• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if oberon and Arden are just gpus being tested before being put into an apu?

Arden is 100% the GPU in Scarlett. Anyone w/ $20 and an xbox can see that. The D3D driver for scarlett is ..._arden.dll
---------------------------------------------------------
Xbox User Mode Driver for Direct3D 12[Retail] Game Scarlett
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
---------------------------------------------------------

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Did he leave Microsoft unceremoniously? Seems weird for him to throw shade at his former team so publicly like that. You'd think a simple "both are great" would get thrown in somewhere there.

Sony definitely isn't waiting 6 more months to announce the thing and show it off. I'd be stunned if we haven't seen the box by March.

Ybarra prob got into some heat over his Twitter activity seeing as he was a senior exec. This is all conjecture but I think he maybe got into it with Phil at some point as he was quiet after the dust up. Soon after announcing he was leaving for Blizzard. Either that or he's playing a great role as a mole preparing for a Blizzard acquisition 🤣

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Looks like it will have an external power brick..
Actually I think not.

As Gamechanger87 said Brad Sams says it's the power port like XoX has:

xbox-one-s-power-cable-1.png

The render Brad posted is terrible.. the port is way too small, looks like a USB-C port with room for the cable to fit in. It should be bigger than the ethernet port.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I have no problem if PS5 is 33% less powerful as a whole (which will be difficult to measure). I have a problem if they are on the same price.
Agreed. If they were to cost the same, then I could understand someone being disappointed. What I can't understand, however, is the zero-sum mentality which seems so common.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
It's the same one as XBX and Brad said it in his video.

Exactly...he says the power port is exactly the same as the XB1X. To me, it doesn't look like a USB port in the slightest...it's an oval shape. Anyway, even if it was a power-brick, I dunno why people dislike them so much? Personally I would prefer to keep the heat from the power supply out of the main box, but that's just me.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
Interesting! I'm still standing by my prediction that series X may have a modular design with a clear path for future upgrades. The top part looks to be removable to reveal the access to individual modules.
That would be ace if true!

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
For what it's worth, a 9-10TF console is not $399. It's $499. A bunch of folks here live in some warped reality when it comes to pricing but don't let that warp your expectations.

PS5 at 9-10TF with an SSD and a good CPU isn't going to be $399 unless Sony is taking upwards of a $200 loss per console.

I disagree, but that's just me.

You are paying for surface area. If the chip is the same size as chips in existing boxes, then it doesn't matter what's inside the chip. And the size determines many other factors (case, cooling, etc).

And we still don't know how much memory is on these machines, or the size of the SSD. If these have 12-16GB of GDDR6 and 1tb SSD or less, then you have a very manageable launch BOM with a roadmap to get to $0 loss.

IMO too much analysis is done on what PC parts costs. My speculation that Sony would be 8-9TFLOPS was derived from hitting a $399 price.

But that's just my experience. Lots of things could have changed.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. If they were to cost the same, then I could understand someone being disappointed. What I can't understand, however, is the zero-sum mentality which seems so common.
What I don't understand is the "I don't care about 3D audio, haptic controllers are worthless, and a faster SSD is meaningless and wasteful, " nonsense.

THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THE TERAFLOPS.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you know that's power?

Looks like how a lot of USB-C ports look, with room to fir the shielding around the port itself so that it's really secured.

But yeah could be custom USB-C-ish power port I guess.

He writes 3 times in 3 paragraphs that it doesn't have USB-C ports

As it stands right now, the series X features, on the back of the hardware, two USB-A ports (of the SuperSpeed variety), ethernet, a single HDMI port, optical audio, and a power connection. There is also another port on the back that may be used for debugging but there wasn't an agreement on the nature of its functionality. The image at the top of this post shows a basic outline of how those ports appear on the actual hardware.

Also, on the back of the device are openings for air intake as well; all of the ports are located on the lower half of the hardware. Keep in mind, there is also a USB-A port on the front of the console but for now, it looks like Microsoft is sticking with the older USB style port.

I do wish that the series X would use Type-C as that is where the market is headed and is more user-friendly but that's not currently be used on the early hardware iterations. As always, these ports could change before release but that's what I am hearing the series X is using today.

USB SuperSpeed is USB3.0 btw

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Ybarra prob got into some heat over his Twitter activity seeing as he was a senior exec. This is all conjecture but I think he maybe got into it with Phil at some point as he was quiet after the dust up. Soon after announcing he was leaving for Blizzard. Either that or he's playing a great role as a mole preparing for a Blizzard acquisition 🤣
My gawd, imagine that, Ybarra, 007. Secretly stil waiting for the right time to bend the will of Kotick, and sell to MS.

