• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart IMO depends on how expensive the others are. If xsx is genuinely 599 then Lockhart is necessary. If both xsx and ps5 are 499 and have a path to cost reduce to eg 399 then it doesn't seem as necessary (year 1 isn't casual users anyway)

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things is it's worst than the Xbox 360 arcade since the specs much lower .
It going to be interesting to see if tier systems and pricing work at the beginning of the gen and how well.
True.
The worst part is... it cant be like $200.. I just dont see people saying "I want to spend $300 on a console 1 third as powerful as the Series X or PS5"

That and the massive uptick of 4K tvs at this point... 1080P is fast becoming a dinosaur in gaming. Not sure who wants to pay $60 a game to enjoy it at 1080P either (cant imagine most people in the US), and then pay for gamepass to play games in 1080P in 2021 and beyond.

No one I know is interested in Lockhart. None would even consider it for their kids. It's Series X /PS5 and a Switch.

In my opinion... the Switch will continue to outsell the Lockhart and they will battle it out at a similar pricepoint.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
CES isn't really the show for something like reram. Reset your clocks for computex.

I was hoping we might see reram as part of their Alpha camera lineup, but they didn't focus too much on that here. There are camera focused events coming up so there's still a chance.

Pro camera users are used to paying a premium and a new memory tech dozens of times faster than current memory seems like a great fit for high speed photography and 8K video.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I still believe that Lockhart should be a portable device.

This would increase the chance of double dipping, not only XSX owners but also likely many PS5 owners.

The Alienware UFO showed (at least here) that there is some thirst for a device like that (even though I doubt MS would make it a fully fledged windows machine).

If MS could hide Surface Duo, then what else could they hide.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Found this in the PS5 sub reddit, how likely is this scenario to be true?

hs0bzyc4fg941.jpg

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

This would increase the chance of double dipping, not only XSX owners but also likely many PS5 owners.

The Alienware UFO showed (at least here) that there is some thirst for a device like that (even though I doubt MS would make it a fully fledged windows machine).

Do we have specs for the UFO (clever name)? I would think the challenge of cooling a 4 TF device like Lockhart in a portable fashion to be interesting. From my memory, isn't Switch 1 TF?

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017

While this would definitely be a good idea, I doubt it's technically feasible. (Maybe by using Nvidia tech)

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Which, funnily, is the one thing that everyone should agree on, yet doesn't.

Ignoring all other information, it will either be a 36 CU chip at lower clock speeds, which would imply 7-8 TF, or it will be a larger chip. It won't be a 36 CU chip clocked at the very high end of what is physically possible. That is just not plausible, neither technologically nor economically.

sure it is. amd is going to have new chips and new processes by november, and the 40CU 5700Xt already boosts to 1905 mhz. New 7+ process alone should give them 10% more clocks.

I agree 2ghz is still aggressive though, just hardly impossible.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If I had legit info, I wouldn't say a word here. People don't listen anyway lol.

Even Jason, with a reputation like his, is hand waved so Github can run wild.
If you had legit info the last thing that you should do is post it online for clout.
Also you might not want to upset a multi billion dollar conpany by breaking NDA. An NDA is a binding contract, and companies will be sure to enforce them and take them seriously. if someone breaks an NDA just to become an insider on a gaming forum, they can get sued and also even pay financial damages to the company. These lawsuits and fines are serious money, especially since the person is sharing industry secrets.

I like you enough to not see you deal with that.​

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wth???
Why did Sony remove this tweet?

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
PS5 PS5 PS5 PS5
|___________ |
\ (•◡•) /
\ /
---
‎‎ | |

See you this holiday.

Does that mean the PS5 won't release this year?

Last edited:

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Do we have specs for the UFO (clever name)? I would think the challenge of cooling a 4 TF device like Lockhart in a portable fashion to be interesting. From my memory, isn't Switch 1 TF?

