is what you should be telling me, I know better than you what is and isn't acceptable to post" is just asinine.
I have a friend who works for a pretty big development studio. He occasionally tells me things that no one in the public knows, but you won't see me here talking about it. If you decide to play that game, and you like the attention and start getting carried away with the things you claim, well, it tends to not end well.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Naw people are talking about XSX. Get an early start on mindshare. They are showing the Silicon so they are not worried about Sony. I do agree that when PS5 is finally confirmed, people will go crazy. I think when XSX specs are revealed, people will also go mad. Next-gen IMO will be the best one yet. They both will be competing hard for our gaming dollars. Games will look and run better. PC games will look and run better. Win-win for all gamers.
I get the mindshare argument, but I do feel that MS might have talked about the next generation a bit too early. I wonder what X1X sales would have been like if they had waited. I know I almost did not buy my X because I thought it was a dead console (deep discounts pried my wallet open lol). Confidence in what comes next is good, but the timing made me feel maybe they were being a bit more cocky than they should be. Seeing the technology leaps we're talking about, I can definitely understand their excitement, though.

And 100% agreed that this upcoming generation will be a win for gamers. I particularly hope that we will start seeing even more acceleration in capabilities over time now that the concept of generations has some cracks in it.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Ciao Kleegamefan, all the info you gave in this thread drove a lot of discussion. Some good, some bad, but that's the nature of this forum. Don't let few fanboys affect your enjoyment of participation. Drop back in whenever you feel like.

Until then take care. Have a blast with your family!

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If someone steps up to the plate and claims to have insider information the onus is on them from that moment forward. No one made someone become an insider, they chose to take on that label because they wanted to tell us stuff supposedly no one else knows. When the "insider" things they claimed turn out to be not true, well, this is the outcome.

I have a friend who works for a pretty big development studio. He occasionally tells me things that no one in the public knows, but you won't see me hear talking about it. If you decide to play that game, and you like the attention and start getting carried away with the things you claim, well, it tends to not end well.
LOL wow now you're just making shit up. What has be been proven wrong on? All he's done is refuse to give any more info and say we have to wait for full reveals. You really should just stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.