• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I can assure you I'm one of the least of us here arguing in bad faith. I will support BOTH these systems, playing every game that gets my attention whereas there are people on here who literally want one or the other to fail so their console of choice can win. To be totally honest, I'm simply not cut from the same petty breed as some posters here. I have a favorite. I don't hate or want the other to not sell consoles or for each and all their exclusives from their first parties to fail. We have quite a few here that are EXACTLY that.
I'm extremely humble. Nobody is as humble as I am.

I'm just surprised Sony even bothered to mention the PS5 at CES. It really isn't the platform these companies use to announce console related stuff. So now we wait a full month for the next State of Play stream that reveals the thing I guess?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Still, however, there are still significant hardware micro-architectural and system architectural differences that mean a PS5 BC solution requires some level of software abstraction to run PS4 games without the need to modify the PS4 game code.
I agree. My point is that this software abstraction layer is also needed to run PS5 games on PS5. It's not something specific to BC. Of course in the console case you'll likely have a PS5 API for PS5 hardware "driver" AND a PS4 API for PS5 hardware "driver", so in that sense it's a software for BC, but this PS4 API for PS5 hardware "driver" is likely to be an evolution of the PS4 API for PS4 hardware "driver", not an entirely new software built from scratch for BC, due to large similarities in the hardware architecture between PS4 and PS5.

Edit: The same could be said for the PS5 API for PS5 hardware "driver". Unless Sony decided to revolutionize its graphics API entirely, it's likely to be an evolution of the PS4 API for PS4 hardware "driver".

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Do y'all think there's a chance of another Wired article coming out before the PS Meeting? Maybe give more info and also have that drop the date of the meeting

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If PlayStation Meeting happens in February around the 20th/21st (like PS4 announcement) then we are right now 1 and 1/2 months away!

2nd Feb is my preferred date solely because its a pailndrome and I think works for all US/EU/JPN date formats. but it is a Sunday (maybe good for people to watch)? 02022020

20 Feb may be more likely.
20200220 in Japan
02202020 in US
20022020 in ROW

Feb 26, 2018
Well I was right about Sony just flexing numbers of ps4 and nothing more. I dont count ps5 logo as a news lol

Judging by the numbers they did 2019 it is obvious what is Sony plan about ps5 marketing. They will keep reminding people ps5 is coming but wont go telling us solid info until closer to release because they still want to sell ps4 in 2020. They will do +-10mil and probably end ps4 life with almost 120mil consoles sold

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

Update (8AM): It turns out that AMD used a fan-made render of the Xbox Series X during their presentation. In a statement to The Verge, AMD admitted that "the Xbox Series X imagery used during the AMD CES press conference was not sourced from Microsoft and does not accurately represent the design or features of the upcoming console."

The AMD representative went on to say that the model was sourced from TurboSquid.com, a 3D model marketplace, and indeed one model there matches what was shown on-screen exactly. It's a baffling move given that AMD is partnering with Microsoft on the device.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
ENpMdxVWsAI-8kk.jpg

Thats nice ;d

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm extremely humble. Nobody is as humble as I am.

I'm just surprised Sony even bothered to mention the PS5 at CES. It really isn't the platform these companies use to announce console related stuff. So now we wait a full month for the next State of Play stream that reveals the thing I guess?

He's permanently banned, don't bother.

He's also lighting up on Twitter about the ban. It's great stuff.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I remember April 2019, prior to the PS5 Wired article, when hardware-based Ray Tracing was totally out of the question for next-gen consoles and not even the hypest dual-GPU/HBM crazy fanboy would even dear suggest it. Even after the article it (hardware acceleration) was doubted upon because the wording didn't clarify enough.
Everyone interested in high-end gaming should thank whatever cosmic forces that console gaming managed to get onto this next paradigm shift just barely in time for next-gen. PC gamers should be celebrating in the streets as adoption will become far greater and with RTX/RDNA2 being able to take things to 11.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to say it - Godfall showed off reflections which might be RT ones... But also could not be. You need specific surface types/Camera angles to say it definitively
Ah, ha, glad you mentioned it. I was looking at an admittedly low quality GIF and I wasn't sure myself if they were RT reflections or traditional SSR. For one thing, they seemed much sharper than current SSR methods but I also noticed some dithering on them

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Maybe, it might be nothing major. Though there was a comment from some DICE developer talking about the level of horsepower needed to do 'proper' 3D audio, so maybe the chip is intended toward offloading that. And is taking on a lot more of that computational duty than audio hardware on the previous gen could. It will work with standard hardware, TV speakers, though Cerny said you'd get the best experience on headphones.