AMD provides a chip for a Surface, there might have something in the pipe that fits a form like a portable device.
Besides, who knows.. perhaps when docked the machine goes up to 4TF thanks to an extra chip in the dock.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Found this in the PS5 sub reddit, how likely is this scenario to be true?

hs0bzyc4fg941.jpg

Its complete rubbish,
  1. Having a seperate chip for raytracing is a poor decision and would likely lead to poor performance.
  2. The AMD raytracing is implemented in the TMUs using fixed function intersection hardware and it is highly likely that this is the raytracing that Microsoft is implementing (and Sony too, but I have no proof of this) based off the blocks I found in the GitHub leaks. These fixed function units are likely not measured in FLOPs, and therefore them having 'TFLOPS' doesn't really make sense.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
One really nice thing that came out of CES from AMD (which doesn't seem to be getting much attention here), is how power efficient AMD have made an 8c/16t Zen2 for use in ultrathin form factor notebooks. To me that suggests that the amount of power drawn by these new consoles could be less than everyone was predicting previously.

Before the best case seemed to be 35-45w for a full Zen2 8c/16t part which has led speculation around how much a cut-down cache version would draw, but I doubt anyone thought 15w for a full cache version (+ 8 Vega CUs) was possible.

Thermals may not be so bad after all if AMD can apply this same wizardry to the GPU part of the APU.

I also think that people concerned about high clock speeds for the GPU may be in for a surprise, I think 5700 cards are not representative of what the newer NAVI based parts will be capable of, I'm pretty sure that AMD have made significant gains to clocks as they've become more familiar with the process node

the 15w chip is interesting It I'd expect it to go over 15w with all cores + GPU blazing. But still good to see

as For clock speed / power improvements for Navi - I'll wait and see. Too many times AMD have talked about improvements but they still tend to run hot/suck power. Hopefully customer pressure from MS and Sony will result in improvements, and the 4800 shows there is room for improvement. So fingers crossed

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Katzenbuckel

Aug 18, 2019
USB-A plus on one end, usb-c on the other going to controller/headset/whatever. USB-C connectors are still probably WAAAAY more expensive to make than usb-a. The difference last year was something like dimes for USB-A vs dollars for USB-C. This was in relation to implementing USB-C plugs into PC towers/enclosures.

Yeah probably it is more expansive but we are talking about boxes that will sell for the next 5-7 years.
Of course, I do not need USB-C just for the charging of a controller but USB-A is limited to USB3 speeds and there USB3.1 or even 3.2 would help a lot. PLUS the port could theoretically be used for DP but I do not know if it is in the USB specification or it would need more controller chips like for thunderbolt.

Personally I think it would be cheap from MS to have non USB-C ports but it is what I expected as it took them forever to incorporate it into the surface line. I think it is the same as when the only got a HDMI port with the Slim.

My theory was that Sony didn't have anything substantial to work on otherwise, hence the "waiting for big Navi" part.

More "evidence" points to PS5 being on big Navi, and with the knowledge PS5 had dev kits out far longer than Xbox, and Xbox only started sending theirs out in mid November, that could point to Sony using currently available AMD tech back in early 2019 for dev purposes, while Xbox waited for big Navi to be available.

The Oberon chip wouldn't be just for BC, it would to get dev kits out early while Sony waits for AMD on big Navi.

AMD not being able to deliver the specs on the timeline Sony wanted is pretty believable to me.

That is a reasonable theory! The question is just if it is economically reasonable to develop Oberon only to test BC before the final chip is ready? Would it be possible to use it for a PS4Pro super slim?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
AMD provides a chip for a Surface, there might have something in the pipe that fits a form like a portable device.
Besides, who knows.. perhaps when docked the machine goes up to 4TF thanks to an extra chip in the dock.

Yeah those Surfaces are killer. I went with a Lenovo Yoga instead because of the price/use case for me but they are attractive devices.

I would love to understand the engineering marvel at getting a second chip outside the main unit to interact with each other. Designing how that would all work would be insanity haha

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping we might see reram as part of their Alpha camera lineup, but they didn't focus too much on that here. There are camera focused events coming up so there's still a chance.