Nos

Oct 27, 2017

You are paying for surface area. If the chip is the same size as chips in existing boxes, then it doesn't matter what's inside the chip. And the size determines many other factors (case, cooling, etc).

And we still don't know how much memory is on these machines, or the size of the SSD. If these have 12-16GB of GDDR6 and 1tb SSD or less, then you have a very manageable launch BOM with a roadmap to get to $0 loss.

IMO too much analysis is done on what PC parts costs. My speculation that Sony would be 8-9TFLOPS was derived from hitting a $399 price.

Is that really how these things work?
I always thought that you also pay for the tech inside the chip.

Aug 26, 2019
So in terms of just graphics, at 9TF we should be looking at a leap somewhat comparable to PS3->PS4, and then enhancements to game design with the SSD and CPU? That doesn't sound bad at all.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cheers as usual for your input, Albert.

The way they are rolling out the info into launch for the XSX seems to be a wee bit different compared to what you would have went through with the XB1 launch, lol.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Re-rendered the power port more to scale and to reflect the type of port it is, 30 second job in MS paint lol

iaiZIEM.png

Should be an internal PSU then; no power brick.

Same as the cable for PS3/PS4/Xbox One S/Xbox One S

Which I think maxes out at 275watts.

edit: Nope, was misled, it's like 1000+ watts

Last edited:

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Is that really how these things work?
I always thought that you also pay for the tech that made the chip possible.

From the perspective of the BOM, yes.

I don't want to get into the business relationships and how these things are funded, but if you're focused on how the console manufactures look at pricing and profitability, you pay for a giant sheet of wafers. Some of them are good, some of them are bad. How many working wafers you get off that sheet is how you price the chip.

Bigger chip = less wafers = more cost.
Smaller chip = more wafers (also better yields) = less cost.

The technology that's actually inside the chip is largely irrelevant to the costs at the scale of consoles. That's why PC price parts analogies don't work.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, getting to see the PS5 logo and know what consists of back ports on Series X was more than I expected for CES 2020.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Re-rendered the power port more to scale and to reflect the type of port it is, 30 second job in MS paint lol

iaiZIEM.png

If this is real, then the motherboard is in the center and uses both sides?

Also, that vaguely SSD sized hole is interesting...

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Cheers as usual for your input, Albert.

The way they are rolling out the info into launch for the XSX seems to be a wee bit different compared to what you would have went through with the XB1 launch, lol.

Very true. However, that's what's fun about watching from the outside - see new approaches and how the industry responds. I think they are doing a really good job so far, even if I may have done it differently.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly...he says the power port is exactly the same as the XB1X. To me, it doesn't look like a USB port in the slightest...it's an oval shape. Anyway, even if it was a power-brick, I dunno why people dislike them so much? Personally I would prefer to keep the heat from the power supply out of the main box, but that's just me.

Those perforations could be Intake/exhaust for the PSU?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Well not exactly - if the surface area is the same the wafer price and yields may make a 7nm more expensive than the same sized 16 or 28nm chip.

But yeah it's a license + manufacturing cost and retail pricing of GPUs is irrelevant

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but what do you know /s

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
From the perspective of the BOM, yes.

I don't want to get into the business relationships and how these things are funded, but if you're focused on how the console manufactures look at pricing and profitability, you pay for a giant sheet of wafers. Some of them are good, some of them are bad. How many working wafers you get off that sheet is how you price the chip.

Bigger chip = less wafers = more cost.
Smaller chip = more wafers (also better yields) = less cost.

The technology that's actually inside the chip is largely irrelevant to the costs at the scale of consoles. That's why PC price parts analogies don't work.
Hey, just wanted to say that it's so cool that you're stopping by here! :)
ps Please don't forget Sweden this time... We had to wait almost a full year for the XB1 launch :/

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Well not exactly - if the surface area is the same the wafer price and yields may make a 7nm more expensive than the same sized 16 or 28nm chip.

But yeah it's a license + manufacturing cost and retail pricing of GPUs is irrelevant

I wasn't comparing 7nm to 16nm. You are right that as nodes shrink, manufacturing goes up (IIRC 16nm was the last time it was projected to be cheaper).

That said, the point still stands that what you are paying for is the number of usable chips you get from a sheet, regardless of what actual technology is inside that chip. That development effort was paid for separately.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Is there a reason when people speculate that between the ps5 and xsx they always give the cpu clock lower for the ps5?

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
guys chill, it will have USB-C, first and foremost because of its Controller. Even the Xbox One Gamepad of the Elite series has USB-C

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

iaiZIEM.png

I think that cable goes to 2.5A @ 250v so should be plenty of watts

Status
Not open for further replies.