I think the raw computing power needed to create realistic audio models is largely overlooked. In the past, we have managed to create fairly good representations of acoustic modelling through a lot of trickery and clever techniques. The ability to fully realise automated 3D audio is a big step forward for game audio and will certainly result in much richer experiences.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm excited for the audio possibilities but I will be bitterly disappointed if the PS5 doesn't feature proper Bluetooth headphone support with which to take advantage of this. All I want to do is buy XM3s and use them for my console and running all my media through that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that nags at me: I believe Klee said he's seen the final spec sheet, but he can't reveal even part of it because it would put his source at risk. Doesn't make sense to me.

not sure whether they would do it, but it'd be fairly simple to tweak some of the minor numbers in a way to make individual spec sheets tracable. Although if you're only providing an overview of the data it should be fairly safe to share.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that nags at me: I believe Klee said he's seen the final spec sheet, but he can't reveal even part of it because it would put his source at risk. Doesn't make sense to me.
Perhaps there's a variability to spec sheets with some studios having dated versus outdated information.

Unsure, but Kleegamefan will have shut down every single oracle in this thread if his information is accurate.

One thing is for certain, PTT has become very unreliable. AquariusZi had posted the 350mm figure for XSX and 300 for PS5. This information was incredibly off the mark.

beta

Dec 31, 2019

One good way to identity leaks is to give people slightly different values for things that uniquely identify them or at least reduce it to a subset of people it could be from. You could easily do this in a way where the final specs are close enough to what you've given that it doesnt make a difference.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'd like to put forth a question here for all of you to consider. If you all were in Klee or any other insider's position, would you really take the risk to jeopardize your friends' livelihood for a bunch of strangers online arguing over which piece of plastic is superior? Keep in mind now, this could be a friend who you've known for 10 years and helped you through tough times. This friend could be working at the studio of their dreams after years of hard work and if they were ever ousted, boom. There goes the dream.

Sweep14

Oct 27, 2017
One good way to identity leaks is to give people slightly different values for things that uniquely identify them or at least reduce it to a subset of people it could be from. You could easily do this in a way where the final specs are close enough to what you've given that it doesnt make a difference.

Yes but nothing stops Klee to give us ranged values based on the specs he have (Tflops between 10.8 and 11.4 or between 11.1 and 11.8 for example)...

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Sony headquarters....

Jim Ryan : ok team, 2020 finally here, we have 10 months to plan

Marketing team : ces is coming, can we slip in something so fan can get excited!

JR : hmm, ok that should give some buzz around the media before we start countdown for PlayStation Meeting.

MT : how about we talk about our hardware strengths, since Ms used fast ssd, can we go for ultra?

JR : ok, save the numbers for PlayStation meeting, also let's reveal logo as start of the year. Since we already announced ps5.

After ces 2020...

MT : sir ces went well, media reporting around the world. Positivity all around.

JR : that is great, let's plan for PlayStation Meeting, get cerny here.

MT intern : but sir, resetera breaks because it was just logo from 1st Google search page!

Jim Ryan : ( throw intern off the windows)

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Yes but nothing stops Klee to give us ranged values based on the specs he have (Tflops between 10.8 and 11.4 or between 11.1 and 11.8 for example)...
He did already in a indirect way if you believe him. He said that PS5 was slighty ahead of Xbox and "confirmed" that the latter will be 12ish tflops so we have already somewhat of a ballpark/ range.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I wonder what Microsoft's take on TurboSquid's render is. I can't imagine them being very happy with AMD for using that and possibly providing false information.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
He already said both consoles are double digit / 10.0+. What more do you want? People are doubting him anyways. Saying the PS5 is between 10.0 and 12.0 would not make a difference.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what Microsoft's take on TurboSquid's render is. I can't imagine them being very happy with AMD for using that and possibly providing false information.

I'm sure it's a minor annoyance, but it's hardly the end of the world. You could say it was MS' fault for not making image material available

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
not sure whether they would do it, but it'd be fairly simple to tweak some of the minor numbers in a way to make individual spec sheets tracable. Although if you're only providing an overview of the data it should be fairly safe to share.
Perhaps there's a variability to spec sheets with some studios having dated versus outdated information.

Unsure, but Kleegamefan will have shut down every single oracle in this thread if his information is accurate.

One thing is for certain, PTT has become very unreliable. AquariusZi had posted the 350mm figure for XSX and 300 for PS5. This information was incredibly off the mark.
Ahhh...makes sense. Thanks, guys.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
MS getting a discount now from AMD. Worked like a charm. 499 now possible and was all part of the plan.

:P

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Well I was right about Sony just flexing numbers of ps4 and nothing more. I dont count ps5 logo as a news lol

Judging by the numbers they did 2019 it is obvious what is Sony plan about ps5 marketing. They will keep reminding people ps5 is coming but wont go telling us solid info until closer to release because they still want to sell ps4 in 2020. They will do +-10mil and probably end ps4 life with almost 120mil consoles sold

More like 120M at the end of 2020, but they will still sell PS4 for another 3 years at least, putting final numbers at 130M+-5M.

I think we'll get a proper reveal in February, they will show the console, they probably won't give us exact TF numbers, just like MS did, and won't give us the price until later.

We'll see first party and third party exclusives launch/launch window games as well.

I think this could be huge, because PS5 games will be next gen exclusive, and won't be limited by the need to release on an gimped console with a Jaguar CPU. Can't wait for the reveal of those games, expecting nothing short of glorious for a game like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 as a next gen exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.