Pro camera users are used to paying a premium and a new memory tech dozens of times faster than current memory seems like a great fit for high speed photography and 8K video.

don't Sony already have the semi-propriety XQD format for cameras? Not sure I can see reram as a removable storage, and wouldn't cameras use cheaper/faster ram for active buffering?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Wth???

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
PS5 PS5 PS5 PS5
|___________ |
\ (•◡•) /
\ /
---
‎‎ | |

See you this holiday.

lol. PS5 doomed yet again

or you know, you are reading into stuff way too much, again.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Wth???

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
PS5 PS5 PS5 PS5
|___________ |
\ (•◡•) /
\ /
---
‎‎ | |

See you this holiday.

More likely it means they will see you sometime before holiday 2020, like for example in Feb for a PS meeting. Or in June for an E3 conference.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
More likely it means they will see you sometime before holiday 2020, like for example in Feb for a PS meeting. Or in June for an E3 conference.

That post has PS5 written 4 times, this hints at this console being to play all past gen PlayStation games, that Sony didn't want to divulge yet.
(•◡•)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
don't Sony already have the semi-propriety XQD format for cameras? Not sure I can see reram as a removable storage, and wouldn't cameras use cheaper/faster ram for active buffering?

The dream of ReRAM seems to be to eventually replace NAND, I'm not sure what shape or form we can expect it in yet though.

Ah well, wait and see 😃

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Wth???

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
PS5 PS5 PS5 PS5
|___________ |
\ (•◡•) /
\ /
---
‎‎ | |

See you this holiday.

Probably because it said "See you this holiday" which may have led some to believe we wouldn't be hearing ANYTHING until then, which would go against their CES messaging that we would hear more in the coming months. It's a small difference, and yes most people would assume they meant the actual launch, but it may have been one of those "can't be too careful" cases.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
The dream of ReRAM seems to be to eventually replace NAND, I'm not sure what shape or form we can expect it in yet though.

Ah well, wait and see 😃

Yeah from what I remember they are touting it as scaling better then NAND (eventually) so it should be cheaper at smaller process nodes. Dreams of a mid gen refresh with ReRAM replacing SSD :P

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
but would you Buy a console in November 2020 that plays at 1080p if you're replacing your TV less than 12 months later?
I agree with this, even people that currently have 1080p TV's will need to consider whether they want to buy a new console that will only ever do 1080p even after they eventually upgrade their TV to 4K. We've never seen a console launch with 2 sku's that are so different in terms of power though, so it's hard to guess how the market would react.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My theory was that Sony didn't have anything substantial to work on otherwise, hence the "waiting for big Navi" part.

More "evidence" points to PS5 being on big Navi, and with the knowledge PS5 had dev kits out far longer than Xbox, and Xbox only started sending theirs out in mid November, that could point to Sony using currently available AMD tech back in early 2019 for dev purposes, while Xbox waited for big Navi to be available.

The Oberon chip wouldn't be just for BC, it would to get dev kits out early while Sony waits for AMD on big Navi.

AMD not being able to deliver the specs on the timeline Sony wanted is pretty believable to me.
To me that sounds very reasonable. I just don't understand why people assume that Oberon has gone/will go to waste ? Oberon has given the devs one year extra to get familiar with the api and dev tools and custom ssd while waiting for final apu to be ready. So they get their game running on ps5 hardware rather than looking at target spec sheet.

that's has to be worth it for Sony to spend that few million dollars on and get as many games as possible running on ps5 imo

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah from what I remember they are touting it as scaling better then NAND (eventually) so it should be cheaper at smaller process nodes. Dreams of a mid gen refresh with ReRAM replacing SSD :P

I'm really hoping that mobile phones will cause reram to take off and bring its price down while providing money to get larger capacity...

...then make the PS5 Portable with 1TB of ReRAM 😜

Status
Not open for further replies.